Thai court upholds death sentence of man who raped and murdered young girl on train

webfact

In reply to PaPiPuPePo (!) and mcfish :-

"but if you go back to the threads on this forum after this murder and the alcohol ban you can read dozens of desperate and fuming posts by expats (presumably) who railed against the horror--the horror I tell you!!--of them not being able to drink alcohol on trains any more"

Thats what you want to hear but your not getting it. Its not the banning of the alcohol thats creating a storm but its the logic behind the Ban thats upsetting people. If Thailand trains just decided to ban alcohol without the silly knee jerk reaction then so be it! Just imagine if Thai airways banned alcohol because a steward killed some one ?

" its the logic behind the Ban thats upsetting people."

99% correct! Insert "lack of" before the word "logic" and you get the cigar!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The article and thread are indeed about the killer and victim, and as I have already said, it was an atrocious crime, so I certainly don't think that the alcohol ban is the most barbarous part of the whole affair, and you are totally wrong to think so.

Also, I am perfectly capable of going a day or even a week or two without alcohol, but why should I have to? The point I am making is that because of the rail companies negligence in employing someone like the killer, they try to make amends by depriving ordinary passengers of their right to have a drink on what is a long, tedious journey, and just another example of Thai "officialdom's" knee jerk reactions, or "closing the barn door after the horse has bolted".

And by the way, just in case you are in any doubt, I am indeed an expat, (what's that got to do with it?) and without ranting or raving about how brutal his punishment should be, the world will be a better place without him.

Your WHOLE original post was about the ban on drinking effected after this murder, and how stupid that was and how unpleasant it made your train trips. So, I'm not "totally wrong," you're just back-pedalling or forgot what you wrote in your first post. It's right above so you can check it again and see that you merely whined about not getting your bottle on the train (and followed up with whines about cockroaches--so fly, pantywaist! :-)). I stand by my original comments, minus the presumption you're a daily drinker.

I probably shouldn't have extrapolated to your drinking habits, but if you go back to the threads on this forum after this murder and the alcohol ban you can read dozens of desperate and fuming posts by expats (presumably) who railed against the horror--the horror I tell you!!--of them not being able to drink alcohol on trains any more. Maybe you had post of your own amongst them. But considering the constant and sometimes heavy drinking that expats and tourists engage in in Thailand, my guess, even if inaccurate, had some basis.

As a later post says - you just don't get it do you? My "WHOLE" (Your use of capitals - not mine) post included, (for the third time!) a reference to the fact that an unvetted employee committed an atrocious crime (What part of "atrocious crime" do you not understand?)

And as you say, you shouldn't have "extrapolated" (referred?) to my drinking habits. Neither I or my doctor don't have a problem with it - why should you? You obviously don't like expats and tourists who drink, but at the risk of going off topic,we (expats and tourists) contribute a lot of money towards the Thai economy, and a lot of that income is generated by the purchase of alcohol, so my advice to you is to become a little bit more tolerant of other people and get a life, or become a Muslim (If you're not one already!)

Your first sentence: "And after he's been executed, can we please allow drinking alcohol for passengers on the trains again, please?"

The point of this sentence: stop the alcohol ban. This argument of yours goes to: No, they just have a blanket ban of alcohol on all on all trains for staff and passengers alike - ridiculous!

The rest of your post is about the discomforts of travelling on the train without alocohol to sooth your nerves.

So yes your WHOLE post was about the drinking ban, not the murder. Oh, okay, minus five words at the beginning.

Thanks for wasting my time pointing out TWICE what anyone with 3rd grade reading skills can notice on their own.

What you write after “you obviously” is pure speculation on your part and it’s not accurate (surprise!).

The fact is a lot of people are in denial about their drinking, why don’t you try dispute that salient point instead of hypothecising about me based on speculation and putting words in my mouth.

But the point of my argument, which I made clear more than once, is that I found and find the highjacking of these threads about the murder by falang getting hysterical about the banning of alcohol in poor taste, to put it mildly.

That’s all I have to say about this and I won’t engage you in further debate since you seem to have severe limitations in both your ability to read and to reason beyond black-and-white simplifications.

The article and thread are indeed about the killer and victim, and as I have already said, it was an atrocious crime, so I certainly don't think that the alcohol ban is the most barbarous part of the whole affair, and you are totally wrong to think so.

