is phuket more expensive compared to other parts of thailand?

Howitzer

Let's just get a few things straight here.

Is Phuket one of the most expensive places to live in Thailand. It can be, absolutely.

Does it have to be? No, not at all.

I have lived in Phuket Town (Naka area to be precise) for the past 5 years or so and find it a very agreeable place to be. You can find perfectly good apartments here for circa 5000-6000 Baht a month (yes....... air con, cable, wifi included) & houses can be found for 7000-9000 Baht a month. Steer clear of of the expensive tourist & expat orientated places (Patong, Karon,Kata + the upmarket destinations), learn how to get around using public transportation and you can live relatively inexpensively.

I always here ''everything is more expensive''. Stick to Phuket Town & I honestly don't think it is. One thing to bare in mind is that you are only ever 20 to 30 mins away from the beach & let's be honest, most people don't want to go to the beach every day. I rarely go, but it's nice knowing it's not too far away.

"learn how to get around using public transportation and you can live relatively inexpensively - you are only ever 20 to 30 mins away from the beach" - cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is, has Phuket changed for the better, or worse, and if the latter, like yourself, how many more will move away in the future, regardless of their financial situation?

I would guess more will arrive than leave.. Seems to be the trend of getting more populated year after year..

What I think is frustrating is so many of the islands problems wouldnt exist or would be solved with good governance.. The entrenched corruption and power systems.. The poor planning.. The theft and skim from every budget and tender.. Just feels like such a missed opportunity.

I agree.

Personal gain is put before critical infastructure for the majority of the population here, not to mention infastructure required by tourists.

The Thai military has been in control for over a year, yet, no real change to anything here.

Phuket has enormous potential, and it's just being p*ssed away by a few, for ther own benefit.

Yeah I remember thinking at the end of the 90s and when I relocated there it had, with the right governance, the chance to become a 'hawaii of the east'..

Is Phuket one of the most expensive places to live in Thailand. It can be, absolutely.

I have lived in Phuket Town (Naka area to be precise) for the past 5 years or so and find it a very agreeable place to be. You can find perfectly good apartments here for circa 5000-6000 Baht a month (yes....... air con, cable, wifi included) & houses can be found for 7000-9000 Baht a month. Steer clear of of the expensive tourist & expat orientated places (Patong, Karon,Kata + the upmarket destinations), learn how to get around using public transportation and you can live relatively inexpensively.

I always here ''everything is more expensive''. Stick to Phuket Town & I honestly don't think it is. One thing to bare in mind is that you are only ever 20 to 30 mins away from the beach & let's be honest, most people don't want to go to the beach every day. I rarely go, but it's nice knowing it's not too far away.

And yet you can get apartments for 2500 right in the city here (cnx).. Out of town houses are easily found 5 or 6 if you want to live Thai style.. So yes, once again it shows theres a higher cost.

Personally I didnt come here to live like that, not criticizing it but at my age I would rather just go make more money in my life while I still can.. People, especially Thais, think I am insane to rent a house for 28k here, but frankly I would think it wold be hard to find a home like this on Phuket for under 60 or 70 and my pricing mindset is based on 4 or 5 years ago. Its possible it may be 80 or so these days to find a substantial home this quality.

But again its value not price.. If someones spent years working in Singapore, Hong Kong or Dubai, (or ever increasingly Bejing, Shanghai, or any one of 10 cities we forget with >8 million people in them) or even commutes part time between those centers.. Renting a great big villa for the price of a condo must seem a steal. Its very easy over a few years in an island bubble or a Thai bubble to forget who your competing against globally, and it aint the local market and its surely not Somchai from Surat Thani even tho the surrounding country will put a cap on that inflation.

Of course there will be a form of tourism premium and competition for space with view and sea breezes like Surin or Kata will always add a fat margin. Does that margin equate to quality of life for you ?? Does the cost of the lifestyle offer value ?? And then finally, does other aspects of that lifestyle (traffic, over development, and the culture of localism which makes you an outsider even after a decade, but means a Thai non local who arrived 6 months ago is an insider) does any of that effect the value proposition to you.

