PM slams remarks by an ambassador

Lite Beer

Don't forget that we have our own laws. Outsiders do not understand what's going on in our country

Although I can see that isn't the direction he's taking it that I'm going to bring it now...

....yes, I 100% fullly agree that I don't understand what's going on here. I. Do. Not. Understand. Traffic. In. This. Country. Oh wait...I do.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh how I wish this country had been colonised....maybe they would not be so xenophobic. Many countries, especially less developed ones, DO consult other more advanced nations on how to move forward. Thailand stands to be left behind in th ASEAN region. Noone likes a despot anyway. Leave Singapore to lead the way in education and technology.

No doubt in my mind that you are correct. In fact, I think Thailand should be colonised now by some Western country. Then they should throw out every person in government positions and instill a sense of intelligence in the country. In the alternative we could send them to "reeducation" camps for 20 years.

I don't like the xenophobic attitude of the Thai PM but he is right that this is Thailand and its a Thai right to govern their country however they want. I still remember the US pushing my country against our drug laws and now they are going the same way. Other countries should not be telling countries how to act.

Just look at the mess the USA made in the middle east with their lies and invasions. Countries should be let alone and sail their own course. Democracy does not work everywhere (if it did the mess of Irak and Afghanistan and Syria would not be so bad as it is now) We forced our ways upon them and look at the mess there now.

Thais themselves should be the ones to change their laws not foreigners.

Oh how I wish this country had been colonised....maybe they would not be so xenophobic. Many countries, especially less developed ones, DO consult other more advanced nations on how to move forward. Thailand stands to be left behind in th ASEAN region. Noone likes a despot anyway. Leave Singapore to lead the way in education and technology.

No doubt in my mind that you are correct. In fact, I think Thailand should be colonised now by some Western country. Then they should throw out every person in government positions and instill a sense of intelligence in the country. In the alternative we could send them to "reeducation" camps for 20 years.

Oh wow, just look how good a job people did in Irak and Afghanistan bringing democracy. Nicely done by the US and the EU can take in the refugees and pay the bill. Hands of from other countries let them develop on their own pace.

Okay now I'm worried about staying in Thailand. The situation is getting worst for foreigners. Bombs, lack of human rights, immigration rules changing, borders monitored and now this. Time to get out, before the lynch mobs arrive.

Yes, time for you to go. Your attitude belongs to old-style medieval Thailand which we all hope will be phased out after the reforms.

I will stay because the only lynch mobs I have ever seen here have been red-shirts - and since the coup, they have been kept at home because the people who pay them can't trust the police to protect them now.

Plus I am safe to walk anywhere in Bangkok without fear of a grenade attack and the only people whose rights have been restricted are those intent on taking things back how they were.

The immigration situation will sort itself out once the petulant egos have been satisfied. It's been the same whoever is in charge and always will be with the ridiculous Thai 'Face'.

Oh - you didn't go anywhere. What a surprise.

" Your attitude belongs to old-style medieval Thailand...."

You mean, as opposed to the progressive military junta regime??

"...which we all hope will be phased out after the reforms."

What reforms? I have seen a lot of talk about lottery and bike lanes but precious little about slightly more important matters like reforming the RTP and the military? Or, since you are a Bangkok resident and more enlightened that the styupid masses in the provinces maybe you could enlighten us?

"The immigration situation will sort itself out once the petulant egos have been satisfied."

You really shouldn't talk like that about the PM. Remember that we do not live in a democracy and that if you don't like it you can go home!

post-170405-1427077988058_thumb.jpg

Okay now I'm worried about staying in Thailand. The situation is getting worst for foreigners. Bombs, lack of human rights, immigration rules changing, borders monitored and now this. Time to get out, before the lynch mobs arrive.

Yes, time for you to go. Your attitude belongs to old-style medieval Thailand which we all hope will be phased out after the reforms.

I will stay because the only lynch mobs I have ever seen here have been red-shirts - and since the coup, they have been kept at home because the people who pay them can't trust the police to protect them now.

Plus I am safe to walk anywhere in Bangkok without fear of a grenade attack and the only people whose rights have been restricted are those intent on taking things back how they were.

The immigration situation will sort itself out once the petulant egos have been satisfied. It's been the same whoever is in charge and always will be with the ridiculous Thai 'Face'.

What reforms? I have seen a lot of talk about lottery and bike lanes but precious little about slightly more important matters like reforming the RTP and the military? Or, since you are a Bangkok resident and more enlightened that the styupid masses in the provinces maybe you could enlighten us?

"The immigration situation will sort itself out once the petulant egos have been satisfied."

You really shouldn't talk like that about the PM. Remember that we do not live in a democracy and that if you don't like it you can go home!

says the man who can only respond by using dumb memes!! whistling.gif

No doubt people will be reminded of the words of puppet master Suthep : " We don't need foreigners. I don't respect them";

Neither does "English John" based on the majority of his posts!! wink.png

Just look up how well liked foreigners are in your home country (and mine) and then come back to me. I hate those remarks there just as much as here but this is not a Thai only problem.

