SURVEY: Is it going to be more difficult for foreigners to stay in Thailand due to the bombings?

Scott

SURVEY: Will it be more difficult for foreigns to stay in Thailand  

350 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are people from some countries and cultures I would only allow for medical purposes. Thailand does not need them and they cause far too much trouble for the little they spend here.

yeah but it won't help if they come with a fake passport. And you can't stop someone because he looks arab.

(Half South America, Spain, Greece etc. look a bit similar for the uneducated eye). Pakistan, Bangladesh can camouflage as Indian. Indonesia is in Asean.

It is difficult....Beside that this guy wasn't an Arab he was a Chinese.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any measure that helps keep some of the detritus out would be good. wink.png

Given the numbers howling on this thread and others like it, seems visa runners make up a large proportion of TV's membership wink.png

If you cut the Visa Runner, Semi legal teacher, Illegal Scuba Dive Masters and it will be very quite here + the average age will go from 60 to 75 (all the retired will remain here).....

In general, no. But some nationalities will be more scrutinized.

That would be the logic thing to do.....so it won't happen.....

My guess is they will make it difficult for everyone, for 70 year old Hans Sexpat from Germany and for 20 year old female exchange student from France.

And after 3 month everything is forgotten and business as usual.

As mentioned earlier, there will be officers/locations who may enforce current regulations more aggressively. Rules will not change, but longer lines and requests for additional supporting evidence may increase.

On a positive note, multi-entry tourist visas may become more available. I also see that the 90 day reporting (online) is a snap, and has made life so much easier.

If there were to be any recommendations on visa issues, Immigration should focus more on short term visa holders. Expats that lived here for several years..and who are getting up in age, should be excluded from excessive scrutiny. I think we are not generally under suspicion of illegal activities, for the most part. Five years of observing proper reporting and completing extensions without incidents should be considered a "probationary period". I would recommend a permanent residency card issued..after that point, with only annual reporting.

I agree with most of your post except for the following "I also see that the 90 day reporting (online) is a snap, and has made life so much easier." and no it is not a snap for most of us and has not made our life easier. Once you get a new passport or have entered prior to 2013 your SOL. I just did my visa extension last week and you would think my new passport number and my 2010 arrival date would update my on file stats so I can report online but it does not. They should have tested this system thoroughly before putting it online. They should also have made the online queue system bullet proof before putting it online as well. As the 10 slots were mostly filled by 12.05 am it was obvious that more queue slots would be needed but closing of the queue system was really a big step backward. It de-streamlined the process and put us back in the horse and buggy area of visa extension reporting. I have heard a rumor from a good source that we are stuck with the Promenada office in Chiang Mai contrary to all the Immigration posturing and grandstanding promises of a new structure at the airport location. My source tells me "no funding from Bangkok" Guess all our "donations" here are a one way street. Guess the general coffers are running low. My source tells me that Immigration has "signed" a long term lease with the plaza management. Again rumors but from a reliable source so lets see what the days ahead bring.

Online reporting was a total farce when i tried it, crappy website and only working partially, freezing up etc I asked them at Prachuap Immigration and they said sometimes work sometimes doesnt, whoever designed it needs shooting

My guess is they will make it difficult for everyone, for 70 year old Hans Sexpat from Germany and for 20 year old female exchange student from France.

70 year old Hans will be fine as retirement extensions should be unaffected.

70 year old Hans will be fine as retirement extensions should be unaffected.

yes if he want to be here all year. But I guess some stay only 2-4 month (like in winter)

I think there is going to be closer scrutiny of all classes of people staying in Thailand.

Governments use so called terrorist attacks as an excuse to crack down on lots of other things. This precedent was undoubtedly set by the US after 9/11. I doubt Thailand will be any different. Asean border controls theoretically are lifted on January 1st 2016. There is not much talk here, of what that will really mean. If implemented one can expect an influx of people from other Asean countries who will seek employment in lower paid jobs. Lower income foreigners will therefore be less attractive to Thai authorities. Many of these do not pay tax and do not contribute greatly to the Thai economy. They will be encouraged to leave by more stringent visa enforcement and other restrictions. That's how I read it, but hope I am wrong!

