WHY live in thailand

big carl

I admit, I have a strange way to compare countries but I compare the metro. I once took the dirty full of graffiti metro in Paris, dominated by gangs scaring and ripping off other passengers. Same in London, less in Moskou ( probably the most beautiful one in the world). In Bangkok the metro is clean, the people friendly, never felt a threat whatsoever. Sure things are not perfect and yes there are many things to criticize but for me the Thai scale still tips to the positive side.

The gangs are there, the threats are there, you just don't have the knowledge to see them.

Many foreigners have a false sense of security in Thailand, but the houses all have bars on the windows, and the younger women never go out alone at night.

Statistically,

You are 20x more likely to die on a trip to Thailand, than a trip to Europe.

A false sense of security? I live in Thailand permanently since 1998. If you leave the (deleted) agressive behavior behind from wherever you come things are just fine.

TGF and fam live in the country. Nice folk. Go to the temple, hep the poor, run businesses, and have guns. TGF has a fit when I go out at night alone.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit, I have a strange way to compare countries but I compare the metro. I once took the dirty full of graffiti metro in Paris, dominated by gangs scaring and ripping off other passengers. Same in London, less in Moskou ( probably the most beautiful one in the world). In Bangkok the metro is clean, the people friendly, never felt a threat whatsoever. Sure things are not perfect and yes there are many things to criticize but for me the Thai scale still tips to the positive side.

The gangs are there, the threats are there, you just don't have the knowledge to see them.

Many foreigners have a false sense of security in Thailand, but the houses all have bars on the windows, and the younger women never go out alone at night.

Statistically,

If you walk to and from the bar, then the statistics drop dramatically.

Oh, and I've been here for a few years and know about bars, from both sides............................wink.png

The dangers are when you drive to these temples and such, but if you don't need to do the touristy stuff, be aware and enjoy yourselves. The OP was about why people want to live here, not visit.

There are just as many reasons as there are people. You want common reasons as to why people live here and slag off Thailand.

I suspect one common reason people complain is due to the fact that they may not of understood Thailand before they arrived, since Thailand is so good at packaging.... controlling the press releases... Maintaining an image, now matter how far removed from reality... _________________________ (insert common reason here)

Once they've arrived and the haze is off, reality sinks in, and they begin to do the love/hate thing until they get fed up w/ the place.

If fact if you look at the myriad of blog posts and articles, over the years, about long term expats who gave up on Thailand, they all have a common thread.

They get tired of the culture, scams, lies, ever changing rules, racism, xenophobia.

Reasonable people are going to get tired of this anywhere they go. coffee1.gif

Folk on here really seem to think everyone who stays here "must" love Thailand, well I aint being "attitude adjusted" just yet.

I stay here solely as this is where my Wife makes money, because she makes this money I dont have to work, my opinion of Thailand is not good, so what, I can still stay here and as long as im not interacting with many of them its just fine.

There are just as many reasons as there are people. You want common reasons as to why people live here and slag off Thailand.

I suspect one common reason people complain is due to the fact that they may not of understood Thailand before they arrived, since Thailand is so good at packaging.... controlling the press releases... Maintaining an image, now matter how far removed from reality... _________________________ (insert common reason here)

Once they've arrived and the haze is off, reality sinks in, and they begin to do the love/hate thing until they get fed up w/ the place.

If fact if you look at the myriad of blog posts and articles, over the years, about long term expats who gave up on Thailand, they all have a common thread.

They get tired of the culture, scams, lies, ever changing rules, racism, xenophobia.

You have some valid points of view.

My question was why do they stay here?

This rings very true "They get tired of the culture, scams, lies, ever changing rules, racism, xenophobia"

It's simple. The longer you stay here, the more you know, and the more you know, odds are that the less you will think of this country, culture and it's people. This place is not perfect, in fact, far from it.

I can't think of anyone that has stayed here for a longer period of time (let's say 3+ years full-time, not as a tourist) and wouldn't go off on a rant every now and then about Thailand and Thainess. It's perfectly normal to "bitch" sometimes, and they give us plenty of reason to do that here. Whoever fails to see that is living in denial.

For the record, I have never been burnt by a thai woman or scammed in any serious way.

What you say is partially true. I have lived in several countries and they were not perfect either. They had things that you don't see when you first get there. People that think any country is perfect are dreaming.

Yes it is nice to have a place where we can rant. How ever I was more interested in the ones who continually Thai bash. Why are they staying here under such to them terrible conditions or what they look at as terrible.

If the OP his truly happy with his own choice to live in Thailand, then why on earth is he in the least bit concerned that others express negative opinions about the place?

And does the OP himself see no problems in Thailand, none whatsoever?

Thailand is a large culturally, geographically and economically diverse place that has undergone huge social change in a very short time frame. There absolutely are problems in Thailand.

To deny those problems is a personal matter, to deny others the right to notice and discuss the problems is something altogether more sinister.

My advice to the OP, ignore negative views if you don't like them.

If however you can't ignore them, if you find the views others express upset you, then the problem is something you need to adress in yourself.

What ever gave you the idea I was concerned. I am interested in the reasons they stay here. Never know when some information will come in handy. You two are like all but one of the posters. You avoid the question. When all you can do is Thai bash why don't you leave? I am not asking for a list of all Thailand's good points or bad points. Just what is keeping you here when you feel that bad about Thailand. I am a curious man and am now wondering why so many people avoid the question.

Folk on here really seem to think everyone who stays here "must" love Thailand, well I aint being "attitude adjusted" just yet.

I stay here solely as this is where my Wife makes money, because she makes this money I dont have to work, my opinion of Thailand is not good, so what, I can still stay here and as long as im not interacting with many of them its just fine.

Thank you for answering my question. It scared most people off.

When all you can do is Thai bash why don't you leave?

Can you give me an example of someone who only 'Thai bashes'?

I've been a member here for a while now and I can't bring any such a person to mind. I'm not even sure what Thai bashing is.

Since you seem to have discovered such people doing nothing else but 'Thai bashing' help me out with an example.

Why live in Thailand ? I would say that for a large number, they got no choice, they burnt their bridges, went "all in" money wise with the Macmansion and pick-up for the wife, made their bed no they have to lie in it.

The alternative is leaving it all behind and starting again, probably hoping and praying that some relative or social/welfare system will prop them up in the short term and at 60+ that prospect is not attractive, so, they grin, bare it, make the best of what they can and moan about it at every opportunity on Thai Visa and detail all the wrongs and pitfalls of Thailand and its people.

Miserable and sour at the choice they made to go "all in" when they were younger and not thinking too far ahead, or not thinking at all about the future and what may lie ahead.

Thailand is and has always been relatively "unstable" can change and turn at a moments notice, visa's etc depend on ever moving goal posts, and the whim of the uniform that faces you.

Its a wonderful place if you have money, reasonable financial security and dont mind jumping the odd hoop.

If you are none of those things, time will soon catch you and you will see the Beauty change to the Beast that will spit you out.

Edited by RolandRat

I suspect a lot of the naysayers came to thailand as sort of Utopian dream, shacked up with some slapper, threw all their money in the pot and are now trapped for all intents and purposes, then there are those on here who came to Thailand "failed" for some reason went back to farangistan, and now spend their time on Thailand related forums slagging the place off

And finally there are those miserable<deleted> who would whinge where ever they are as they are just not happy unless they are complaining

And so ends post number 4

You forgot the school teachers

Thanks.

Your post raises some good debatable questions.

In general, people move toward pleasure and away from pain.

Specifically, I think the reason why they stay is that they, unbeknownst to them, are stuck in the love/hate/pleasure/pain conundrum.

When they, or for some, if they, ever have a moment of clarity, they (may) realize they hate more days here than they love.

When you hate more days than you love, it's time to go.

Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.

They stayed....hope...

They left....reality (theirs)...Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.

IMHO.

This?Sound-Avenue_Blizzard.jpg

or this?

beachholsthailand.jpg

Yeah right mate. Most on here are shacked up with a bird in Nakon Nowhere and many others can't move from a bar stool to truly spend time on a beautiful idyllic beach.

Many of these and those who are back in Farangistan through a failed crack at life here or insufficient funds will be the ones slagging off the country.

Really? I live outside of BKK, used to live on the beach in SF, have had two successful businesses, retired at 48 coffee1.gif

Really really?? You don't get out much, do you? JoopJoop hit the nail right on the head.

From a working person's perspective, somebody who has vendors and customers in several Asian countries, Thailand does not have enough to warrant spending long periods time. It is no longer an easy place to set up or run a business. There are wonderful things about Thailand, but some of those things have diminished since the junta took power. Much of our new business got started with the help of Thai people and businesses.

I live here so I can read "How Much I Love Thailand...How Can I Ever Count The Ways!" Posts on TV...over and over...

Rarely do all people agree on anything...much less the value of living in Thailand...not everyone has the most wonderful of experiences here...

Allow them to have a voice without being harassed by Thai apologists...

If everyone posted the same thing on every post...this forum would die of boredom...

Thank goodness people feel free to express their disapproval of Thailand...

This makes for an interesting, honest, and healthy debate...IMHO

Edited by ggt

The really really really sad part of it is that I know someone who is financially secure, very nice fellow, easy going and accepting and would have, I believe, loved retirement here. One of the reasons he decided against retirement here was all of the negative things he read on this forum sort of turned him off…. I am sure there were other factors… but I am sad that miserable people just mouthing off have spread their misery and have effect on others… maybe there are better things than misery to share in this world and maybe sharing some positive things might help them feel better.

I suspect a lot of the naysayers came to thailand as sort of Utopian dream, shacked up with some slapper, threw all their money in the pot and are now trapped for all intents and purposes, then there are those on here who came to Thailand "failed" for some reason went back to farangistan, and now spend their time on Thailand related forums slagging the place off

And finally there are those miserable<deleted> who would whinge where ever they are as they are just not happy unless they are complaining

It took me a while to realise that many posters on here are not actually living in Thailand, but still feel the need to join in with the forum.

It took me a while to realise that many posters on here are not actually living in Thailand, but still feel the need to join in with the forum.

Yes, a large percentage of posters don’t actually live in Thailand but it is the only place where a certain part of their anatomy lives. When that part of their body is in hibernation back home they have a few options. There is a huge part of the internet focused on their physical release but that doesn’t take long so then they come to TVF to release what is left of their physiological frustrations until they are able to return to Thailand. At least that is one theory.

This?Sound-Avenue_Blizzard.jpg

or this?

beachholsthailand.jpg

Yeah right mate. Most on here are shacked up with a bird in Nakon Nowhere and many others can't move from a bar stool to truly spend time on a beautiful idyllic beach.

Many of these and those who are back in Farangistan through a failed crack at life here or insufficient funds will be the ones slagging off the country.

Really? I live outside of BKK, used to live on the beach in SF, have had two successful businesses, retired at 48 coffee1.gif

Really really?? You don't get out much, do you? JoopJoop hit the nail right on the head.

I often wonder why many are here as I get around town today.

Some have little luk krueng with them and others have the girl in tow, often mismatched I'm afraid to say (sorry if this offends).

Anyhow, why for me?

My girl has a business here and this city is her home.

I've worked and travelled nearly everywhere; I'm far more adaptable, so it's easier for me to be here. I do have good and bad days, some where I really do go "&lt;deleted&gt;", but I'm honestly happy here.

We often drive out of town to a special secluded place south (khwam lab) where the beach is still clean and deserted.

Home is in Chatuchak and I truly love it. It's the suburb where my girls family live but if I had a choice I wouldn't move.

If we have a little one or two, then perhaps a strong likelihood for a move back to the home country (I don't rate the education system here).

I'm quite conversant in the language so that goes a long way to making a positive life here.

I love the food, respect the people and I find that is reciprocated always.

I do feel the need to have a break from Thailand and Thainess. Actually, I just returned from a 3 week BASE jump trip in Brasil so I'm refueled and pretty damn high on life right now.

Aside from the common dislikes here, I find it difficult to find Farang friends or perhaps ones that I could be friends with.

I've been living here for 3 1/2 years and enjoy my life here more now than in the beginning.

Best wishes to all who do live here.

Some of us enjoy very good lives here. Some of us were fortunate to find a good, kind, earnest woman. Mine is pretty, very smart, funny, playful, smiles a lot, and has a great family. Very well balanced with very few bad days. There is no way on earth I could find that in the U.S. Also, she does not ask me to check my balls at the door. She is comfortable being a woman, and likes the fact that I am a man. I cannot find that in the states, where most women refuse to allow a man to be a man.