For all the doom and gloom, I will bet in 10 years or 20 years Phuket will still be a popular place for people to go.. It will be more expensive.. It will be busier.. It will probably have morphed into something a lot more urbanized, and you can only hope that local authorities impose some basic essential planning so services like water and power keep up, but no matter what you do, you wont stop its growth. And I bet in 20 years time there will be people complaining about costs and prices rising, and business owners saying theres not enough people coming, and key money is too high, while still just about breaking even sometimes.

And yet you can get apartments for 2500 right in the city here (cnx).. Out of town houses are easily found 5 or 6 if you want to live Thai style.. So yes, once again it shows theres a higher cost.

Personally I didnt come here to live like that, not criticizing it but at my age I would rather just go make more money in my life while I still can.. People, especially Thais, think I am insane to rent a house for 28k here, but frankly I would think it wold be hard to find a home like this on Phuket for under 60 or 70 and my pricing mindset is based on 4 or 5 years ago. Its possible it may be 80 or so these days to find a substantial home this quality.

But again its value not price.. If someones spent years working in Singapore, Hong Kong or Dubai, (or ever increasingly Bejing, Shanghai, or any one of 10 cities we forget with >8 million people in them) or even commutes part time between those centers.. Renting a great big villa for the price of a condo must seem a steal. Its very easy over a few years in an island bubble or a Thai bubble to forget who your competing against globally, and it aint the local market and its surely not Somchai from Surat Thani even tho the surrounding country will put a cap on that inflation.

Of course there will be a form of tourism premium and competition for space with view and sea breezes like Surin or Kata will always add a fat margin. Does that margin equate to quality of life for you ?? Does the cost of the lifestyle offer value ?? And then finally, does other aspects of that lifestyle (traffic, over development, and the culture of localism which makes you an outsider even after a decade, but means a Thai non local who arrived 6 months ago is an insider) does any of that effect the value proposition to you.

For all the doom and gloom, I will bet in 10 years or 20 years Phuket will still be a popular place for people to go.. It will be more expensive.. It will be busier.. It will probably have morphed into something a lot more urbanized, and you can only hope that local authorities impose some basic essential planning so services like water and power keep up, but no matter what you do, you wont stop its growth. And I bet in 20 years time there will be people complaining about costs and prices rising, and business owners saying theres not enough people coming, and key money is too high, while still just about breaking even sometimes.

"It will probably have morphed into something a lot more urbanized" - i have said it before, as Pattaya became a city by the sea, Phuket will become and island city.

"It will probably have morphed into something a lot more urbanized" - i have said it before, as Pattaya became a city by the sea, Phuket will become and island city.

Not a chance. Phuket island and no part of it will ever become a city. Its a country island with malls. It will never be anything else

Not a chance. Phuket island and no part of it will ever become a city. Its a country island with malls. It will never be anything else

They keep building over everything "green" here, and also building on the sand. (which will come back when the next Government is installed) Building on National parks, building on the side of hills - causing landslides etc etc.

Rawai was just a fishing village, not so long ago - not so much, anymore.

Phuket is already facing overdevelopment. High density condo blocks and villas putting big pressure on current and failing infastructure, due to having a lot of people living on just a small footprint of land.

What makes you think that the majority of the island will not be concreted over in the next 10 to 20 years time?

Edited by NamKangMan

Those 6-9k houses in phuket town are nasty.. Sorry but living under a cardboard in the jungle is far cleaner than those houses. It's all good if you can live worse than an african that makes 10$ a month but its not for most dude.

Edited by bearpolar

I don't think it's that much more to live here in Phuket. Gasoline is the same price, food at the market is cheaper for some items, more for others. I suppose rent is more, but I've paid the same rent for over 10 years. Imported liquor and wine is more available and cheaper here. Yes it's more to go out for food and drink. But I have some pretty nice beaches less than 10 minutes away. I'm not comparing Phuket prices to Chang Mai as I rarely go there. I'm comparing them to Sa Kaeo prices where I visit our family. Motorbikes are cheaper in Phuket too I've noticed.

I don't think it's that much more to live here in Phuket. Gasoline is the same price, food at the market is cheaper for some items, more for others. I suppose rent is more, but I've paid the same rent for over 10 years. Imported liquor and wine is more available and cheaper here. Yes it's more to go out for food and drink. But I have some pretty nice beaches less than 10 minutes away. I'm not comparing Phuket prices to Chang Mai as I rarely go there. I'm comparing them to Sa Kaeo prices where I visit our family. Motorbikes are cheaper in Phuket too I've noticed.

