New SUV Choices

Manassas

Just moving back to Thailand. My wife loves her Honda CRV. In the US, a new 2015 CRV lists at about $24,000 USD. But in Thailand, they are listing at B1.2 - 1.5 million. That's about double the price.

I was quite surprised by this. Anybody know why Hondas are so expensive in Thailand? I believe they are assembled in Thailand, right? What gives?

If not the Honda CRV, any recommendations on a nice 4-door SUV?

Your CRV here, while more expensive to buy, is much cheaper to maintain (about 10 dollars an hour service fee) and resale is very good. I guess it's a tax difference, making there more expensive here. You can also consider the nissan x-trail if you are thinking about the cr-v. Then there is the honda hr-v with 1.8 engine which is a bit cheaper than the cr-v. What is your budget?

You are spoiled by the lack of taxes and by the sheer volume and competition in the US. You'll find that a lot of, if not most consumer items and good food costs more in Thailand than in the US.

Our friends from Europe, Australia and Canada can't relate because they are charged high taxes too. They can't relate to buying that CRV for 800,000 baht out the door. They can't relate to buying a good new laptop with genuine Windows for 14,000 baht either.

Unless you live in a big city area of the US where housing is expensive, I'd debate you as to whether it's actually cheaper to live in Thailand at all unless you go native. Apples for apples in housing and all else I don't think it's cheaper. What you might gain in housing in Thailand you lose in consumer items including good food. If you have a home paid for in the US it might be cheaper to stay there.

If you're going to buy such things in Thailand you just have to buck up. That will include your next TV, computer, and refrigerator too. That will include your clothes and most else. I sincerely think that's one of the reasons you don't see more Americans in Thailand even though the US has the world's 3rd largest population and you'd think it might be the opposite. There just isn't that much of an economic incentive to move.

Cheers.

You are spoiled by the lack of taxes and by the sheer volume and competition in the US. You'll find that a lot of, if not most consumer items and good food costs more in Thailand than in the US.

Our friends from Europe, Australia and Canada can't relate because they are charged high taxes too. They can't relate to buying that CRV for 800,000 baht out the door. They can't relate to buying a good new laptop with genuine Windows for 14,000 baht either.

Unless you live in a big city area of the US where housing is expensive, I'd debate you as to whether it's actually cheaper to live in Thailand at all unless you go native. Apples for apples in housing and all else I don't think it's cheaper. What you might gain in housing in Thailand you lose in consumer items including good food. If you have a home paid for in the US it might be cheaper to stay there.

If you're going to buy such things in Thailand you just have to buck up. That will include your next TV, computer, and refrigerator too. That will include your clothes and most else. I sincerely think that's one of the reasons you don't see more Americans in Thailand even though the US has the world's 3rd largest population and you'd think it might be the opposite. There just isn't that much of an economic incentive to move.

Cheers.

Even Electricity is more expensive here in Thailand than in Australia.....not as much to "Smile About" in the "Land of Smiles" as there used to be.

Effectively there is no competition in Thailand. Most distributors agree on keeping the prices high and make nice profits.

The same goes for supermarkets, clothes, food products, etc.

Most Thai speak and read only Thai, even with internet they are not able to check prices in other countries, so they never even find out that they are being skimmed.

Unfortunately you're stuck with high car prices here, the dealers don't 'deal' the way they do in the States. I've recently been looking for a new vehicle and all the dealers I've been to won't drop the price at all and they all quote exactly the same price as each other.

The one thing they will do is offer some extras, such as chrome door handles or bigger wheels but even that is limited - if you are paying cash then they are less interested in offering you upgrades.

I currently have a CRV and looked at getting a new one but when I went to the showroom I found that I liked the HRV a lot more and the top model, the EL, is about 600,000 cheaper. Only problem is, no dealer in our area has an EL and Honda in Bangkok say they currently have no schedule to produce more.

The top Toyota Fortuner will cost around the same as the CRV but you don't get a choice on the interior colour, which is weird because the next model down has three interiors to choose from.

