Former DPM Kittirat defends rice pledging and first car programmes

webfact

Former DPM Kittirat defends rice pledging and first car programmes

176905-imagepng-259902-wpcf_728x413.png

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has misunderstood the rice pledging scheme and the first-car programme probably because he was misinformed by the previous economic team, said former deputy prime minister Kittirat NaRanong on Thursday.

Mr Kittirat posted a long message in his Facebook to defend the two populist schemes of the government of former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra in response to a statement by the prime minister that the two schemes have caused serious damages to the country.

He claimed that 3.7 million farming households or 23 percent of the population have benefited from the rice pledging scheme directly and indirectly and the rice pledging price, 15,000 baht per tonne of paddy, was not excessive when the production costs were taken into consideration and the farmers deserved it.

Regarding the 500 billion baht in damages caused by the scheme, Mr Kittirat defended that the amount was well within the five percent ceiling of the annual budget and the amount was used repeatedly to fund the scheme for five consecutive harvests.

On top of that, he pointed out there are still millions of tonnes of rice in the stockpiles which are yet to be sold. As for the delay in the release of rice from the stockpiles, he suggested the government to investigate to find out the actual cause or causes.

Mr Kittirat accused the former economic team led by Deputy Prime Minister M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula of not bothering to explain the benefits of the scheme and its multiplier effects in accordance with the principle of marginal propensity to consume.

Regarding the first-car programme, the ex-deputy prime minister defended that the programme had helped car assembly industry after the huge flood four years ago which badly affected the industry.

The scheme helped more people to own their first cars at affordable prices and the tax rebate, up to a maximum of 100,000 baht, which were returned to the car buyers was, in fact, paid by the buyers when they bought the cars and did not come from the treasury.

“No one bought a car merely he/she wanted to reclaim tax rebate from the government,” he rationalized.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-dpm-kittirat-defends-rice-pledging-and-first-car-programmes

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-10

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has misunderstood the rice pledging scheme and the first-car programme probably because he was misinformed by the previous economic team, said former deputy prime minister Kittirat NaRanong on Thursday.

LOL, all know that the main purpose of all Shins sponsored government are corruption,misappropriation of public goods, despotism and terrorism.....

He claimed that 3.7 million farming households or 23 percent of the population have benefited from the rice pledging scheme directly and indirectly and the rice pledging price, 15,000 baht per tonne of paddy, was not excessive when the production costs were taken into consideration and the farmers deserved it.

"the farmers deserved it" Actually they deserved better than that, and one of the things they deserved was to be paid. They also deserved the truth, but we all know that is too much to expect from this guy.

"the farmers deserved it" Actually they deserved better than that, and one of the things they deserved was to be paid. They also deserved the truth, but we all know that is too much to expect from this guy.

What that nice Mr Kittirat forgot to mention was that buying the rice was the cheapest part of the deal.

He skipped over

1 the storage costs,

2 the transportation costs

3 the fact that a lot of the rice wasn't actually there when a full audit was carried out,

4 the phantom G2G deals

5 the fact that the rice was actually too expensive to sell

6 the fact that a lot of the rice (even in storage) has rotted

7 the fact that there is still a few million tonnes of rice left over and not sold yet

8 the fact that many of the poorest farmers (the ones that the scheme was allegedly all about) weren't involved in the scheme at all

I am sure I could find a few more if I put my mind to it.

What Kittirat forgot to say ie the truth " The rice pledging scheme and the first-car programmes were just vote buying scams from TS to get YL elected so she could force through the Amnesty Bill. Which ended up getting a lot of poor people further in debt and made a lot of middlemen even richer, and future generations of Thai people a huge debt to repay"

What that nice Mr Kittirat forgot to mention was that buying the rice was the cheapest part of the deal.

He skipped over

1 the storage costs,

2 the transportation costs

3 the fact that a lot of the rice wasn't actually there when a full audit was carried out,

4 the phantom G2G deals

5 the fact that the rice was actually too expensive to sell

6 the fact that a lot of the rice (even in storage) has rotted

7 the fact that there is still a few million tonnes of rice left over and not sold yet

8 the fact that many of the poorest farmers (the ones that the scheme was allegedly all about) weren't involved in the scheme at all

I am sure I could find a few more if I put my mind to it.

Also forget to put an amount for it in the budget ... that is the worst as they knew it was costing money but did not budget for it as the budget was already stretched.

Not only did the farmers deserve better, the electorate deserved better. There was no transparency to the scheme. There was never a parliamentary vote to appropriate more money for the scheme because of the tremendous losses it was incurring. If there had been such a vote, a proper audit and accounting would have needed to be submitted. You fleeced the electorate without their knowledge and consent.

has this man been sleeping for 2 years, the first thing he speaks about after waking up speaks for itself and he is still getting it wrong or lying,

first car scheme might have been good to boost car sales in the local market but had no effect whatsoever on international exports which is what Thailand needs, the scheme is also resposible for putting a lot of Thai families into a mountain of debt they did not need and could not afford......epic failure

Rice scheme.........don't know were to begin, the actual cost to the Thai people is more like 800 billion

The man is an idiot and would be better staying quiet - why is he not in a court room

Edited by smedly

A lot of rich people and companies got richer,the poor and middle class got deeper in debt,

Thailand wasted a lot of taxpayers money that could have been spent on much more important

things, like health,schools,helping the really poor,these are only 2 of policy's that were ill thought out,

and they are still costing money today.its a real shame.

regards worgeordie

Not only did the farmers deserve better, the electorate deserved better. There was no transparency to the scheme. There was never a parliamentary vote to appropriate more money for the scheme because of the tremendous losses it was incurring. If there had been such a vote, a proper audit and accounting would have needed to be submitted. You fleeced the electorate without their knowledge and consent.

