I/O Promenada - did you or did you not use a visa agent - an evaluation

fang37

I have an O-A retirement visa & have successfully applied for an extension thereof for 13 years.

This year is different.

Did you utilize the service of a visa agent? A good investment? Will you do the same next year?

Now that queue-online is in unknown territory, I am of two minds.

This thread is focused at retirees who have applied independently & those who have hired a visa agent.

Share your experience this year. Don't be shy!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an appointment for extension next week, I've been using the queue online system since it began. If the queue system is disposed of, I will hire an agent to do it for me. I already use one to do my 90 day reports so it isn't a matter of principle for me, just am not willing to sit outside at 04:30 in hopes of being able to do what is required. It isn't optional, it has to be done, immigration should have a system for meeting their obligation, and it shouldn't involve setting up an outside agency to make money.

Have used an agent the last 3 years and wouldn't do it any other way....During that time had to make 1 trip to the imm office.....The agent had made my appt and I was in and out within an hour.....

Hated those 4:30 check in's and the crowd got more unruly/surly over the years.....was not a pleasant experience any longer......

My last extension to the airport was long to get. Arrival 10h, passport returned to 17h. As I was warned by the friendly receptionist I spent much of that time in nearby Central Plaza. In fact I really have waited for two hours in the room.

My last check 90 days to Promenada was a little longer than before. 11h arrival for departure to 14:30 h. As I was warned by the kind receptionist I could quietly lunch and came back at 14:10. The actual waiting time will therefore 10 minutes, barely time to drink coffee.

I know perfectly that on arriving in the late morning I take the risk of being postponed to the next day but in 6 years It never happened and I always take the precaution to make the process a few days before the deadline.

I used a visa agent twice to do my annual renewal. Then I tried using the on-line appointments for one year, and that worked very well. If that program remained in effect I would use it again. But as it's been cancelled, I'll go back to using the same visa agent. I have far better ways to spend my time than sitting outside some public office, starting at 5am, knowing that I'm going to have to waste hours on a process that should only take minutes. When I had my business here, my lawyer handled my visa papers and work permit renewals for more than ten years, but in those days it wasn't necessary to appear personally.

Having lived in other foreign countries, I know that there are far more efficient ways of achieving the same ends, efficient for both the government workers and for the applicants.

Edited by FolkGuitar

It is understandable that some members do not wish to reveal the identity of their visa agent. Quality & extent of service is not the same. Further, fees seem to differ.

It is apparent that the service required in most cases is mere "hand-holding" in order to expedite the process.

That being the case, the cheapest is the best? No?

By far the cheapest is the G4T place next to the Imm. office at Prom. No email, No website, so you can't really contact them in advance. Instead, I'd recommend going with one of the "main line" visa agents like O.S. Thai Visa or Assist Thai Visa where you do get some hand-holding, ability to talk with someone who speaks near-perfect English and can park your car at their office and have them take you to Prom. if you're not familiar with the exact location of the Imm. office at the mall. It can be tricky to locate if you've never been there before.

I've extended my visa myself for the last 8 years. Never arrived before 08:30-9:00, and never taken me more than 2 1/2-3 hours; start to finish. I had an appointment once - maybe twice. One time I did have to go back just before closing time to retrieve my passport. We'll see how it goes next July.wink.png

Only been twice for 90-day reporting in all the years. I use the post.

I've extended my visa myself for the last 8 years. Never arrived before 08:30-9:00, and never taken me more than 2 1/2-3 hours; start to finish. I had an appointment once - maybe twice. One time I did have to go back just before closing time to retrieve my passport. We'll see how it goes next July.wink.png

Is your visa an O-A ? I think the op is asking specifically about O-A for retirement.

Is your visa an O-A ? I think the op is asking specifically about O-A for retirement.

OP may have arrived on an O-A visa.....he's now on a permission to stay for purpose of retirement that he has extended for over 10 years. His O-A visa expired a long time ago so, no, he's not specifically asking about an O-A visa.

Getting pedantic now?

Extended O-A visa for past 13 years - this is by way of introduction only.

I am seeking YOUR experience either independently or via a visa agent.

If you applied independently in 2015, what was the experience cf 2014?

If you used a visa agent, experience? Was it a good investment? Do you intend to follow a similar route next year?

TIME IS THE FACTOR when all one is doing is an update of the previous year.

Getting pedantic now?

Extended O-A visa for past 13 years - this is by way of introduction only.

I am seeking YOUR experience either independently or via a visa agent.

If you applied independently in 2015, what was the experience cf 2014?

If you used a visa agent, experience? Was it a good investment? Do you intend to follow a similar route next year?

TIME IS THE FACTOR when all one is doing is an update of the previous year.

No, you haven't extended your original O-A visa for the past 13 years. If you don't understand that then you should head over to the visa sub-forum to get a better understanding of that fact. Once your visa expires you are extending your permission to stay, not your visa.

