Relaxation Of Drinking Laws

womble

I think this is a sign of things to come, the persecution of entertainment areas and the alcohol industry looks to be over.

I think Thailand is going to be a fun place again.

This bodes well for tourism. :o

Bans on selling alcohol on Royal family members' B-days lifted

Interior Ministry revokes its order which bans selling of alcohol on the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and Queen and other royal family members.

Sura-art Tongniramon, deputy permanent secretary for interior said that the ministry, has received several complaints from business operators of alcoholic drinks as well as owners of entertainment places that they suffered from the old order.

The ministry decided to revoke the order after being informed by the Royal Household Bureau that it does not have policy to prohibit the sales of the alcoholic drinks on the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and the Queen and those of the royal family members.

The ministry then informed the decision to all governors.

nation

It was on the nation website under the breaking news section today.

I gave credit to the site at the bottom of my post.

I think it's great news, but seems strange that they announce this so early, I would have thought there would be other things on their mind.

I guess each ministry is busy with it's own agenda.

Maybe the interior ministry is deciding to get rid of all the stupid strict laws brought in by the Thaksin government.

Maybe we will see petrol stations open all night?

Nightclubs open later?

A generally more relaxed and fun place than it was during Thaksin's tenure?

a brave new country and all some people are bothered about is how long the bars are going to be open for.

Well, I'm in my mid 20s and would surely appreciate not getting thrown out at 1am from a normal club, with decent thais and farangs...I got really tired of having to choose between going home or going to one of those hidden places that are still opened untill morning with all kinds of cheap and shady individuals

a brave new country and all some people are bothered about is how long the bars are going to be open for.

Well, I guess that if you work in the night-time entertainment industry (bar work or restaurants) then it could make a big difference.

no shit, sherlock ? :o

Well, I'm in my mid 20s and would surely appreciate not getting thrown out at 1am from a normal club, with decent thais and farangs...I got really tired of having to choose between going home or going to one of those hidden places that are still opened untill morning with all kinds of cheap and shady individuals

I'd definitely be in favour of having more choice after the current 1/1:30/2am close. Some places still manage to stay open a bit later, but it's so hit and miss at what time the police arrive!

Well, I guess that if you work in the night-time entertainment industry (bar work or restaurants) then it could make a big difference.

And anyway, as tourists , what else are we supposed to be worrying about.? People go to Thailand for fun , not to be told when they can drink , when they can buy petrol , etc etc. Tourists want a 24 hour society , so why shouldn't they be concerned about all the reactionary laws Taksin introduced. I applaud these initial moves and hope they scrap the rest of the Taksin nonsense and return Thailand to its fun days pre-Taksin.

Anything goes Thailand, thats why people come here (at least most of them )

Was always part of the FUN of visiting Bangers when one could"lea-sur-lay"accend from the bowels of the Therme at round about 7-00am after a last beer into the bright early morning Sukhumvit sunshine and make your way back to your hotel for a final final last one before crashing out for the rest of the day. :o

Couldnt do it everynight of course.. too many authors and travel journalists hunched down in there writing books about their naughty war stories and Thai "sick buffs" experiences....move over Jack....Bernard.. :D

Could it happen again?

Well it's not all i'm bothered about, as this whole thing had a lot more to it than simply a social order campaign.

Thailand nightspots are owned by some very powerful people, also the alcohol industry involves alot of very powerful familys. It's an open secret in Bangkok that the social order campaign was actually a way of reducing the incomes and ultimately power of military members who own nightspots and the powerful families in the Alcohol industry.

Everything Thaksin ever did was about to things. Increasing his power, and reducing the power of others (potential future threats).

A lot of people thought it was to do with stopping their childeren going to clubs. No, it was all about reducing peoples power. No money = no power, a lot of the top military people get a very large percentage of their money from entertainment venues.

Leftcross, you seem to think this is only about whether we can go to a bar late or not, maybe you should open your eyes a bit more and see the full picture.

We did.

Also if you care to look around the site, particulary the news section you will notice that many of use are involved in discussion on many topics relating to the coup.

What makes you assume we have nothing else on our minds other than openign hours?

Maybe next time you'll think before posting something that really is of no benefit whatsoever to the thread.

Or at least think a little and write something that is more constructive and adds to the forum, rather than trying to belittle members who are having a sensible discussion.

The coup is over, Thailand need to get back on it's feet, that starts with getting rid of many of Thaksin policies.

We need to discuss this. This is the relevant time.

Sorry for my rant, but these kind of comments really get to me, just like the "if you don't like it go home", these comments are of no use to us, they add nothing to the discussion, I believe often they are from people who are eigher too lazy to discuss something properly, or with intelligence too low to offer anything better.

Edited by womble

It was on the nation website under the breaking news section today.

I gave credit to the site at the bottom of my post.

I think it's great news, but seems strange that they announce this so early, I would have thought there would be other things on their mind.

I guess each ministry is busy with it's own agenda.

Maybe the interior ministry is deciding to get rid of all the stupid strict laws brought in by the Thaksin government.

Maybe we will see petrol stations open all night?

Nightclubs open later?

A generally more relaxed and fun place than it was during Thaksin's tenure?

My apologies for that error on my part. I really must clean my glasses.

Well it's not all i'm bothered about, as this whole thing had a lot more to it than simply a social order campaign.

Thailand nightspots are owned by some very powerful people, also the alcohol industry involves alot of very powerful familys. It's an open secret in Bangkok that the social order campaign was actually a way of reducing the incomes and ultimately power of military members who own nightspots and the powerful families in the Alcohol industry.

Everything Thaksin ever did was about to things. Increasing his power, and reducing the power of others (potential future threats).

