Long-term illness suspected in death of British expat in Phuket condo

webfact

Long-term illness suspected in death of British expat in Phuket condo

1441773522_1-org.jpg
The body of British expat Stephen Preston was found in his seventh-floor condo in Chalong yesterday (Sept 8).

PHUKET: -- Police believe that a long-term battle against shingles likely claimed the life of British expat Stephen Preston, whose body was found in his seventh-floor condo in Chalong yesterday (Sept 8).

Maj Wuttiwat Leangboonjinda of the Chalong Police and Kusoldharm rescue workers were called to Telburi Condominium in Soi Na Yai at about 5:30pm after a maid entered Mr Preston’s condo and discovered his body on the floor near the sofa.

“We found no signs of foul play, assault or robbery in the room or on the body. We believe the victim died at least five days before his body was found,” Maj Wuttiwat said.

Security staff at the condo complex told police that that Mr Preston, a 53-year-old from Gloucester, was last seen at 7pm on September 3.

“A guard saw him parking his motorbike and walking up to his room alone,” Maj Wuttiwat said.

“One of Mr Preston’s friends said that he came to Thailand two years ago after he retired from his job,” Maj Wuttiwat added.

“Apparently he had suffered a head injury in a motorbike accident that left him with memory issues. He was also apparently fighting off shingles and had been on medication for more than five years.

“We are now waiting for doctors at Vachira hospital to confirm the cause of death, but at this stage we believe that his long-term battle with illnesses played a key role in his death.”

The British authorities and his family have been notified, Maj Wuttiwat added.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/long-term-illness-suspected-in-death-of-british-expat-in-phuket-condo-54023.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-09

Well, I just checked out a dozen websites dealing with shingles, and not a single one of them said they could cause death. So, I think maybe the doctors should look for something else, cause shingles ain't it!

I didn't think that shingles was potentially deadly either.

Maybe a heart-attack is more likely.

RIP

Is it a legal requirement that if a farang dies in Thailand all the TV detectives have to be given a chance to speculate on the cause of death? Why aren't farangs just allowed to die in peace instead of their medical and other history being splashed all over farang forums.

I'd better get out there and add some more adventure and intrigue to my life, so that you guys have enough to speculate on when I'm gone.

Well, I just checked out a dozen websites dealing with shingles, and not a single one of them said they could cause death. So, I think maybe the doctors should look for something else, cause shingles ain't it!

With shingles , you only think you're dying .

sad, far too young....

must be awful not having anyone to talk to or just feeling so down to do this..

Do what?....die? ...we all die mate.

Most of us from natural causes like this bloke did apparently.

Edited by Mudcrab

Complications of shingles

Delaying or not getting medical treatment may increase your risk for complications. Complications of shingles include:

• Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), which is pain that does not go away within 1 month. It may last for months or even years after shingles heals. It is more common in people age 50 and older and in people who have a weakened immune system due to another disease, such as diabetes or HIV infection.

Disseminated zoster, which is a blistery rash that spreads over a large portion of the body and can affect the heart, lungs, liver, pancreas, joints, and intestinal tract. Infection may spread to nerves that control movement, which may cause temporary weakness.

Cranial nerve complications. If shingles affects the nerves originating in the brain (cranial nerves), complications may include:

• Inflammation, pain, and loss of feeling in one or both eyes. The infection may threaten your vision. A rash may appear on the side and tip of the nose (Hutchinson's sign).

Intense ear pain, a rash around the ear, mouth, face, neck, and scalp, and loss of movement in facial nerves (Ramsay Hunt syndrome). Other symptoms may include hearing loss, dizziness, and ringing in the ears. Loss of taste and dry mouth and eyes may also occur.

Inflammation, and possibly blockage, of blood vessels, which may lead to stroke.

Is the shingles vaccine available in Thailand ?

A friend of mine got this at a Bangkok hospital (not sure which one) but had to wait months for it to become available. I got this in USA 2 yr ago for about $220. Recently I received a pneumonia vaccine after being hospitalized for this in April

Is it a legal requirement that if a farang dies in Thailand all the TV detectives have to be given a chance to speculate on the cause of death? Why aren't farangs just allowed to die in peace instead of their medical and other history being splashed all over farang forums.

I'd better get out there and add some more adventure and intrigue to my life, so that you guys have enough to speculate on when I'm gone.

Probably because the deceased was 53, and not 83.

There are so many unhealthy farangs in Thailand that it's a wonder some of them make it to 53. But the same comment above applies to people that are 83. Whatever age, they aren't allowed to die in peace without silly TV speculation. Many on here think farangs become immortal when they arrive in Thailand and that there is no such thing as a natural death for a farang here. They think the only way a farang can die is if he is bumped off.

There are so many unhealthy farangs in Thailand that it's a wonder some of them make it to 53. But the same comment above applies to people that are 83. Whatever age, they aren't allowed to die in peace without silly TV speculation. Many on here think farangs become immortal when they arrive in Thailand and that there is no such thing as a natural death for a farang here. They think the only way a farang can die is if he is bumped off.

"Many on here think farangs become immortal when they arrive in Thailand" - just as many Thai's think farangs become expendable, especially after they have bought a property and / or business in a Thai's name.

Their "used by date" has then been reached, and they are to be dispensed with.

Of course, all suicides, and death by natural causes, have been just that, and nothing else - right????

Edited by NamKangMan

"Many on here think farangs become immortal when they arrive in Thailand" - just as many Thai's think farangs become expendable, especially after they have bought a property and / or business in a Thai's name.

Their "used by date" has then been reached, and they are to be dispensed with.

Of course, all suicides, and death by natural causes, have been just that, and nothing else - right????

You'd better leave before you reach your "use by date".

@ ldnguy

I will NEVER buy property, a business, a farm in Issan, a house for "mama" - a shop, a bar, shares in the SET, deposit a considerable amount of money in a Thai bank etc etc - there will be zero cash investment input from me into Thailand.

Thailand gives me nothing. I give Thailand nothing. It's as simple as that.

Currently, the most expesive asset I own here is a reasonably new motorbike. Maybe one day, I'll but a car, maybe. Nothing I can't walk away from tomorrow, and head straight to the airport, should the need arise. I sleep well knowing this.

On that basis, I doubt I will ever reach my "use by date" for ANYONE, at ANYTIME, here. I am not in the "crosshairs" for "tea money" - "management fees" - "working illegally" etc etc etc etc.

I'm totally free here, and with my simple tourists visa, I have the same rights as any other farang here, including property and business owners. Go figure. smile.png

What about you? smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan