How to collect a debt owed to you by a farang living in Thailand?

amccbkk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2,000.00 GBP = 110,954.18 THB

Surely there'd be someone who'd recover that on 50/50 deal, but the likelihood of the conman still having the money to give is probably remote at best, and whoever would still have to cover the collection/bashing bill.

Nope... recovery is the original debt, plus the legal interest plus any justifyable costs incurred in the recovery.

The first thing is to write the debtor a letter with registered mail, then a second one, then get a payment order issued, then go into recovery, including all costs.

Edited by manarak

Well, that is the old fall back position in Thailand. Don't push him. He will kill you. I simply cannot live my life in fear of the Cretons. That is exactly what they are hoping for.

They are not going to get that fear out of me. Not gonna happen.

Soooo... That's what you'd like to have engraved on your headstone... whistling.gif

If its an illegal loan then it will have to be collected illegally.

Do you really think that TV members on here will tell you who to use to collect the debt?

<snip>

No I don't think that, nor did my post or any subsequent responses give any indication I was looking for that sort of information.

Well, that is the old fall back position in Thailand. Don't push him. He will kill you. I simply cannot live my life in fear of the Cretons. That is exactly what they are hoping for.

They are not going to get that fear out of me. Not gonna happen.

Soooo... That's what you'd like to have engraved on your headstone... whistling.gif

If that is what it takes, absolutely. Living ones life in fear of the Cretons is just not something I am willing to do. I will push back as far as I can, without putting the lives of my family and myself at extreme risk. Most of the time, the threats of the buttheads is bluster. Sometimes it is real. One has to use ones own judgment, without being cowed into absolute submission, as that is what the thieves, fools, crime lords and dicks expect.

First things first.

Does your "friend" have a contract of the debt, signed by the Loaner and Loanee and witnessed?

If he does not even have this level of documentation you can forget police, courts, selling the debt, debt collector or any other pseudo-legal means of collecting.

If he does, then he has some avenues for collection.

What does he have?

Surely there'd be someone who'd recover that on 50/50 deal, but the likelihood of the conman still having the money to give is probably remote at best, and whoever would still have to cover the collection/bashing bill.

Nope... recovery is the original debt, plus the legal interest plus any justifyable costs incurred in the recovery.

The first thing is to write the debtor a letter with registered mail, then a second one, then get a payment order issued, then go into recovery, including all costs.

Bad advice. Why? Because a guy like this cannot be pursued with legal remedies. What are you going to do get a judgment against him? How are you going to collect on that judgment?

In some situations legal remedies are the last place you want to go. A guy like this will only respond to pressure. He will find legal pursuits to be amusing.

Bad advice. Why? Because a guy like this cannot be pursued with legal remedies. What are you going to do get a judgment against him? How are you going to collect on that judgment?

In some situations legal remedies are the last place you want to go. A guy like this will only respond to pressure. He will find legal pursuits to be amusing.

easy.

following a legal process is the key in establishing your legal right to collect the debt and especially the amount of the debt (meaning including eny interest and legal costs you may have had in the process, as well as announcing further costs should the debtor not pay), which opens the road to debt collection / seizure.

So even for just 500 USD debt, one can easily collect 2000 or 3000 USD if these were the costs necessary to recover the 500 USD. Don't let scammers, cheaters, liars get away with anything.

Even for a 300 USD debt, if the debtor has a car, seize the car and threaten to auction it off if the debtor doesn't pay.

Edited by manarak

easy.

following a legal process is the key in establishing your legal right to collect the debt and especially the amount of the debt (meaning including eny interest and legal costs you may have had in the process, as well as announcing further costs should the debtor not pay), which opens the road to debt collection / seizure.

So even for just 500 USD debt, one can easily collect 2000 or 3000 USD if these were the costs necessary to recover the 500 USD. Don't let scammers, cheaters, liars get away with anything.

Even for a 300 USD debt, if the debtor has a car, seize the car and threaten to auction it off if the debtor doesn't pay.

Do you have experience with this process in thailand? What are the costs? Does the court assist in the collection of that debt? Will they levy a judgment on his salary or his home? That is my point. I doubt it an effective process here. Best to apply real pressure. The courts here are pretty weak. Edited by spidermike007

Imho a farang lending money to other farangs in Thailand must be plain stupid. Give it to your wife instead , at least you'll get "something" back.

Edited by balo

Not a chance getting the money back.

There may be a chance, but it's a very slim one.

For this amount of money, going through the courts can be ruled out immediately if you consider your time to be of any value.

Doing it illegally by getting involved with underworld debt collectors shouldn't be an option for anyone with a brain.

The macho nonsense that has been posted on this thread is ludicrous

I was in a similar situation recently, I passed the word that I would use a Thai to retrieve the debt if it wasn't paid , I got the money back shortly after,I will think carefully about helping so called friends again. 100.000 baht was the sum involved.

Edited by tamsloon

Lending money of any significance to a foreigner here is basically saying goodbye to it, but it is collectible through the right channels with perseverance a lot of it!!.

If the amount was 20,000 + I'd say go for it, but for 2,000 I'd let it slide, even if it is a matter of principle and learn a lesson.

You could always send for Dog the Bounty Hunter. wink.png

This is quid we're talking about? A hundred thousand baht? I don' think too many people would want to walk away from two large.

The sad reality is that if your naive enough to loan it, your not apt enough to collect without getting into deeper trouble.

Could even be a scam with your friend in France. Who knows why they are after the guy. Just dont get involved with this sort of stuff on foreign soil. You could find yourself setup with drug raps, all kinds of crap.

Don't get involved.

^^ Whenever an "investment company" was calling me, I used to answer "I'm glad you called, I'm working on a new project and I'm looking for investors" or any other story that goes through my mind at the moment but always I need to borrow money, can they help me. They are a financial company after all. They never call me back ;-)