Interestingly, apart from the UK, Europe's borders were open but I now read that Germany is manning border crossing points because of the Syrian migration situation. Will this be a trend for Thailand too?

For those who would like Immigration to favour foreigners who have lived in Thailand for 5 years, think again.

Thailand does not need and maybe doesn't want foreigners to live in their country.

Interestingly, apart from the UK, Europe's borders were open but I now read that Germany is manning border crossing points because of the Syrian migration situation. Will this be a trend for Thailand too?

For those who would like Immigration to favour foreigners who have lived in Thailand for 5 years, think again.

Thailand does not need and maybe doesn't want foreigners to live in their country.

When did Thailand have open borders? 1700's?

Since whenever you had money to bribe your way in! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may become more difficult for those who rely on cheating and corruption to stay in Thailand.

We have already seen a decrease in non educated Ed visas and life time "tourist" visa runs...

That is not a bad thing, is it?

Still beleive in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy do you?

It's easier than ever for fraudsters and criminals to stay in thailand. As long as the immigration keep accepting bribes then criminals will always have a much easier time than the law abiding.

BTW, criminals don't use visa runs, doing so would just be like a flashing light to the authorities of their presence. So eliminating the visa runs will have no effect on crime. Like I said before, the only way to stop foriegn criminals entering thailand is to stop all foriegners from entering the country. There is no other way.

I think there is going to be closer scrutiny of all classes of people staying in Thailand.

I believe there has already been a closer scrutiny of visas. Here in Chiang Mai they have been paying visits to more homes were the Visa is a marriage one. I think they will start to look closer at the monthly income for the permission to stay as well as the original retirement.also start checking in on the 800,000 baht bank deposits.

I do not believe we have any thing to fear if we are following the rules. following the rules can make it more difficult for some who ignore some of them. I have heard that there are people who never do a 90 day silly as it is and at permission to stay time they just pay a 2,000 baht fine. Heard a rumor that fine had gone up to 4,000 baht. Like I said it is just a rumor.

I believe there has already been a closer scrutiny of visas. Here in Chiang Mai they have been paying visits to more homes were the Visa is a marriage one. I think they will start to look closer at the monthly income for the permission to stay as well as the original retirement.also start checking in on the 800,000 baht bank deposits.

I do not believe we have any thing to fear if we are following the rules. following the rules can make it more difficult for some who ignore some of them. I have heard that there are people who never do a 90 day silly as it is and at permission to stay time they just pay a 2,000 baht fine. Heard a rumor that fine had gone up to 4,000 baht. Like I said it is just a rumor.

I think the present measures will pale into insignificance with a government that is increasingly anti-western.

8th December 1941................ but shhhhh dont mention it

If there is (going to be) closer scrutiny of Immigration rules it will be because so many people have broken or tried to dodge the rules in the past, people on both sides of the fence, some foreigners and some Immigration staff. I personally think that most legitimate and long term visa holders who have played by the rules in the past have nothing to fear from any tightening and to compare against Germany, Jews and the Third Reich is warped thinking.

As mentioned earlier, there will be officers/locations who may enforce current regulations more aggressively. Rules will not change, but longer lines and requests for additional supporting evidence may increase.

On a positive note, multi-entry tourist visas may become more available. I also see that the 90 day reporting (online) is a snap, and has made life so much easier.

If there were to be any recommendations on visa issues, Immigration should focus more on short term visa holders. Expats that lived here for several years..and who are getting up in age, should be excluded from excessive scrutiny. I think we are not generally under suspicion of illegal activities, for the most part. Five years of observing proper reporting and completing extensions without incidents should be considered a "probationary period". I would recommend a permanent residency card issued..after that point, with only annual reporting.

