Thai Immigration launches 'new' crackdown on visa runners

webfact

so, why are people getting refused at the borders who are simply 'activating' the 2nd part of their 60 days tourist visa ?????

They are not - they have a valid visa.

What are you talkiing about? and why are fellow people agreeing (liking) what you have said?

YESTERDAY MORNING, this was reported: "also not allowing people to depart and return (out-in border hop) to activate second- or multiple-entry visas of any class."

So, if people are getting refused with VALID visas, How is anyone safe to leave thailand?

Link to yetsredays article (in case you didnt read it):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855734-bomber-blame-game-sees-thailand-immigration-abruptly-change-visa-rules/?utm_source=LINE&utm_medium=LINEutm_campaign

Have another read about 'reportedly'.

The fact is that valid visa holders are not affected (and I have evidence of that).

Go on, be bold and exit and see what happens.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is this latest trend so hard to understand? The misguided clowns that were involved in the bombing of Erawan Shrine in BKK entered and exited through land borders. The resultant condition is that they will try to make those borders less penetrable by forcing people to get Visas that require more scrutiny to obtain.

Uncle Bob (defender or clarity)

What category of visitor does visa runs?

Why do they do it?

Other options available?

It appears risky.

Any advantages?

Being here 13+ years on a retirement visa, I have no idea.

I think it's about intent and what options and knowledge are available and also how lazy a person can become in Thailand. I came to Thailand 14 years ago thinking I would stay maybe a year. Well, it's 14 years latter and while I have had Non O Visas for 13 of those years, there was one year that I was on the 30 day thing. It was not ideal, and while I don't recommend it, sometimes people do find themselves in that situation.

b

Why do they do it?

Other options available?

It appears risky.

Any advantages?

I think it's about intent and what options and knowledge are available and also how lazy a person can become in Thailand. I came to Thailand 14 years ago thinking I would stay maybe a year. Well, it's 14 years latter and while I have had Non O Visas for 13 of those years, there was one year that I was on the 30 day thing. It was not ideal, and while I don't recommend it, sometimes people do find themselves in that situation.

b

So people end up in this situation by default - no a deliberate choice?

I would be looking for more certainty (if possible).

Retirement visa seems to provide far greater protection.

Update

Just got this by email from a visa run company.

All border check point with Thai-Cambodia will stamp only People with
valid visa. No OUT/IN for any nationality.
Kanchanaburi still refuse to accept travelers even with valid visa.

But Thai-Laos border it is still "Business as usual".

I think this time they will enforce it at least up to 1st October,
never mind the economic damage they cause.

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

I guess many Thais would have been delighted with such opportunity. Unfortunately for them they can only go to the UK with a visa obtained prior to travel - and the process is neither easy nor cheap. Pray that the Thai government goes not reciprocate and cancels visa exemption :)

Update

Just got this by email from a visa run company.

All border check point with Thai-Cambodia will stamp only People with

valid visa. No OUT/IN for any nationality.

Kanchanaburi still refuse to accept travelers even with valid visa.

But Thai-Laos border it is still "Business as usual".

I think this time they will enforce it at least up to 1st October,

never mind the economic damage they cause.

What about Mae sai Ubon ; have some news ? i need to make 30 day in november

If its gets rid of the dodgy foreigners i am all for it. Good perhaps thousands will hide elsewhere.

They will just stay in Thailand ,under the radar ,and without a visa .Some have been doing it for years .

Unfortunately, the really dodgy foreigners are here on the proper visas.

Always have been, always will be.............................wink.png

Money always talks.

I wish to disclose my ignorance.

If you are not a tourist, for what reasons would one need to do visa runs?

There are numerous visas available for long stay. If you do not qualify, you are not welcome!

Enlightenment sought.

You have certainly done that, disclosed your ignorance I mean, your words, not mine. Who are you to say who should be welcome or not welcome in Thailand?

A lot of people don't want to have a lot of money in a Thai bank, and are happy to do visa runs. Why should they not be welcome in Thailand? They are still

contributing to the economy.

For the same reason that Mexicans aren't welcomed in the US.

Why do they do it?

Other options available?

It appears risky.

Any advantages?

b

So people end up in this situation by default - no a deliberate choice?

I would be looking for more certainty (if possible).

Retirement visa seems to provide far greater protection.

You make a strong argument. Sure, it's by choice but there were times that I chose to buy a house or condo and it left me with not enough in the bank for the retirement or marriage Visa. It's about the timing. Also, lots of people here just enjoying the Thai world- and with that comes the commensurate amount of goofing off and missing opportunities and deadlines.

b

I wish to disclose my ignorance.

If you are not a tourist, for what reasons would one need to do visa runs?

There are numerous visas available for long stay. If you do not qualify, you are not welcome!

Enlightenment sought.

You have certainly done that, disclosed your ignorance I mean, your words, not mine. Who are you to say who should be welcome or not welcome in Thailand?

A lot of people don't want to have a lot of money in a Thai bank, and are happy to do visa runs. Why should they not be welcome in Thailand? They are still

contributing to the economy.

For the same reason that Mexicans aren't welcomed in the US.

Not being an American citizen it is not for me to comment on this.

Ample criticisms of my post but nothing productive.

If you do not WISH to put $$$ into a Thai bank in order to comply, it may be better to stay at home.

