is phuket more expensive compared to other parts of thailand?

Howitzer

No, that's where the majority of low quality tourist and expat live. If they simply moved to pattaya they would get: parking, cheap prices and public transportation.

I know a few expats who have moved to Pattaya, and a few tourists that now holiday in Pattaya, rather than Phuket.

Who would ever think that a sleezy place like Pattaya would offer a better holiday product than Phuket? biggrin.png

Namkangman, not all expats that live on the west coast of the island are low quality. Some live there because that is where their businesses are. As for moving to Pattaya, no thanks, not a chance in hell. In one sentence you talk of low quality tourist and expat and then you suggest moving to Pattaya, the sleaziest, scummiest place in the entire country. Each to their own though. I know many who moved from Pattaya to Phuket and others who moved from Phuket to Pattaya, all had different reasons but all have said the same as I said before…. it's just scum and sleaze.

I disagree. Walking Street is easily avoided and Pattaya is compact enough to easily get around, unlike Phuket. Unless you've your own transport it's impossible to get from one beach destination to another. Tourists don't necessarily want to travel half the world away to stay on just one beach and many will go back to their home countries thinking the entire island is the overpriced whore infested shithole that Patong is. Many are not given the opportunity to travel to the less ripoff areas on the island, and all because an entire bloody army couldn't sort out a bunch of greedy little thug taxi drivers (I refuse to call them 'mafia', implies some sort of glamour).

Also, Pattaya is much more diverse in it's attractions, here it's all beerbars, overpriced crap restaurants and malls. Given the chance again, and Pattaya's proximity to Bangkok, I'd probably have opted for that just as soon as the die had been well and truly cast and Phuket becoming what it is, rather than it was, and could have been.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

You are correct - there is no public transport here. smile.png

Yes there is a public transport system here on Phuket Island. For sure the routes are inadequate both in service times and areas served.

But it is wrong for you to declare 'no public transport here'

Oh yes, and the public transport on this International Holiday Destination is clearly exhibited in your avatar. Why shouldn't Phuket have a mass transit system of modern air conditioned buses running every five minutes in much smaller George Town. No need to answer, we know why.

Oh yes, and the public transport on this International Holiday Destination is clearly exhibited in your avatar. Why shouldn't Phuket have a mass transit system of modern air conditioned buses running every five minutes in much smaller George Town. No need to answer, we know why.

Very good, well spotted my avatar. The cattle buses smile.png A well known tourist attraction.

That's a local bus service. The 2 airport bus services to Phuket and Patong are air conditioned. I think the Phuket Town buses are also air conditioned (not sure as I have never used).

And to answer your question - the Phuket taxi mafia and corrupt officials prevent a mass transit system.

<snip>

You are correct - there is no public transport here. smile.png

Yes there is a public transport system here on Phuket Island. For sure the routes are inadequate both in service times and areas served.

But it is wrong for you to declare 'no public transport here'

You are corect LIK. There is a very small amount of public transport on Phuket, which does not really cater for the majority of tourists, Thai locals, and expats.

Hardly a public transport system befitting a "World Class tourist destination."

Edited by NamKangMan

No, that's where the majority of low quality tourist and expat live. If they simply moved to pattaya they would get: parking, cheap prices and public transportation.

I know a few expats who have moved to Pattaya, and a few tourists that now holiday in Pattaya, rather than Phuket.

Who would ever think that a sleezy place like Pattaya would offer a better holiday product than Phuket? biggrin.png

Pity you can't swim in Pattaya and the beach is pretty poor.

Pity you can't swim in Pattaya and the beach is pretty poor.

True, but many tourists get the 30 baht ferry to one of the nearby islands, like Koh Larn.

http://www.kohlarn.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Phuket is more expensive by 50 to 100% compared to other tourist areas in Thailand, and by 150 to 300% compared to normal non-tourist Thai areas.

Care to give price examples ?

For sure some areas in Phuket are much more expensive than other areas in Thailand.

