Are these wild boar?

happydays

Yes, definitely boar. Used to get them in my garden most mornings back in Europe. Those ones look quite young, though maybe they are all smaller here.

I'm surprised that they let the photographer and that dog get so close though. The ones we used to get would run off as soon as they knew anyone was nearby and you had to stand very still to avoid startling them.

No but I saw wild boar on the menu the other day and thought it would be normal pork, whish I had tried it now

Boar is much tastier than pork, though you really need to cook it slowly by stewing it or making pate out of it to get the best result.

it was 40b with rice and something else which was why I had my doubts

Yes these are wild pigs (moo pah in Thai). Some farmers around here keep them although they don't grow as big as your normal domestic pig. Until about 5 years ago I had a few. They grow quite tame although they have fearful tusks. You have to watch them as if they get out of their sty they will dig up and eat just about anything that's growing. They are good eating, pork with a gamey flavour. The males are inedible unless they have been castrated when very young.

Yes these are wild pigs (moo pah in Thai). Some farmers around here keep them although they don't grow as big as your normal domestic pig. Until about 5 years ago I had a few. They grow quite tame although they have fearful tusks. You have to watch them as if they get out of their sty they will dig up and eat just about anything that's growing. They are good eating, pork with a gamey flavour. The males are inedible unless they have been castrated when very young.

Friend of us have larger one than on the picture, with black hair....They walk where they want, but mostly keep close to the house. She told they eat everything and watch her if she puts something into the land they dig it out and eat it........She "beats" them with a bamboo stick (she tries but they run away....so no harm done) and they learn where they are not allowed to eat. (So they wait till noone sees them).

Yes very delicious licklips.gif Unfortunately she sells the new born babies which I don't like to eat.....

If you're referring to the extreme gaminess for the inedibility of males...the moment you kill it, take your knife and slice off the testicals AND the sweat glands on the inside of the front legs, down near the trotter. This stops the extreme male game smell tainting the meat.

The ones in the photo look too tame to be truly "wild"....but they do look like wild boar stock.

My experience is you're lucky to get within 30-40 metres if you're not actively stalking them.

I think there's a nomenclature confusion going on here...."boar" is male. Wild pigs are wild pigs (and different breed, but still "pigs" or "hog"), and some of them are boars, thus wild boar.

The ones in the photo look too tame to be truly "wild"....but they do look like wild boar stock.

My experience is you're lucky to get within 30-40 metres if you're not actively stalking them.

I think there's a nomenclature confusion going on here...."boar" is male. Wild pigs are wild pigs (and different breed, but still "pigs" or "hog"), and some of them are boars, thus wild boar.

You're right that boar is used to refer to male pigs (as opposed to sow for females) but wild boar is actually a species (sus scrofa) & so male & female - sorry if this is boring! (pun intended)

Geting off-topic here so I apologise, but in Happy Days post he was walking his dog. It's a lovely dog but can I ask about dogs and snakes? We are bringing our cocker spaniel over soon and she loves to run - is there a real risk of snakes attacking our dog in Thailand?

You're right that boar is used to refer to male pigs (as opposed to sow for females) but wild boar is actually a species (sus scrofa) & so male & female - sorry if this is boring! (pun intended)

Agreed - the normal title for wild pigs - is Wild BOAR - the name also is used to refer to the male of many animals including badger and domesticated pigs

Edited by cumgranosalum

Geting off-topic here so I apologise, but in Happy Days post he was walking his dog. It's a lovely dog but can I ask about dogs and snakes? We are bringing our cocker spaniel over soon and she loves to run - is there a real risk of snakes attacking our dog in Thailand?

The land where we walk is quite overgrown & undoubtably has snakes as I've seen 2 in my garden. We stick to paths although the dog does wander off when she spots something interesting. There's a stray around here that has lost a leg due to a snake bite apparently so yes, there is a danger but the chances are pretty small I'd have thought.