Interested in buying an entry Road/Hybrid Bike

nix

Speed, well yeah it depends on your device, number of satellites in view and whether it supports something such as an ant+ wheel speed sensor algorithm or not. I don't know of any that have a differential GPS function at a cycling-user level. A bit like altitude derivation/sensing; the specific devices are ahead of the phone apps.

On the high-rise [multi storey carpark] gps position wander: This can be affected by a number of factors. Some of which can be the phone based positioning algorithms inability to triangulate in the vertcal [z] axis. Others related to satellite unlock/blanking.

Perhaps any, more navigation savvy, members could comment, but I believe the altitude derivation is similarly challenged, before Strava etc meddle with it.

Meantime, I'm happy to believe the parameters from my rides, within reasonsmile.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for those videos moonoi. I have seen videos like that before but what happens when the forks are 6 years old and have been baked under the tropical sun? My forks have an alloy crown with carbon legs glued onto the crown. This is the bit that may fail? Have I had a good innings with these forks. Best to get a fresh bike or forks? If the forks were steel I wouldn't worry about UV damage or glue deteriorating.

Well the glue used to bond the fibers together is supposed to be UV resistant, so I personally wouldn't worry about that, I would look at how many kilometers you've done and the type of riding, along with how many times I'd had an fall/crash in that time as the main factor as to whether it needs replacing. But if there are no visible signs of cracking and it isn't making strange noises, it should actually be fine.

But if you're still concerned about it, perhaps consider upgrading the fork to one with a composite steerer rather than alloy, would be cheaper than a new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright guys.

I checked with SaengThong already and the guy seem really nice.

I'll be going to their shop later this afternoon. Upon browsing the range of bikes that they have, I am really looking forward to try Merida Scultura 300.

If it feels comfortable, I'd definitely go for that one. Thanks for all your help!

Do you think that there's much difference?

I know the GPS estimates are a bit grainey.

I think it would be worth avoiding the front suspension if you want to go quickly on the road.

I've burst the little switch that lets me lock the suspension out, and I reckon I suffer a bit from wasted energy riding with the suspension unlocked. Also, the riding position is less aggressive because the handlebars are higher, with the forks not compressed.

SC

Depends on the quality of gps fix. Can get some way out readings which are obviously wrong, so why not some believable high readings. Look at the gps plot - sometimes you're way off the road etc.

I lock the front suspension on roads, except on descents where I know there are pot holes. Very comfortable on long rides. I do a mix of offroad & on road, so it means I only need 1 bike.

I think the gps speed is reasonably accurate. It depends on the smoothing algorithm for the calculations; I'm more sceptical about the height estimates. But you do get some bogus results in the covered car parks, with the GPS data dotting about all over the place. Coming out of the office I normally ride through the multi-storey to the exit before I start my tracking.

I used to always have the sspension locked down, but it tended to "creep" out again.

I'm also tempted to go for drop handle bars on my next bike, just for the variety of hand positions - I get slightly sore thumbs with the flat bars. Or maybe try to get something with a bit more backward curve on it...

SC

I have a speedo on each of my newer bikes and a GPS.

The GPS is just plain wrong, speed lags way behind your real speed, distance up hills is way out.

From CM Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep, GPS measures 10.2Km, both speedos read 11.1Km

On the flat GPS and speedos are the same. But speed measurement is still laggy on the GPS.

You can buy a Sunding speedo for 250bht on Lazada, works perfectly, but don't get it wet!

http://www.lazada.co.th/sunding-491828.html

Front suspension

You only need to lock it when going up steep hills, and only if you have soft suspension.

My GPS gives me a lot spikes in speed. When I go saw 25, it would say I went between 20 and 30, accelerating, braking all the time

Alright guys.

I'll be going to their shop later this afternoon. Upon browsing the range of bikes that they have, I am really looking forward to try Merida Scultura 300.

If it feels comfortable, I'd definitely go for that one. Thanks for all your help!

If it is the one in the pic as well, nice pro team (Lampre Merida) replica version as well.

Alright guys.

Only in small sizes?

Speed, well yeah it depends on your device, number of satellites in view and whether it supports something such as an ant+ wheel speed sensor algorithm or not. I don't know of any that have a differential GPS function at a cycling-user level. A bit like altitude derivation/sensing; the specific devices are ahead of the phone apps.