150 - 300 % seems a big exaggeration compared to my experiences all over Thailannd over many years.

Its very hard to do true like for likes..

Some examples here in chiang Mai...

I like going out to the sort of young professional Thai side of town for my early evenings drinks.. A modern hip large bar (thai style food to order) was offering 3 large beers for 100b.. How do they even buy them for that.. Theres multiple places that do beer buffets as much as you can drink for eg 5 - 8 to 299 baht. One was even doing hoegarden for 799 as much as you could drink 5 hours. Wine bars as ever taxed highly so wont be such an extreme, bottle of nicer shiraz was 1100 in the bar (they are probably only making a couple 100 on it).

As for food.. Seafood is about the same, tho to us that seems incredibly expensive.. Western is about half or under in cost like for like until you go up to the very top tier of wagyu beef or canadian lobsters etc.. The local Thais are eating increasing good 'sort of western' at thai rates.. Look at Wongnai (the hungry fat guy) reviews all around the country for a good gauge.

Apple soda 15b..

Ceasar salad 55b

Garlic Bread 35b

Pork Chop 78b

Spaghetti 68b

The menu prices are published..

http://www.hungryfatguy.com/2015/10/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%88-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88/

The food is well documented

DSC_2786.jpg

DSC_2744.jpg

Now I wouldnt class that at all as high end or even mid end.. Its thai made western at Thai prices..

But I think thats fair to say thats about 50% maybe even 30% of the price you would be charged at the cheapest eateries around Phuket for that kind of presentation and quality ??

For western made western.. This is the sausage kings 99b 'small' breakfast.. With toast and (instant) coffee included.. Fresh bean coffee 35b I think..

12039335_418062561721900_147963744256846

Not enough ?? 129 baht for

11811388_401024353425721_590360706265032

With toast and coffee..

Doesnt matter what you want to cover.. uber high end hotel buffets.. Italian.. Plain budget western.. Lebanese / Persian / Isreali.. Indian.. Greek.. Plus we have loads of hippy organic, whole food, health food vegan stuff too.. Surprisingly nice even for a non veggie..

To me Chiang Mai is isaan cheap, but has the option of all quality levels and food types.. It gets better and cheaper the more Thai side you eat.. Yes I put it at under half the price of Phuket or Samui. But we dont have a beach. :)

Some are half, some 2.3rd.. some 1.3rd is about my back of a cigarette packet estimate on costs.. I would put patts / Rayong / Bang Sean etc at about the midpoint between them both.

Sorry.. jumping in a bit late with an old quote..

Just pointing out.. it IS much cheaper elsewhere and you dont need to be talking noodles in Nakhon nowhere (which I like doing sometimes too).. You can be talking very nice western centric stuff at 100b for 3 large bottles of beer in a bar.. Or 130b for a decent enough salad, pork steak and an apple soda..

130b aint much anywhere in the world these days..

@ LivinLOS

That's a nice fry up for 129 baht.

I have a friend, ex-Phuket, who now lives in Chiang Mai. He comes back to Phuket for a week, about every 6 to 8 weeks. He gets cheap flights on Air Asia because he books well in advance.

He gets his dose of the sun, sea and sand, and then goes back to Chiang Mai. It's been working well for him and he's happy with his decision.

He often mentions how much more affordable it is up there, and no, he's not a Cheap Charlie. He moved for the more laid back lifestyle Chiang Mai offers.

Edited by NamKangMan

<snip>

I have a friend, ex-Phuket, who now lives in Chiang Mai. He comes back to Phuket for a week, about every 6 to 8 weeks. He gets cheap flights on Air Asia because he books well in advance.

He gets his dose of the sun, sea and sand, and then goes back to Chiang Mai. It's been working well for him and he's happy with his decision.

He often mentions how much more affordable it is up there, and no, he's not a Cheap Charlie. He moved for the more laid back lifestyle Chiang Mai offers.

I don't think LivinLOS could be called a Cheap Charlie. I would guess LOS also moved up to CM for the lifestyle.