Rob, we are the foreigners, we don't need to look elsewhere, as it's not about our home countries, it's about how Thailand perceives us, and the Hi So Elite on both sides of the divide simply don't like, nor respect us, especially Suthep, after his derogatory comments ;)

Rob, we are the foreigners, we don't need to look elsewhere, as it's not about our home countries, it's about how Thailand perceives us, and the Hi So Elite on both sides of the divide simply don't like, nor respect us, especially Suthep, after his derogatory comments wink.png

No Haggis, we need to look how foreigners are respected in our countries too, and that is just as bad. Fact is foreigners are not respected in ANY country. Why should it be different here ?

Just because we got a white skin ?

I hate the remarks of Suthep and the PM but its not much different how people think about foreigners in my country.

Not only did the Ambassador not understand, but it is very apparent that some of the people in Thaivisa also. It is a problem with some some people want to make the country they are in be like the counter they left. Respect the country and it customs, culture and laws you are in. This is part of the problem in the EU, many new arrivals want there laws to override the laws of the country. If you do not like it plans fly out of Thailand also.

Absolutely, hit the nail right on the head. No external or outside interference should be tolerated "if any advice or expertise is needed they'll ask".

This will be a long process, I hope they don't make to many mistakes and always try to do right thing.

I appreciate and support the way they try to work things out and lay a strong foundation for a better, stronger and happier Thailand.

Way to go, I'm lucky to be here and I'm not the only one who feels like this.

Foreigners globally are never "respected" by the host Nation, the trouble with being a Foreigner is only wanting to know where love is!! biggrin.png

Yes it is, I would love respect but fact remains there are a lot of trash foreigners too. I also don't see how I could earn their respect as I keep to myself and do my own thing. But when I read about foreigners urinating on the streets I understand how we get a negative image. If you look at the average tourist in Pataya and how they behave respect is far from my mind.

So nothing has changed

No doubt people will be reminded of the words of puppet master Suthep : " We don't need foreigners. I don't respect them";

Just look up how well liked foreigners are in your home country (and mine) and then come back to me. I hate those remarks there just as much as here but this is not a Thai only problem.

New comers to my country and to many countries find them selves in a world of opportunity even if it takes the locals a while to get used to them.

There is little opportunity just exploitation in Thailand.

Foreigners globally are never "respected" by the host Nation, the trouble with being a Foreigner is only wanting to know where love is!! biggrin.png

Yes it is, I would love respect but fact remains there are a lot of trash foreigners too. I also don't see how I could earn their respect as I keep to myself and do my own thing. But when I read about foreigners urinating on the streets I understand how we get a negative image. If you look at the average tourist in Pataya and how they behave respect is far from my mind.

Ah but Rob, the difference between you and I, and most of the TVF members is that we're staying here long term, and not for a 2 weeks anything goes, and fek what the locals think, as 95% of them will never be back, so respecting where they are isn't high on their priorities, it's the same the world over mate, tourists who are only there on a one off don't pay much attention to the laws of the lands, and have at times pretty much zero respect for the locals.

Well when the dumb memes !! Actually says it better for a Dumb Ass Comment better to use the dumb memes !! whistling.gif

Well when the dumb memes !! Actually says it better for a Dumb Ass Comment better to use the dumb memes !! whistling.gif

That's the most I've seen you write in ages :D doesn't it feel good? wai.gif

New comers to my country and to many countries find them selves in a world of opportunity even if it takes the locals a while to get used to them.

There is little opportunity just exploitation in Thailand.

Clever Thailand, watch where Thailand will be 5 to 10 years from now compared to the situation as it is now and the rest of the world for that matter ;-)

What the PM is saying is fair. So what happens when all the outsiders leave Thailand?

Is this statement meant to imply:

1) Thailand wants outsiders to come and spend their money, or set up companies, help grow the economy, relax and enjoy Thailand. But if you are screwed over, or killed, too bad for you?

Or is it meant to imply:

2) If Thailand wants something from you we'll ask for it or try to take it, but if we don't, go away....

Or a bit of both?

and was it the RedShirts who occupied the aerodrome for a fortnight> Walking streets safely is always possible when certain elements take over a country,

Not only did the Ambassador not understand, but it is very apparent that some of the people in Thaivisa also. It is a problem with some some people want to make the country they are in be like the counter they left. Respect the country and it customs, culture and laws you are in. This is part of the problem in the EU, many new arrivals want there laws to override the laws of the country. If you do not like it plans fly out of Thailand also.

I think Mr Kent understands very well.

I respect the country I'm in, its customs and laws. Problem I have is with those who do not respect the laws, the majority of whom appear to be natives of Thailand.

"What I care most is that we should not allow foreigners to interfere with our country"... Yet didn't he say they should look at other constitutions for insight? I wander if this is the line he will take with his 10 minutes at the UN conference? The fact that foreigners understand exactly what's happening in Thailand probably concerns the General and it takes a special kind of person to refuse help/advice from sources because they are not local. It's the same kind of thing as saying £he doesn't understand, he's a Jew/fat/tall/ gay/woman (choose your own option here). Totally incredible attitude for a leader (any leader be it leader of a country or industry etc) to maintain