Iflix-- Netflix alternative in Thailand

CWMcMurray

• 2 months later...

Well, you don't necessarily have to spend the big sum of 100 baht per month for the Iflix service.

I've been on their one month free trial lately, and have found plenty of things worth watching. Not the newest releases, but most of the various paid streaming services don't have the newest releases.

Tonight in my email, I got an email from Iflix offering a special promotion of three months FREE Iflix service to existing True Move H mobile customers. I don't think Iflix knows or has any reason to know I'm a True Move H customer, so I'm not sure just whom they're sending the promo email to.

But, basically, it's just saying to be connected to the Internet via your True Move H connection, and then go to the Iflix website or Iflix app and register for a new account (not use any existing Iflix account/ID you may already have). The Iflix email says their promotion with True Move H will continue through the end of April.

post-58284-0-73942800-1459449579_thumb.j

As for the overall service, I originally was trying to use it with a Chrome browser and had trouble with repeated stalling and stops in mid-stream. With my Chrome browser, I saw no setting available to adjust the streaming speed.

But then I switched to using either IE or Firefox, and for whatever reason, suddenly I was getting a stream speed setting available in the MS Silverlight interface with both browsers. Changed the stream speed setting to a lower level, and my stalling problem seems to have stopped.

Among the advantages of this service, IMHO, are 1) that a lot of their Western shows have available Thai subtitles available, which is a nice feature for spouses or GFs, and 2) although I haven't tested this myself, Iflix heavily promotes the ability to download their content onto mobile devices for off-line viewing (though that same download/offline capability doesn't appear to be available via a web browsing interface),

Well, you don't necessarily have to spend the big sum of 100 baht per month for the Iflix service.

I've been on their one month free trial lately, and have found plenty of things worth watching. Not the newest releases, but most of the various paid streaming services don't have the newest releases.

Tonight in my email, I got an email from Iflix offering a special promotion of three months FREE Iflix service to existing True Move H mobile customers. I don't think Iflix knows or has any reason to know I'm a True Move H customer, so I'm not sure just whom they're sending the promo email to.

But, basically, it's just saying to be connected to the Internet via your True Move H connection, and then go to the Iflix website or Iflix app and register for a new account (not use any existing Iflix account/ID you may already have). The Iflix email says their promotion with True Move H will continue through the end of April.

attachicon.gifPS0163.jpg

As for the overall service, I originally was trying to use it with a Chrome browser and had trouble with repeated stalling and stops in mid-stream. With my Chrome browser, I saw no setting available to adjust the streaming speed.

But then I switched to using either IE or Firefox, and for whatever reason, suddenly I was getting a stream speed setting available in the MS Silverlight interface with both browsers. Changed the stream speed setting to a lower level, and my stalling problem seems to have stopped.

Among the advantages of this service, IMHO, are 1) that a lot of their Western shows have available Thai subtitles available, which is a nice feature for spouses or GFs, and 2) although I haven't tested this myself, Iflix heavily promotes the ability to download their content onto mobile devices for off-line viewing (though that same download/offline capability doesn't appear to be available via a web browsing interface),

I wonder if True are kicking back to them for all the extra data plans they're going to sell? :P

I wonder if True are kicking back to them for all the extra data plans they're going to sell? tongue.png

Well, I got to the bottom of this supposed Iflix-True Move H promotion, and it's not what it appears to be on the surface.

Basically, it turns out, the promotion they're offering above ONLY works when you initially log into the Iflix account they give you using a True Move H data connection.

Once you've logged into the Iflix account under this promotion with True Move H data, you can then switch to house wifi and turn off the True Move H data on whatever kind of device you're using to view Iflix. But then later, if you close the app or program and then want to come back to it again later or next time, you'll once again have to authenticate to start using True Move H data.

The reason is, with this True Move H promotion, Iflix won't give you the normal email address and password combo their normal customers use to log into their system. They'll only give you a User ID that only will authenticate via True Move data. So if you try to sign into their system under this promotion in any other way, you can't.

