1,600 UK police officers seized in 5 yrs for criminal activity

webfact

1,600 UK police officers seized in 5 yrs for criminal activity

LONDON: -- Over 1,600 British police officers have been arrested across England and Wales in the past five years on the suspicion of committing rape, narcotics trafficking and fraud.

A total of 1,629 UK police officers were detained during the period for criminal offenses that included assault, grievous bodily harm, and manslaughter, the local Sunday Times reported, citing data from 43 police forces throughout Britain.

Out of those arrested, according to the report, 500 were convicted of criminal charges or dismissed from police duty on suspicion of committing offenses.

Official figures further show that London’s Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) has witnessed the highest number of officer arrests during the period compared to other parts of the country, as 781 of its police force were taken into custody while 146 of them were subsequently convicted or received formal warnings.

Full story: http://presstv.com/Detail/2015/09/15/429230/UK-police-officers-criminal-offenses-Metropolitan-Police-College-of-Policing

-- PressTV 2015-09-15

In my youth in London the police were nicknamed the ''filth'' Not without reason it seems.

The term originally referred to Hong Kong expats, "Failed in London, try Hong Kong", not sure how it came to be used to represent the Police, I guess out of hope that they would?

Can only imagine what the numbers would be in Thailand if the spotlight was turned on the BIB. tongue.png

Nice deflection ! Did not take long before a topic which has got nothing to do with Thailand becomes a Thai bashing topic.

Yes, nothing to do with Thailand, apart from being on a Thai forum. huh.png

Can only imagine what the numbers would be in Thailand if the spotlight was turned on the BIB. tongue.png

Nice deflection ! Did not take long before a topic which has got nothing to do with Thailand becomes a Thai bashing topic.

and the OP is about bent coppers!

In perspective, 500 convictions/dismissals. ok that is 1/3 of the charged... over 5 years is 100 per year... how many on the force total? what percent is that? Still too many IMO.

In the US there are a lot of dirty cops, immigration, border patrol, corrections officers, etc. People do bad things and just because they wear a badge doesn't mean they are any different.
McDonalds workers to postal employees to cops to judges to lawyers to doctors to corp exec to..... ALL dirty. I'm betting half of the people on TV have done something dirty in their past or career...

Just sayin....5555

In perspective, 500 convictions/dismissals. ok that is 1/3 of the charged... over 5 years is 100 per year... how many on the force total? what percent is that? Still too many IMO.

In the US there are a lot of dirty cops, immigration, border patrol, corrections officers, etc. People do bad things and just because they wear a badge doesn't mean they are any different.

McDonalds workers to postal employees to cops to judges to lawyers to doctors to corp exec to..... ALL dirty. I'm betting half of the people on TV have done something dirty in their past or career...

Just sayin....5555

I admit, I wore the same underwear for 2 days one time!

Police strength figures in UK for 2012, latest available from gov.uk. These are FTEs, Full Time Equivalents, so 2 Part Time = 1 Full Time

Police officers 134101 (Proper police)

Civilian police staff 67474 (Support staff)

Community Support Officers 14,393 (The unempowered patrol staff to reassure the public someone is on the street)

Special Constables 20,343 (Part time voluntary hobby and wannabe bobbies)

To put this in context, over 5 years, 0.37% of the police officers (only considering proper police) have been convicted or dismissed for misconduct. I expect this news report also includes a proportion of the CSO and Specials who have been nicked, so the actual percentage is even less. Not bad compared to most countries.

Edited by Classic Ray

"Can only imagine ..."

Yes, that's all you can do, pretend it doesn't exist at home and imagine how bad everything is here compared to farangland. Despite all the kiddie-fiddlers left undisturbed for decades and broadly corrupt & incompetent police and politicians on-the-take in the UK (or the US or wherever), many farangs seem only able to "see" it here and make ridiculous comparisons to western countries where everything is supposedly done properly.

"If that happened in UK blah blah blah."

And then the British PM sent out some British police on a paid holiday in Thailand, supposedly to sort out the murder investigation in Koh Tao, which was nothing more than a PR stunt.

In the first public statement about the extent of British police involvement in the inquiry into the killings of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller on the holiday island of Koh Tao in September, the Met said its officers “did not conduct any investigations into the murders” themselves.

What a sad joke. A few farang on the ground and everything will be miraculously solved.

Just sayin....5555

underwear ??????

Just sayin....5555

underwear ??????

"something dirty in their past" - geddit?

Back to the original topic.

Back in the UK I was stopped for not getting into the right hand lane fast enough. 40 quid fine.

And I was stopped for driving in the outside lane for too long. Got stopped 3 times. 4 quid fine.

Oh, no, wait a minute, that was in Thailand, not the UK. My bad. wai2.gif

No mention of this in any UK newspapers. I wonder how this Iranian backed tv network got the scoop?

If you had of read as far as the second paragraph you would have found out that it was the Sunday Times' scoop.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/article1606259.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2015_09_12

I blame google! Didnt find it!

Just sayin....5555

In the US, the corruption starts a bit higher up the food chain. There's a 'I have a badge' mentality, but they are usually honest about money.

In my youth in London the police were nicknamed the ''filth'' Not without reason it seems.

The term originally referred to Hong Kong expats, "Failed in London, try Hong Kong", not sure how it came to be used to represent the Police, I guess out of hope that they would?

Totally wrong.

The use of the acronym of FILTH (meaning Failed In London Try Hong Kong) is a derogatory reference to Britons who arrived in Hong Kong in the years leading up to the handover in 1997 in the hope of making it rich in the colony’s dying days.

The term ‘Failed In London Try Hong Kong’ was originally used by Robbie Coltrane in Cracker (‘White Ghost’ episode) in 1996, whereas the UK police have been nicknamed ‘The Filth’ for many decades.

I remember it being used as a slang for the police in the 60s.

The term is also commonly used for the police in Australia and New Zealand.

Totally wrong.

The use of the acronym of FILTH (meaning Failed In London Try Hong Kong) is a derogatory reference to Britons who arrived in Hong Kong in the years leading up to the handover in 1997 in the hope of making it rich in the colony’s dying days.

The term ‘Failed In London Try Hong Kong’ was originally used by Robbie Coltrane in Cracker (‘White Ghost’ episode) in 1996, whereas the UK police have been nicknamed ‘The Filth’ for many decades.

I remember it being used as a slang for the police in the 60s.

The term is also commonly used for the police in Australia and New Zealand.

I'm sure you are right about the police predating the term for expats, however you are wrong about Robbie Coltrane, FILTH was a common term in Hong Kong in the early 80's.

in the section world news

Developing world police force like TH vs a developed world like the UK. Why not just compare UK's police force to Somalia's then?