now that stocks and bonds don't bring any money, in what to invest?

performance - 3 percent from January.

Far away from the + 7 percent I did in 2014.

percent performance is not really significantly informative without a reference currency. living in Thailand i express my performance in

-Thai Baht because my lion share of expenses are THB,

-US-Dollars because my investments are mainly USD denominated,

-€URo because of nostalgic feelings and a small percentage of € assets,

these performances show considerable (even daily) differences because of this year's high currency fluctuations, e.g. presently

THB +13.79% (peak in may ~22%)

USD +6.83% (peak in april ~11%)

EUR +9.81% (peak in april ~19%)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonds are probably a poor investment now as Interest Rates can't go much lower so very little room to appreciate. There is a far greater chance Interest Rates will rise, given way to the Bond losing value. Stocks are down so no point selling them now. Best to hold and wait. Since many stock markets have decreased in value over the past year what I find is a good investment right now is high yielding dividend paying stocks.

When a dependable dividend paying stock remains paying the same, but the stock price goes down, then the yield goes up. I recently bought a Liquor Stock that has been paying a dividend faithfully for over 10 years now. Last year the dividend yield (Interest Rate) was 6.75%. But along with all the other falling stocks and for no good reason I could see this stock dropped a lot. So now I bought back in when the yield is now 9%. At that yield I can afford to wait to when this stock returns to normal. I have no problem sitting on my Butt and earning 9% return on my money and not have to chase people around for rent money. Dividends have preferred tax rates as well.

If the stock should go back up in price when things look better and the yield falls to 6% that is still a good return on your investment. But you can also sell this stock then and claim a 50% return on your full investment. You have many companies now to choose from. Many well establish places like banks, utility companies, cable TV companies, R.E.I.T. (Real Estate Investment Trusts) phamaceuticals, and breweries generally all pay dividends. I prefer Liquor as people tend to drink in good times, but also bad times. They also tend to run at a discount as many people don't invest in sin stocks. I invest where I can make money.

Hope this helps.

name of liquor stock?- just between us. It sounds great.

percent performance is not really significantly informative without a reference currency. living in Thailand i express my performance in

these performances show considerable (even daily) differences because of this year's high currency fluctuations, e.g. presently

Percent performance is not really significantly informative without a detailed reference to the investment vehicles that made the returns possible. It's like telling us you had good noodle soup but not where or when.

Percent performance is not really significantly informative without a detailed reference to the investment vehicles that made the returns possible. It's like telling us you had good noodle soup but not where or when.

a detailed reference concerning my investments would require to write a dissertation. but even then most people wouldn't understand what's it all about and sometimes i have strong doubts whether i understand it myself.

laugh.png

a detailed reference concerning my investments would require to write a dissertation. but even then most people wouldn't understand what's it all about and sometimes i have strong doubts whether i understand it myself.

laugh.png

One guy talks about investments only available to people who live in the States (this is a Thai forum sad.png) now you have good investments but they are too complicated to discuss. This is not helping me a lot. I'm cash heavy. The money keeps coming in and I'm dumping it into CDs at less that 2% interest and even my Bloomberg guy tells me 2 or 3% is going to be tops for the next 10 years. What to do?

laugh.png

One guy talks about investments only available to people who live in the States (this is a Thai forum sad.png) now you have good investments but they are too complicated to discuss. This is not helping me a lot. I'm cash heavy. The money keeps coming in and I'm dumping it into CDs at less that 2% interest and even my Bloomberg guy tells me 2 or 3% is going to be tops for the next 10 years. What to do?

yields are a matter of taking risks. no risk, no reward. high risk, high yields and sometimes... high losses. i wouldn't recommend my method of investing to anybody who is without 10-15 years experience investing in a variety of markets and assets.

laugh.png

yields are a matter of taking risks. no risk, no reward. high risk, high yields and sometimes... high losses. i wouldn't recommend my method of investing to anybody who is without 10-15 years experience investing in a variety of markets and assets.

So If yesterday I wanted to buy US treasuries 10 year note what would you have advised? That is the kind of thing you are talking about? Or do you mean junk bonds?

with 10% of your money there are things available that do pay interest. Preferred stock pay 6%+ interest, bdc's such as bdcl or cefl pay 20+ interest, mortgage reits pay 10+ interest.

There is big interest rate risk though. Principal loss is a concern.................hahaha.

Just keep it small size. As thai girls say bigger isnt always better.

laugh.png

We talk about what we know.

So If yesterday I wanted to buy US treasuries 10 year note what would you have advised? That is the kind of thing you are talking about? Or do you mean junk bonds?

any investor who buys in a before unseen low interest environment 10Y-UST yielding 2.17% has my greatest respect because he/she must have a lot of money to burn. the time to buy UST was a couple of years ago, then cashing in, sitting on fat capital gains and now leaning back although the latter is quite boring.

no, i'm not talking about any treasuries but of junk bonds as well as subordinate and "plain vanilla" bonds of corporate debtors with an investment grade rating.

Only a fool would be in the market now. Entire thing could blow up while you are sleeping. Market is sideways for ages, only upside is more QE. Far more likely youbas retail investor will lose rather than win in this environment. Pull back, powder dry. Next catastrophe will be the banksters sweeping all off the table. That will make 2x. Mom, pop and you will have no stomach nor money for a third go.

Move back home, wait for property crash. Invest in rentals. 25% in gold at <900oz.

Is time to eye for china stock.

as long as you are comfortable with communist having a say...............hahahaha.

imagine the powerhouse china would be if they ditched communism.

The communists are still in power because they could justify themselves by the excellent growth. If the economy performs poorly they would lose their reason for being in power. Also, as people get richer they tend to want more freedoms. Stay tuned kids.

Hi. Not sure why the OP says that stocks don't bring any money ?

There is nice profits to be made on the SET even if it globally went down this year.

By example, stocks JAS and GFPT just went up +15% in last 2 weeks wink.png

Maybe the OP isnt clairvoyant.

The two stocks you mention are both down YTD, so you would only have made money if you very able to time the market.

Archived