Thai immigration chief warned he might face the chop

webfact

All this will do is increase the fees as its now " hard" to do.

Instead of warning with inactive posts, if he really wants some change he should be opening up criminal investigations and threatening with jail time instead of inactive posts

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this will do is increase the fees as its now " hard" to do.

Instead of warning with inactive posts, if he really wants some change he should be opening up criminal investigations and threatening with jail time instead of inactive posts

I agree but the problem is that the person that is pointing the finger better have a clean sheet

I said elsewhere that immigration in Thailand is utterly bent for a fee.

This might be the start of reforming it, and who knows, it might improve the situation.

I think you are on to some thing with the idea of the start to reform it. What other reason would they come out and publically announce that it is going on and heads will roll if not stemmed. If They had no intention of doing any thing about it they would not have said any thing.

Let us hope with the upcoming ASEAN or what ever it is called it might be a big advantage to them to get rid of as much corruption as they can. There will still be corruption the same as any country in the world but it will be a lot less.

God, you really are a government troll aren't you.

The national police chief, Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmuang, issued the warning at a meeting with 259 immigration police officers from the deputy commissioner down to inspectors held at the National Police Office on Monday. Pol Lt-Gen Sakda was however absent at the meeting.

Why Pol Lt-Gen Sakda was absent?

Presumably, temporarily inactive. Alternatively, he might have been busy arranging changes to the list of those receiving cuts from the extra 300 baht per VOA.

Only 6, tip of the iceberg.

He's obviously no clue whats going on in Chiang Mai.

Fire the boss and set up an English Speaking Anonymous whistle-blower line.

Yes, we need a line where we can call, like 1584 for the taxis. It would be good to set up a facebook page where people can post the picture of the offending _______________ (insert appropriate adjective here)

It seems social media is the Achilles heel here. (weak spot)

Does anyone have any first hand experience of an Immigration official taking a bribe? Seems like lots of post about things heard about things happening to others.

I tried to bride an officer a few years back so I wouldn't have to make a trip to Laos for a new Visa. That did not go over well. Lucky I didn't get in a lot of trouble. The officer just threw the money back at me....

Providing service at a substantial charge to extend the stay of foreigners in this country such as arranging student visas for foreigners without actually attending any educational institutes or changing tourist visas into business visas.

The charges range from 12,000-15,000 baht per head.

So it turns out they do endorse young digital nomads living here on Ed visas and skipping classes, as long as they're paying and staying at home quietly (not taking jobs from Thais).

I guess some posters on here can stop moaning about that.

Edited by jspill

The national police chief, Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmuang, issued the warning at a meeting with 259 immigration police officers from the deputy commissioner down to inspectors held at the National Police Office on Monday. Pol Lt-Gen Sakda was however absent at the meeting.

He lost his face and was unable to attend.

That was the most interesting part of the article to me...

The big boss calls an all-hands Immigration meeting, and the head of the unit isn't there?

Seems as though he's really in someone's doghouse. I guess ending up with one's officers selling illegal entry to the country to eventually bomb-making terrorists isn't something you really want on your resume.

Of course, if Somyot, who's already heading out the door, really wanted to get serious about corruption, he wouldn't have to look so far away as his Immigration Division in order to find it... in spades.

I wonder if people realise what's going to happen here. Who do you think will be the loosers in the end of the purge!!! Thai officials No. Imigration officers No. Tourists on 30/60/90 day visas No. Marriage and retirement extension holder You bet your arse it will be. BETTER the devil you know.

I would be interested to know how the suspects arrested in the bombing entered the country? Thus far it seems that we only know how they were trying to leave the country. There seems to be some confusion about what nationality they are and at least one of them was working.

(Edit: a post requesting illegal information has been removed. Please don't directly and specifically discuss illegal activities).

Who pays 300 baht for VOA ??? Never heard of that.

Visa on Arrival is not the same thing as "30 day permission to stay" that most visitors get. 19 countries are allowed to get the VOA ... the most popular of which is CHINA.

Thailand has long been a staging area for a lot of illegal activities. With the recent bombing they are experiencing a little bit of what some of the other countries experience from those who pass through Thailand on their way to do harm in other countries.

Karma is not always kind.

I said elsewhere that immigration in Thailand is utterly bent for a fee.

This might be the start of reforming it, and who knows, it might improve the situation.

I think you are on to some thing with the idea of the start to reform it. What other reason would they come out and publically announce that it is going on and heads will roll if not

stemmed. If They had no intention of doing any thing about it they would not have said any

thing.

Let us hope with the upcoming ASEAN or what ever it is called it might be a big advantage

to them to get rid of as much corruption as they can. There will still be corruption the

same as any country in the world but it will be a lot less.

No, I think you are 180 degrees wrong.

Prayuth is under pressure to do something about corruption, and is also under pressure not to do something about corruption. bear in mind that he himself is alleged to be the long-term beneficiary of long-term Army corruption (value to him alone estimated to be upwards of 450 million baht).

So the obvious strategy to use is that old Thai stand-by, - appear to be doing something with lots of accompanying froth and bubble, send a few people to inactive posts (to return quietly later), bolster your fan club to make lots of noise (usually not very smart noise but usually very emotional noise) and hope for the best.

The art of shaping appearances while steadfastly avoiding substance. Worked well last time... and the time before that... and... and... and. It's not an old Thai strategy because it doesn't work well on Thais.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

If immigration officers can set up a scam, they will. Only 6? Don't make me laugh!

A VOA costs 1000 Baht. The article mentions an "extra fee" of 300 Baht.

(guess you do the usual mixup of visa exempt entry (valid for most Europeans/USA and so on) which is free with visa on arrival (for a list of specific countries).

Just seen:

Visa on Arrival is not the same thing as "30 day permission to stay" that most visitors get. 19 countries are allowed to get the VOA ... the most popular of which is CHINA.

True.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If immigration officers can set up a scam, they will. Only 6? Don't make me laugh!

that you never heard of "that" does not mean the fee of 1,000 Baht doesn't exist. for your information... it does exist:

It will also be necessary to prove that you have funds of at least 10,000 THB per person and 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand. A fee of 1,000 THB is payable upon entry and is subject to change without notice.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-on-arrival.php

The scope of corruption within the Immigration Dept is mind blowing ....an example.

Last Monday I was to pick up my residency letter from opp Promenda which I had paid 500 baht for (with no receipt of course ) the previous Friday.

At 12.50pm, window 2 for pick ups, opened early so up I fronted ,gave the guy, who has been with Imm a long time, my ticket and he grabbed a pile of completed letters

I counted them as he went through going right past mine,I could see my photo, and in total there were 31 letters.

Second time through he found it and handed it to me with a smile "No receipt I asked ? No he replied with a smile

Do the maths 31 x 500 baht =15,500 baht in just one average day for a service if you like to wait 30 days is free.