Another day in paradise - what is your experience?

sawadee1947

Did my 90 day check-in Thursday in Chiang Mai. Arrived at 8:30 and was out by 9:30. Efficient and organized. MUCH better than their old office.If you want aircon, there's a whole mall to cool in.

and then you woke up right ... clap2.gif

So you claim that you arrived just as they gave out numbers - what number did you get then ... ?

Sawadee1947: Thanks for sharing your experience in that awful awful Immigration. I think it will only be a Q of time before there will be a move-out for many expats. No surprise what you wrote brought out the brigade of "If you dont love it leave it" ...

Thailand dont want expats for some reason. In my case I have about 10-15 people (Family and friends) visiting me per year and think many expats can say same but I guess TAT dont need these people as they make their own numbers of visitors ...blink.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my 90 day check-in Thursday in Chiang Mai. Arrived at 8:30 and was out by 9:30. Efficient and organized. MUCH better than their old office.If you want aircon, there's a whole mall to cool in.

and then you woke up right ... clap2.gif

So you claim that you arrived just as they gave out numbers - what number did you get then ... ?

Sawadee1947: Thanks for sharing your experience in that awful awful Immigration. I think it will only be a Q of time before there will be a move-out for many expats. No surprise what you wrote brought out the brigade of "If you dont love it leave it" ...

Thailand dont want expats for some reason. In my case I have about 10-15 people (Family and friends) visiting me per year and think many expats can say same but I guess TAT dont need these people as they make their own numbers of visitors ...blink.png

Red 27 for extensions. They were processing 3 at a time.

Don't generalize guys - you are all talking about Chiang Mai, not Thailand.

I do not recognise the pain of your immigration experience one iota. Usually takes less than 20 minutes and always less than 45 in my part of Isaan. There is rarely anyone else before me when I go into Sisaket Immigration if I go in the afternoon.

It beggars belief how immigration in CM can muck up the process so comprehensively. And you are the guys that have some consular representation in your town too. We all know that many embassies do sweet FA for their citizens, but you'd think the local reps would do something on a local level.

It works very well for me and many others like me in Nakhon Sawan. The front office staff there are all nice ladies and farang friendly. We have no problems there at all.

As SantiSuk says above not all immigration offices are like Chiang Mai.

Don't generalize guys - you are all talking about Chiang Mai, not Thailand.

I do not recognise the pain of your immigration experience one iota. Usually takes less than 20 minutes and always less than 45 in my part of Isaan. There is rarely anyone else before me when I go into Sisaket Immigration if I go in the afternoon.

It beggars belief how immigration in CM can muck up the process so comprehensively. And you are the guys that have some consular representation in your town too. We all know that many embassies do sweet FA for their citizens, but you'd think the local reps would do something on a local level.

I must admit that all my experiences with Samui Immigration have been quick and helpful. Perhaps it's because I take my beautiful, educated, polite Thai Wife with me who effortlessly irons any little problems. Been here 10 years now. Sure there is one grumpy staff member, whom we avoid, but the front office staff are normally helpful and cooperative. Even know a couple of them by their first names! Taking "home made brownie cakes" occasionally for all the staff might helpthumbsup.gif

They view us as either invaders or teachers. When I say teachers I dont mean english teachers. Teachers meaning we have something they want or need...........Decades ago they didnt know where to place Joe Farang in there hiarchy nowadays Ole Joe has done warn of his welcome. But for the most part who can blame them....

My biggest gripe with immigration, and indeed Thai people is that they have no ability to decipher a good expat from white trash.

Thus all expats get treated as the white trash lowest denominator.

In my experience, all thais in any position of authority work upon the presumption that all westerners are stupid, alcoholic, whore mongers.

My biggest gripe with immigration, and indeed Thai people is that they have no ability to decipher a good expat from white trash.

In my experience, all thais in any position of authority work upon the presumption that all westerners are stupid, alcoholic, whore mongers.