<snip>

I don't think LivinLOS could be called a Cheap Charlie. I would guess LOS also moved up to CM for the lifestyle.

I did not suggest LivinLOS is a Cheap Charlie. I said my friend, who moved from Phuket to Chiang Mai, is not a Cheap Charlie, and did not move there for finacial reasons.

What I find amusing (irritating?) is the large amount of posters who live elsewhere in Thailand, and the world, who find it necessary to read, and post derogatory comments, on this, and every similar thread about Phuket!

You've made your choices ,and proclaim to be happy with them, why the continually stalking of discussions about a Province you despise?

I've lived in places I've hated, and resolved to never return (Jakarta and Johannesburg come to mind), but I don't haunt their local forums to give unwanted opinion. I really don't understand the mindsets of so many posters on Thaivisa!

Perhaps there's more to it than any will admit?

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull ,me back In"

On topic, I've no doubt some things in parts of Phuket are among the most expensive in Thailand.

Basic economics - market price converges at a point where the forces of supply and demand meet.

If you can't afford it, move elsewhere, and stop stalking, it's self destructive.

What I find amusing (irritating?) is the large amount of posters who live elsewhere in Thailand, and the world, who find it necessary to read, and post derogatory comments, on this, and every similar thread about Phuket!

You've made your choices ,and proclaim to be happy with them, why the continually stalking of discussions about a Province you despise?

I've lived in places I've hated, and resolved to never return (Jakarta and Johannesburg come to mind), but I don't haunt their local forums to give unwanted opinion. I really don't understand the mindsets of so many posters on Thaivisa!

On topic, I've no doubt some things in parts of Phuket are among the most expensive in Thailand.

Basic economics - market price converges at a point where the forces of supply and demand meet.

If you can't afford it, move elsewhere, and stop stalking, it's self destructive.

Sour grapes and a thin wallet perhaps?

I was talking to Mrs. SP and she was talking about one of her friends that travels between Chiang Mai and Phuket and her friend says that Chiang Mai seems to be half price of Phuket for most everything.

Phuket.. get out as quick as you can! If you want to live cheaply come to Isaan... but even Au Nang is better than Phuket.. in my experience touristy places are filled with opportunistic thieves.. what are you looking for?

yes alot of souless scammers and pedithieves all around patong , they will steal you shoes and tshirt phone money watever then hang out with you the next day hoping you didnt know its the.

im not talking bout just thais i mean farangs too. because its thailand there is lottle you can do aswell.

Don't forget all the geniuses who call patong/kata and the rest of the western cesspoll ghetto "phuket".

It's just like when you wait in line at a 2 lane junction and one lane is to turn and the other to go straight and a bunch of guys are cutting thus making traffic longer. Count them and count the guys patiently waiting. There's way more people being nice and respectful. Same goes with everything in life(unless you're in patong)

<snip>

I did not suggest LivinLOS is a Cheap Charlie. I said my friend, who moved from Phuket to Chiang Mai, is not a Cheap Charlie, and did not move there for finacial reasons.

Dont worry I understood.. I am here for many reasons, mostly I feel integrated here and while I will always be 'a farang' here I dont feel an outsider and theres not a them and us feeling of conflict (well immigration office aside wink.png ).. I also find northern Thais very much more friendly and soft, genuine smiles and easy to live around. Over time that became more important to me. Mountains waterfalls and the amazing nature of the north, dirtbiking the hills, etc etc is a big plus. Simply put, this place really feels home now.

Chiang Mai does have its fair share of more on a budget expats though, and that has an effect on reducing the ability of services to provide higher end options. Things like Indigo pearl brunch on Phuket are far less easy to find here. Theres some in hotels but that luxury end Phuket clearly has more.

I do miss the ocean every once in a while, last few years I head to Samui for our haze season or part of it. I have also found that living here you lose sight of tourist Thailand costs a little, I find myself sucking my teeth going "how much" when quoted 80b Thai dishes or prices near double what I see 'at home'.. Its just a bad habit you fall into.

