Thai embassies in Malaysia ramp up visa fees

Thai embassies in Malaysia ramp up visa fees
The Phuket News

1441802404_1-org.jpg
Thai visas obtained in Malaysia have been ramped up by as much as 25%. Photo: The Phuket News

PHUKET: -- The Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur and the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Penang, both in Malaysia, have boosted their fees for visas by as much as 25%.

The move follows an announcement dated July 24, now posted on both offices’ websites. (See here and here.)

The new visa fees came into effect on September 1.

The visa fees are as follows:

1. Transit Visa (Single Entry) 120 MYR

2. Tourist Visa (Single Entry) 150 MYR

3. Non-Immigrant Visa

3.1 Three (3) months (Single Entry) 300 MYR

3.2 One (1) Year (Multiple Entry) 750 MYR

3.3 Three (3) Years (Multiple Entry) 1,500 MYR

4. ACMECS Single Visa (Single Entry) 150 MYR

Visa fees are payable in Malaysian ringgit and in cash only.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-embassies-in-malaysia-ramp-up-visa-fees-54033.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-10

How much!?!?!

Find out how much the new visa fees are in Baht with the Thaivisa Currency Converter

u reap what u sow Thailand making its own bed to lie in, everywhere else is so much better, social media has shown it as it is, corrupt, life is cheap, who ever u r. i have property in Surin it can rot away 4 all i care. @never going 2 thailand ever again,it`s a pity the thai people cannot see what the rest of the world can,biggest CIRCUS in the world RIP or RTP same same

• Like 2

Thailand has made it very clear it doesnt really want foreigners living here unless you have a bottomless pit of money.

Thousands of farangs have left Pattaya and other towns and are now liviing in the much cheaper Phillipines and other places where you get a 2 year visa on arrival. Panama is an emerging retirement destination. 6 months visa on arrival for farangs!

Thailands visa and immigration regs are a huge turn off and cost money. Its becoming a rubber stamp economy again.

Western airlines are ramping up flights to Manila. Thailands on the nose.

Vietnam is also easy to get a visa and cheap

• Like 2

u reap what u sow Thailand making its own bed to lie in, everywhere else is so much better, social media has shown it as it is, corrupt, life is cheap, who ever u r. i have property in Surin it can rot away 4 all i care. @never going 2 thailand ever again,it`s a pity the thai people cannot see what the rest of the world can,biggest CIRCUS in the world RIP or RTP same same

I take it when you say "property" you mean an old suitcase full of clothes..! seems things just did not go your way in Thailand... 26vinny.. another sad case..! wai.gif

• Like 1

yep, ,buying land is the same as paying for stupid Thai visas. Just a waste of money. Thailand gets rich out of our money. We get nothing in return except stamps in passports and thats it.

I was offered 5 rai of land on the grid in Ubon for 100,000 baht (20k /rai) why should i buy it ? its not legally mine to own. a Thai name must go on the title deed. Thais get 5 rai of land for free.... farang gets nothing. No ,thanks !

Thais think we're all fools. They think they can all get rich out of our money and laugh as we sit around in waiting rooms paying for rubber stamps and houses we cant own.

There are ways around some of this but most farangs dont know.

Edited by jalansanitwong

Penang. The current go-slow orders are perhaps an indication that all is not what it should be, could be, and previously was. In fact the extra day turnaround is punishment, in response to a complaint.

Such is life.

However, I do like the people at the gate. There just a couple of weeks ago, one of them actually remembered me by name, greeting me with a real smile. .. and: "I haven't seen you for a long time."

The young fellow with the mobile photocopy & passport photo service is also very helpful. (He is not embassy staff) We're Facebook friends now.

I don't mind going there at all.

From Komtar, the taxi fare is 18 MR, which I use if short of time. Otherwise the 103 bus from Komtar is only 1.40 and runs along Jala Burma, then an easy 15min walk to the embassy.

Jala Burma has a couple of good cafes, and there's an art gallery in Lorong Bangkok.

Get yourself a map and enjoy the day.

Whatever, this is how I make the best of the so called "visa run" to Penang.

It works for me.

• Like 2

whistling.gif The Malaysian Ringgit has dropped in value against most other currencies recently. That is even true against the Thai Baht.

A lot of that is due to falling Oil revenue from lower Oil prices.

Malaysia had been exporting Oil, and earning a lot of it's foreign currency income that way.

With the current Oil prices the way they are Malaysia is no longer getting that kind of income from it's Oil exports.