The Isuzu MU-X looks nice from the outside but the interior is all plastic, cheaper than the CRV though.

The Mazda CX-5 or the Nissan X-Trial are also alternatives to the CRV but price-wise there isn't much difference and neither of them really made me want to buy one there and then if you know what I mean.

I'm off to look at the new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport at the weekend, that's about 200,000 cheaper than the top CRV.

US is the cheapest place to buy a car I guess

Next.

Not only the cheapest, but hands-down the widest variety. In Thailand all I see is about three kinds of full-size SUVs: Fortuner, Isuzu MU7 and Pajero. You have about 40 to choose from in the U.S. Also, look at the range of sedans you'll never find in Southeast Asia. A few months ago I bought a 2003 Infiniti Q45 with 65,000 miles on it for $12,000. The Q45 is Nissan's answer to the big Lexus sedan, but way nicer. What a fine luxury sedan for $12K. It looks and drives like a three-year-old car, not a 12-year-old one. Even has navigation, back-up cam and adaptive cruise control. Let's see you equal that anywhere in Asia outside Japan. There were actually a couple of others available around the U.S. with the same mileage and about the same year for $9000, but what they had in common was an all-black interior. The two-tone beige interior is much nicer and more luxurious.

Another thing that's cheaper in the U.S. than Thailand, at least where I live: the electricity bill. I run the a/c 12 hours a day in Boise, ID, have a 60" TV on most of the time, dishwasher, etc. and my electricity bill is about $46/month.

Edited by Dustdevil

In Thailand all I see is about three kinds of full-size SUVs: Fortuner, Isuzu MU7 and Pajero.

You need to look harder tongue.png

Add to that list:

Audi Q5

Audi Q7

BMW X1

BMW X3

BMW X5

BMW X6

Chevy Trailblazer

Chevy Captiva

Ford Ecosport

Ford Everest

Honda CR-V

Honda HR-V

Hyundai Tuscon

Kia Sorento

Mazda CX-3 (November)

Mazda CX-5

Mazda CX-9

Mercedes Benz GLA

Mercedes Benz ML

Mercedes Benz GL

Mercedes Benz G

Nissan Juke

Nissan X-Trail

Porsche Macan

Porsche Cayenne

Subaru Forester

Subaru XV

That's 30 including the 3 you already mentioned - and there's probably some I'm forgetting tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

One word: tax

Yes, though the tax rates have on down from the previous levels of around 300%

For an example on a motorcycle 25 years ago I bought a 12 year old 110cc bike for 20,000 and sold it about 6 months later to shop for 16,000 when I was leaving Thailand.

Excise tax has never been that high.. the highest bracket is 50%, which adds 111% to the manufacturers price, pre-VAT. Taxes have never gone down either (yet).

In Thailand all I see is about three kinds of full-size SUVs: Fortuner, Isuzu MU7 and Pajero.

You need to look harder :P

Add to that list:

Audi Q5

Audi Q7

BMW X1

BMW X3

BMW X5

BMW X6

Chevy Trailblazer

Chevy Captiva

Ford Ecosport

Ford Everest

Honda CR-V

Honda HR-V

Hyundai Tuscon

Kia Sorento

Mazda CX-3 (November)

Mazda CX-5

Mazda CX-9

Mercedes Benz GLA

Mercedes Benz ML

Mercedes Benz GL

Mercedes Benz G

Nissan Juke

Nissan X-Trail

Porsche Macan

Porsche Cayenne

Subaru Forester

Subaru XV

phew, and probably some I'm forgetting :P

You need to read more closely! I said FULL-SIZE SUVS. That means the likes of Range Rovers, MU7s, etc . Not the compact ones you have listed. Full-size means big ones, at least in American nomenclature. Edited by Dustdevil

You need to look harder tongue.png

Add to that list:

