now that stocks and bonds don't bring any money, in what to invest?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

get out of all your investments NOW.........

allow for the collapse......then buy some bonds with high yield in 2-3 years....

or buy some swamp land i have at great prices!!!!

if you don't own property....then buy some in your home country

I am not in the same boat

My stocks still pay me good dividends and my tax free munis are netting me around 3.6% annualized when you count in the tax break

Now if you are talking about the Thai Stock Market and Thai Bonds then I am not in the same boat as you, so I can offer no advice

Good for you. Sounds like you are doing well. If it's not confidential would you mind sharing more about what you are investing in? I would be particularly interested if your investments are in the US because there's where most of what little I have is and I am trying to figure out a steady income strategy.

my investments are in the European & USA market.

little bit of commodities too like gold, silver...

all my business is managed by a bank. I could do it by myself but too risky. too many of my friends lost all thinking they could make big money and have been hit by the crisis. They have lost most of their money.

when market is based on a fraction of a second, better give this to professionals and have a good night sleep.

I will not invest more(in stocks and bonds ) . better be safe than sorry. this is why I am asking you if there is a better and a safer way to invest.

I am not in the same boat

My stocks still pay me good dividends and my tax free munis are netting me around 3.6% annualized when you count in the tax break

Now if you are talking about the Thai Stock Market and Thai Bonds then I am not in the same boat as you, so I can offer no advice

Good for you. Sounds like you are doing well. If it's not confidential would you mind sharing more about what you are investing in? I would be particularly interested if your investments are in the US because there's where most of what little I have is and I am trying to figure out a steady income strategy.

Unfortunately I am not a trader but inherited a portfolio of stocks that my father picked based upon their dividend payment history since he did not have a retirement fund from any job. One of the best payers seems to be AT&T for instance. The tax free munis were purchased for the State of Pennsylvania to save taxes and were Fidelity and Vanguard offerings

I am not trying to be vague, just honest

post-10942-0-49577100-1442345164_thumb.p

I invest for dividends and interest, but not buying stocks or funds that seem too highly priced. I own BP and T for individual stocks. Prices go up and down, I just keep reinvesting the dividends. I hold lots of tax free municipal bonds of long term duration I bought in the last 10 years and Municipal ETFs and Funds. Averaging >4 % across the board tax free. My holdings are: PGX, PFXF,T, BP, NLY, PZA,PRTAX,NEA,PRHYX. The tax free stuff is of course in my regular brokerage account. The other holdings, are split between my ROth IRA and my Traditional IRA. My plan was to get enough income to qualify for Thai retirement visa income test with of course a lot left over. I now earn twice that. I plan to work about 3 or 4 more years then probably take my earlier, but not earliest social security benefits. I will still be young enough to enjoy my retirement, yet also have enough to ensure I will always have enough in retirement.

I've made quite a bit on currency trading over the last 3 years, esp sterling/ baht. Tax free and paid for my living expenses inThailand

Property in europe. Looking to buy a place in Italy before christmas

Recently the wife and I acquired some land in Bangkok and the idea was to build shophouses. But the investment was quite high so now decided on a development that caters to a service industry instead i.e. always in demand/people still need in a recession.

all my business is managed by a bank. I could do it by myself but too risky. too many of my friends lost all thinking they could make big money and have been hit by the crisis. They have lost most of their money.

when market is based on a fraction of a second, better give this to professionals and have a good night sleep.

I will not invest more(in stocks and bonds ) . better be safe than sorry. this is why I am asking you if there is a better and a safer way to invest.

You have an account large enough for the bank to give you a personal manager? Why on earth are you asking the hacks at TV?

You have an account large enough for the bank to give you a personal manager? Why on earth are you asking the hacks at TV?

I thought everyone had a personal manager.My bank gave me a personal manager probably because they want to handle my money in the best possible way that benefits the bank.

What is your definition of safe? If it is to not loose any money, then you should be out of the markets and in a insured bank account. If it is a measure of volatility, what is your time frame? That is a different discussion. You mentioned investing in real estate. If you put it all in a single piece of property you may have decreased volatility while dramatically increasing your investment risk via substantially decreasing your diversification by putting all your eggs in a single basket.

"Personal managers" are not always exclusive. Fidelity will assign you one if you have your retirement money with them but that personal manager will handle numerous customers in addition to you.

"Personal managers" are not always exclusive. Fidelity will assign you one if you have your retirement money with them but that personal manager will handle numerous customers in addition to you.

Not at banks. Private banks have personal bank managers. I know I have one.

as for personal managers, Etrade assigns you one once you get so much on deposit there. The guy called me today and I said I don't want anything. He says his advice is free, but yeah well I will seek my own counsel. I did write to Etrade and complained about this guy. He is in the Florida office. He knew how much I had in fixed income things and he wanted to talk about rising interest rates. I said my account details are none of his business, and now I am concerned about privacy and security. just how many people at Etrade have access to the details of my portfolio? Do they allow a lot of people to troll the customer's accounts, with who knows what in mind?

Have a look at putting some cash - dollars or baht in Laos. Have some reasonable deals. And if you don't mind converting to Kip even better deals. The Laos banks all have similar interest rates but the foreign banks offer lower, obviously because they want to make more and 'presumably' more secure, but who knows. There are also some micro finance / savings deposit companies who lend short time to anyone who needs it, and if you are willing to risk some cash they have a passbook account which pays 8% a year, or fixed term for 2 years pays 16% a year, interest paid monthly into any Lao bank. It may not be what you are looking for but the rates are good, and although a risk I think a very small risk, but for those rates you can't expect more.

Have a look at putting some cash - dollars or baht in Laos. Have some reasonable deals. And if you don't mind converting to Kip even better deals. The Laos banks all have similar interest rates but the foreign banks offer lower, obviously because they want to make more and 'presumably' more secure, but who knows. There are also some micro finance / savings deposit companies who lend short time to anyone who needs it, and if you are willing to risk some cash they have a passbook account which pays 8% a year, or fixed term for 2 years pays 16% a year, interest paid monthly into any Lao bank. It may not be what you are looking for but the rates are good, and although a risk I think a very small risk, but for those rates you can't expect more.

Currency risk is an issue there. Getting 8 to 16 percent on Kip deposits would be good unless the value of the Kip declines by another 8 to 16 percent.

Retirement Portfolio Allocation

Stocks can be volatile, offering greater risks and rewards. Cash and fixed income tend to be safer bets, providing more modest returns. While it’s generally recommended that you take on a more conservative investing approach as you reach retirement, it will depend on your own unique circumstances and tolerance for risk.

Use asset allocation models as guidelines to help you balance your need for income and growth.

Moderate

5% Cash Investments including gold/silver

35% Fixed Income

60% Fixed Income Stock 45% U.S. 15% International

Performance: 1970–20131
Average Annual Return: 9.8%
Best Year: 30.9%
Worst Year: –20.9%

Consider this if:

• You are age 60–69
  • You don't need current income
  • You want solid growth with relative stability
  • You can tolerate some fluctuations but considerably less than the overall stock market

Moderately Conservative

10% Cash Investments

50% Fixed Income

40% Stock 30% U.S. 10% International

Performance: 1970–20131
Average Annual Return: 9.1%
Best Year: 27.0%
Worst Year: –12.5%

Consider this if:

• You are age 70–79
  • You want current income and stability
  • You want some opportunity to increase the value of your investments

AND GO WITH AN “ETF” IF YOU ARE NOT STOCK SAVVY

Not at banks. Private banks have personal bank managers. I know I have one.

Yes, you do. And that person acts as a personal manager for a number of clients.

Archived