I think that LOS offers a generous deal eg B400k/B800k deposited into a Thai bank.

Some countries seek USD0.5m or more.

Simple, If you are too cheap to pay for a proper Visa and Extension, go home. If you are too poor Thailand does not want you, go home. If you are a criminal then Thailand and I do want you around, go home !!

Your last sentence, you are saying that both you and Thailand want criminals around??

Just who are you speaking for here?

Yes. Who are you speaking for? The Pomposity Society?

I don't get why anyone would.

A trip to your local immigration office every 90 days VS a visa run every month???

seems like a no brainer to me

Unless, of course, you're one of the many who don't qualify for a legitimate visa and/or other permission to stay in the country long term (like extension of stay). Those guys have no such option, and either have to do visa runs, risk arrest, or leave the country.

Good point. Maybe they just want to deter the chancers and wasters who live on the fringe of any society, but contribute nothing to it.

What amazes me is that there actually foreigners living in Thailand on visa exempts only.

Who in their right mind could be bothered having to go to a border every 30 days to stamp in and out. That is no life.

Does anyone know anybody who actually does this?

A trip to your local immigration office every 90 days VS a visa run every month???

ever wondered why so many expats live near the border?

There is absolutely no point allowing foreigners into your country unless they serve some useful purpose. Namely, they work to contribute to the economy, possibly doing jobs that locals can't or won't do or they pay money via taxation or some form of indirect taxation. Visas are an indirect form of taxation. I exclude tourists from this definition because they stay in hotels and use other services and buy goods, all of which contribute to the economy, but they are short stay. Many countries charge these foreign tourists for their visas which in turn contributes to the economy. Isn't this a basic fact of business life? There is no entitlement simply a call to foreigners to contribute to the country they chose to live in or visit. Isn't that fair enough!

The foreigner spends its money (coming from abroad) in Thailand, therefore contributes no less than a tourist.

Indeed much of the money goes to the landlord (for renting a condo or a house), rather than to a hotel, but still it trickles into the Thai economy.

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

It is not madness, merely the enforcement of existing rules. Your comments in respect of Thai elite in western nations are infantile and just shows your mentality.

so, why are people getting refused at the borders who are simply 'activating' the 2nd part of their 60 days tourist visa ?????

They are not - they have a valid visa.

What are you talkiing about? and why are fellow people agreeing (liking) what you have said?

YESTERDAY MORNING, this was reported: "also not allowing people to depart and return (out-in border hop) to activate second- or multiple-entry visas of any class."

So, if people are getting refused with VALID visas, How is anyone safe to leave thailand?

Link to yetsredays article (in case you didnt read it):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855734-bomber-blame-game-sees-thailand-immigration-abruptly-change-visa-rules/?utm_source=LINE&utm_medium=LINEutm_campaign

FLY

and this is ONLY affecting Thai/Cambodian border an Kanchanaburi

you can still do land border with Laos, Malaysia and other lands borders with Myanmar.

...We have a tourist who enters Thailand on a VNR basis and then chooses to holiday in Cambodia for 3 days, before returning to Thailand on a VNR basis...

What does VNR mean in the context of your post?

www.acronymfinder.com/VNR.html

Jip99 means Visa Not Required

Although why he couldn't type that, or use the more common Visa Exempt Entry is anyone's guess.

Someone needs to make an all-encompassing flowchart of options for people coming to Thailand for all manner of reasons, so that they can follow the arrows and end up with the visa best suited to their needs.

U can do that mate if u want I am 2 busy lazying around Thailand

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

what is a renewal of a visa exempt entry?

Can anyone help with the following example;

If a tourist from the UK arrives next week by air using the 3o day visa exempt facility. He has a return flight in 2 weeks to the UK.

A week later he goes by hired motorcycle from thailand to cambodia (the motorcycle is hired here in thailand).

After 3 days in cambodia he rides back. Will he be let back in?

thanks to anyone who can give good advice.

There would, at the current time, be a very high risk of being refused.

Hired motorcycles are not allowed to enter Cambodia.

Simple, If you are too cheap to pay for a proper Visa and Extension, go home. If you are too poor Thailand does not want you, go home. If you are a criminal then Thailand and I do want you around, go home !!

Your last sentence, you are saying that both you and Thailand want criminals around??

Just who are you speaking for here?

Yes. Who are you speaking for? The Pomposity Society?

What are you on about man? Are you another one who wants criminals in Thailand?

What amazes me is that there actually foreigners living in Thailand on visa exempts only.

Who in their right mind could be bothered having to go to a border every 30 days to stamp in and out. That is no life.

Does anyone know anybody who actually does this?

I agree...I did one "visa run" and all I could think about was what a pain in the ass it would be to do that every month.

This is nonsense. I got my 30-day "exemption" visa extended by 30 days just yesterday. Sorry, TV, but you're not where I look for investigative journalism.

What is nonsense is that you think that going to an immigration office and getting a 30 day extension is the same as entering Thailand on a 30 day exempt.

Sorry, mate. The OP made mention of "renewed 15/30 day visa-exempt entries". For some reason I took that to mean "extension of an existing visa-exempt entry". Going back and reading the article again, it appears I misunderstood the OP, so my bad.

Finally someone who is man enough to admit when he has made a mistake.

Well done.

Archived