Theres actually a few of us Phuket refugees ;) up here.. Many for the schools and for kids to grow up somewhere a bit more normal.

Edited by LivinLOS

Topic title... Is Phuket more expensive compared to other parts of Thailand..

How would you suggest we reply without comparing it to other parts of Thailand ??

I would hope anyone is happiest living where they are living, if they thought they would be happier somewhere else, then surely they should go there ?? I had many good years on Phuket (and a few not so good) and can clearly see that it has appeals, for me personally it also ended up tiring and had some downsides, but everyone has the right to choose what fits them, for a vacations, for a long stay, for a home.. Simply because something fits for one person or at one time doesnt mean that everyone is going to have the same priorities or that those priorities dont change. Theres no perfect place, only different balances that fit different peoples priorities.

How would you suggest we reply without comparing it to other parts of Thailand ??

I would hope anyone is happiest living where they are living, if they thought they would be happier somewhere else, then surely they should go there ?? I had many good years on Phuket (and a few not so good) and can clearly see that it has appeals, for me personally it also ended up tiring and had some downsides, but everyone has the right to choose what fits them, for a vacations, for a long stay, for a home.. Simply because something fits for one person or at one time doesnt mean that everyone is going to have the same priorities or that those priorities dont change. Theres no perfect place, only different balances that fit different peoples priorities.

Apologies, my whinge wasn't directed at you LivinLos even though it followed a couple your posts.

I'm well aware you were a long time resident of Phuket before deciding on a change, and your contributions here are always reasonable and informed.

My ire was actually directed at the idiots with little knowledge, and some sort of twisted agenda, who continually insult the place and the people who choose to live here, seemingly on every second thread.

Don't forget all the geniuses who call patong/kata and the rest of the western cesspoll ghetto "phuket".

It's just like when you wait in line at a 2 lane junction and one lane is to turn and the other to go straight and a bunch of guys are cutting thus making traffic longer. Count them and count the guys patiently waiting. There's way more people being nice and respectful. Same goes with everything in life(unless you're in patong)

"Don't forget all the geniuses who call patong/kata and the rest of the western cesspoll ghetto "phuket" - you have just described 99% of the tourists to Phuket. biggrin.png

Apologies, my whinge wasn't directed at you LivinLos even though it followed a couple your posts.

I'm well aware you were a long time resident of Phuket before deciding on a change, and your contributions here are always reasonable and informed.

ha ha.. You sure those were mine :)

My ire was actually directed at the idiots with little knowledge, and some sort of twisted agenda, who continually insult the place and the people who choose to live here, seemingly on every second thread.

Yes that seems to happen with expats.. Its like they need to prove they made the right choice and therefore others choices are the wrong choice.. Same with Pattaya haters, Phuket haters etc etc.. Different places have different problems (and appeals) its just making it work for your needs thats important.

Just to drag it back on topic.. Is Phuket expensive ?? That will depend on where its compared to.. Does it present good value ?? A nice glass of chilled white at catch beach club on a clear (non hazy :P) day with the sea breeze blowing, blue ocean out in front of you.. Well you wouldnt expect that to be 'cheap' would you ??

"Simply because something fits for one person or at one time doesnt mean that everyone is going to have the same priorities or that those priorities dont change." - this comment is directed at the individual's choice, and "life's timing."

I would also add, that not only individuals "change" with time, but also places. In this case, Phuket. I know Phuket has changed a lot in the the short 2 years I have lived here full time, and in the many years I used to holiday here..

The question is, has Phuket changed for the better, or worse, and if the latter, like yourself, how many more will move away in the future, regardless of their financial situation?

ha ha.. You sure those were mine smile.png

Yes that seems to happen with expats.. Its like they need to prove they made the right choice and therefore others choices are the wrong choice.. Same with Pattaya haters, Phuket haters etc etc.. Different places have different problems (and appeals) its just making it work for your needs thats important.

