Phuket Airport Taxi-Meter Rip Off?

jonaz

So I got a metered taxi from the Taxi-Meter booth that is at the far right as you exit the terminal, expecting it to be cheaper than the usual 800 baht to Patong.

The meter started with the usual 50 baht surcharge and I had to pay 100 baht on top of the final meter rate.

Whilst we were driving I noticed that the meter was going up at an alarming rate. So I watched the meter over some km (and took a video). The meter was going up by 16 baht every km.

From the Phuket Gazette last year 'The new rates are are 50 baht for the first two kilometers, then 12 baht per kilometer for the next 15km, then 10 baht per kilometer thereafter.'

Also, I noticed that the taxi driver wasn't the grey haired guy in the license on the front window but a much younger guy with black hair and a ponytail. Was he even licensed to drive me? I don't know.

Anyway, after arriving at my hotel at Kalim beach the fare was 684 baht for 43.2km. Added 100 baht surcharge to that and the grand total was 784 baht.

Hardly a saving on the unmetered taxis at all. So average was 15.83 baht per km. If I take off the 50 baht surcharge it still averages 14.67 baht per km.

Have the prices changed or is this just the usual rip off I've come to expect in Thailand?

EDIT: Took the 50 baht off for the 1st 2km. The remaining 41.3 km were charged at an AVERAGE of 15.35 baht per km. Plus the 100 baht surcharge.

Edited by jonaz

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll post the form off that I got from the taxi rank anyway stating the cost of the journey and the distance. Not that it will do any good but if nobody reports instances like this then they can't do anything about it.

I'm not bothered about the price so much as it being unfair. If you just turn a blind eye to being ripped off because it's cheaper than somewhere else then you're not very clever in my opinion.

If I pay for a metered taxi I expect the meter to run at the proper rate, not whatever rate the taxi driver decides. Especially because I'm already paying a 150 baht surcharge anyway just to leave the airport! And the taxi driver gets this, not the airport.

Edited by jonaz

I'll post the form off that I got from the taxi rank anyway stating the cost of the journey and the distance. Not that it will do any good but if nobody reports instances like this then they can't do anything about it.

I'm not bothered about the price so much as it being unfair. If you just turn a blind eye to being ripped off because it's cheaper than somewhere else then you're not very clever in my opinion.

If I pay for a metered taxi I expect the meter to run at the proper rate, not whatever rate the taxi driver decides. Especially because I'm already paying a 150 baht surcharge anyway just to leave the airport! And the taxi driver gets this, not the airport.

The 50 Baht starting fare goes to the driver, but the 100 Baht airport charge goes to AOT.

The 50 Baht starting fare goes to the driver, but the 100 Baht airport charge goes to AOT.

I'm going to quote this directly from the public taxi ticket that I got from the Taxi-Meter booth at the airport. It's the receipt with the complaint form on the back. It says:

"TAXI-METER driversare allowed to ask passengers for a surcharge of 100 baht added to the fare in the meter. In this regard, Phuket International Airport is not involvedin accepting the surchargeof 100 baht on transport fares in any way."

Metered fare sound about correct. I don't think you were ripped off. It's the extra 100 airport charge that makes it expensive.

EDIT// I always thought the airport got the 100 baht.In the past I paid the meter taxi booth the 100 baht, nothing to do with the driver. Has it all changed ?

Metered fare sound about correct. I don't think you were ripped off. It's the extra 100 airport charge that makes it expensive.

EDIT// I always thought the airport got the 100 baht.In the past I paid the meter taxi booth the 100 baht, nothing to do with the driver. Has it all changed ?

Yes it must have changed.

The price is still higher than it should have been. If I remove the 150 baht and first 2 miles I'm left with 634 baht and 41.3 km. Divided the 634 by 41.3 and I get 15.35 baht per km on average for the 41.3 km when it should have been 12 baht for the 1st 15 and 10 for the rest.

