Songthaew east moat to Promenada - advice

ByblosYuNaiSoi

To any who are familiar with songthaews from the Old City:

I need to get a cheap, direct songthaew to Promenada from the east moat - between Chang Moi and Thapae roads - in the early morning (it's "that time" again wink.png )

Where should I stand? Inner or outer road; nearer Chang Moi rd,; Amora hotel; or would it be worth it to go down to Wararot Market?

Thanks!

Catching a songthaew or tuk tuk to Prom early in the morning is never going to be "cheap". It doesnt really matter what side of the road you stand on. A friend with a motorcycle might be a good option if you don't want spends hundreds of baht?

If i was trying to get to Prom cheap this way might work. I have never tried it and whether it works at 05:00 i don't know? You want to take regular songthaew service that runs out of the city to San Kamphaeng. This will go out of the city past the railway station, cross the superhighway. A short distance after crossing the super highway there will be another big road junction. You get out here and make a right turn. Walk down this large road on the right hand side path,( heading south) for about 1km and the Prom is on the right side, your side as you are walking. Walking distance is about the same as one side of the moat around the old city. 15-30 baht? Use the free Prom shuttle to get back to the city. What time do the San Kamphaeng songthaews start? probably early but maybe not 04:00 05:00?

You're not going to be savaged by a pack of wild dogs at Thapae Gate at 5 am -- pushy lady boys, maybe, but not wild dogs.

Hubby goes out walking around the moat most mornings around 4:30 - 5 am and he reports that tuk-tuks do come by. He says the walk on the outer moat is safer from the standpoint avoiding dogs and lady boys than the footpath on the inner moat. The lady boys are a bigger problem than the dogs. At least with the dogs, you can bend over like you're picking up a rock to throw at them and they go away. The lady boys are a little harder to fool.

Edited by NancyL

You're not going to be savaged by a pack of wild dogs at Thapae Gate at 5 am -- pushy lady boys, maybe, but not wild dogs.

Hubby goes out walking around the moat most mornings around 4:30 - 5 am and he reports that tuk-tuks do come by. He says the walk on the outer moat is safer from the standpoint avoiding dogs and lady boys than the footpath on the inner moat. The lady boys are a bigger problem than the dogs. At least with the dogs, you can bend over like you're picking up a rock to throw at them and they go away. The lady boys are a little harder to fool.

I am not sure bending over near the lady boys at 05:00 in the dark of the night will scare them away. It could attract them?

Perhaps the OP can try this out if he feels threatened and report back?

Packs of dogs near Prom and along the road i mentioned. I have never seen any. Just keep walking and ignore any that you may come across.

Catching a songthaew or tuk tuk to Prom early in the morning is never going to be "cheap". It doesnt really matter what side of the road you stand on. A friend with a motorcycle might be a good option if you don't want spends hundreds of baht?

If i was trying to get to Prom cheap this way might work. I have never tried it and whether it works at 05:00 i don't know? You want to take regular songthaew service that runs out of the city to San Kamphaeng. This will go out of the city past the railway station, cross the superhighway. A short distance after crossing the super highway there will be another big road junction. You get out here and make a right turn. Walk down this large road on the right hand side path,( heading south) for about 1km and the Prom is on the right side, your side as you are walking. Walking distance is about the same as one side of the moat around the old city. 15-30 baht? Use the free Prom shuttle to get back to the city. What time do the San Kamphaeng songthaews start? probably early but maybe not 04:00 05:00?

Those would be the white songtaews...and it looks doable on a map. Where do they originate in the City?