Just to drag it back on topic.. Is Phuket expensive ?? That will depend on where its compared to.. Does it present good value ?? A nice glass of chilled white at catch beach club on a clear (non hazy tongue.png) day with the sea breeze blowing, blue ocean out in front of you.. Well you wouldnt expect that to be 'cheap' would you ??

"Its like they need to prove they made the right choice and therefore others choices are the wrong choice." - exactly.

This is why I think many with businesses and property here find it hard to discuss Phuket for what it is now, and what it's becoming.

Edited by NamKangMan

<snip>

The question is, has Phuket changed for the better, or worse, and if the latter, like yourself, how many more will move away in the future, regardless of their financial situation?

Changed for the worse, says a business and property owner .... biggrin.png

Well, I've always found your comments balanced, LIK - rather than "one eyed."

I remember a particularly honest post of yours, some time ago, where you admitted that profits from your business were down. You never hear ANY business owner here admit to that.

Unfortunately, despite many running a good operation here, they are continually undermined by Phuket's BS.

<snip>

This is why I think many with businesses and property here find it hard to discuss Phuket for what it is now, and what it's becoming.

I know plenty of business owners (foreign and Thai) who all well know that business revenues are well down, with no respite in sight, and speak freely with me on this topic. But very few are Thaivisa members. Fact of the matter is that Thaivisa members are only a small sliver of Phuket residents and tourists. Those Thaivisa members with businesses and property, I see very few of them talking up Phuket, and they only say it as they see it ... the beauty of the island and beaches. Although I see many Thaivisa members from here in Phuket, rest of Thailand, and worldwide ... badly talking down Phuket.

I would guess more will arrive than leave.. Seems to be the trend of getting more populated year after year..

What I think is frustrating is so many of the islands problems wouldnt exist or would be solved with good governance.. The entrenched corruption and power systems.. The poor planning.. The theft and skim from every budget and tender.. Just feels like such a missed opportunity.

Let's just get a few things straight here.

Is Phuket one of the most expensive places to live in Thailand. It can be, absolutely.

Does it have to be? No, not at all.

I have lived in Phuket Town (Naka area to be precise) for the past 5 years or so and find it a very agreeable place to be. You can find perfectly good apartments here for circa 5000-6000 Baht a month (yes....... air con, cable, wifi included) & houses can be found for 7000-9000 Baht a month. Steer clear of of the expensive tourist & expat orientated places (Patong, Karon,Kata + the upmarket destinations), learn how to get around using public transportation and you can live relatively inexpensively.

I always here ''everything is more expensive''. Stick to Phuket Town & I honestly don't think it is. One thing to bare in mind is that you are only ever 20 to 30 mins away from the beach & let's be honest, most people don't want to go to the beach every day. I rarely go, but it's nice knowing it's not too far away.

I would guess more will arrive than leave.. Seems to be the trend of getting more populated year after year..

What I think is frustrating is so many of the islands problems wouldnt exist or would be solved with good governance.. The entrenched corruption and power systems.. The poor planning.. The theft and skim from every budget and tender.. Just feels like such a missed opportunity.

I agree.

Personal gain is put before critical infastructure for the majority of the population here, not to mention infastructure required by tourists.

The Thai military has been in control for over a year, yet, no real change to anything here.

Phuket has enormous potential, and it's just being p*ssed away by a few, for ther own benefit.

<snip>

I know plenty of business owners (foreign and Thai) who all well know that business revenues are well down, with no respite in sight, and speak freely with me on this topic. But very few are Thaivisa members. Fact of the matter is that Thaivisa members are only a small sliver of Phuket residents and tourists. Those Thaivisa members with businesses and property, I see very few of them talking up Phuket, and they only say it as they see it ... the beauty of the island and beaches. Although I see many Thaivisa members from here in Phuket, rest of Thailand, and worldwide ... badly talking down Phuket.

So, is Phuket's future bright, or bleak?

Sure, it may depend who you talk to, however, leave "the beauty of the island and beaches" out of economic considerations, and it appears you are left with the reality of the situation here.