On the high-rise [multi storey carpark] gps position wander: This can be affected by a number of factors. Some of which can be the phone based positioning algorithms inability to triangulate in the vertcal [z] axis. Others related to satellite unlock/blanking.

Perhaps any, more navigation savvy, members could comment, but I believe the altitude derivation is similarly challenged, before Strava etc meddle with it.

Meantime, I'm happy to believe the parameters from my rides, within reasonsmile.png

altitudes are the greatest weakness of gps readings.

And then strava really messes with them. Doi Suthep temple climb is about 625m (which most garmin will show). Strava app will credit you about 1000m climb. And about 170m climb on the way down thumbsup.gif

altitudes are the greatest weakness of gps readings.

And then strava really messes with them. Doi Suthep temple climb is about 625m (which most garmin will show). Strava app will credit you about 1000m climb. And about 170m climb on the way down thumbsup.gif

And if you look at the burned calories it get even worse...I guess some apps are written for fatties who want to read how huge amount of weight they lost in the 15min bicycle ride.

Streetcowboy:"

I think the gps speed is reasonably accurate. It depends on the smoothing algorithm for the calculations; I'm more sceptical about the height estimates. But you do get some bogus results in the covered car parks, with the GPS data dotting about all over the place. Coming out of the office I normally ride through the multi-storey to the exit before I start my tracking.

I used to always have the sspension locked down, but it tended to "creep" out again.

I'm also tempted to go for drop handle bars on my next bike, just for the variety of hand positions - I get slightly sore thumbs with the flat bars. Or maybe try to get something with a bit more backward curve on it...

SC"

The GPS is just plain wrong, speed lags way behind your real speed, distance up hills is way out.

On the flat GPS and speedos are the same. But speed measurement is still laggy on the GPS.

You can buy a Sunding speedo for 250bht on Lazada, works perfectly, but don't get it wet!

Front suspension

You only need to lock it when going up steep hills, and only if you have soft suspension.

My GPS gives me a lot spikes in speed. When I go saw 25, it would say I went between 20 and 30, accelerating, braking all the time

On Strava there's some people that forget to turn their GPS off when they drive home. The cycling is distinguished by a very peaky profile, the driving is much smoother. Also a lot faster. I find my speed is very heavily dependent on gradient, even on relatively flat roads.

The apps generally credit all the ups and all the downs. I don't have any roads around me flat enough to look at the effects of error in the gps estimate, but a friend in Pattaya achieves much flatter rides than me using strava or runtastic, and achieves virtually zero elevation gain or loss riding across a dam road, so I have faith in their estimates.

SC

Streetcowboy:"

SC"

Front suspension

On Strava there's some people that forget to turn their GPS off when they drive home. The cycling is distinguished by a very peaky profile, the driving is much smoother. Also a lot faster. I find my speed is very heavily dependent on gradient, even on relatively flat roads.

The apps generally credit all the ups and all the downs. I don't have any roads around me flat enough to look at the effects of error in the gps estimate, but a friend in Pattaya achieves much flatter rides than me using strava or runtastic, and achieves virtually zero elevation gain or loss riding across a dam road, so I have faith in their estimates.

SC

I used a different app...can't recall the name "cycledroid??" but installed Strava already and will give it a try.

I have a normal speed-o-meter and know that I go relative stable in speed and most area is flat. Also most of the time I try to get used to high rpm cadence again. So I do my 105 rpm and if I don't change the gear the speed remains the same.

I also installed runtastic. So soon I'll know.

I didn't try them before because someone told me they work only online, but it seems to be untrue.

I used a different app...can't recall the name "cycledroid??" but installed Strava already and will give it a try.

I have a normal speed-o-meter and know that I go relative stable in speed and most area is flat. Also most of the time I try to get used to high rpm cadence again. So I do my 105 rpm and if I don't change the gear the speed remains the same.

I didn't try them before because someone told me they work only online, but it seems to be untrue.

I have Runtastic installed on my phone. It keeps a copy of the runs on the phone, and uploads them to the web site whenever I'm connected. I don't need to have the Mobile Data turned on to track the ride, but if it is, then it can be watched live on the web site.

I download the gps data from Runtastic to upload it to the Strava website. Interestingly enough, the two sites give slightly different statistics (speed, elevation etc) from the same gps file. But fairly close.