Fact is immigration, customs and a few other goverments departments that have to deal with non natives typically treat foreigners like trash the world over, all the whingers show is their lack of overseas travel thats all, Thai immigration aint that bad

Why should have to deciper the good from the bad anyway ? If one wants the red carpet rolled out in Thailand go and pay for TE and chances are you will never have to visit an immigration office again or if you do, your visit will painless

Edited by Soutpeel

Fact is immigration, customs and a few other goverments departments that have to deal with non natives typically treat foreigners like trash the world over, all the whingers show is their lack of overseas travel thats all, Thai immigration aint that bad

Why should have to deciper the good from the bad anyway ? If one wants the red carpet rolled out in Thailand go and pay for TE and chances are you will never have to visit an immigration office again or if you do, your visit will painless

Too true. Even Canadian and American Immigration/ Border Guards can be nasty pieces of work and we're supposed to be best friends!

Too true. Even Canadian and American Immigration/ Border Guards can be nasty pieces of work and we're supposed to be best friends!

Part of an immigration officers job description the world over is to be an <deleted> and the fact you want some thing off them, means you have to play nice them except in your own country where you can tell them to go F themselves :D

And just like Thailand, some Embassies, airports and border checkpoints have great immigration staff, and some are the pits.

Edited by impulse

You guys are missing the point. When I am in (insert other third world country) government workers, taxi drivers, and the like will ask me questions like, what city are you from, what job do you do, what university did you study at, are you married, do you have any kids and will react to that information to communicate with you.

That seldom happens in Thailand. They simply just don't care.

You spent an hour of your life (plus travelling time) to report where you live to the state, (which has been proven again and again a pointless process reminiscent of the novel 1984) just so they don't fine and threaten you, and you're complimenting them ???

Have you ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome?

Edited by Time Traveller

You guys are missing the point. When I am in (insert other third world country) government workers, taxi drivers, and the like will ask me questions like, what city are you from, what job do you do, what university did you study at, are you married, do you have any kids and will react to that information to communicate with you.

I was replying to Soutpeel's post.

I have been asked those types of questions by a lot of Thais.

Many Thais have shown curiosity about me being Canadian and why I came here.

It may have to do with you and not Thai people.

I don't know, why you guys always bitch around about the Immigration,....I drive to the closest or most interesting border.., If I'm in Chiang Mai I like to go to Mae Sai. Or Mae Sot, take a couple days out, go shopping,....go to some places ....make it fun and interesting.

In the South,...I go to Ranong or Penang, Interesting places....!

That is ? if, you have time, to do this !!!

Most of you guys have the time but are to lazy or to used to there comfort and lost there sense of a bit of adventure,... the unknown...?!?!

Best regards, Off Road pat.

(life is a book, if you never travel you read only one page....) (copied this from somebody ells, but so true.)

Just 2 weeks ago I had to go to my immigration office to give the residence form need it for a renewal of my driver license. 2 PM, The office was empty, and after giving the form to the officer, I told him that I will get a free coffee and set until was done. I asked if I need copies of my passport too. He said yes, but that they will do it for me. Not worry. In about 15 minutes he called my first name to give me the form signed and stamped by the boss, and we have enough time to chat about gardening because were just more 3 people at that time, but the office have 4 officers plus the boss. He was not busy. When he gave me back the passport I noticed that my 90 days will due in 40 days, and I asked if I can do it at that time, even if I am 20 minutes away bicycling from my home. Sure. I got my new 90 days. All done, but I decided to get another coffee and enjoy the nice seats and the AC..and a chat with another farang that just arrived with his wife, and a new born baby. The officers joined them to take a picture and cheers. I felt bad going back to the street in that hot day.

I am joking. Naaaa. Just living in a smaller nice town, not to far away from Chiang Mai.

Could all the people who have, or are, threatening to leave please stop posting and follow through with their threats.