Audi Q5

Audi Q7

BMW X1

BMW X3

BMW X5

BMW X6

Chevy Trailblazer

Chevy Captiva

Ford Ecosport

Ford Everest

Honda CR-V

Honda HR-V

Hyundai Tuscon

Kia Sorento

Mazda CX-3 (November)

Mazda CX-5

Mazda CX-9

Mercedes Benz GLA

Mercedes Benz ML

Mercedes Benz GL

Mercedes Benz G

Nissan Juke

Nissan X-Trail

Porsche Macan

Porsche Cayenne

Subaru Forester

Subaru XV

phew, and probably some I'm forgetting tongue.png

You need to read more closely! I said FULL-SIZE SUVS. That means the likes of Range Rivers, MU7s, etc . Not the compact ones you have listed. Full-size means big ones, at least in American nomenclature.

Fortuner, MU-X and Pajero Sport are mid-size SUV's, not full size. Well, not what any American would call full-size anyway :P

Edited by IMHO

Another aspect of the high prices is what you get for your money - all the SUV models made in Thailand I have come across do NOT include rear air bags, for example. These lower specifications make them even more expensive on a " like - for -like basis". I presently have a Mitsubishi Pajero ( 3 years old) but when I trade it in I am going to seriously look at imported models , despite the higher prices. Maybe run that car for 10 years or so.

Another aspect of the high prices is what you get for your money - all the SUV models made in Thailand I have come across do NOT include rear air bags, for example. These lower specifications make them even more expensive on a " like - for -like basis". I presently have a Mitsubishi Pajero ( 3 years old) but when I trade it in I am going to seriously look at imported models , despite the higher prices. Maybe run that car for 10 years or so.

There are now plenty of SUV's with a full set of airbags - that has all changed in recent releases.

The new Pajero Sport not only has side + curtain airbags now, it also has a suite of active safety gizmos - and the same goes for any similar SUV released in the past year or so (Fortuner, Everest, X-Trail, CX-5 etc).

The CRV would be a nicer place to be with proper independent rear suspension rather than the pickup adapted Fortuner/MUX solid rear axle arrangement,albeit with coil springs,and much less cumbersome. Honda make a good Diesel engine ideally suited to the CRV ......but not in thailand irritatingly,where you will have to put up with rather old design 2.0 or 2.4 petrol engines which will make it quite juicy. I liked the more modern if smaller HRV but again with older design 1.8 petrol,but less juicy. Unlike CRV no proper sat nav,only a screen which the dealer said(rightly or wrongly) only works with iPhone sat nav app. I understand that these don't work as well as pukka integrated sat navs but I'm willing to be corrected on this .

In the end I couldn't live with the compromises of any these options at that sort of price and ended up buying a top of the range 3 litre diesel Isuzu pickup at 900k with full sat nav and the manual gearbox I preferred,and live with the ride. The sat nav is really good and perhaps if the HRV had that option (I don't have an iPhone) that may have been a contender. I do like my big Diesel engine though.

you can get the 2014 pajero for 200k~ cheaper right now as the new one comes in. You'll lose a bit on resale with the new model comin in but surely not that much as thais only want status, not airbags.

The new model is much more than just a styling update and some extra airbags though. The new 2.4L engine is significantly quieter, smoother and more responsive than the outgoing 2.5L. The ride quality has also been improved, and there's active safety aids like traction control, stability control and blind sport monitoring the old model didn't have. The 4WD versions now also get electronic controls - so no more numb left leg from that awful selector lever, and the 5AT of older models has been replaced with a smoother and more fuel efficient 8AT.

I'd probably pay 200K extra for the new model in this case.

The CRV would be a nicer place to be with proper independent rear suspension rather than the pickup adapted Fortuner/MUX solid rear axle arrangement,albeit with coil springs,and much less cumbersome.

In theory, yes, IRS is a better place to start than a live rear axle, for a chassis engineer. In reality though, there are many more factors than just the rear axle type when it comes to overall comfort. The CR-V is at best, average, when compared to newer 'price rivals' - even those with live rear axles.