"I suppose rent is more, but I've paid the same rent for over 10 years." - in my opinion, it's the commercial rents, from greedy Thai landlords, that have caused food and beverage, and in some cases, accommodation, to rise past what the western market was prepared to pay, or could afford, for a holiday on Phuket.

High rents are passed onto the consumer.

"I suppose rent is more, but I've paid the same rent for over 10 years." - in my opinion, it's the commercial rents, from greedy Thai landlords, that have caused food and beverage, and in some cases, accommodation, to rise past what the western market was prepared to pay, or could afford, for a holiday on Phuket.

Dont agree. Its the Farang and their willingness to purchase high overinflated priced villas and condos, and their willingness to spend too much money on property that has caused the problems. Its the Russians and French that have ruined Phuket by bring in dirty money and purchasing these properties. Thai landowners are "just following the money" not Thais fault but the white man's

Dont agree. Its the Farang and their willingness to purchase high overinflated priced villas and condos, and their willingness to spend too much money on property that has caused the problems. Its the Russians and French that have ruined Phuket by bring in dirty money and purchasing these properties. Thai landowners are "just following the money" not Thais fault but the white man's

How does a farang buying a "high overinflated priced villa and condo" effect the price of a beer and meal, and activities, for holiday makers to Phuket?

The hospitality industry on Phuket caters mainly for tourists, not expats, and this industry has been slowly outpricing itself, compared to the rest of Thailand, and certainly neighbouring countries, until Phuket is now where it's at, which is a rapidly declining western tourist market, and a big loss of revenue flowing through the Phuket economy.

The high commercial rents for the Phuket hospitality industry means tourists pay more to come to Phuket for their holiday, because the high rents are passed onto the consumer for goods and services.

The Thai landlords could get away with this a few years ago, but not now. They have finally pushed the market past breaking point, and it will be very difficult to lure back this market in the future.

How does a farang buying a "high overinflated priced villa and condo" effect the price of a beer and meal, and activities, for holiday makers to Phuket?

The hospitality industry on Phuket caters mainly for tourists, not expats, and this industry has been slowly outpricing itself, compared to the rest of Thailand, and certainly neighbouring countries, until Phuket is now where it's at, which is a rapidly declining western tourist market, and a big loss of revenue flowing through the Phuket economy.

The high commercial rents for the Phuket hospitality industry means tourists pay more to come to Phuket for their holiday, because the high rents are passed onto the consumer for goods and services.

The Thai landlords could get away with this a few years ago, but not now. They have finally pushed the market past breaking point, and it will be very difficult to lure back this market in the future.

Pretty easy to answer your response. Because the farang's spending here has driven up the price of land all over the island and the building boom that continues with no end in sight. It's Bangkok's cash cow and they are still milking it for all it's worth.

@ Jimi007

There may be some "crossover" of land values from residentual to commercial, but, to my knowledge, very few commercial blocks of land are "owned" by foreigners. Most are rented.

It's the Thai landlord's unrealistic belief in the yield of that land, via rent, that used to turn over new leases and keep the key money coming in for them. Now, it's just causing vacant buildings.

@ Jimi007

There may be some "crossover" of land values from residentual to commercial, but, to my knowledge, very few commercial blocks of land are "owned" by foreigners. Most are rented.

It's the Thai landlord's unrealistic belief in the yield of that land, via rent, that used to turn over new leases and keep the key money coming in for them. Now, it's just causing vacant buildings.

You need to get out of Patong more as that's all you seem to know about! On second thought stay there...

Edited by Jimi007

@ Jimi007

You need to get out of Patong more as that's all you seem to know about! On second thought stay there...

An intelligent reply Jimi. Befitting someone living in Rawai. cheesy.gif

Now, how about the effect of commercial rents on the price of goods and services on Phuket????

Edited by NamKangMan

@ Jimi007

An intelligent reply Jimi. Befitting someone living in Rawai. cheesy.gif

Now, how about the effect of commercial rents on the price of goods and services on Phuket????