Obviously, True Move H was/is thinking that people, once they use True Move H to log-in, will simply continue using True Move H data to stream the Iflix video content, which presumably in many cases would run up hefty data use charges on people's 3/4G mobile accounts.

Unfortunately, none of that was made clear in their advertising promotion. And, it took a couple of emails back and forth with Iflix support before they finally admitted that, under the True Move H promotion, you have to log-into Iflix with True Move H. In my case, hassling with starting with True Move H and then switching to house wifi every time I might want to use the service just isn't worth the hassle. So I have the promotion, but I'm not using it.

No promotion necessary to get free Iflix for a whole year ... All it takes are ... 12 email addresses. Take anyone (if you hate someone use his) ... There is no check on the email. But they start using confirmation of the phone number. Don't know if you use duplicate phone numbers.

No promotion necessary to get free Iflix for a whole year ... All it takes are ... 12 email addresses. Take anyone (if you hate someone use his) ... There is no check on the email. But they start using confirmation of the phone number. Don't know if you use duplicate phone numbers.

Seems like a lot of work when a year membership is only 1,000 thb

Why not just do the right thing and pay 1,000 thb after the first 1 month membership if you like it

If everyone tried to game the system they would possibly end up closing down

So pay the 1,000 thb ... Enjoy the service and help ensure it is a success in Thailand and continues for a long time for the benefit of all

... But that's just my 2 cents...

100 baht per month is a pretty insignificant fee for the Iflix service, and the content range they offer isn't that bad. And technically, their service seems to function pretty well.

For anyone who wants a cheaper, local version of content-limited Thai Netflix, I think it's a pretty good deal.

I just didn't like them kind of mis-representing their True Move H promotion.

• 2 weeks later...

100 baht per month is a pretty insignificant fee for the Iflix service, and the content range they offer isn't that bad. And technically, their service seems to function pretty well.

For anyone who wants a cheaper, local version of content-limited Thai Netflix, I think it's a pretty good deal.

Comments appreciated.

For me, HD or highest quality picture is important. Is Iflix streamed or D/L in HD format?

I am familiar with Netflix and find the quality is acceptable, but not HD. In the case of Netflix it seems the file itself is not HD standard, so it does not matter how fast the pipe or the screen you view - you cannot see an HD image that is not HD to begin with.

Is Iflix good quality image? Hulu?

Anyone?

Bueller?

:)

The highest quality file you can download for a serie like 2broke girls is 135 MB. You can do the math. Not comparable with Netflix.

Netflix has a lot of true hd content in either 720p or 1080p. My TV has an Info overlay which shows exactly the stream quality. Of course in the evening it goes down to 480p with an occasional 720p. But outside this period most of the recent content is hd with 5.1 surround sound. Iflix has low quality with only 2ch sound. But then again it's only 100 baht against 350 baht for Netflix.

But why don't you get a free Iflix trial and see for yourself?

Comments appreciated.

For me, HD or highest quality picture is important. Is Iflix streamed or D/L in HD format?

I am familiar with Netflix and find the quality is acceptable, but not HD. In the case of Netflix it seems the file itself is not HD standard, so it does not matter how fast the pipe or the screen you view - you cannot see an HD image that is not HD to begin with.

Anyone?

Bueller?

smile.png

Most Netflix content is 1080P with Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack - except for their own productions which are 4K UHD, and some older content which can be as low as 4:3 SD (e.g. documentaries and old movies).

If you're not seeing Netflix in 1080P, with bluray quality, either your internet is just too slow, or you're using a PC or generic Android box to view it - in which case the resolution is artificially limited to 720P. In order to see 1080P/4K from Netflix, you'll need to use the app in your smart TV itself, or one of their "approved" boxes like Roku3/4, FireTV, AppleTV, Chromecast etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix-compatible_devices

Comments appreciated.

Anyone?

Bueller?

smile.png

Most Netflix content is 1080P with Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack - except for their own productions which are 4K UHD, and some older content which can be as low as 4:3 SD (e.g. documentaries and old movies).