I enjoy great food every day. Super fresh vegetables, and fruits. Living here in a smaller town is reasonable. Most people I run into and deal with are pleasant. Traveling around Thailand with a well adjusted Thai woman is a lot of fun. We get treated well, everywhere we go, and we have a blast.

I do not miss the disenchantment, lack of fulfillment, dour attitude, pessimism, lack of humor, or lack of playfulness and lightheartedness, and general lack of hope that is so prevalent in the U.S. these days.

I truly hope and pray I never have to live in the states again. I am not on the run. I am not running away from anything, except a much lower quality of life.

And yes, some of us like to rant. No place is perfect. We see room for improvement. That is normal and healthy, within reason.

Edited by spidermike007

The really really really sad part of it is that I know someone who is financially secure, very nice fellow, easy going and accepting and would have, I believe, loved retirement here. One of the reasons he decided against retirement here was all of the negative things he read on this forum sort of turned him off…. I am sure there were other factors… but I am sad that miserable people just mouthing off have spread their misery and have effect on others… maybe there are better things than misery to share in this world and maybe sharing some positive things might help them feel better.

You hit a nerve here that I believe is worldwide. People are angry to the bone because the world is getting screwed. Monsanto, Big Pharma, etc. have purchased the U.S. government and are spreading their diseased products and policies in virtually every country, every economy, and folks feel helpless. Like it or not, what happens in America has a ripple effect around the planet, and it has been reluctantly accepted that ALL major governments are now crooked as a dog's hind leg.

Here's my point - ThaiVisa allows us a platform to vent. You are absolutely right, the majority of posts are bitch sessions, it's not often you see positive post here. I'm hoping against all hope that the American elections next year make a clean sweep of ousting the purchased, "business-as-usual" cronies and that the masses take up arms against the Kochs, the Soros', the billionaire class that is squeezing the life out of this planet. Lord knows, we certainly outnumber them!

post-119784-0-15643100-1442374800_thumb.

I don't get peoples problem with criticising what is unacceptable behaviour.
Why is it deemed acceptable to complain about unacceptable behaviour in one's home country but considered 'Thai bashing' when voiced here.
i think most people who complain are frustrated by the fact that the country has so much potential but is constantly shackled by ineptitude/laziness/stupidity.

Walk near any beautiful beach and the smell of rotting refuse in bins is overpowering, it really isn't that difficult to manage basic infrastructure.

What is the problem with plumbing? For a people who have lived on water since the inception of the cities, how have they not mastered the art of managing drainage and smells, it is an issue in almost every condo and house!

Cut up or block ambulances to make a green light, third highest road deaths in the world.

Treat dogs in a way that would get them arrested in civilised countries.
ZERO social conscience, impressing people with an oversized SUV or pick up, is way more important than conserving energy.

Unfortunately the longer people stay the more they see of the Thai psyche.

For me I take the good from living here and try to ignore the muppets as much as possible.

I use the mantra from that lyrical poet Jay Z "What you eat don't make me sh1t!"

I ate at Sante Fe last night and as usual the soup and sald comes after the main dish. Is it so hard to bring the salad and soup before. What are they teaching in skools?

Apparently they're better at spelling than you.

I think the point is being missed here . Wherever people live there will be something to bash . When i lived in uk there were lots of things i did not like . Now i live in thailand and if there is something i do not like i say so. I have to live somewhere and there is no perfect place .

I have lived in a village in issan for 8 years have a house son and teacher wife iand i love it here . What i do not like is the child deaths , mostly by accident ,the murders and rapes esp of children which happen frequently all over thialand but a lot of tv members live in farangland and never see or know it goes on . 3 children raped in my village last year , 14 yr old , 9yr old and 6 yr old . Nobody went to prison , all paid about 10,000 to the family .The 9yr was raped for a year and when asked why she never told someone she said she told her teacher . When my wife asked the teacher why she did nothing she replied "not my child ,not my problem ". I have seen teenagers killed in front of me at drunken fights at the temple concerts , nobody goes to jail.

If i state these things on tv am i thai bashing , should i go home ?

I do not like the woman at udon immigration asking me for money or she would not give me my visa . I do not like it that thais are crazy and drunk on the roads . Should i like it so as not to thai bash ?

Statistically,

Funny how this seems to go over most people's head.

Maybe they think they're there as a fashion accessory.wink.png