The two sites each have their own pros and cons. I don't have Strava installed on my phone.

SC

I've managed over 70kph on parts of the Doi Suthep ride, & that's going up! But, I try not to boast about it giggle.gif

That's slow ........

attachicon.gifuphill MTB.jpg

...........on my MTB

I sometimes get the same wheeling my bike through the underground car park, I think - I can't actually see where the max. allegedly occurred..

The graphs are smoothed, and the erroneous points don't appear, and the averages over each kilometre look OK.

My gps data estimates agree with my friend's speedo results to within less than 5% for average speed and distance, and for maximum speed (obvious errors aside), the difference could be genuine - the results agee to within 10%.

The calorie estimate does seem to take far more account of speed than of elevation, which differs from my opinion of how much work I've done.

SC

I've managed over 70kph on parts of the Doi Suthep ride, & that's going up! But, I try not to boast about it giggle.gif

That's slow ........

...........on my MTB

I sometimes get the same wheeling my bike through the underground car park, I think - I can't actually see where the max. allegedly occurred..

The graphs are smoothed, and the erroneous points don't appear, and the averages over each kilometre look OK.

My gps data estimates agree with my friend's speedo results to within less than 5% for average speed and distance, and for maximum speed (obvious errors aside), the difference could be genuine - the results agee to within 10%.

The calorie estimate does seem to take far more account of speed than of elevation, which differs from my opinion of how much work I've done.

SC

If you aren't using a HRM, the calories burned will just be an estimate, and not likely to be accurate.

I have Runtastic installed on my phone. It keeps a copy of the runs on the phone, and uploads them to the web site whenever I'm connected. I don't need to have the Mobile Data turned on to track the ride, but if it is, then it can be watched live on the web site.

I download the gps data from Runtastic to upload it to the Strava website. Interestingly enough, the two sites give slightly different statistics (speed, elevation etc) from the same gps file. But fairly close.

The two sites each have their own pros and cons. I don't have Strava installed on my phone.

SC

uploading it on a website is no option for me sad.png

You may ride up Doi Suthep with 70 kph, but I can download with my phone on mobile Data with 3.8 TB/s to my laptop.

So in the time you ride up Doi Suthep at 70 kph, I can make a backup of the complete internet with maybe even the same phone....

That's slow ........

...........on my MTB

SC

If you aren't using a HRM, the calories burned will just be an estimate, and not likely to be accurate.

yes an estimate with -50/+200 % failure margin....

SC

It's OK - I don't think you can be done for drink-driving on the basis of your GPS cycling records...

The main event early next month - Le Tour de Sid's, probably the biggest cycling event in Damansara that weekend

SC

That's slow ........

...........on my MTB

SC

Since I don't calorie-count and I'm not on a diet, the actual number is not very important, but I had hoped that it would be a good indicator of how hard I was working. Unfortunately, because the calorie count calculation favours flat fast rides over steep rides, I don't find it helpful at all.

SC

SC

It's OK - I don't think you can be done for drink-driving on the basis of your GPS cycling records...

The main event early next month - Le Tour de Sid's, probably the biggest cycling event in Damansara that weekend

SC

What!!! It doesn't monitor my blood alcohol level? No sensor for that? Well if I need all the street, bring 80 Watt and have a hear rate from 160 than something seems wrong burp.gif

No I don't like to give up my privacy.....having a company own my training profile. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned on that, but I surely don't upload my training records.

Mong Bicycle shop in CM,

Just went there after Cherry Bikes didn't have a 8 speed 11-32 cassette for my new Trek 1.1 road bike.

Best bicycle shop experience in CM I've had.

Happy to deal with foreigners, speaks good English, had the parts, did the job there and then, about 1 hours work.

Fitted the new cassette, sorted out a bearings problem I hadn't noticed (this is a week old bike), trued up the rear wheel (this is a new bike).

Replaced the brake pads that hardly worked (this is a new bike), and adjusted the gear shifters.

650bht for cassette, 900bht for new brake pads and fittings, 50bht labour.

So not that expensive.

It'll be my first place to call for any future work.

Hopefully with the new cassette I'll be able to cycle up that last 250m to Wat Doi Suthep ........ instead of walking.

(Ready to break the 50 minute barrier, from the Zoo to the Temple now)

Archived