How much on arrival?

Is this question because you don't want to carry cash or because you want to come here with only 10 or 20K in cash?

Why not just carry 100K and be really on the safe side, at least that way you'll look like a quality tourist.

All I know is....I come for four months and I must show a bank statement to the embassy (to obtain the visa) saying I have 20 in the bank. I can only have a visa for 2 months, but I must still show the 20. I have never been asked to show anything on arrival (at airport in Bkok). But there is always a first time.

• Visa Exempt Entry = 10k min
  • Tourist Visa/Non-Imm = 20k min

Not sure where the 10k baht number comes from for a visa exempt entry. It may be in the original ministerial regulation that allows them. It appears on some embassy websites and was on the MFA website until they redid it.

There have been many reports of immigration wanting to see 20k baht for visa exempt entries.

The immigration act does not have a number for financial proof.

• Visa Exempt Entry = 10k min
  • Tourist Visa/Non-Imm = 20k min
Not sure where the 10k baht number comes from for a visa exempt entry. It may be in the original ministerial regulation that allows them. It appears on some embassy websites and was on the MFA website until they redid it.

There have been many reports of immigration wanting to see 20k baht for visa exempt entries.

The immigration act does not have a number for financial proof.

The following amounts were announced by the ministry in 2010 and confirmed as correct by Thai Visa admin.

• Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
  • Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.
  • Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
  • Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

As far was I'm aware websites only ever quote 10k for visa exempt entry and there hasn't been an official announcement changing the amounts since 2010.

If anyone is worried they should carry 20k.

• Like 1

It says 10 on every website.

Well bring 10 then. Up to you!!

If you don't have US$560 maybe you should just stay at home facepalm.gif

It's not really a question of someone not having $560. It's that it's not necessary to carry that amount of cash with ATM's, credit cards etc readily available.

• Like 1

Im confused, where do they ask for the proof? I made 2 trips in and out of Thailand last month one a visa exempt and another to get a single entry visa and nobody asked to see anything

It hardly ever happens. But an IO can ask to see the cash before stamping your passport and letting you enter, and they can deny entry if you don't have it. It's more likely to be asked for if the IO is trying to find a reason to deny entry.

Im confused, where do they ask for the proof? I made 2 trips in and out of Thailand last month one a visa exempt and another to get a single entry visa and nobody asked to see anything

They do not ask/challenge everyone at immigration !

Perhaps they will ask you next time an entry to Thailand is made smile.png

It hardly ever happens. But an IO can ask to see the cash before stamping your passport and letting you enter, and they can deny entry if you don't have it. It's more likely to be asked for if the IO is trying to find a reason to deny entry.

I see,that makes sense now

I was coming and going on a 30 Tourist Visa for a year until I got my Extension of Stay, I was never asked, I have friends who do 30 a day Tourist Viss regularly, never been asked. Imagine the queues/confusion if they started asking.

I would have thought if you had a return ticket they would have no reason to ask.

I was coming and going on a 30 Tourist Visa for a year until I got my Extension of Stay, I was never asked, I have friends who do 30 a day Tourist Viss regularly, never been asked. Imagine the queues/confusion if they started asking.

I would have thought if you had a return ticket they would have no reason to ask.

There are no "30 Tourist visas" only 30 day VISA EXEMPT entries .

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855966-thai-immigration-launches-new-crackdown-on-visa-runners/?utm_source=newsletter-20150915-0752&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Read the content of that link to be fully updated.

It says 10 on every website.

Well bring 10 then. Up to you!!

If you don't have US$560 maybe you should just stay at home facepalm.gif

Exactly. I figure a flight, a bed and a meal with company in a nearby Asian country until I can sort out why I was denied entry to Thailand would be in the $500 range, so thats what I carry. Cash is king

Good Lord, in thirty years back and forth I doubt there's been more than a handful of occasions - and all of those back in the days of travellers cheques and scarce ATMs and difficult international withdrawals - when I have carried more than the equivalent of few thousand Baht in cash on entering Thailand.

Mind you, my commanding demeanour and authoritative presence at the immigration desk likely prohibits impertinent questions of a pecuniary nature.

I would assume appearance is also a factor. If you arrive reasonably well groomed, with appropriate clothing, I think it is unlikely you would be asked for proof of funds. If, however, you arrive looking like something the cat dragged in - tatts, dreadlocks, singlet, sandals and body odour - then it should be hardly surprising the immigration officer asks for proof of funds.

• Like 2

Is this question because you don't want to carry cash or because you want to come here with only 10 or 20K in cash?

Why not just carry 100K and be really on the safe side, at least that way you'll look like a quality tourist.

He would definitely be arrested with 100k baht.

50k baht is the maximum permitted when entering Thailand. Any extra must be in another currency.