Also, I am perfectly capable of going a day or even a week or two without alcohol, but why should I have to? The point I am making is that because of the rail companies negligence in employing someone like the killer, they try to make amends by depriving ordinary passengers of their right to have a drink on what is a long, tedious journey, and just another example of Thai "officialdom's" knee jerk reactions, or "closing the barn door after the horse has bolted".

And by the way, just in case you are in any doubt, I am indeed an expat, (what's that got to do with it?) and without ranting or raving about how brutal his punishment should be, the world will be a better place without him.

Your WHOLE original post was about the ban on drinking effected after this murder, and how stupid that was and how unpleasant it made your train trips. So, I'm not "totally wrong," you're just back-pedalling or forgot what you wrote in your first post. It's right above so you can check it again and see that you merely whined about not getting your bottle on the train (and followed up with whines about cockroaches--so fly, pantywaist! :-)). I stand by my original comments, minus the presumption you're a daily drinker.

I probably shouldn't have extrapolated to your drinking habits, but if you go back to the threads on this forum after this murder and the alcohol ban you can read dozens of desperate and fuming posts by expats (presumably) who railed against the horror--the horror I tell you!!--of them not being able to drink alcohol on trains any more. Maybe you had post of your own amongst them. But considering the constant and sometimes heavy drinking that expats and tourists engage in in Thailand, my guess, even if inaccurate, had some basis.

As a later post says - you just don't get it do you? My "WHOLE" (Your use of capitals - not mine) post included, (for the third time!) a reference to the fact that an unvetted employee committed an atrocious crime (What part of "atrocious crime" do you not understand?)

And as you say, you shouldn't have "extrapolated" (referred?) to my drinking habits. Neither I or my doctor don't have a problem with it - why should you? You obviously don't like expats and tourists who drink, but at the risk of going off topic,we (expats and tourists) contribute a lot of money towards the Thai economy, and a lot of that income is generated by the purchase of alcohol, so my advice to you is to become a little bit more tolerant of other people and get a life, or become a Muslim (If you're not one already!)

Your first sentence: "And after he's been executed, can we please allow drinking alcohol for passengers on the trains again, please?"

The point of this sentence: stop the alcohol ban. This argument of yours goes to: No, they just have a blanket ban of alcohol on all on all trains for staff and passengers alike - ridiculous!

The rest of your post is about the discomforts of travelling on the train without alocohol to sooth your nerves.

So yes your WHOLE post was about the drinking ban, not the murder. Oh, okay, minus five words at the beginning.

Thanks for wasting my time pointing out TWICE what anyone with 3rd grade reading skills can notice on their own.

What you write after “you obviously” is pure speculation on your part and it’s not accurate (surprise!).

The fact is a lot of people are in denial about their drinking, why don’t you try dispute that salient point instead of hypothecising about me based on speculation and putting words in my mouth.

But the point of my argument, which I made clear more than once, is that I found and find the highjacking of these threads about the murder by falang getting hysterical about the banning of alcohol in poor taste, to put it mildly.

That’s all I have to say about this and I won’t engage you in further debate since you seem to have severe limitations in both your ability to read and to reason beyond black-and-white simplifications.

Well thank goodness for that - you are obviously having to resort to personal insults now, in spite of the fact that the only thing that I have disagreed with you about is the fact that you don't like ex pats/tourists that drink:-

"the constant and sometimes heavy drinking that expats and tourists engage in in Thailand"

you can read dozens of desperate and fuming posts by expats (presumably) who railed against the horror--the horror I tell you!!--of them not being able to drink alcohol on trains any more.

"falang getting hysterical about the banning of alcohol"

"since you seem to have severe limitations in both your ability to read and to reason beyond black-and-white simplifications." (Pot and kettle spring to mind!)

In closing, let me just say that I can understand why you are so appalled by this tragic event, as I (believe it or not!) and many other people are. However, but your obsessional dislike of expats/tourists who drink shows that, as another poster said you STILL don't get it - that my point, (and many others, including locals, non ex pats, and non -drinkers agree with me) that the illogical decision to ban alcohol on trains because one of their own employees committed this horrible crime was the wrong one - a knee jerk reaction, "closing the barn door ............" Oh, never mind - mfr_closed1.gif