So the meter should have read 473 baht plus 50 baht for the 1st 2km which equals 523 baht. Plus 100 surcharge and the journey should have been 623 baht. I paid 780. Scam.

Fare is about right.

Just surprised people take the time to calculate mathmatical equations to this extent , its a taxi ride !

You also forgot to add the waiting time as the meter ticks over in traffic.

People have been pissed off for years about taxi drivers in Phuket charging extortionate rates compared to the rest of Thailand.

We've finally got some action from the government which is good news for us and yet it's still ok for them to rip customers off because it's 'just a taxi ride'?

I give up!

AOT still gets the 100 Baht.

Sounds like the standard rate. I took a meter taxi to Karon a few months ago, expecting the rates to be those quoted in the local press but ended up with a 900 baht fare. Of course the "new" rates have never been published anywhere or if they have I've certainly not seen them.

Anyone managed to take a meter taxi anywhere other than the airport yet? Apparently they are available for ad hoc rides.

^^ managed grab taxi a few times now.

A few trips taken include ...

Thalang - Patong

Phuket Town - Rawai

Ao Makham - Thalang

Its a bit hit and miss and of course the fare always higher than the app quotes.

But at least its a taxi that turns up , and not having to scratch around to see if anyone knows a Thai who wants a couple of quid and just turns up in some random car / truck

Edited by The Big Mango

Only naive tourists go to Phuket. You can have a guided tour of Pattaya for 10 baht with a jet-ski ride thrown in.

I've lived in both Pattaya and Phuket and I'd rather live here in Phuket hands down. Each to their own.

If you live here, why are you complaining about the "fairness" of the price?

You know the "transport situation" here, as we all do.

The Thai Military will not even attempt to dismantle the transport mafia here.

All credit to you for speaking up, but, I would suggest, proper public transport on Phuket is now an impossibility.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is not to support them with any of your baht.

I usually wouldn't consider a taxi to be honest but I've just moved back to Phuket so I had a lot of luggage. I'd usually take the shared mini bus. I won't be using a taxi again any time soon either if I can help it.

I completely understand.

Transport is an essential service, and the mafia knows it. They control it with an iron fist, and charge what they want.

I think most people have no problem with their 900 baht taxi from, and back to the airport, on their holiday.

It's the frequently required daily transport, mainly the tuk-tuks, particularly along the coast road, that's has killed the western tourist market here.

They charge more than the cost of a meal and some drinks, and in many cases, more than a cheaper hotel / guest house per night, for a return trip, particularly at night.

They have pushed the market past its breaking point, hence, the package holiday Chinese, in their coach buses, now being the main tourists to Phuket.

I usually wouldn't consider a taxi to be honest but I've just moved back to Phuket so I had a lot of luggage. I'd usually take the shared mini bus. I won't be using a taxi again any time soon either if I can help it.

I completely understand.

Transport is an essential service, and the mafia knows it. They control it with an iron fist, and charge what they want.

I think most people have no problem with their 900 baht taxi from, and back to the airport, on their holiday.

It's the frequently required daily transport, mainly the tuk-tuks, particularly along the coast road, that's has killed the western tourist market here.

They charge more than the cost of a meal and some drinks, and in many cases, more than a cheaper hotel / guest house per night, for a return trip, particularly at night.

They have pushed the market past its breaking point, hence, the package holiday Chinese, in their coach buses, now being the main tourists to Phuket.

Many reasons why there are less western tourists now than in earlier years, but Tuktuk prices are not among them.

I completely understand.

Many reasons why there are less western tourists now than in earlier years, but Tuktuk prices are not among them.

In my opinion, Phuket's "transport issue" is the main reason for the rapidly declining western tourism market to Phuket.

Many of these tourist are not detouring Thailand, just Phuket.

I have spoken to many tourists that now holiday in Pattaya, over preference to Phuket. These people still come to Thailand, so it has nothing to do with exchange rates, flights, military coup, terrorist bombing etc etc - they all basically say the same, it's the transport scam here that they have had enough of.

