I/O Promenada - did you or did you not use a visa agent - an evaluation

fang37

I have been told the imm office favors agents as it streamlines their procedures and lets them process more than they can with the uncertainty of walkins.....

They know the paperwork/people have been "vetted" and correctly filed with any needed documentation/attachments - copies.....

In other words it confirms what we already know......that many Thai's are lazy gits and happy to let others do their work for them !

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told the imm office favors agents as it streamlines their procedures and lets them process more than they can with the uncertainty of walkins.....

They know the paperwork/people have been "vetted" and correctly filed with any needed documentation/attachments - copies.....

A couple of interns on the front desk could do the same,

I like rose-coloured glasses too.

A couple of interns on the front desk could do the same,

Actually, they had exactly that (interns) in the old office at the information counter. They vetted my paperwork and were very nice about it.

In other words it confirms what we already know......that many Thai's are lazy gits and happy to let others do their work for them !

It streamlines their procedure because they don't have to explain to people what they are supposed to fill in and what to copy. I have no idea where any one got the idea it is the agents job to hold their hand.

As for the OP I have been extremely lucky the last two years. One I went in at 9:00 and was told to come back at 3:00 the other I had an appointment. I had made it 87 days prior to the due date. this year I will pay to have it done. Not sure who I will use but I as another poster mentioned am getting on in life. The agent at the Promenade looks good to me as I will have to go twice and I can see a show while I am there. I will be able to use the free shuttle to get there so no big loss there.

Don't ever recall seeing any "lazy gits" at the old office....Mostly under staffed for the daily press they had to face & tired, hot, and still composed and working as the afternoons grew long.....

And they always send me an email reminder when my 90 day or annual is due.

Doesn't everyone keep a calendar on their desk? I've had one on my desk for the last 40 years. Don't see how anyone could live without one.

Glad you are happy with your 40 year old calendar. You ask How do people live without it? They use the calendar in their mobile phone maybe. C'mon you gotta keep up, not stay with these 40 y o solutions.

But an email reminder of an upcoming Imm date is still useful to me, and others it seems

As I said each before, each to their own.

What the hell is a Mobile Phone?

More seriously the system is clearly pushing all expats into using a visa service as the service does all the checking and explaining to new retirees the system. Takes away a lot of the work from the department. Pretty smart from their point of view. But, as I understand it, at 14k Bht a year per retired couple not that cheap either.

Edited by Mousehound

Wondering if immigration is getting a cut from these visa services and if immigration is purposely making things harder so that everyone uses these services.

If so it would mean that users of the service are unknowingly contributing to making the system corrupt.

What are your thoughts?

Not sure who I will use but I as another poster mentioned am getting on in life. The agent at the Promenade looks good to me as I will have to go twice and I can see a show while I am there. I will be able to use the free shuttle to get there so no big loss there.

now being a beloved member of C.E.C.

do the right thing

and support your sponsors

O/S THAI VISA are doing the right thing, and supporting your club

besides O/S are strongly recommended on this board

pom and her crew , offer impeccable service, on all visa related matters

a top of the morning to all

As an aside, if IO was interested in providing a professional service, attending the IO for visa, re-entry and 90 day reporting would be a breeze

One officer should complete 30 retirement visa a day, process only takes 15 min max

In general re-entry is not too many and pretty quick

90 day reporting, more volume, however a quicker processing time

If the system was working, you should be able to drop in any time and obtain the service, be in and out with an hour or so

If IM was really professional, they would set KPI's, with regards to numbered processed and times

The issue today is waiting time, either before processing or after processing

Using Agent, as mentioned in this thread, is about not waiting at IM

I used an agent for my retirement extension in CM and will do it again next year... For me, it's a small price to pay to not stand in line and wait my turn with an IO... Plus it also insures that all docs are in order and checked prior to applying for the extension... More so now that process has taken about 10 giant steps backward after immigration moved to Promenada...

I renew my visa, re-entry permit and 90 day reporting myself

As I did for many years. BUT, 2015 has revealed many changes - location, queue-online terminated & visa agents clogging up the queue.

Thus, for 2015, I will hire an agent. My only problem - as I live 150km from CNX, it is difficult to provide documentation the day before. Also, I wish to return home on the day of the appointment.

Without my passport, "yabba" police will surely ask for my passport - it would be the first time but one time too many.

I renew my visa, re-entry permit and 90 day reporting myself

As I did for many years. BUT, 2015 has revealed many changes - location, queue-online terminated & visa agents clogging up the queue.

Thus, for 2015, I will hire an agent. My only problem - as I live 150km from CNX, it is difficult to provide documentation the day before. Also, I wish to return home on the day of the appointment.

Without my passport, "yabba" police will surely ask for my passport - it would be the first time but one time too many.

The only documentation need to prove 'day before' status is your bank statement paper. 'Assist Thai Visa' can deal with this for you. You fill out a 'Power of Attorney' form that specifies that its ONLY use is for obtaining this bank statement. No worries.

In all my years here, I've never shown my actual passport when asked (outside of Immigration or the Bank.) I've only shown copies to police at checkpoints. I've never known any Farang to be required to show more. Actually, for the past three years I don't remember showing anything other than my Thai driver's license.

Have used an agent the last 3 years and wouldn't do it any other way....During that time had to make 1 trip to the imm office.....The agent had made my appt and I was in and out within an hour.....

Hated those 4:30 check in's and the crowd got more unruly/surly over the years.....was not a pleasant experience any longer......

Yes, to use an agent for those annual visa application matter is a very good procedure.

Please line out the name and address of the agent that acts for you in the annual visa application matter so that I can use them as well for the the same visa application procedure.

Thanks ...

I am reading people are paying agencies for doing a 90 day report? I can understand using an agent for an extension..but this 90 day report is a 5 minute online process...and totally free. Need only log on and have your passport to fill in a few dates. Done it twice.

why pay 1000 to have an agent make an appointment???

oh well... up 2 u

I am reading people are paying agencies for doing a 90 day report? I can understand using an agent for an extension..but this 90 day report is a 5 minute online process...and totally free. Need only log on and have your passport to fill in a few dates. Done it twice.

A couple of reasons regarding online reporting. 1st, not everyone is aware of it and suspect it is actually a small percentage unless they are members of TV. 2nd, odds have been against members being able to successfully complete the online reporting. That is, the percentage is pretty low of being able to do it. I have not been able to do it and probably never will until I leave the country and come back in. Many others in the same situation.

A couple of reasons regarding online reporting. 1st, not everyone is aware of it and suspect it is actually a small percentage unless they are members of TV. 2nd, odds have been against members being able to successfully complete the online reporting. That is, the percentage is pretty low of being able to do it. I have not been able to do it and probably never will until I leave the country and come back in. Many others in the same situation.

I left the country and came back in with my new passport and still could not do the 90 day online.

Registered mail works great for me.

I left the country and came back in with my new passport and still could not do the 90 day online.

My understanding is the first 90 day after entering the country must be done the normal way to update the database. At least that is a report in the main Visa topic.

there are some that do not understand the system...

however, to hire agencies for 90 day reporting is pushing this to the crazy level. Perhaps it is only a problem in chiang mai? From what I read...nobody else in Thailand needs to pay agencies for 90 day reporting..only those in chiang mai? You guys need to get together and come up with a better way.

of course it does.....

and I consider you much wiser than folks who need to hire agencies to do a 90 day report...and claim that nobody else is successful in doing it by mail or online. I don't buy it.

From the reports I read..the people in chiang mai are the only people having problems...the rest of Thailand is enjoying 90 day reports online, mailing, and tolerable trips to immigration.

of course it does.....

and I consider you much wiser than folks who need to hire agencies to do a 90 day report...and claim that nobody else is successful in doing it by mail or online. I don't buy it.

From the reports I read..the people in chiang mai are the only people having problems...the rest of Thailand is enjoying 90 day reports online, mailing, and tolerable trips to immigration.

Don't worry about it as long as you stay out of Chiang Mai you will be fine. Not sure where you are getting your information but to the best of my ability no one has to pay to get there 90 day done in Chiang Mai. Some CHOOSE to do it. I am sure there are people all over Thailand having some one else do it for them. I personally know people who always had some one else do it for them before the agents. Just some people got smart here in Chiang Mai and organized it. There are a lot of older and younger people who would just as soon not do it so they use them.

of course it does.....

Don't worry about it as long as you stay out of Chiang Mai you will be fine. Not sure where you are getting your information but to the best of my ability no one has to pay to get there 90 day done in Chiang Mai. Some CHOOSE to do it. I am sure there are people all over Thailand having some one else do it for them. I personally know people who always had some one else do it for them before the agents. Just some people got smart here in Chiang Mai and organized it. There are a lot of older and younger people who would just as soon not do it so they use them.

