Package being held until I pay for tax

DanceAllNight

So, i had a package sent to my from the US via USPS. The package is just some used shirts, deodorant, underwear.

I checked my tracking info and it said this...

Payment of charges - Item being held, addressee being notified

how much could i possibly be charged for simple items like this? The total value of the stuff sent was probably $30.

Value stated on declaration, plus postage cost x import tax x Vat.

Is the usual calculation.

I just sent 10 kg. I wrote on the declaration: Dirty used clothes and underwear for personal use: 10 USD.

Postman brought it without any charge. I almost hoped someone want to check it...dig into the dirty old underwear sick.gif

tracking status since the package left the US:

September 14, 2015 , 1:29 pm

Payment of charges - Item being held, addressee being notified

THAILAND

Your item could not be delivered on September 14, 2015 at 1:29 pm in THAILAND due to payment of charges. It is being held while the addressee is notified.

September 11, 2015 , 11:35 am

Customs clearance processing complete

THAILAND

September 9, 2015 , 9:38 am

Customs Clearance

THAILAND

September 9, 2015 , 9:14 am

Processed Through Sort Facility

THAILAND

September 8, 2015 , 6:12 pm

Departed

Bangkok, THAILAND

September 8, 2015 , 1:31 pm

Departed

Taipei, TAIWAN

so, how much do you think tax would be? I know the declared value, but not the shipping cost or insurance info.

What I am mad about, is that some packages are taxed and other are not.

I've had several things shipped to me, but never had this problem.

Nothing is straightforward in Thailand and always up to the person in charge at that moment.

If you enforce, enforce it 100 percent.

Depending on what rate and how much of it they impose a "duty" on, I would guess that you will be required to pay 750-1000 baht to receive that package.

Some things like shoes have 30%

rough worst case estimation

115 USD value

100 USD shipping

=225 USD=8100 Baht

30%= 2430 Baht

8100+2430=10.500

7%=730 Baht

about 3000+ Baht = 100 USD worst case.

More likely 750-1000 Baht

It was sent by a family member.

He said he declared the package $115 for insurance purposes.

He used United States Postal Service.

Maybe because some of the used shirts are still in packages bought off Ebay is why there is a problem.

So you are cheating either the insurance or the tax.

It is either worth 115 USD than you should pay the import duty.

Or it is nothing worth, than why should the insurance pay 115 $ if they loose it.

Cheating is often more expensive than being honest.

Why insure it for $115 if it's not worth that much? That's what they'll figure in declaring the value to figure customs. And as stated, customs charges are added to the cost of shipping, also.

You should have taken the risk and not insured it if you wanted to reduce your duty. In general, if something is declared to be of low value, the Thai postal service doesn't bother to collect duty on just the cost of shipping.

UPS/FedEx/DHL is another story. Avoid them for bringing good into the country unless they'll really valuable. They're great for documents, but not the sort of stuff the OP had shipped to him.

Edited by NancyL

Postal items entering Thailand with a value less than B1,000 are not taxed by customs. When I order anything from overseas I ask the seller to mark the item at $20 and a gift. Once I had a package delivered marked as above and the postman said there was customs duty to pay (showed me the paperwork from customs. He wasn't trying it on.) I told him to return the item back to the sender at the cost of customs because I refuse to pay duty. Two days later the postman returned with the package and no duty. The post office had contacted customs to inform them the package was rejected. They then realized they would be out of pocket and folded. If you marked your value as being over B1,000 then you've had it i'm afraid.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+postal+items/importingpostalitems+

Maybe because some of the used shirts are still in packages bought off Ebay is why there is a problem.

This was the issue.. They will charge you tax as the declared value is 'high'

If had declared value of 10 USD ... Then likely no tax..

It's just a reminder not to use FedEx, UPS of any courier company.

he used USPS...I think it means USA Postal Service. It is not UPS, it is just normal post.

My mistake. Apologies all round.

You aren't the first one who confuse USPS and UPS.....

I have just received a package from my family back home. A birthday present.

There was no import tax as it is a gift. If I order items from Amazon for instance I alway have to go to the post office and pay the import tax.

I dont understand why you have to pay for these items. It doesnt sound right to me.

So you are cheating either the insurance or the tax.

It is either worth 115 USD than you should pay the import duty.

Or it is nothing worth, than why should the insurance pay 115 $ if they loose it.

Cheating is often more expensive than being honest.

Thank you for the morality lesson on how to be honest, with corrupt customs officials who extort millions from the unsuspecting souls who send their used goods to themselves.