6 month holiday to europe

HI

I'm trying to plan a holiday for my Thai wife next year.I wish firstly to take her to see some friends in Germany for a month,then onto Holland for a fortnight,then finally to the UK,whereupon after showing her the sights,I shall do approximately 3 months work,before returning with her to Thailand.

If i get a holiday visa for Gernany for my wife,will that also entitle her to visit Holland under the schengen agreement or does this apply only to EU citizens?

I understand i would then need a separate visitors visa for her to visit the UK.

My question is would i need to apply for the Uk visitors visa from Bangkok before making the initial trip to Germany or would i apply for it from either the British embassy in Germany or Holland?

I'm a Briitish citizen from birth.

Many thanks.

you need to apply to the Germans clearly stating your plan .they will give you 45 or 50 days.this is from your day of entry to Germany.as for the UK its a seperate visa and you need to apply in Bangkok also stating your plan .its valid 6 months from date of approval of visa.dont forget you need all supporting documents and if this is your /her first application also piles of other documents not mentioned officially.

First of all , I have no knowledge about what your planning. The above post is one to listen to. My only reason for posting is that on another thread a member applied for visa for his tgf. Think it may have even been to Germany. Anyway they were only staying there for 5 days and planning on moving on. Guess what. She was granted visa valid for 5 days.

A Schengen visa will be required for Germany and a visit visa for the UK.

A UK visit visa (simplistic terms) requires the applicant to show the purpose of the visit, affordability of the stay and reasons why the applicant is likely to return to Thailand.

It is not clear where you are based but if it is Thailand and you have a permanent residence (purchased or lease) there then it can be fairly straight forward to get a visit visa even if you plan to work for a time in the UK. The applicant cannot work of course.

Check: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/446602-uk-visit-visa-basics/

I understand that it might be a little out of date but not much has really changed beyond removal of appeal rights for some categories.

Primary concerns for the Entry Clearance officers are the risk of overstaying plus concerns that efforts are being made to circumvent the settlement rules.

First for the schengen area you have the right to be accompanied by your wife as a eu citizen.

If Germany is the entry country in the schengen area they are responsible for a visa.

It is a visa for the family member of a eu citizen.

Schengen application form:

Field 21 mark other and write family member eu.

Field 24 multiple entries

Field 25 the number 90

Field 29 say 1.11.2015

Field 30 say 30.04.2016

Field 34 the personal data of the eu citizen

and so on.

The right is to stay 90 days in 180 days period without preconditions beside to accompany the eu citizen.

If a embassy don't want to play ball refer to the visahandbook of the eu commission.

UK is a little bit more complicated because the eu law about family members is not valid in the home country of the eu citizen.

• Like 1

First for the schengen area you have the right to be accompanied by your wife as a eu citizen.
If Germany is the entry country in the schengen area they are responsible for a visa.
It is a visa for the family member of a eu citizen.
Schengen application form:
Field 21 mark other and write family member eu.
Field 24 multiple entries
Field 25 the number 90
Field 29 say 1.11.2015
Field 30 say 30.04.2016
Field 34 the personal data of the eu citizen
and so on.
The right is to stay 90 days in 180 days period without preconditions beside to accompany the eu citizen.
If a embassy don't want to play ball refer to the visahandbook of the eu commission.
UK is a little bit more complicated because the eu law about family members is not valid in the home country of the eu citizen.

Clearly you have never had dealings with the German Embassy in Bangkok, one of the strictest around.

Years ago they ensured that their Schengen Visa application forms were different from the ones passed to

other Embassies, a point I complained about to Solvit and the German Foreign Office in Berlin.

mgb you are 100% correct but visa is a black magic art ,even after reminding the embassy of the european commission rules it may not help as goodwill is required and this is not on tap.a first visa application of more than 30 days is a real risk of denial.as i said in first post what is actually wanted to be seen is not on the official list of docs ...why ? because the embassy would be at risk of legal action.so for a good chance of acceptance be modest !

You shouldn't accept thai rules in european embassies. Breaking eu law is not acceptable.

You have to stand up for your rights.

If a embassy don't want to play ball lodge a complaint via Solvit, ministry of foreign affairs of that country, eu commisson.

Europe is not Thailand.

Edited by mgb
  • Like 1

aha mgb and where do you eventually get the visa from, the German embassy, if you go there pushing them with rules and whatever then you risk them saying no, there are many posts on here about the lack of understanding of the rules for EU citizens by this and some other Embassies.

As an extra bit of info, there used to be a link to apply for an Aufenthaltstitel on the German Embassy website for those who wanted to move there permanently with their Thai wives, strangely enough I do not see it on the main page now.

Edited by beano2274
  • Like 2

MGB is correct, details can be found in the (links contained in the) Schengen sticky topic. Short version: as a Thai traveling with British spouse apply under EU rules (freedom of movement directive). You apply at the embassy of the member state that is your main objective. In this case Germany. The Germans must issue a visa ASAP and for free if you show that you are family and intend to travel together. The visa cannot be refused except incase of fraud (including fake marriages) or national security. As the Thai now had the right to be with the EU spouse the embassy must issue a visa for 90 days if requested. You could even settle in Germany or other EU/EEA states under only a few additional conditions. Sadly some embassy staff are either less knowledgable on proper visa processing for EU spouses or they don't give a damn or are even royal c*nts. Incase you ran into issues there is the EU Ombudsman Solvit who ussually respond in a timely manner but also the slow route of notifying the EU Commission (Home Affairs). If the Germans deside to violate EU rights and issue a shorter visa you could complain or travel on it and have it fixed after arrival by any member state or (less nice) simply have your spouse on your side even if the visa would run out aslong as you stick to what the Directive 2004/38 and EU Court of Justice rulings (MRax rulling etc.) dictate. Try to get the Germans to di a proper job (they do a better job then the Spanish ^#$~{%$¥* but the Dutch do one of the best jobs on applying the Directive properly) or change your plans and set NL as your main objective for a 90 day Schengen area visit.

aha mgb and where do you eventually get the visa from, the German embassy, if you go there pushing them with rules and whatever then you risk them saying no, there are many posts on here about the lack of understanding of the rules for EU citizens by this and some other Embassies.

As an extra bit of info, there used to be a link to apply for an Aufenthaltstitel on the German Embassy website for those who wanted to move there permanently with their Thai wives, strangely enough I do not see it on the main page now.

Did you ever had a printout of part III of the visa handbook with you and pointed at it at a european embassy?
Aufenthaltstitel is a term from national german law. It is not valid for non german eu citizens and their family members.