Chiang Rai Music Jamming Partner(s) Wanted!

johnhw

Hello,

Cdn old-timer, retired journalist and guitarist/bluesharp wannabe, interested in occasional get-togethers with other(s) for enjoyable jam sessions.
I'm no Hendrix & would describe my playing as a little advanced of three-chord rhythm stuff. Prefer folk, folk rock and basic Blues, but open to everything short of Rap, Grunge &The Bleeding Earplugs.
I'll be in Chiang Rai Nov. to end of March, and planning my remaining winters here until I croak.

John

Try Baan Don Sod...house of improvised music...they have a lot of jam sessions there...it's very near to La Vie En Rose Hotel in CR[/size]

owner is Jack who is very talented and is music professor at CR university...[/size]

thanx, will give it a shot, tho I gravitate more toward backyards, porches and basement recreation rooms than hotels and bars.

i

Wasn't it two years ago that a group of Farang jammers got turned over for not having a work permit in Chiang Mai?

Jamming, as most know it, means getting a few would-be musicians together in somebody's basement to break a few guitar strings and maybe pound on a keyboard to drown out the noise of the nearby furnace fan.

For this you need a work permit in Chiang Rai?

And I'm explaining this to an ex-hippie???

Don’t think you will find many basements to play in around Chiang Rai. If you are looking to hangout with Farangs only that could limit your options but if you can develop some Thai contacts they will be able to open more doors for you.

I met a guy in Bangkok who had been taken under the wing by some Thai musicians and was having a great time both musically and socially because of their patronage.
Welcome to Chiang Rai by the way.

Dont think you will find many basements to play in around Chiang Rai. If you are looking to hangout with Farangs only that could limit your options but if you can develop some Thai contacts they will be able to open more doors for you.

I met a guy in Bangkok who had been taken under the wing by some Thai musicians and was having a great time both musically and socially because of their patronage.

Welcome to Chiang Rai by the way.

I go to CR to get away from basements, particularly ones with running furnaces!

As for Thai or Farang, it doesn't matter, long as I get to play (with) my guitar, enjoy a beer and some good conversation. Went to a CR bar last winter called "Hangover's Corner" and watched a young Thai guitarist sing 20 or 30 well-known tunes in perfect English, 3 of them Everly tunes that I requested, and when I tried to compliment him between sets, I discovered he didn't understand a word of English!!! So I did Phil harmony to his Don on the next number.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm counting hours already and it's not even snowing