Border Run Alternatives

1 hour ago, 50BahtLeo said:

Thanks ; I got there around 9AM on Sat and all went smoothly but was a little different from my last time through. You now need to visit an agent before stamping out of Thailand - same fee and process but previously this function was handled by an agent near a small cafe after immigration. Not any more, it seems.

The new agent is down a small flight of stairs before Thai immigration booth - no signs and I wasted time lining up before being turned around by immigration to head back. You are then herded into minivans for the crossing and wait outside a makeshift duty-free shop while passports are taken into an office on the Myanmar side, then return in van to the Thai side.

Not sure if has previously been reported here.

A lot of construction in progress on the Myanmar side.

Thanks for the report. Been here many times now and it hasn't been the same twice. Always some minor differences although on my last visit only my passport made the trip to Burma while I waited on the Thai side ! Did the little stairs thing and the booth out back but as you say, used to be after getting stamped out.

20 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you don’t want to get a visa you should extend by 30 days at your local immigration office, and do the “visa run” after that.

Sorry for the stupid question but where do I get the 4x6cm photo for the 30 day extension?

And is there a copy service at the immigration office or do I need to get the copies done somewhere else beforehand?

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, apologies if not.

I am on 1st extension of non "O", marriage. Expires 2nd jan 2019.

Intending to extend again via 400,000 in bank.

This money will be in Thai bank by about26th approx Nov '18( delays in UK). So about 3 weeks short of 2 months seasoning req.

Did my 90 day report this morning in Trang and enquired as to best way to handle this.

Will leave out the sarcastic quip received, but told to leave Thailand, go to Pedang Besar, Malaya, and get 90 day non "O" visa and then extend that.

Can anyone confirm that this is the best solution? And what is the paperwork requirements for this?

No problem to drive down there, about 3 hours i guess.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks guys

Just completed a there-and-back-again at Mae Sai for my METV.

Happy to report easy-peasy. Burmese guys gave me the option of dispensing with the pretend to shop thing on their side and added both enter and exist stamps at the same time, then back to Thailand where no questions asked, no 20k baht, no proof of residency, nada.

Took 10 minutes from getting out of the Songthaew in Thailand to complete.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shootrrdave said:

Sorry for the stupid question but where do I get the 4x6cm photo for the 30 day extension?

And is there a copy service at the immigration office or do I need to get the copies done somewhere else beforehand?

You will find a photocopying service and a photographer on most high streets.

5 hours ago, Foxerjon said:

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, apologies if not.

I am on 1st extension of non "O", marriage. Expires 2nd jan 2019.

Intending to extend again via 400,000 in bank.

This money will be in Thai bank by about26th approx Nov '18( delays in UK). So about 3 weeks short of 2 months seasoning req.

Did my 90 day report this morning in Trang and enquired as to best way to handle this.

Will leave out the sarcastic quip received, but told to leave Thailand, go to Pedang Besar, Malaya, and get 90 day non "O" visa and then extend that.

Can anyone confirm that this is the best solution? And what is the paperwork requirements for this?

No problem to drive down there, about 3 hours i guess.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks guys

No it’s not the best option.

You could apply for a 60 day extension of stay in late December (as long as you haven’t already used this extension since your last entry). You don’t need to provide any financial info. That will give time for the 400K to ‘season’ for 2 months.

Then towards the end of the 60 days you can apply for a 1 year extension.

Elviajero, Thanks for that information. That is what i thought was possible also, but the IO officers (2 of them), told me" cannot do here", must go outside Thailand to get new visa.

I havnt used any sort of extension to the original extension, hope that is not confusing.

Any suggestions on how to politely change their advice?

Ubonjoe? Any advice.?

Thanks for responses so far

5 minutes ago, Foxerjon said:

Ubonjoe? Any advice.?

I you have not gotten a 60 day extension of the 90 day entry you have extended you can certainly apply for one.

Here is the clause of the police order that allows them.

image.png.e96d8a7205281713a03244b06ac6627a.png

58 minutes ago, Foxerjon said:

Elviajero, Thanks for that information. That is what i thought was possible also, but the IO officers (2 of them), told me" cannot do here", must go outside Thailand to get new visa.

I havnt used any sort of extension to the original extension, hope that is not confusing.

Ubonjoe? Any advice.?

Thanks for responses so far

If they won’t give the extension you could make a formal complaint. The problem is that extensions are not a right and offices do have a certain amount of autonomy.

I would, nearer the time, go armed with an application and all the required paperwork, and see what happens. It’s possible if you showed more knowledge than them that they just dug in and didn’t want to lose face.

Having to go out for a new visa is a pain, but a single entry visa based on marriage is easy to get.

Edited by elviajero

13 hours ago, Foxerjon said:

The rules are a bit confusing.  Another way to ask it, "Since you first entered the country on a new permitted-stay from a Visa or Visa-exempt, have you received the 60-day extension?"

I ask because many do not realize the count of "Only One per entry" rule for the 60-day extension starts at the visa-entry (or visa-exempt entry) which preceded their current extension.  Going out/in with a "re-entry permit" does not reset the count.  New extensions do not reset it.