Your obvious contempt for Thailand is clear. Now please leave the forum for the rest of the posters who do, or desire to live here.

Your whining and bitching about things that may or may not have happened to you recently or decades ago is, quite frankly, boring.

Join a Mexican/Cambodian/Colombian/Bermudan etc etc forum and bore them there.

Thank you.

Sounds about right how government offices work. But, this should be way down on the list to question ones reason for being here.

You just had a bad day and it's usually a wasted day anyways. Just be lucky they didn't scrutinize or reject you.

It was an application for a retirement extensions wasn't it?

What other pressing business did the OP have that applying to say in the country of his choice was such a big drama?

Late for work??? Needed to feed the ducks?

Let me hazard a guess..the OP is from the UK?

Prefacing this with just my opinion and...I still love Thailand, but...it is not anything like the place it was 20+ years ago when it truly was "The Land of Smiles". Back then and all though the 90's and early 2000's, a farang was still a welcome sight. Not anymore. I've jokingly refereed to it these past few years as "The Land of Snarls", but it's really not that far off. Thailand has been overwhelmed with tourists and expats and has become a classic tourist trap...a place where the local people couldn't care less if they ever see your face again. Nowadays we all look alike and they don't like what they're seeing.

That said, I don't mean to say that the Immigration process was more enjoyable back then BUT EVERYTHING ELSE WAS and more affordable too, so any particular inconvenience didn't add up and take it's toll on us like it does today. Today everything is inconvenient, pricey AND worse, met with "baditude". The wais are gone...the smiles are gone...even the 'mai bpen rai' style is gone. Nowadays many Thai employees do not hesitate to show their stress, frustration and rude apathy at the slightest thing. In some cases I understand and empathize with them, but it has become the unpleasant reality. They are now overwhelmed throughout each day while still making pitiful wages. Back then they also made pitiful wages, but at least they weren't anywhere near as busy.

ALL venues in Thailand have raised their prices considerably over the years, yet wages for the employees have not gone up in kind. The prices at western type businesses like McDonald's, 7-11, Pizza Hut, Boots, Starbucks, etc are the same, or higher in many cases in Thailand than in their countries of origin...yet the employees in The States, UK, Europe, Australia are making a helluva lot more money than their Thai counterparts on a relative basis.

I've carved out my little slice of paradise here, but overall LOS has lost alot of it's luster...coffee1.gif

Edited by Skeptic7

Maybe they feel they are not competent or confident enough to communicate with you in English?

You spent an hour of your life (plus travelling time) to report where you live to the state, (which has been proven again and again a pointless process reminiscent of the novel 1984) just so they don't fine and threaten you, and you're complimenting them ???

Have you ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome?

In Orwells1984 it was its own citizens, your not a citizen or PR of Thailand, your 1984 reference might be valid if it was their own citizens or PR they were doing it to

Fact is this is were I think a lot of farangs get very confused in that they believe it's their right to be in Thailand and they believe they are legal permanent residents or even citizens

So much bullshit on so many levels.

If that's been your experience, it's probably because you're no way as outwardly distinguishable from the "white trash" as you think you are.

With the odd, rare exception, I've been treated very well and with respect by immigration officers whether coming into the country or sorting my extensions

So much bullshit on so many levels.

If that's been your experience, it's probably because you're no way as outwardly distinguishable from the "white trash" as you think you are.

With the odd, rare exception, I've been treated very well and with respect by immigration officers whether coming into the country or sorting my extensions

In 15 years never had a problem with immigration at the airports and to be honest havent been near an immigration office for an extension in years, our office immigration fairy turns up once a year takes the pp and WP and a few days later returned with another stamp in it for the year, on the occassions i have had to do a 90 day report typically takes no more than 5 minutes and a 12 km drive

After nine years in Thailand, I'm moving to Mexico in about a month. Since Jomtien Immigration has absolutely STREAMLINED their extension of stay/90 day reporting (and some day perhaps more success with their online process), the only two thing keeping me needing to leave are 1) the fact I can't play music in public without fear of arrest and, 2) Jomtien beach is a sewer.

