Navy raids Patong Beach vendors

webfact

Navy raids Patong Beach vendors
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1441792784_1-org.jpg
No more warnings, said Lt Sompop Kamkana of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command. Photo: Royal Thai Navy

PHUKET: -- Royal Thai Navy personnel accompanied by district and provincial officials raided vendors on Patong Beach yesterday (Sept 8) to reinforce the beach management rules laid down earlier this year.

Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong announced the slew of new beach rules at meeting he chaired on January 29.

The beach raid followed many complaints filed about beach vendors breaking the rules, explained Lt Sompop Kamkana of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command.

“Umbrellas, sun loungers and vendors selling alcohol beverages were all along the beach,” he said.

“Maybe they misunderstood the beach management system. We gave them verbal warnings this time.”

Lt Sompop also noted that local officials could not have been doing their job for the situation that he saw yesterday arise.

Some beach operators were using foreigners to try to convince local officials to not enforce the beach rules, he added.

“They ask foreigners to tell us that the beach management rules are not uncomfortable. They ask us to allow the vendors to be free on the beach, which is not possible,” Lt Sompop said.

Navy personnel will now conduct random checks on all beaches in Phuket.

“Next time we will come with more officers and check the entire beach area,” Lt Sompop said.

“And next time will be no more verbal warnings,” he cautioned.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-raids-patong-beach-vendors-54031.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-09

Navy/army/police/local government raids on beaches don't exactly make a good impression on tourists, regardless of the reason for such raids. However in Phuket it is probably the only way to get any sort of compliance with the rules. Let's hope they raid the jet-skis soon.

The Navy is needed to enforce the beach rules. It would quickly become anarchy without someone doing it. The pattern is to encroach a little more every day till you own the beach.

The Thai Navy is interesting. Although a lot smaller than the Army, there is no where near the level of corruption. They're a perfect match against the forces of corruption. From what I've seen, they can't be bought.

What has happened in the last year with taking back the beaches...is a miracle. I would never have imagined that this much could have been accomplished. Phuket was a cesspool of corruption before the coup.

PM Prayuth deserves everyone's support. He is the man.

The Navy is needed to enforce the beach rules. It would quickly become anarchy without someone doing it. The pattern is to encroach a little more every day till you own the beach.

The Thai Navy is interesting. Although a lot smaller than the Army, there is no where near the level of corruption. They're a perfect match against the forces of corruption. From what I've seen, they can't be bought.

What has happened in the last year with taking back the beaches...is a miracle. I would never have imagined that this much could have been accomplished. Phuket was a cesspool of corruption before the coup.

Yours is a good and correct post. i am glad the draft constitution failed it will give the general and his men more time to clean up the rampant corruption. But I guess we will now have to bear the red shirt ranters attack you post, "ad nauseum"

Hmmm, not so sure about the "from what I've seen, they can't be bought" comment, this because the recent court case against the Phuketwan journalists was because they mentioned the Reuters report on the Thai navy and their involvement in people trafficking!!! And prior to that the Navy were implicated in the selling of Rohingyas to fishing boats offshore Thailand.

I'm afraid the military, whether they be the army or the navy are just as corrupt as the BIB and to prove a point, why do you think the jetskis are still operating, along with the tuk tuk and taxi Mafia here in Patong, and the small businesses and bars are still paying tea money?

After an initial flurry of clearing a few things up, everything seems to have died down and the reason is that once the military understood what a monthly multi-million baht goldmine this place is, they wanted a cut of it, causing much friction between them and the BIB, and that's why nothing has been done about the aforementioned areas, because if they were really serious about their fight against corruption all of that would have been stopped.

It's just a case of another set of snouts in the trough.

The two young guys in camo must be wondering, "Why have we been sent here for this? It's not a military matter. Why can't the local police handle this?"

Welcome to Phuket. Yes, it really is that corrupt.

Meanwhile, Phuketians are still awaiting their "liberation" from the transport mafia here.

Edited by NamKangMan