Read my previous response again… You don't seem to see what's going on around the island I guess. There are huge developments going up all over.

@ Jimi007

"You don't seem to see what's going on around the island I guess." - I can assure you I see what's going on around the island.

"There are huge developments going up all over." - yes, there is, but what has this got to do with the price of the goods and services required by a tourists, whilst on holiday, on Phuket?

Do you think because some fool "buys" a house for 10 million baht, that is only worth 5 million baht, the Thai landlord of a comercial property doubles his rent, which is then passed onto the tourists in the establishment????

Edited by NamKangMan

@ Jimi007

"You don't seem to see what's going on around the island I guess." - I can assure you I see what's going on around the island.

"There are huge developments going up all over." - yes, there is, but what has this got to do with the price of the goods and services required by a tourists, whilst on holiday, on Phuket?

Do you think because some fool "buys" a house for 10 million baht, that is only worth 5 million baht, the Thai landlord of a comercial property doubles his rent, which is then passed onto the tourists in the establishment????

Apparently reading wasn't your best subject… I said that land prices all over Phuket have gone up because of all the farangs that come here. I guess you don't seem to understand that point… I'm done, you're like talking to a brick wall…

Edited by Jimi007

@ Jimi007

Apparently reading wasn't your best subject… I said that land prices all over Phuket have gone up because of all the farangs that come here. I guess you don't seem to understand that point… I'm done, you're like talking to a brick wall…

"I said that land prices all over Phuket have gone up because of all the farangs that come here." - sure, years ago. Now, NO property is moving, at all. Many have been on the market for years, yes, years - that's not an exaggeration.

Property DOESN'T always increase in value. I guess you don't seem to understand this point.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ Jimi007

"I said that land prices all over Phuket have gone up because of all the farangs that come here." - sure, years ago. Now, NO property is moving, at all. Many have been on the market for years, yes, years - that's not an exaggeration.

Property DOESN'T always increase in value. I guess you don't seem to understand this point.

Really? Property prices have gone down? I never said it would continue to increase, but it seems to. Some land next door to me was just bought, places I've seen vacant for years are now being used…. You have your opinion, which is wrong in my experience, but that's your opinion, not reality.

@ Jimi007

I would be happy to here your opinion on the thousands, yes, thousands, of properties that are on the market here, and not selling.

Of course, ONE block of land next door to you just sold, so that is representative of property sales on Phuket. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

@ Jimi007

I would be happy to here your opinion on the thousands, yes, thousands, of properties that are on the market here, and not selling.

Of course, ONE block of land next door to you just sold, so that is representative of property sales on Phuket. biggrin.png

Yep, you're right as usual, at least in your mind… cheesy.gif

@ Jimi007

NKM is always right ..... and always has to have the last post/word. He is very good for clicks/forum revenue.

The situation is at its worst in Phuket in terms of transport. You have two options, get ripped off or take your life in your hands on a motorbike.

You take your life in your hands with the taxis. Never been so scared in all my life with ride from airport to Patong. Didn't feel that I got ripped off as was quite reasonable expense for twenty odd minute drive, but the ride was out of this world. Hit Mach 2 on the way and no seatbelt available, not that it would have made a difference in a crash.

Absolutely, the most terrifying ride of my life.

You take your life in your hands with the taxis. Never been so scared in all my life with ride from airport to Patong. Didn't feel that I got ripped off as was quite reasonable expense for twenty odd minute drive, but the ride was out of this world. Hit Mach 2 on the way and no seatbelt available, not that it would have made a difference in a crash.

Absolutely, the most terrifying ride of my life.

'20 odd minute drive' from airport to Patong. Must have been Lewis Hamilton in a Merc on a F1 track. Regular taxi - at least 40-50 minutes at best.

@ Jimi007

And right statistically, of course. The numbers do not lie, but hey Jimi, don't let the facts get in the way of your posting. cheesy.gif

@ Jimi007

And right statistically, of course. The numbers do not lie, but hey Jimi, don't let the facts get in the way of your posting. cheesy.gif

What statistics or facts have you presented? Are you trying to tell me property on Phuket was not cheaper when I arrived here 11 years ago than it is today?