Can't open Bank account. So, how do I apply for retirement visa without a bank account?

You do not have to have a work permit to open a bank account. You just have to try different banks and different branches of the same bank.

Info for Bangkok Bank here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

I had no problem at all opening an account with Bangkok Bank in Phuket - before I had anything but a multiple entry tourist visa.

I had same problem when I first came to Thailand. Jomtien Immigration directed me to Kasikorn on Beach Road who would open the account. Advise you ask ar immigration office.

Edit: I now have accounts with 4 banks. The latest one I added was Bangkok Bank. The lady at reception told me that I could not open an account unless I had a work permit. I politely told her that she was wrong and that I had a long term visa based on retirement. She took my passport to her manager's office and came back a few minutes later and started to process an application to open an account. People behind the desks often do not know the requirements in full.

Edited by hugh2121
  • Like 2

I had no trouble in opening bank accounts in Hua Hin while here on a tourist visa 3 years ago .... Krung Thai Bank and KBank at Hua Hin Market Village.

Went back to Ozland, and transferred the money rquired for the 'retirement' visa into a bank. No problems.

Australian friends came here 2 years ago on 1 month tourist visa, and opened accounts with the KBank in downtown Hua Hin on Petchakasem Road.

One point that may be pertinent if you're from the US. I bank with Krungsri. When I asked Social Security Admin is they would deposit my socials payments into it they replied "No, only Bangkok Bank". I wonder if that's because BB is the only bank with a US branch (in New York)

That is the reason.Bangkok Bangkok bank is the only one you can have your payments direct deposited into your account.

No other bank is setup for ACH transfers in the states.

The requirement I believe is that the financial institution agrees to repay the US Government for any money paid after the death of recipient. And only Bangkok Bank has such an agreement (which they police by only allowing deposit to account requiring personal access).

One point that may be pertinent if you're from the US. I bank with Krungsri. When I asked Social Security Admin is they would deposit my socials payments into it they replied "No, only Bangkok Bank". I wonder if that's because BB is the only bank with a US branch (in New York)

That is the reason.Bangkok Bangkok bank is the only one you can have your payments direct deposited into your account.

OK, I wonder how my friend in England gets his payment deposited?? He says the narration is something about "Citibank Global"

OK, I wonder how my friend in England gets his payment deposited?? He says the narration is something about "Citibank Global"

I cannot see how your friend being able to have his money deposited in England compared to here is relevant..

The SSA has different rules for each country where the funds are deposited. See: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Go to the main office of Bangkok Bank on Silom Road. I am sure you will get an account opened there.

That is what I was told today at the BB branch in Fortune City. I've been to banks all over today, including K-Bank, where I've held an account for about 6 years. The fact they all repeat the same thing, that you need a work permit, would indicate the government has issued a blanket order to the banks, ostensibly to help shut down terrorism. But in doing so, they are going against their visa policy of having money in a Thai account.

I just needed an account so I could keep my retirement money in a term deposit and away from my daily account. But I can still do it. Not sure what new arrivals will do. Hopefully this will blow over.

I'll post more after I visit the main office in Silom on Monday 14. Stay tuned.

It amazes me why the banks would refuse to have 800,000 baht sat in an account for years, if he has enough paperwork and visa to prove who he is? Cannot work Thai logic out!

I think many banks know that often, I don't know how often, but often the foreigners that deposit the money take it out, and only put it back in long enough to meet the refresh requirements (recent 90 days) or something like that. Therefore, that makes it difficult for the bank to count that money as a firm amount of money on hand and on their ledgers as they plan their lending and other banking operations. I have heard that some people have tried to use Timed accounts or CDs and things like that with mixed success. The immigration offices sometimes seem to think that they like or dislike timed deposits. I defer to the in country depositors on their experience.

I cannot see how your friend being able to have his money deposited in England compared to here is relevant..

The SSA has different rules for each country where the funds are deposited. See: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

I'm basing my response on your assertion that the ACH "must" be involved

I'm basing my response on your assertion that the ACH "must" be involved

It is not an assertion it is a fact that the SSA will only do a direct deposit via ACH. They certainly will not do them via SWIFT.

Not sure what arrangement your friend has but I suspect that his funds are transferred to a CITI bank account via ACH.

I am the poster on this forum topic.

People strayed way off my topic, as so often happens here.

CONCLUSION: I took my TOURIST VISA, along with a notarized letter from the USA Embassy saying nothing but "Bank Account" (50 bucks), a Certificate of Residence from the place I rent month to month...to Bangkok Bank.

THEN, they opened an account for me (even though no one there could understand the English written on the USA EMBASSY Letter.

What a country