(Sorry to derail your OP.)

It appears that use of simple, commonly used terms is inappropriate on this thread. Many, many humble apologies.

The thrust of THIS thread is not an evaluation of terms but -

satisfaction with an independent route v employment of a visa agency.

Why are some folks on here so pedantic?

I am sure we all knew what the OP was asking, and it wasnt what the correct terms are for his annual renewal/extension.

So back to Visa agents. I always use AsistThaiVisa and find them efficient, friendly and courteous. And they always send me an email reminder when my 90 day or annual is due.

What they charge is relatively small for removing a little unnecessary hassle, and for free advice on other visa related matters.

Each to their own but it works well for me.,

/

Why are some folks on here so pedantic?

I am sure we all knew what the OP was asking, and it wasnt what the correct terms are for his annual renewal/extension.

So back to Visa agents. I always use AsistThaiVisa and find them efficient, friendly and courteous. And they always send me an email reminder when my 90 day or annual is due.

What they charge is relatively small for removing a little unnecessary hassle, and for free advice on other visa related matters.

Each to their own but it works well for me.,

/

My last extension to the airport was long to get. Arrival 10h, passport returned to 17h. As I was warned by the friendly receptionist I spent much of that time in nearby Central Plaza. In fact I really have waited for two hours in the room.
My last check 90 days to Promenada was a little longer than before. 11h arrival for departure to 14:30 h. As I was warned by the kind receptionist I could quietly lunch and came back at 14:10. The actual waiting time will therefore 10 minutes, barely time to drink coffee.
I know perfectly that on arriving in the late morning I take the risk of being postponed to the next day but in 6 years It never happened and I always take the precaution to make the process a few days before the deadline.

And why not the mail for 90 day reporting ?

I have TVA do my annual retirement extension + 90 days = easy with no hassle.....Cost 5k for the annual and 1k for the 90 day reports.....They handle the paperwork - running - waiting and appointment management if/as needed and 90 ticker reminding....Have referred many there and everyone has been pleased....Along the way they've done a few other small services @ N/C...

This year I used an agent, the OS company in the Nimman area. I brought them all of the necessary documents, which they double checked for completeness. They called me on the appointed day and drove me to Prom Imm. for the mandatory show-up and photo. As soon as I saw the large crowd there I was glad I chose an agent. I was in and out in 15 minutes.

For only 7000 baht (includes the 1900 for the one year stamp) they get the visa, and cover all 3 or 4 90 day showups. All I have to do is bring them my passport, and pick it up at their office a day or so later. I did it all on my own for five years, but the aging process has taken its toll, so I've turned it over.

I recommend their service wholeheartedly. Good people!

Interested to know why you want it and what are you going to do with this information...

Although I have been meeting my visa requirements independently to date, it is time to review.

Getting details of other people's experiences is a way to fine tune.

I renewed my retirement extension today, using OS Visa. We had an appointment for 1pm, and I was sitting at the Immigration Officer's desk at 1:05. I was only seated outside in the warmth for 5 minutes,and imagined that it would have been quite warm earlier with the sun on all the customers.

Quite amazing that a large Government organisation such as this, requires 40 or 50 of the waiting customers to sit outside, rain, hail or sun.

The whole operation took around 15 minutes, the only surprise was being told that my passport would be ready 'later today'. That might have meant another trip across the city, but the ever-helpful agents said they'd collect it and it would be at the office tomorrow.

An added bonus with using an agent (certainly with OS Visa) is that they also do my 90 day reports at no extra charge.

And they always send me an email reminder when my 90 day or annual is due.

Doesn't everyone keep a calendar on their desk? I've had one on my desk for the last 40 years. Don't see how anyone could live without one.

Glad you are happy with your 40 year old calendar. You ask How do people live without it? They use the calendar in their mobile phone maybe. C'mon you gotta keep up, not stay with these 40 y o solutions.

But an email reminder of an upcoming Imm date is still useful to me, and others it seems

As I said each before, each to their own.

Glad you are happy with your 40 year old calendar. clap2.gifclap2.gif You ask How do people live without it? They use the calendar in their mobile phone maybe. C'mon you gotta keep up, not stay with these 40 y o solutions.

But an email reminder of an upcoming Imm date is still useful to me, and others it seems

As I said each before, each to their own.

Just out of curiosity I wonder if anyone could persuade their favorite agent to say how much of their fee goes to an imm official.

Pretty easy to calculate.....G4T at Promenada (whose ownership we are prohibited from discussing) charges 3000 thb for a retirement extension. Everyone else charges approx 5500 thb for a retirement extension. Simple math.

I have been told the imm office favors agents as it streamlines their procedures and lets them process more than they can with the uncertainty of walkins.....

They know the paperwork/people have been "vetted" and correctly filed with any needed documentation/attachments - copies.....