You are misreading my post. I never wrote that people "had or must" pay an agency to do a 90 day report. What I said is that it is incredible that so many choose to pay an agency to do a 90 day report. That indicates a major problem in Chiang Mai, that does not exist elsewhere. Something easily done everywhere else in Thailand...except in Chiang Mai. I could walk in and walk out of Udon Immigration and have it done...with just a passport and no waiting...in just five minutes. Or I could mail it in...or just do it at home online. The OP is asking about this...and I am simply answering...

sorry you had such a problem understanding this.

Finally.... I doubt that anyone else in Thailand (other than in the Chiang Mai Area) feels compelled to pay an agency 1000 baht for something so simple.

Edited by slipperylobster

Have used an agent the last 3 years and wouldn't do it any other way....During that time had to make 1 trip to the imm office.....The agent had made my appt and I was in and out within an hour.....

Hated those 4:30 check in's and the crowd got more unruly/surly over the years.....was not a pleasant experience any longer......

Yes, to use an agent for those annual visa application matter is a very good procedure.

Please line out the name and address of the agent that acts for you in the annual visa application matter so that I can use them as well for the the same visa application procedure.

Thanks ...

It's in another post but TVA....I don't think we can give the full name and details....

Thanks ...

It's in another post but TVA....I don't think we can give the full name and details....

Why not? Other people post the name of their visa agency, including links to their websites. One thing that's rather curious is you mention that you've made just one trip to the Immigration office in three years. In the couple years, you've had to go in person for your annual extension and to get a re-entry permit because the Imm. officer takes your photo. I'd be very suspicious of any visa agent who claims he can take care of these items without your at least popping into the Imm. office.

Thanks ...

Why not? Other people post the name of their visa agency, including links to their websites. One thing that's rather curious is you mention that you've made just one trip to the Immigration office in three years. In the couple years, you've had to go in person for your annual extension and to get a re-entry permit because the Imm. officer takes your photo. I'd be very suspicious of any visa agent who claims he can take care of these items without your at least popping into the Imm. office.

One time 3 years and it was this year so all must be on the up and up - no snags.....

Thai Visa Assist on Chiang Mai Land Rd....

of course it does.....

You are misreading my post. I never wrote that people "had or must" pay an agency to do a 90 day report. What I said is that it is incredible that so many choose to pay an agency to do a 90 day report. That indicates a major problem in Chiang Mai, that does not exist elsewhere. Something easily done everywhere else in Thailand...except in Chiang Mai. I could walk in and walk out of Udon Immigration and have it done...with just a passport and no waiting...in just five minutes. Or I could mail it in...or just do it at home online. The OP is asking about this...and I am simply answering...

sorry you had such a problem understanding this.

Finally.... I doubt that anyone else in Thailand (other than in the Chiang Mai Area) feels compelled to pay an agency 1000 baht for something so simple.

"and I consider you much wiser than folks who need to hire agencies to do a 90 day report..."

Your words not mine.

This is not against you personally but does all these people mailing in their reports or if they are lucky enough to be able to post it on line feel superior to those who don't. It is brought up often enough that every one on Thai Visa knows there is the mail in option. Yet on and on they go about how they do it and people who don't ......................also many of them over and over again and again.

why pay 1000 to have an agent make an appointment???

oh well... up 2 u

Happy online reporting worked for you as many are not so lucky, including myself...

And they always send me an email reminder when my 90 day or annual is due.

Doesn't everyone keep a calendar on their desk? I've had one on my desk for the last 40 years. Don't see how anyone could live without one.

Glad you are happy with your 40 year old calendar. You ask How do people live without it? They use the calendar in their mobile phone maybe. C'mon you gotta keep up, not stay with these 40 y o solutions.

But an email reminder of an upcoming Imm date is still useful to me, and others it seems

As I said each before, each to their own.

What the hell is a Mobile Phone?

More seriously the system is clearly pushing all expats into using a visa service as the service does all the checking and explaining to new retirees the system. Takes away a lot of the work from the department. Pretty smart from their point of view. But, as I understand it, at 14k Bht a year per retired couple not that cheap either.

You don't know what a mobile phone is? Not too many countries left in the world who don't have mobiles.