I'm sure the rice buying scheme was poorly thought out, badly managed and riddled with corruption, so obviously it's much better to have an unelected government that doesn't need a parliamentary vote (or any other vote for that matter) because then no one can accuse them of abuse of power or mismanagement, right?

Because if you answer to no one and even grant yourself an amnesty then you're golden, right??

At least the current government put the farmer subsidy scheme as reservation in the National Budget, rather than proclaiming it "self-financing'

Interesting how former MoF 'little while lies' Kittirat uses his selective memory to defend the scam.

"Regarding the 500 billion baht in damages caused by the scheme, Mr Kittirat defended that the amount was well within the five percent ceiling of the annual budget"

Absolutely amazing. His defence against the massive corruption is that it was taken from an approved budget. I think that corruption is so normal for him and the other dirty cronies, it doesn't even occur to him it should have been given to the farmers.

I have nothing but contempt for these thieves and liars. They should be in jail for abuse of power after the amnesty disgrace. The problem is, I expect the next lot will only be marginally better.

"Regarding the 500 billion baht in damages caused by the scheme, Mr Kittirat defended that the amount was well within the five percent ceiling of the annual budget"

Absolutely amazing. His defence against the massive corruption is that it was taken from an approved budget. I think that corruption is so normal for him and the other dirty cronies, it doesn't even occur to him it should have been given to the farmers.

I have nothing but contempt for these thieves and liars. They should be in jail for abuse of power after the amnesty disgrace. The problem is, I expect the next lot will only be marginally better.

What massive corruption?

I'm sure the rice buying scheme was poorly thought out, badly managed and riddled with corruption, so obviously it's much better to have an unelected government that doesn't need a parliamentary vote (or any other vote for that matter) because then no one can accuse them of abuse of power or mismanagement, right?

Because if you answer to no one and even grant yourself an amnesty then you're golden, right??

At least the current government put the farmer subsidy scheme as reservation in the National Budget, rather than proclaiming it "self-financing'

Interesting how former MoF 'little while lies' Kittirat uses his selective memory to defend the scam.

Rubi, the international credit rating seem unperturbed and maintained their BBB+ rating with a stable outlook. The debt to GDP ratio was a decent 45.7% in 2013. Are you purposefully ignoring the bigger picture?

Does that justify losing 500 to 700++ billion Baht on a scheme positioned as 'self-financing' ? Are you implying that because of the financial situation the Yingluck government could throw away such money even if they had to lie about it?

This is fairly typical of the mentality and attitude of the people who were in power at that time, I am sure they all genuinely believe their own rhetoric and spin.

To them these were all legitimate schemes that have been grossly misunderstood, that the facts have been twisted and distorted by their malicious political opponents just to cause them harm.

Ample evidence (if anyone still needs it) that this whole group of corrupt, callous, greedy and immoral people can never be allowed back in charge of this country. It will take generations for Thailand to recover from the losses incurred during the last feeding frenzy at the public trough, this country cannot afford another bout of mismanagement and corruption.

His arrogant and dismissive words speak volumes, only the most naive and indoctrinated could possibly see it any other way...

Edited by Bignose

What massive corruption?
With 25,000+ posts to your name you obvisly spend too much time writing and not enough reading. Whilst massive corruption has not yet been proven in court for the fake G2G deals a few small fry have been convicted of buying the rice from the warehouses at about 8,000 Baht a ton and then selling it back at 15,000 a ton. It is only a matter of time before the big players do get convicted.

You should also notice that the red supporters are not stupid enough to try and support this known liar.

Edited by uty6543

What massive corruption?
With 25,000+ posts to your name you obvisly spend too much time writing and not enough reading. Whilst massive corruption has not yet been proven in court for the fake G2G deals a few small fry have been convicted of buying the rice from the warehouses at about 8,000 Baht a ton and then selling it back at 15,000 a ton. It is only a matter of time before the big players do get convicted.

You should also notice that the red supporters are not stupid enough to try and support this known liar.

The number touted on that is 20bn. Let's see. Although elsewhere it is mentioned in another thread 65,000 tonnes. Which out of 75,000,000 tonnes is piffling.

There was corruption but the 500bn is almost entirely accounted in the loss of the scheme not corruption.

Edited by Thai at Heart

What massive corruption?

The number touted on that is 20bn. Let's see. Although elsewhere it is mentioned in another thread 65,000 tonnes. Which out of 75,000,000 tonnes is piffling.

There was corruption but the 500bn is almost entirely accounted in the loss of the scheme not corruption.

Come on TaH, admit you clocked up so many posts by defending the indefensible ! clap2.gif

What massive corruption?

Come on TaH, admit you clocked up so many posts by defending the indefensible ! clap2.gif

People scream 500bn and massive corruption, believing the two are related. There has to have been corruption, but of the loss, if it's 20bn, do the maths.

4% is not massive corruption by any measure for this type of scheme.....considering and average construction project is 25%

Edited by Thai at Heart

What massive corruption?

Are you serious ?.

The 500 billion which disappeared from the expenditure of 600 billion.

But I think you knew that already. Shame on you.