Similar on samui but even more expensive. 600 baht for 25km. 200 km. for two km. Rampant, out of control criminal enterprise. More or less state sponsored. The state or locals could step in at any time and make it fair. They did a few years ago, after hundreds of complaints. They were forced to post meter plus 50 baht signs on their doors. They used the meters for about 48 hours. What have the "authorities" done? Nothing. That is what the Samui authorities always do. Nothing.

Edited by spidermike007

Similar on samui but even more expensive. 600 baht for 25km. 200 km. for two km. Rampant, out of control criminal enterprise. More or less state sponsored. The state or locals could step in at any time and make it fair. They did a few years ago, after hundreds of complaints. They were forced to post meter plus 50 baht signs on their doors. They used the meters for about 48 hours. What have the "authorities" done? Nothing. That is what the Samui authorities always do. Nothing.

"The state or locals could step in at any time and make it fair. They did a few years ago, after hundreds of complaints." - the Thai Military will not even "step in" on Phuket. That's how bad the transport is here.

The Thai Military was pretty much Phuket's last hope for transport - they failed to deliver, except for some beach encroachment clean-up.

So, some 15 months after the coup, you can see what their lack of intervention has had on the tourist industry here.

I completely understand.

In my opinion, Phuket's "transport issue" is the main reason for the rapidly declining western tourism market to Phuket.

Many of these tourist are not detouring Thailand, just Phuket.

I have spoken to many tourists that now holiday in Pattaya, over preference to Phuket. These people still come to Thailand, so it has nothing to do with exchange rates, flights, military coup, terrorist bombing etc etc - they all basically say the same, it's the transport scam here that they have had enough of.

Ah, that's why pattaya businesses are just as much complaining as the phuket, samui, and others, the Westerners have moved there.

Sorry, but you're totally wrong, western tourists have not moved to pattaya.

@ stevenl

Of course the whole western tourist market hasn't moved to Pattaya. Many have moved to Vietnam, certainly a lot of the Russians have, not that they are "western."

I am speaking of the many people I know that used to holiday on Phuket, but now holiday in Pattaya. Not to mention a few expats I know who have moved there.

When's the last time you were in Pattaya?

Edited by NamKangMan

@ stevenl

Of course the whole western tourist market hasn't moved to Pattaya. Many have moved to Vietnam, certainly a lot of the Russians have, not that they are "western."

I am speaking of the many people I know that used to holiday on Phuket, but now holiday in Pattaya. Not to mention a few expats I know who have moved there.

My last word on this: you're wrong. Pattaya is having the same problems as the whole of Thailand is with a lack of spending tourists, and neither have the Russians moved there.

@ stevenl

My last word on this: you're wrong. Pattaya is having the same problems as the whole of Thailand is with a lack of spending tourists, and neither have the Russians moved there.

"you're wrong. Pattaya is having the same problems as the whole of Thailand" - no, Pattaya has baht buses for transport, like the rest of Thailand. It's Phuket that doesn't.

Note, I said a lot of Russians have moved to Vietnam, not Pattaya. Vietnam being a cheap holiday option.

I recently spoke to a friend who now lives in Pattaya (ex-Phuket) He told me Pattaya is quiet, but not "dead." From my observations, Phuket is pretty much, "dead."

When's the last time you were Pattaya, or Vietnam, for that matter?

Phuket...yep thats sounds great and fair price in phuket for taxi. lucky man turn on meter. usually you can organise private taxi to take you for less maybe as low as 600 bht but organise before you arrive.. pm me and I will give you 2 guys that can do.

Cheaper in Pattaya and Bangkok

Glad you put a question mark on the title OP as I would say the answer is NO.

Throw a 60thb tip in there and you are still 850thb from the airport to Kamala, with current US$ exchange you did airport-Kamala for under 25$ US.

Some transportation skinflints on here will put up a stink, expect a Pattaya 10thb bus, but it's my opinion you did fine and I don't think that is an outrageous price, again, IMO.