Therefore it makes sense to increase their visa fees.

People seem to forget that although it is a Thai embassy or consulate they must pay their utility bills (such as electricity) in Malaysian Ringgits.

So obviously, if the Ringgit falls their utility bills at the embassy or consulate still must be paid in local currency.

Also I dispute that Penang at least is expensive in Taxi fares.

I was in Penang in July to get a tourist visa.

I took a taxi from my hotel to the Penang Thai consulate, had the taxi wait for me until I picked up my visa (about 10minutes), and then take me back to the same hotel.

Cost me 50 MYR for the whole trip;

The buffet breakfast in that same hotel would have cost me 40 MYR.

Penang. The current go-slow orders are perhaps an indication that all is not what it should be, could be, and previously was. In fact the extra day turnaround is punishment, in response to a complaint.

Such is life.

However, I do like the people at the gate. There just a couple of weeks ago, one of them actually remembered me by name, greeting me with a real smile. .. and: "I haven't seen you for a long time."

The young fellow with the mobile photocopy & passport photo service is also very helpful. (He is not embassy staff) We're Facebook friends now.

From Komtar, the taxi fare is 18 MR, which I use if short of time. Otherwise the 103 bus from Komtar is only 1.40 and runs along Jala Burma, then an easy 15min walk to the embassy.

Jala Burma has a couple of good cafes, and there's an art gallery in Lorong Bangkok.

It works for me.

-----------------

I'm glad.

Unfortunately it wouldn't work for me.

I am partly disabled, in addition to being nearly 70 years old. (next month).

My days od riding the Komtar bus are unfortunately now over

Not complaining, just explaining

• Like 1

Why am I not shocked, this was the worst country to get a visa for Thailand. The taxi to and from the hotel cost more than the bloody vis

?? I paid 30 RM from komtar to airport with meter taxi (+7.7 airport fee) and thats 17.5 km

komtar to thai embassy is only 3.5 km

or you can take bus 10 komtar to macalister street , 150 m from embassy 2 RM

and in georgetown every 10 min free bus to komtar everywhere ...

so who did bad .. Malaysia or .... ;-)

Didn't you used to be able to pay in Baht? Anyone know if you still can and if so , has that gone up? If not I could do a little street side currency exchange on my visit there Monday. smile.png

Here's the link to official announcement at Penang Consulate.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/news-20150731-103408-798023.pdf

Here is link to the visa requirement page as it is a bit of a maze to find it in English. ( I hate the cutesy pics that make it seem all so cozy..)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/services-20140508-110623-169095.pdf

Edited by FBlue72

Didn't you used to be able to pay in Baht? Anyone know if you still can and if so , has that gone up? If not I could do a little street side currency exchange on my visit there Monday. smile.png

Here's the link to official announcement at Penang Consulate

http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/news-20150731-103408-798023.pdf

I don't recall the fee for visas ever being in baht in Malaysia. As far as I know the only countnry where you pay in baht is Laos.

• Like 1

Has anyone looked at the exchange rates recently. The MYR has devalued about 35% against the USD in the last 18 months. All they are doing is charging a similar amount when converted to a more international recognised currency.

Yes, it's only about the devaluation of the Ringgit, no reason to get happy for Thai bashers. Move on to the Philippines if you like. They really have lots of nice islands there, but not much to doo. Easy to get a visa, but i don't miss their junk food, the fancy criminality nor the taifun seasons. I also don't miss the hordes of cracy westerners hanging around in Angeles City.

^ I could swear I've paid in baht before.

The cutesy visa requirement page in that link has it one gets 90 days on a tourist visa. Is this a mistake?

The link you posted still has the old fees on it. New fees is here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/news-20150731-103408-798023.pdf

I only see 3 months mentioned for visa validity.

Such is life.

It works for me.

-----------------

I'm glad.

Unfortunately it wouldn't work for me.

I am partly disabled, in addition to being nearly 70 years old. (next month).

My days od riding the Komtar bus are unfortunately now over

Not complaining, just explaining

We'll I'm not so far behind you at 66, but sorry about your "partly disabled" status. I'm also still recovering just 2 years after being bowled over by a car in Melbourne -- wrecking both knees, so I'm using the walk as physio. But it sounds like I'm still a bit better off than you. What really stumped me in Penang, walking around, is the impossibly high kurbs in the city. Walking across roads can be a challenge to say the least. All the best.