The CRV would be a nicer place to be with proper independent rear suspension rather than the pickup adapted Fortuner/MUX solid rear axle arrangement,albeit with coil springs,and much less cumbersome.

In theory, yes, IRS is a better place to start than a live rear axle, for a chassis engineer. In reality though, there are many more factors than just the rear axle type when it comes to overall comfort. The CR-V is at best, average, when compared to newer 'price rivals' - even those with live rear axles.

Interesting observation,I never drove Fortuner type as I'd dismissed it already based on being too big,not worth the price ,automatic and couple other reasons. I've been reasonably satisfied with the pickups ride on smooth surfaces and even the handling on twisty mountain roads but on more bumpy surfaces and especially concrete roads I would like something more comfortable ride. Not sure how live axle on suv would give that? Not after magic carpet as my UK car,sorely missed, was E46 M3. Miss my track days too!

Interesting observation,I never drove Fortuner type as I'd dismissed it already based on being too big,not worth the price ,automatic and couple other reasons. I've been reasonably satisfied with the pickups ride on smooth surfaces and even the handling on twisty mountain roads but on more bumpy surfaces and especially concrete roads I would like something more comfortable ride. Not sure how live axle on suv would give that? Not after magic carpet as my UK car,sorely missed, was E46 M3. Miss my track days too!

The previous generation (and current-gen MU-X/Trailblazer) are pretty average when compared to a crossover, for sure.The new-gen body-on-frame SUV's have changed the game a bit though - the new Fortuner and Pajero Sport are much more comfortable and quieter than their outgoing versions, and the new Everest is so good it beats most mainstream crossovers on ride comfort and noise.

The next gen BMW X1 will be the hot ticket when its released here in a few months. I'm guessing it will start at around 2.1-2.2M for the most basic version. But you do get a great service pack and warranty with that. http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/general/services/bmw_serviceinclusive.html

The Benz GLA moves from being an import to domestically assembled later this month - so should be a more competitive package too.

Edited by IMHO

Cheers.

Even Electricity is more expensive here in Thailand than in Australia.....not as much to "Smile About" in the "Land of Smiles" as there used to be.

You have been away too long, electricity costs have tripled over the past 5 year s, in fact rises are rampant across the board with no end in site, the squeeze On wages that's been going on last 30 years and rising costs are finally choking the economy.

Cheers.

You have been away too long, electricity costs have tripled over the past 5 year s, in fact rises are rampant across the board with no end in site, the squeeze On wages that's been going on last 30 years and rising costs are finally choking the economy.

Well, there is one car that's cheaper in Thailand than Australia:

http://www.carsales.com.au/bnc/details/Ford-Everest-2015/SHRM-AD-422165/?Cr=5

AUD $89,678 drive away is 2,260,000 Baht at today's mid-market rates - you can buy essentially the same thing for 1,599,000 Baht drive away here in TH (a little less if you negotiate).

41% more expensive in AU.

Admittedly, the Thai version misses out on lane keeping assist (you need proper roadmarkings for that), Adaptive cruise control (look for it in the next minor change), heated front seats (needless), and tire pressure monitoring (given Thai's propensity for over inflation, a sensible delete).

Edited by IMHO

Cheers.

Well, there is one car that's cheaper in Thailand than Australia:

http://www.carsales.com.au/bnc/details/Ford-Everest-2015/SHRM-AD-422165/?Cr=5

AUD $89,678 drive away is 2,260,000 Baht at today's mid-market rates - you can buy essentially the same thing for 1,599,000 Baht drive away here in TH (a little less if you negotiate).

41% more expensive in AU.

Admittedly, the Thai version misses out on lane keeping assist (you need proper roadmarkings for that), Adaptive cruise control (look for it in the next minor change), heated front seats (needless), and tire pressure monitoring (given Thai's propensity for over inflation, a sensible delete).

Pickups are cheaper here too, top ranger is close to 60K AU there. So for those still wanting to compare overseas prices to local prices and wanting 'value for money', better get a ppv or a pickup.