I agree with most of your post except for the following "I also see that the 90 day reporting (online) is a snap, and has made life so much easier." and no it is not a snap for most of us and has not made our life easier. Once you get a new passport or have entered prior to 2013 your SOL. I just did my visa extension last week and you would think my new passport number and my 2010 arrival date would update my on file stats so I can report online but it does not. They should have tested this system thoroughly before putting it online. They should also have made the online queue system bullet proof before putting it online as well. As the 10 slots were mostly filled by 12.05 am it was obvious that more queue slots would be needed but closing of the queue system was really a big step backward. It de-streamlined the process and put us back in the horse and buggy area of visa extension reporting. I have heard a rumor from a good source that we are stuck with the Promenada office in Chiang Mai contrary to all the Immigration posturing and grandstanding promises of a new structure at the airport location. My source tells me "no funding from Bangkok" Guess all our "donations" here are a one way street. Guess the general coffers are running low. My source tells me that Immigration has "signed" a long term lease with the plaza management. Again rumors but from a reliable source so lets see what the days ahead bring.

Ok..

I will try to correct my post to read... for myself, 90 day online reporting has been a snap. For others, not necessarily true. I lucked out...and do hope I can continue, from now on, to do my reporting online.

This case shows how corrupt the police is, my western friends are scared for that so sure won't come here for holiday.

Ditto ... 4 friends should come and visit us around x-mas - we will meet them in Vietnam instead ... More safe, cheaper and better with everything

How much you get pay to promo Vietnam? I look for part time job. Maybe I could do?

Do you think the recent bombing suspect's bribing of immigration will make it harder for foreigners to stay in Thailand?

I think that what will make it harder for foreigners to WANT to stay in Thailand is the fear that if they make a remark that is seen to be critical of the government/junta in any way, they could be jailed!

And by the way, the headline and the accompanying question are very misleading - the question should be whether it will be more difficult for foreigners to stay in Thailand due to the clamping down on corruption at Immigration.

It may become more difficult for those who rely on cheating and corruption to stay in Thailand.

We have already seen a decrease in non educated Ed visas and life time "tourist" visa runs...

That is not a bad thing, is it?

Travellers who just bought a multiple entry visa from a Thai embassy in Europe didn't do anything wrong!

Some of them want to travel around in Asia, see Phnom Penh and Ankor Wat, maybe even go to Vietnam and then fly home from BKK.

Those travellers have a problem now and maybe even booked hotelrooms or anything in advance.

It's not fair to blame the bombcase on them, but they sure will have different feelings about the Thai government now.

I have a non-O visa now so i don't care. But for 15 years i also used multiple tourist visa's and didn't see anything wrong about it. I never overstayed, never bribed anybody and always flew out and back every 2 months. I did one borderrun in a bus from bkk but would rather pay 2000 baht extra and fly and do taxfree shopping.

Governments use so called terrorist attacks as an excuse to crack down on lots of other things. This precedent was undoubtedly set by the US after 9/11. I doubt Thailand will be any different. Asean border controls theoretically are lifted on January 1st 2016. There is not much talk here, of what that will really mean. If implemented one can expect an influx of people from other Asean countries who will seek employment in lower paid jobs. Lower income foreigners will therefore be less attractive to Thai authorities. Many of these do not pay tax and do not contribute greatly to the Thai economy. They will be encouraged to leave by more stringent visa enforcement and other restrictions. That's how I read it, but hope I am wrong!
paying vat is contributing.

Was going to write an essay on it. People abusing the system know they are and are the loudest moaners. If you can do it fine by me, I probably would. If it is stopped who are you to complain? Topic is regular on here. Problem is people who think the visa exempt allows them to stay for ever with a monthly boarder run. Get over it. You know that is not the reason for visa exempt entries and so do Thai immigration. Sorry to those who need this method.