If you're not seeing Netflix in 1080P, with bluray quality, either your internet is just too slow, or you're using a PC or generic Android box to view it - in which case the resolution is artificially limited to 720P. In order to see 1080P/4K from Netflix, you'll need to use the app in your smart TV itself, or one of their "approved" boxes like Roku3/4, FireTV, AppleTV, Chromecast etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Netflix-compatible_devices

Thanks for very informative reply!

Very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been using this for a month and paid for a 1 year sub @ 1000 THB. 1,000 is basically 'free'. And I may just cancel/suspend Netflix since a lot of what I want is here. (I'll tune back into Netflix every year or so for a month to catch up on exclusives).

A lot of content with English and Thai subtitles, so works great if you have someone in the house who is not fluent in English.

Has a small amount of Thai content (may improve over time, who knows).

As for quality: Well, when I'm streaming stuff from the 40s or even 90s, I'm not going to be up and down over quality. And if I'm gung ho on quality I would just buy the movie on Blu-Ray (streaming with lag out here hurts high def quality anyways).

But at 1k/year, it's really hard to justify NOT having it.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this about a year ago also started a thread about it, I tried it agin the other day but they want to send a code to my phone to sign up but I never receive the code, anyone else had this problem?

It's great because it had Thai subs

I've also herd if you keep changing your email you don't have to pay

I had no problems streaming from my phone to my TV last time

But I would only recommend it for the thai subs if you want to watch TV with a Thai, otherwise you are better of using cartoon HD

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I tried this about a year ago also started a thread about it, I tried it agin the other day but they want to send a code to my phone to sign up but I never receive the code, anyone else had this problem?

But I would only recommend it for the thai subs if you want to watch TV with a Thai, otherwise you are better of using cartoon HD

They added the phone verification to prevent people from just using a different email address every month is my guess.

I got the SMS on DTAC without any issues.

They added the phone verification to prevent people from just using a different email address every month is my guess.

I got the SMS on DTAC without any issues.

I might have to pay then as I've got a new GF and like my Thai her English isn't that good, and I am already bored of thai comedy shows, and need the Thai subs. Dose anyone know a good website or app or kodi addon which has a lot of TV in English with Thai subs?

Prohdbox is another option.

Its an iptv service, aimed at thais.

Theres an android app, or can watch in a browser.

It has lots of live TV, all the thai channels, foreign news, bbc, cnn, sky, RT etc, all the True movie channels (with thai subs)

For sport, it has all the CTH channels (however, with thai commentary - which i dont mind so much) though recently they've added the skysports and BTsport channels.

For VOD there's lots of movies and series, the majority having soundtack and thai subs, though some do have dubbed thai (horrible!)

The interface isn't as good as ilikeHD, but its functional.

To be honest though, live UK tv doesnt interest me, as the time difference means I'm watching daytime TV like Jeremy Kyle..!

250 baht per month, for everything - no stupid packages to select

The thai subs make it good to watch with the missus, and the quality, 720 mostly, is watchable on a 55".

For anything I cant find I use Exodus on Kodi.

I have a netflix account, but havent used on for 2 months - will cancel soon I think.

Some screen shots:

post-62077-0-48987500-1463376861_thumb.j

post-62077-0-80208700-1463376879_thumb.j

I too had this very annoying problem until I realized it was the way I entered the number. Do NOT include the country code and do NOT include the first '0' if its a mobile number. Once I tried that, worked a peach.

I too had this very annoying problem until I realized it was the way I entered the number. Do NOT include the country code and do NOT include the first '0' if its a mobile number. Once I tried that, worked a peach.

I will try agian but I think I tried every way

• 10 months later...

You can't compare Iflix with Netflix. Iflix has substandard 576p, Netflix upto 4K. It's true, Iflix is cheap at 1,000 baht per year but it simply doesn't compete with Netflix. 4k at 15mbs is amazing with now HDR supported.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't compare Iflix to Netflix, as they have mostly differing content

Given this, I have both

I don't have any problem with the quality for Iflix.. only thing that sucks is that no Apple TV app

So need to run it off my phone and then use AirPlay to get it to the TV

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived