Interested in buying an entry Road/Hybrid Bike

nix

Good Day!

I am interested in buying a Road/Hybrid Bike. I plan to use it and travel in long distance, or city to city. I tried looking and I found Trek 1 Series 1.1 which seems nice.

However, I am very new in this kind of hobby, I need your kind suggestions on which bike and what type of bike should I purchase.

Also, what are the things that I need to consider? (accessory, tyres, etc)

Price range would be 15,000 – 22,000 Baht.

Thanks!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nix,

You're not alone in your quest; many have been along the same 'road'. I'm sure if you delve into the archives here you'll find some good suggestions and info.

In anticipation of replies, I guess most will probably side on either road specific or hybrid. It really depends on your intended use, and only you really know the road conditions and distances you're planning. A hybrid will be more comfortable and forgiving whereas the committed geo and ride of a road bike will allow the miles [km] to pass more rapidly. As always, it depends,......

The good news is that anything from one of the big companies is going to be good. The Trek you mention is within the target window at that your pricepoint. My only suggestion is that the 'sweetspot' for value may be a bit further up the food chain - Claris [as fitted to that Trek] is right at the bottom entry level of Shimano kit. If you can stretch to a Tiagra or bag something similar, you'll probably find the whole adventure more rewarding.

Good hunting!

I like road bikes that are comfortable going off road and down bumpy dirt tracks as well as long distances on road. They used to be called tourers or cyclocross bikes but "adventure" or "gravel" bikes seems to be the modern marketing term. What i have seen in Thailand that you might want to google are....

Trek 520, Surly Long Haul Trucker and Cross Check, Cinelli Bootleg Hobo. You can buy the latest Giant Adventure bikes. I don't know the exact model names but they are high performance road bikes with 30mm tyres, very comfy and i wouldn't mind one myself. Merida, Trek, Specialized all have their versions of these kind of adventure bikes.

Araya do nice touring models and can be bought locally.

I like road bikes that are comfortable going off road and down bumpy dirt tracks as well as long distances on road. They used to be called tourers or cyclocross bikes but "adventure" or "gravel" bikes seems to be the modern marketing term. What i have seen in Thailand that you might want to google are....

Trek 520, Surly Long Haul Trucker and Cross Check, Cinelli Bootleg Hobo. You can buy the latest Giant Adventure bikes. I don't know the exact model names but they are high performance road bikes with 30mm tyres, very comfy and i wouldn't mind one myself. Merida, Trek, Specialized all have their versions of these kind of adventure bikes.

Araya do nice touring models and can be bought locally.

That's what I'm looking for, as well; something with a bit more volume in the tyres that will cope with worn road surfaces and spilt gravel.

Based on what was available locally I ended up with a mountain bike which I'm fairly happy with, but I could do with a little bit more gear at the top end to keep up with the traffic and the blokes on road bikes, and I reckon the front suspension costs me a lot of weight and energy.

Cyclocross still exists as its own category, Gravel/Adventure is the new one that seems to meet most people's requirements. Giant has the Anyroad, but the cheapest model is around 30k ish, looks like a mountain bike with rigid forks, drop bars, large volume tyres and a more forgiving geometry than a pure cyclocross bike, making it better for long days in the saddle.

Cannondale has an interesting take on this segment with the Slate, which comes with a Lefty fork giving 30mm travel, and 27.5" wheels. To me, this sounds like it could be the perfect go anywhere bike for Thailand, though I don't know its cost locally, probably way above the OPs original budget.

Most people I know that have bought a hybrid regret it after a few months, and look to sell and move to a road or mountain bike.

A lot of good suggestions above, I'd also look at Merida, generally you get the next range up in components as you would from Trek/Giant/Specialized at the same or less money, and they're very good (Merida/Specialized are for all intents and purposes, the same company these days and both are manufactured in the same facility to the same standards)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Day!

You guys are awesome. I got a lot of very useful informations and knew things to consider.

As of now, Merida seems also a good choice. I think that I will go either Merida or Trek.

Upon researching, going for Hybrid is more ideal considering the streets of Bangkok.

However, what exactly are the differences of a Hybrid and a Road? Also, how to know if the bike you're looking at is a Hybrid?

Any specific suggestion for a Road/Hybrid bike and where to buy to? Could consider to pay more if its really worth it.

Thanks!

Hybrid bikes have flat bars like a mountain bike, Road bikes have drop bars like a race bike.

The advantage of a road bike is the multiple ways you can grip the bars on long trips, with hybrids generally there is only one way to hold, unless you install some bar end grips to give you an additional position.

That said, hybrid riding position is a bit more upright.

My own view is a hybrid is too much of a compromise, it does nothing well as you don't really get any of the benefits offered by a pure road bike or mountain bike.

You haven't really said what type of riding you plan to do, so it is a bit hard to advise what would be most suited to what you want to do, but if you're going to be spending long days in the saddle, you should really look at a road bike.

Hybrid bikes have flat bars like a mountain bike, Road bikes have drop bars like a race bike.

The advantage of a road bike is the multiple ways you can grip the bars on long trips, with hybrids generally there is only one way to hold, unless you install some bar end grips to give you an additional position.

That said, hybrid riding position is a bit more upright.

My own view is a hybrid is too much of a compromise, it does nothing well as you don't really get any of the benefits offered by a pure road bike or mountain bike.

You haven't really said what type of riding you plan to do, so it is a bit hard to advise what would be most suited to what you want to do, but if you're going to be spending long days in the saddle, you should really look at a road bike.

Thanks for the explanation! I Understand it now.

Sorry I forgot to mention what type of riding I will be doing.

What I plan to do is, do 15KM - 20KM at least 3 times a week, will increase the distance overtime. I plan a longer ride during weekend ( probably till I exhaust myself ).

I guess, Road Bike would be better to purchase?

Any specific type/brand/model?

Thanks!

To be honest, the best advice is to try each one that you like out, and go with the one that you feel most comfortable on. Most shops will let you test ride around the car park, so you can get a feel for the bike before you purchase, the most important thing is getting one that fits you right and is comfortable.

Couple of things to look for if going for a road bike, try to find one with a carbon fork, it will be more forgiving over rough surfaces, and your hands will thank you for it, try to get at least 25mm tyres on it, you can run lower pressure than the usual 23mm tyres and it will be more comfortable and they also have a lower rolling resistance, so you'll be faster ;-)

As a novice your chances of finding a bike that you will be happy with a year from now, if you keep riding, is very slim in my experience and opinion. I learned a lot by upgrading one piece of the bike at a time as I developed my fitness and interest.

I eventually switched from mountain bike to road bike as my interests changed. I used to be happy with 15km - 20km but now it is more like 55km to 100km. Like me your needs may change with time so just take the advice given and get out there on the road and enjoy yourself while staying fit.
I have had great luck with Trek and think I get more bang for my buck with Trek but it is also the main brand at my local bike shop and I prefer to go with the flow. Have fun with your new bike and let us know what you get.

As a novice your chances of finding a bike that you will be happy with a year from now, if you keep riding, is very slim in my experience and opinion. I learned a lot by upgrading one piece of the bike at a time as I developed my fitness and interest.

I eventually switched from mountain bike to road bike as my interests changed. I used to be happy with 15km - 20km but now it is more like 55km to 100km. Like me your needs may change with time so just take the advice given and get out there on the road and enjoy yourself while staying fit.
I have had great luck with Trek and think I get more bang for my buck with Trek but it is also the main brand at my local bike shop and I prefer to go with the flow. Have fun with your new bike and let us know what you get.

I think it depends a little on your expectations. My friends are sick of this story, but I'll repeat it for the rest of you all...

A couple of years back Hari Raya came round (as it does every year) and I didn't fancy a five day weekend with nothing to do but drink, so I walked down to my local bike shop. They were quite busy, so I browsed for a while, looking at the price tags. The last bike I'd bought had been in Taiwan, with as detailed a spec as my Chinese would cope with: Bicycle. Very cheap. So I reckoned I'd be out of pocket by two or three times that - maybe 10,000 baht. Anyway, you can imagine me, browsing this bike shop, wincing and sucking my teeth with every bike I looked at.

"Can I help you, sir"

"No, it seems 'I've come to the wrong shop..." and I walked out.

Anyway, it was a long walk home, and a five-day weekend, so I went back in.

"What's the cheapest bike you;ve got?"

And I walked out with a Mondraker Ventura Pro for about 30,000 baht. It's a mountain bike, so it copes pretty well with the pot-holes and the tree roots, and I can ride on the construction roads and the building sites. As you say, VF, I'd like something more roadey, but it's done me well this last couple of years, and it's by far the most sophisticated bike I've ever ridden. The indexed thumb shifters were like Christmas at Ramadan. I couldn't believe that with disc brakes, you can stop in wet weather.

I reckon err on the side of robust comfort rather than speed and distance. If you are happy riding 20 km a week and want to go further and faster, you'll upgrade, but if you find your bike uncomfortable and fragile, you won't ride it at all.

SC

Surely, In due time, I will increase my distance that I'd bike.

Last question is that, what is the main difference for Mountain Bike and Road Bike? Pros and Cons?

Which would be best in the streets of Thailand?

Surely, In due time, I will increase my distance that I'd bike.

Last question is that, what is the main difference for Mountain Bike and Road Bike? Pros and Cons?

I ride both, but I prefer a road bike, I know others that prefer a MTB. It really is about your own preference. Go to a few bike shops, try out different bikes and see which one you think you will get on with.

The key thing is whatever bike you get, you have to want to ride it, otherwise it will just languish in the corner gathering dust.

I like my hybrid. I have put on bar ends to give a better hand position when trying to go flat out. Most of my riding is in the city, with poor roads and many stops and starts. I prefer the more upright position. Ideally I would have one of each, a mountain,a road and a hybrid. I could then use the most suitable one for each particular ride. Unfortunately, I can't justify the expense. smile.png

It did note that for the same level hybrid, Giant had higher level specs than Specialized. That was when I bought mine about 3 years ago. I assume this has not changed.

I'll visit my local bike shop then, and try which bike feels the most comfortable.

I might go for a Road Bike either Trek or Merida, but depends after trying some other bikes.

Thanks guys! you are very helpful on this thread.

I have them all, Trek 1.1 road, Merida Matts 40d MTB, Giant Cross 3200 Hybrid, Trek 4300 MTB

Road bike is not suitable for touring ........ uncomfortable over long distances, no suspension, tires thin and hard, and needs smooth road surfaces.

Trek 1.1 totally unsuitable. (I have a Trek 1.1)

And if you're a big boy, forget buying anything in CM, they only have small sizes, but try to flog you an unsuitably small bike with the seat up.

If the size is wrong, you won't like cycling it, no power, knees under your chin.

CM shops cater to small Asians only. If you're over 5' 10", forget it. What they try to sell you won't fit.

Size depends on bike style (measured from center of pedal crank to top of frame tube), look at the manufacturers web site for their sizing (usually based on inside leg measurement).

Also note local prices are high.

I purchased a Trek 1.1 earlier this month, 17,500 in CM (Jacky) ......... 14,500 in Bangkok ( SaengThong plus 700bht next day EMS).

Not to mention BK had the right size and CM didn't.

Same for almost every make.

Not to mention most of the bike shops in CM don't want to deal with foreigners.

LA bikes will ignore you

Cherry same

Jacky will pretend you aren't in the shop.

Forget about trying any bike, they won't let you sit on them, don't even have pedals fitted.

I had a much better service mail order, the guy actually spoke English and appeared to want my business.

I like my hybrid. I have put on bar ends to give a better hand position when trying to go flat out. Most of my riding is in the city, with poor roads and many stops and starts. I prefer the more upright position. Ideally I would have one of each, a mountain,a road and a hybrid. I could then use the most suitable one for each particular ride. Unfortunately, I can't justify the expense. smile.png

It did note that for the same level hybrid, Giant had higher level specs than Specialized. That was when I bought mine about 3 years ago. I assume this has not changed.

Giant slips in many cheap components, Specialized have a higher quality but cost 30% more.

(it's the stuff like bearings, brakes, pedals and cables they skimp on, the cheap ones go rusty and fail very quickly)

Velocity in Huay Keow road opposite Maya, the only shop in CM with bigger road bikes they actually had 58cm and 56cm frames in stock.

MTB (13Kg) is good for bumpy roads, unpaved roads and rough tracks BUT a lot slower and harder to pedal, top sustainable speed on flat 25Km/hr.

Road bike (9Kg) is good only for quality smooth roads, top sustainable speed on flat 40Km/hr. and will BREAK if you hit a significant bump.

Hybrid (10Kg) can take rough roads, unpaved roads and relatively smooth tracks, top speed on flat 30Km/hr.

I ride them all up the road from the Zoo to Doi Suthep Temple (MTB 65mins, Hybrid 58mins, Road Bike 50 mins)

Just to give you some idea of the relative speeds.

(Sorry, for some reason assumed you were in CM, but you're probably not.)

MTB (13Kg) is good for bumpy roads, unpaved roads and rough tracks BUT a lot slower and harder to pedal, top sustainable speed on flat 25Km/hr.

Road bike (9Kg) is good only for quality smooth roads, top sustainable speed on flat 40Km/hr. and will BREAK if you hit a significant bump.

Hybrid (10Kg) can take rough roads, unpaved roads and relatively smooth tracks, top speed on flat 30Km/hr.

I ride them all up the road from the Zoo to Doi Suthep Temple (MTB 65mins, Hybrid 58mins, Road Bike 50 mins)

Just to give you some idea of the relative speeds.

(Sorry, for some reason assumed you were in CM, but you're probably not.)

I'm sorry but you are speaking rubbish, a road bike will not break if you hit a significant bump, that would not also have a detrimental impact to an mtb or hybrid.

I have them all, Trek 1.1 road, Merida Matts 40d MTB, Giant Cross 3200 Hybrid, Trek 4300 MTB

Road bike is not suitable for touring ........ uncomfortable over long distances, no suspension, tires thin and hard, and needs smooth road surfaces.

