No turkey in LOS?

chicowoodduck

Found a fairly old report (Apr 2015) about bans due to bird flu oubreak in the US.

No idea whether is still relevant.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dozens-of-countries-are-banning-us-poultry-because-of-a-huge-bird-flu-outbreak-2015-4

I guess the US is not the only exporter for turkey?

Check the labels.

The outbreak as such seems over.

Still shortages.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/16/us-health-birdflu-usa-rebuilding-idUSKCN0QL0PT20150816

Edited by KhunBENQ

Those swans at Lumpini better be on their...uh...toe equivalents come holiday time.

There was a fellow raising a large number of turkeys in Thailand when Bird Flu hit 10 years ago. Government slaughtered, burned and buried every bird; wiped him out.

There was a big culling of laying hens (chickens that are kept for laying eggs, as opposed to those that are slaughtered for sale as soon as they are plump enough) in the US as of a few months ago. Price of eggs jumped about 50%, cost of chicken hasn't really changed. Didn't hear anything about turkeys, though.

The US has all these turkey products that primarily involve the turkey breast (white meat), but what happens to all the drumsticks? They get exported! In Malaysia it is somewhat common for eateries to have curried turkey legs. You can buy the legs frozen at any large supermarket. Never looked for these in Thailand myself.

Theres a guy rearing & selling Turkeys in the next village to me, dont know who buys them as there not cheap, 1500 Bht a bird & theres hardly any falangs around here, cant imagine many Thais paying that sort of money...

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a guy rearing & selling Turkeys in the next village to me, dont know who buys them as there not cheap, 1500 Bht a bird & theres hardly any falangs around here, cant imagine many Thais paying that sort of money...

He hit the nail on the head. Turkeys are expensive in Thailand. He should do pretty good.

• 1 month later...

Do you know if he sells by the bird or by the kilo? I am looking for some Turkeys for thanksgiving dinner and given the Turkey shortage, I am considering Thai Turkeys ( never had one before ).

Do you know if he sells by the bird or by the kilo? I am looking for some Turkeys for thanksgiving dinner and given the Turkey shortage, I am considering Thai Turkeys ( never had one before ).

Here Post #3, but be quick before they make him take out his phone number

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/869397-looking-to-buy-turkeys-for-thanksgiving/

I'm afraid that the news is correct. It is currently illegal to import turkeys into Thailand due to bird flu. We have been asked by many of our customers about supplying turkeys both for ThanksGiving and also Xmas, it doesn't seem possible to get any at all.

We are looking at alternatives which I guess could be hock of ham or even pork or beef roasting joints (or just steaks!).

At the moment we do have a good range of meats available for delivery anywhere in Thailand, here is the link if interested http://www.passiondelivery.com/collections/premium-imported-meat.

If the turkey situation changes I'll be sure to let you all know...

makro on Sukhumvit in Pattaya had Butterball & Norbest turkeys tonight as well as a turkey breast roast.

Do you remember the kg price on them?

Edit:

Nevermind, I just saw your post in the other thread. 350 & 300. Basically double from last year.

Edited by NiwPix

• 2 weeks later...

I took this pick at Foodland on Nov 1.

post-140919-0-35140000-1448613434_thumb.

At that price, no wonder stores don't carry too many. Thais sure won't buy them and there aren't too many foreigners who will plunk down $107.65 USD for a ten pound bird. There were plenty of frozen Butterball turkey breasts (deboned & skinned with the gravy packet inside), which are smaller, but more affordable at around 1000-1300 baht.

Another consideration is that most Thai houses don't have ovens, and turkeys are too big to fit in those glass halogen countertop ovens. All my Thai in-laws think turkey is delicious, but given the effort and facilities required to prepare it, it's no wonder they're not popular here.

Edited by attrayant

I took this pick at Foodland on Nov 1.

attachicon.gifturkey.jpg

At that price, no wonder stores don't carry too many. Thais sure won't buy them and there aren't too many foreigners who will plunk down $107.65 USD for a ten pound bird. There were plenty of frozen Butterball turkey breasts (deboned & skinned with the gravy packet inside), which are smaller, but more affordable at around 1000-1300 baht.

Another consideration is that most Thai houses don't have ovens, and turkeys are too big to fit in those glass halogen countertop ovens. All my Thai in-laws think turkey is delicious, but given the effort and facilities required to prepare it, it's no wonder they're not popular here.

that is unbelievable 800bht.a kilo.

tesco uk.own brand frozen 190bht.kilo.

tesco finest bronz frozen 250bht.a kilo.

tesco's finest free range is only 525bht.a kilo.

bernard mathews buti full birds are only 160bht.a kilo.

thats one bird i wont be stuffing this xmas.biggrin.png