I've done my fair share of paying through the nose and spending hours of frustration at my embassy and immigration. As well, I've whinged plenty about Thai bureaucracy, their educational system, ad nauseam.

In the retrospect of KNOWING I'm leaving soon, it's really not that bad a place. I just moved into a condo on the beach (BEAUTIFUL view!) and feel great sorrow about leaving. If it weren't for the two reasons above, I'd happily live out the rest of my days here, but those are deal-breakers for me.

Up to you . . .

Can you give me some more informatiom about Mexico (to my personal account please)

Why would you want someone else to do your research? Don't you know how do use google?

It will tell you everything you want to know, the good and the bad....

Sounds about right how government offices work. But, this should be way down on the list to question ones reason for being here.

You just had a bad day and it's usually a wasted day anyways. Just be lucky they didn't scrutinize or reject you.

It was an application for a retirement extensions wasn't it?

What other pressing business did the OP have that applying to say in the country of his choice was such a big drama?

Late for work??? Needed to feed the ducks?

Let me hazard a guess..the OP is from the UK?

I am from the UK, I don't bitch about immigration, please do not tar us all with the same brush....my trips to immo are very pleasant, in and out in no time, every time. It's great when one of your mates is an immigration officer. Somebody likes Brits....55555 Edited by Ghostnigel

• 2 weeks later...

Prefacing this with just my opinion and...I still love Thailand, but...it is not anything like the place it was 20+ years ago when it truly was "The Land of Smiles". Back then and all though the 90's and early 2000's, a farang was still a welcome sight. Not anymore. I've jokingly refereed to it these past few years as "The Land of Snarls", but it's really not that far off. Thailand has been overwhelmed with tourists and expats and has become a classic tourist trap...a place where the local people couldn't care less if they ever see your face again. Nowadays we all look alike and they don't like what they're seeing.

That said, I don't mean to say that the Immigration process was more enjoyable back then BUT EVERYTHING ELSE WAS and more affordable too, so any particular inconvenience didn't add up and take it's toll on us like it does today. Today everything is inconvenient, pricey AND worse, met with "baditude". The wais are gone...the smiles are gone...even the 'mai bpen rai' style is gone. Nowadays many Thai employees do not hesitate to show their stress, frustration and rude apathy at the slightest thing. In some cases I understand and empathize with them, but it has become the unpleasant reality. They are now overwhelmed throughout each day while still making pitiful wages. Back then they also made pitiful wages, but at least they weren't anywhere near as busy.

ALL venues in Thailand have raised their prices considerably over the years, yet wages for the employees have not gone up in kind. The prices at western type businesses like McDonald's, 7-11, Pizza Hut, Boots, Starbucks, etc are the same, or higher in many cases in Thailand than in their countries of origin...yet the employees in The States, UK, Europe, Australia are making a helluva lot more money than their Thai counterparts on a relative basis.

I've carved out my little slice of paradise here, but overall LOS has lost alot of it's luster...coffee1.gif

I don't know any place that is today the same as 20 years ago and I'm talking about in the states too. I was just down in Bali and Lombok, Indonesia. Aside from a bit nicer weather those places make Thailand appear 1st class. The roads here are serene by comparison. I'm sure it was lovely 20 years ago before being taken over by Aussie expats and tourists.

My friend had the same problem with immigration in Chiang Mai until someone told him about the 'other office'. According to him if you go to a different office and pay a 'processing/handling fee' of some sort, everything is expedited very quickly. TIT

Exactly. Constantly amazes me this fact flies straight over the many posters on this forum saying 'why can't they organise things better'. Becausssse, they've already organised things well enough to generously supplement their incomes. Who's going to stop them? Duh. And you think they're stupid ..

• 2 weeks later...