Trek 1.1 totally unsuitable. (I have a Trek 1.1)

And if you're a big boy, forget buying anything in CM, they only have small sizes, but try to flog you an unsuitably small bike with the seat up.

If the size is wrong, you won't like cycling it, no power, knees under your chin.

CM shops cater to small Asians only. If you're over 5' 10", forget it. What they try to sell you won't fit.

Size depends on bike style (measured from center of pedal crank to top of frame tube), look at the manufacturers web site for their sizing (usually based on inside leg measurement).

Also note local prices are high.

I purchased a Trek 1.1 earlier this month, 17,500 in CM (Jacky) ......... 14,500 in Bangkok ( SaengThong plus 700bht next day EMS).

Not to mention BK had the right size and CM didn't.

Same for almost every make.

Not to mention most of the bike shops in CM don't want to deal with foreigners.

LA bikes will ignore you

Cherry same

Jacky will pretend you aren't in the shop.

Forget about trying any bike, they won't let you sit on them, don't even have pedals fitted.

I had a much better service mail order, the guy actually spoke English and appeared to want my business.

Can you mention which shop in BKK did you purchase?

Maybe a website and email?

Would want to check it out and compare prices with my local bike shop. Thanks

You also need someone's Thai ID card photo to buy at that price.

Something to do with 'Bike for Mom' I guess.

Difference between 2015 and 2016 Spec ...... colour scheme, no white in 2016.

I'm sorry but you are speaking rubbish, a road bike will not break if you hit a significant bump, that would not also have a detrimental impact to an mtb or hybrid.

My MTBs would have jumped that rock without me noticing.

Road bike does somersault, buckled front tire and 4 broken spokes.

(Although the tire looks crooked after the bump with the other bike)

So I believe that if I choose to buy it via EMS, I will receive the bike with no damage? I also cannot read Thai, how do I do the transaction?

Anyway, I will ask a Thai friend later to check it out when I get home.

Thanks

So I believe that if I choose to buy it via EMS, I will receive the bike with no damage? I also cannot read Thai, how do I do the transaction?

Thanks

phone them up, they speak English.

They send you an SMS giving the total price and their account details.

You transfer the money via an ATM transaction to their Bank Account.

Then email a copy of the ATM slip, Thai ID card and your address to the email address in the SMS they sent you.

Mine arrived in perfect condition, mid-day, next day, EMS is insured.

You will need some Hex keys and a 15mm spanner for final assembly, fairly easy to do.

(bolt on pedals, seat, front wheel, and handlebars ..... about 30 minutes)

My MTBs would have jumped that rock without me noticing.

Road bike does somersault and buckled front tire.

The frame is fine, it isn't broken, only the front wheel. I myself have bent the rim on an MTB in Sai Yok just riding normally on the road.

The guy in that video was completely out of control after half wheeling the guy in front and catching is back wheel, do the same on your mtb and likely the result will be the same, when he hit the gravel he wasn't in an position to try and avoid the gravel he was just a passenger.

To take it the other way watch this :-) even worse he is riding a Giant!!!! :-p

http://www.zapiks.fr/dirt-merchant-a-line-with-cx.html

Thanks

Seriously, if this is your first bike, you shouldn't buy without trying. As MaeJoMTB said earlier, you need to get a bike the right size and that will be virtually impossible without sitting on it first.

To be honest, the best advice is to try each one that you like out, and go with the one that you feel most comfortable on. Most shops will let you test ride around the car park, so you can get a feel for the bike before you purchase, the most important thing is getting one that fits you right and is comfortable.

Couple of things to look for if going for a road bike, try to find one with a carbon fork, it will be more forgiving over rough surfaces, and your hands will thank you for it, try to get at least 25mm tyres on it, you can run lower pressure than the usual 23mm tyres and it will be more comfortable and they also have a lower rolling resistance, so you'll be faster ;-)

Instead of a carbon fork, I would look for steel fork or bike. Cheaper and more forgiving than carbon and less likely to get problems.

But of course more heavy....

Instead of a carbon fork, I would look for steel fork or bike. Cheaper and more forgiving than carbon and less likely to get problems.

But of course more heavy....

Not if it's a Colnago Master, but then you're paying 100k just for the frame and fork ;-)

Thanks

Seriously, if this is your first bike, you shouldn't buy without trying. As MaeJoMTB said earlier, you need to get a bike the right size and that will be virtually impossible without sitting on it first.

And it had cheap bontrager parts. Really EVERYTHING labeled Bontrager on my bike makes problems.

Hubs leak oil and turn difficult.

All screws from Bontrager rust, even the bike didn't get wet ever. I wouldn't buy Trek with Bontrager again.

Archived