Foreign accountant wanted?

Hello all,

After almost 2 years of "doing not much" in Thailand I finally decided to actively search for a job here, starting today. I am looking for advices and hints here. I know that in my situation it won't be that easy.

So basically I obtained a Bachelor degree in 2008 in accounting, and I had a few work experiences in unrelated fields, most recents being call center jobs.

My native language is French and I am fluent in English, I know a bit of Thai obviously but nothing I could use in a professional setting.

While browsing job sites I realised that for entry level accountant jobs, positions are not open to foreigners, and there is opportunities for higher positions that require 5-20 years experiences. Should I keep looking in this field anyway? What kind of company might need my services? If a post states that the position if open to Thai national only, but I feel like I am the perfect fit (I have found quite a few), should I apply anyway or do I waste my time?

Also can I exploit the French language fluency somehow? Call center jobs in French language?

I am obviously aware of the Labour laws and understand why companies are way more likely to hire a Thai rather than me, but I don't want to wait for my hair to turn grey before I can call Thailand home forever, so I will do my best to get the job!

Any tips and hints will be much appreciated, and if you feel like I could be useful for your company, don't hesitate to PM me for my resume!

An accountant is a prohibited occupation for a foreigner in Thailand. The exception is where an international auditor is required infrequently and from time to time.

Senior positions will be hired as managers or consultants. There is very little scope for junior positions.

Using your French language fluency is a possibility, but be aware that there are Thai/French nationals who were raised in a dual or tri language household - they can communicate in Thai and they are also Thai citizens. A lot of the work you are looking for they could also be applying for.

It is difficult. This is why you tend to see some foreigners earning not so much while others earn quite a lot. There is very little in the middle.

Edited by blackcab

There are a few call centers in Chiang Mai that frequently advertise for French natives, they actually advertise on Thaivisa...I will add though a few guys I know applied and never even as much received a confirmation email so not sure how professional they are if they cant even do that.

There are a few call centers in Chiang Mai that frequently advertise for French natives, they actually advertise on Thaivisa...I will add though a few guys I know applied and never even as much received a confirmation email so not sure how professional they are if they cant even do that.

Dodgy financial advisors one suspects ?

Dodgy financial advisors one suspects ?

No, outsource and SEO

I think I know which company you are mentioning, I will apply and see.

Do you guys know some people under 30 that are employed in Bangkok? I am curious what they are doing. I know a few but they have very specific qualifications.

Also, I wonder if my chances will drastically improve if I suddenly become fluent in Thai? I am definitly able to spend 8 hours/day learning if I know that it will open many opportunities for interesting jobs.

Do you guys know some people under 30 that are employed in Bangkok? I am curious what they are doing. I know a few but they have very specific qualifications.

Also, I wonder if my chances will drastically improve if I suddenly become fluent in Thai? I am definitly able to spend 8 hours/day learning if I know that it will open many opportunities for interesting jobs.

One suspects most under 30 will be teaching English

To be honest fluent Thai aint going to help you unless you have the "technical background & experience" they are looking for, your being hired on that basis not your Thai skills, but with that being said learn Thai aint going to do you any harm either

Dont think the whole world will open up in Thailand just because you speak Thai now, if you dont have the job skills or experience they are looking for, you still aint getting a look in

I am fluent in reading, writing and spoken thai. But it doesn't help you a bit in job market if you are a foreigner. On the other hand, if you are thai national, there are a lot of very good paying jobs available for you even if you arent' fluent in thai itself. See the irony ! lol