thats some slide,great moves by the rider to grab his girl.

taninthai

No Surprise / No Accident

I've seen some Thai FB posts that present this guy as some sort of a hero for grabbing the girl's arm but, in my mind, I'm thinking "what kind of idiot put his gal in this sort of situation/danger" in the first place?

At least they appear to be properly attired which helped them with the slide.

As bikers we all make the choice to ride machines that put us into danger. If the safety bods have their way we will all be in automatically driven safety pods in the not too distant future.

But while we still have our freedom it's nice to be able to enjoy it as safely as strapping a fuel tank to the top of an engine and using it to propel yourself on two wheels will allow.

Strapping a fuel tank on top of at engine seems foolhardy or even suicidal.

Seems foolish to suggest such, Carl.

Best stick with factory installed tankage.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Super Corsas aren't terrible in the rain compared to other high-end sport tires, but there are much better tires for wet conditions. As has been noted, less tread (on a new tire- I'm not referring to a worn--out one) usually means more grip in dry conditions, but tires with more tread generally do better in the rain (search for a comparison picture of dry and wet track tires). The fact you're using track-day take-offs likely means the tires have been subjected to higher heat and greater cornering forces due to track conditions than they would ever be on the street, and are probably now somewhat hardened (due to excessive heat cycles) and are actually less effective than a new, fresh set (which is why the original owner sold them to you instead of re-using them). For a ZRX (1200?), Pilot Road 4's would be a much better choice for the riding you likely do, and will give a lot more than 3K miles.

Tread patterns are actually critically important for water dispersal in wet conditions.

Good point.

The grooves cut into tires are for water dispersal.

On pavement smooth tires traction as well a patterned.

Racing tires often lack grooves.

The Super Corsas aren't terrible in the rain compared to other high-end sport tires, but there are much better tires for wet conditions. As has been noted, less tread (on a new tire- I'm not referring to a worn--out one) usually means more grip in dry conditions, but tires with more tread generally do better in the rain (search for a comparison picture of dry and wet track tires). The fact you're using track-day take-offs likely means the tires have been subjected to higher heat and greater cornering forces due to track conditions than they would ever be on the street, and are probably now somewhat hardened (due to excessive heat cycles) and are actually less effective than a new, fresh set (which is why the original owner sold them to you instead of re-using them). For a ZRX (1200?), Pilot Road 4's would be a much better choice for the riding you likely do, and will give a lot more than 3K miles.

Tread patterns are actually critically important for water dispersal in wet

Edited by papa al

You know this is what winds me up the most of this forum people giving out complete wrong information ,forums are for people to learn things from ,you could possibly have someone going out buying supetcorza now thinking they are a good al rounder because someone who claims to be a top instructor and spent their lives around d bikes says they are good rain tyres,I seriously think that is one of the most ridiculous comments I have read on this forum,and the person doesn't even gave the balls to admit they were wrong

Because the big difference between Thailand and the UK is that in the UK the weather is a lot colder, often reaching down to zero and minus centigrade.

This is the Bikes in Thailand forum, discussing biking conditions in the UK would be better suited in a UK forum and not here. There's a number of factors that are different here than in the UK.

You know this is what winds me up the most of this forum people giving out complete wrong information ,forums are for people to learn things from ,you could possibly have someone going out buying supetcorza now thinking they are a good al rounder because someone who claims to be a top instructor and spent their lives around d bikes says they are good rain tyres,I seriously think that is one of the most ridiculous comments I have read on this forum,and the person doesn't even gave the balls to admit they were wrong.

I do not think he has balls anymore, that why.

I have used Supercorsa's for commuting my old Street Triple. I was always cautious with them in the rain, but then again rode at a sensible pace for the conditions. I was not so sensible in the dry though.

Current tyres are Pilot Power 3 on my MT09. Again commuting in all weather (apart from snow, which it doesn't do here in Singapore).

The Michelin's are good in the rain, bike has ABS, no slides up to now.

Edited by soihok

The comparisons as to how one should lean when taking corners is irrelevant. It depends on road surface and tires. And comparing a pro rider is like comparing chalk and cheese. A profession racer will use his body with his bottom hanging off the edge of the seat to pull the bike around while using the side walls of the tires for more grip. A decent rider is more likely to lean with the bike as was describe in the pictures on the first page I think.. Off road is a totally different kettle of fish.

As for tire tread, I have been surprised by the number of wannabee idiot racers while servicing my bike at Kawasaki who have fitted slicks. Asking for trouble.

Another quote from my Survival Skills friend:

No matter how many times they're told...
...riders still throw cash down the drain fitting too-soft compounds for road use, then wonder why they don't work. For example, on a forum this morning, a post on a forum reported a ZX9-R that ZX9 that "has been stood for a few months. Riding it this weekend the rear wheel spins up coming out of every corner even with low throttle".

People chipped in with 'helpful' suggestions. Everything from a "shagged rear shock" to wheel bearings to suspension linkages to carbs.

The rider's had the bike some years, so it's unlikely to be operator error, opening the throttle too hard or too quickly. There's only one possible culprit if the rear wheel is spinning. It's either the road surface or it's the tyre. It's the contact between them that generates friction that stops the tyre spinning on the throttle.

Other suggestions were more likely - that the tyre was at the wrong pressure or that the tyre had somehow gone off whilst standing - my own suggestion was that the part-used compound had hardened, something that can happen if tyres aren't used for a while.

So we got a bit more information. Turns out the tyre was fitted in May, and after 100 miles the bike was parked up, only to be got out again in the last few days. Apparently it slid coming out of bends in May and it's exhibiting the same symptoms now.

I would have suggested that the tyre wasn't actually scrubbed in properly...

...but for one thing.

We were told the identity of the tyre. A Pirelli Diablo Corsa.

And there, in one word, is the problem. Corsa. It's Italian for race. These tyres are really designed for track days but are road legal to comply with track day rules. Riders fit them because they think softer compounds mean more grip but on the road, of course now we're into the autumn, the roads are cold and damp and
as this particular person found out, they simply don't get up to the temperatures that are needed to get the rubber to soften up and start to work on the road.

Stick to sport-touring compounds if you're going to ride in poor weather. Strada means street. They'll stick.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/fitment#/welcome

Like I said I fitted the corsa because I needed a cheap tyre and when I got it up to temperature it did grip on UK roads.

But as a few trolls always like to point out, this is a Thai forum.

Roads are generally a lot hotter in Thailand.

But either way we do not normally fit race tyres to normal road bikes.

The comparisons as to how one should lean when taking corners is irrelevant. It depends on road surface and tires. And comparing a pro rider is like comparing chalk and cheese. A profession racer will use his body with his bottom hanging off the edge of the seat to pull the bike around while using the side walls of the tires for more grip. A decent rider is more likely to lean with the bike as was describe in the pictures on the first page I think.. Off road is a totally different kettle of fish.

As for tire tread, I have been surprised by the number of wannabee idiot racers while servicing my bike at Kawasaki who have fitted slicks. Asking for trouble.

Also have to account for the road conditions, Thai roads are notoriously sandy and in poor repair, unlike pristine race tracks.