A lot of people thought it was to do with stopping their childeren going to clubs. No, it was all about reducing peoples power. No money = no power, a lot of the top military people get a very large percentage of their money from entertainment venues.

Leftcross, you seem to think this is only about whether we can go to a bar late or not, maybe you should open your eyes a bit more and see the full picture.

We did.

i doubt many tourists go in the thai nightspots. they stick to the farang bars, which are nearly all owned by fat farangs wearing chang vests :o

We did.

i doubt many tourists go in the thai nightspots. they stick to the farang bars, which are nearly all owned by fat farangs wearing chang vests :o

What has that to do with anything?

It's true that many nightspots are owned by foreigners, but many more are owned by powerful Thai's. Think of areas such as Ratchada and RCA, also the people that own the land in these areas. Longer opening hours means more business, more cash = more rent.

We did.

Also if you care to look around the site, particulary the news section you will notice that many of use are involved in discussion on many topics relating to the coup.

What makes you assume we have nothing else on our minds other than openign hours?

Maybe next time you'll think before posting something that really is of no benefit whatsoever to the thread.

Or at least think a little and write something that is more constructive and adds to the forum, rather than trying to belittle members who are having a sensible discussion.

The coup is over, Thailand need to get back on it's feet, that starts with getting rid of many of Thaksin policies.

We need to discuss this. This is the relevant time.

Sorry for my rant, but these kind of comments really get to me, just like the "if you don't like it go home", these comments are of no use to us, they add nothing to the discussion, I believe often they are from people who are eigher too lazy to discuss something properly, or with intelligence too low to offer anything better.

Interesting what you say about the reason behind the so-called social order. My observation is that many of the major Thai night spots evade the early closing regs anyway.

My perception is also that there is a cabal of hi-so Thais who are desperately trying to turn Bangkok into some kind of westernised city, with clean streets, laws that everyone obeys, no red light districts, and drinking and other vices severely curtailed. Of course such cities don't exist, but that doesn't stop these crusaders, who are "ashamed" of their country, doing their utmost to change Bangkok. Some of these people happened to be factions in the TRT /Thaksin juggernaut, and I suspect it suited Thaksin to let them have their head, and let them pass a few rules that in the end had minimal effect, but succedeed in pissing off a lot of farangs.

I doubt whether repealing these rules will be high priority with the new regime - but who knows?

That's what I reckon anyway - but I could be wrong :o

My wife who is Thai and likes to drink alcohol would prefer that the laws against drinking on H.M. the King's birthday be left in place out of respect. To her the idea of drunken people in a bar making toasts to H.M. the King on his birthday is repulsive.

Chownah

My wife who is Thai and likes to drink alcohol would prefer that the laws against drinking on H.M. the King's birthday be left in place out of respect. To her the idea of drunken people in a bar making toasts to H.M. the King on his birthday is repulsive.

Chownah

Agree, but this...unfortunately, is the effect of the poor education, which, somebody is responsible for :o I'm made a toast in a restaurant for HM the Queen's birthday, I will have a toast on the HM the King's birthday too, does this makes me a drunken fool? Toasting doesn't mean getting drunk, people should know that.

yeah my gf said something similar at first although we talked about it and we came to the conclusion that before thaksin was in power entertainment zones were open on those days, the article also says that the Royal household has no wishes for places to be closed on those days.

When you think of all the days Thaksin closed bars, buddha days and any other excuse, if his intensions were transparent and out of respect you could understand it, but when you know there are ulterior motives it ceases to be in the interests of the populace.

It is good to show respect but I think when that can have a negative effect on areas of the economy, maybe it's taking things too far.

It's simply astounding how many of Thaksins policies were made with aims to strengthen allies and weaken enemies. Just about every major policy TRT came out with had ulterior hidden motives. Literally nothing was done purely for the good of the people or society. Everything had to somehow strengthen power and increase their revenue, whilst at the same time not erode their popularity in the provinces. If not it was of little importance to them.

Chownah

my wife finds it disgusting that people wearing yellow t-shirts commit criminal acts or do not act in a way that would please His Majesty.

she is disgusted to open the newspaper and see people arrested for murder, rape, robbery and planting bombs all waering yellow t-shirts.

i don't see how a celebratory toast would offend?

I doubt it, I don't think this is something that most Thai's are too bothered about. If bars close on these days they accept it, if they are open they will treat the day as any other whilst ofcourse each in their own ways showing respect.

I think the only people who will be excited about this are those who it directly effects in business. I think it has a lot more to do with removing the hallmarks of Thaksins 5 years in power. It's a statement that says we are no longer an authoritarian society. I think many of Thaksins policies will be reversed especially the ones that infringed on people civil liberties.

One of the symptoms of the Thaksin regime was the feeling of living in a more restrictive society. Somehow things didn't seem so fun, doing away with many of these laws is a sensible way of returning the country to how it was before as many of these policies if left in place continue to work against society and for Thaksin even though he is no longer in power.

So many things will need to be systematically changed or removed, otherwise they will continue to work for the high ranking members of TRT. It's no good just removing the main players, you have to dismantle the whole thing if you want to make sure these people don't have an easy time trying to get back in power sometime in the future.

I think it's possible Thaksin will be found guilty of many things, but I expect one of the main aims will be to ban Thaksin from being able to be PM again. With Thaksin's money he could certainly be a threat in the future, and he is young so has plenty of time. We know Thaksin doesn't give in easy, why should we assume he has given in for good now?

I noticed that Thaksin has already stated that he may run in the next election, whether this was just saving face I don't know, one thing for sure though is one day in the future when the leadership of the country is not so strong he may pounce and then there will be no way to get rid of him.

It's important for him to be banned from politics in order to eliminate that threat.