If you haven't got one, then you still qualify to get one. But I did read a report of one office being a pita on these - only gave the guy 30-days after a series of back-and-forth. 

When applying, be sure to bring the wife on the visit, with a copy of her ID and house-book, plus whatever "proof of where you live" that your local office needs.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I have a plan - to fly to Chiang Mai from Utah, U.S.A. in January. The info. about visas online is getting more confusing every day. 

I have booked a flight to C.M. and a Guest House where I used to stay in 2012-3.

And I just booked a round-trip flight to Luang Prabang form C.M.

This will allow me to get a V.O.A. in C.M., I am pretty sure.

BUT I cannot be certain that I can get visa for Thailand in Luang Prabang -- none of the info online addresses this. Not interested in 10-hour bus rides or walking across bridges.

Can someone tell me if there is a visa service for Thai visas in Luang Prabang (I think there is no longer a Thai consulate there)?

If not, can an American get a Thailand visa - without going to Vientiane - legally, in Laos.

Failing that, does anyone know if I could again get a V.O.A. at the airport in C.M.

Thanks for the input.

51 minutes ago, MuuKondiao said:

I have a plan - to fly to Chiang Mai from Utah, U.S.A. in January. The info. about visas online is getting more confusing every day. 

I have booked a flight to C.M. and a Guest House where I used to stay in 2012-3.

This will allow me to get a V.O.A. in C.M., I am pretty sure.

BUT I cannot be certain that I can get visa for Thailand in Luang Prabang -- none of the info online addresses this. Not interested in 10-hour bus rides or walking across bridges.

Can someone tell me if there is a visa service for Thai visas in Luang Prabang (I think there is no longer a Thai consulate there)?

If not, can an American get a Thailand visa - without going to Vientiane - legally, in Laos.

Failing that, does anyone know if I could again get a V.O.A. at the airport in C.M.

Thanks for the input.

How long do you plan on staying here?

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry every time your enter the country not a 15 day visa on arrival that you do not qualify for. Each of those 30 day entries can be extended for 30 days at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

As far as I know there is no agent that can arrange a tourist visa form the embassy in Vientiane in Luang Prabang. Vientiane does not accept applications from agents. You could fly to Vientiane from Luang Prabang to apply for a tourist visa.
Edit: You could apply for a single entry tourist visa at the honorary Thai consulate in Utah. It is the last one on this list. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

Hello ????

I've seen that from 15th November to January, there will be unlimited visa exempt entries at land borders per calendar year.

I ve'got two already in March and May, then two in Don muang airport.

Can you confirm that if I make a round trip from Phuket to Ranong I will have a new visa exempt 30days ?

Thank you very much !

19 minutes ago, 1ricardsvp said:

Can you confirm that if I make a round trip from Phuket to Ranong I will have a new visa exempt 30days ?

I have seen that in 3 news articles but nothing from immigration about it yet. So I cannot confirm it at this time.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 1ricardsvp said:

f this would be a fake new, what would happen to me if i try to do that way ? Only get 7 days right ?

How many times in a row it would be possible to do that for me in your opinion?

Not fake news but not enough information about how it will be applied. Since it is to increase tourism it could have a clause in it that a person has to be out of the country for X number of days for it to apply.Or that you did not have two already before the it starts.

You would not get 7 days. You would not be allowed to leave the country at most border crossings.

You can only get 7 days to leave the country by paying 1900 baht for a extension and having it denied at a immigration office.

We came into Bangkok and got the standard 30-day visa on arrival.  We plan to stay 90 days and had intended to do this as we had before: two border runs from Chiang Mai to the Burmese border at Mae Sai, getting 30-day visa on arrival each time.  But I just heard from a friend that once again (like several years ago) land crossings are only getting 15-day visa or arrival.  Is this true?

i know these things get changed frequently so I'd like to know the current correct info so we can plan accordingly.  Thanks for any info you can give us about the current state of affairs.

Edited by anthrosciguy

57 minutes ago, anthrosciguy said:

We came into Bangkok and got the standard 30-day visa on arrival.  We plan to stay 90 days and had intended to do this as we had before: two border runs from Chiang Mai to the Burmese border at Mae Sai, getting 30-day visa on arrival each time.  But I just heard from a friend that once again (like several years ago) land crossings are only getting 15-day visa or arrival.  Is this true?

i know these things get changed frequently so I'd like to know the current correct info so we can plan accordingly.  Thanks for any info you can give us about the current state of affairs.

First, understand that a "visa exempt entry" (what you are talking about) is not the same as a "visa on arrival" which your friend might possibly be referring to.

At the current time, there is no problem getting a visa exempt entry (30 days) on returning at the Mae Sai crossing. You are only allowed two visa exempt entries when arriving by land in any calendar year.

My understanding is that there is no desk to apply for a visa on arrival (which does, indeed, allow a 15-day visit to those nationals that qualify, a different group from those who can get visa exempt entries) at the Mae Sai border crossing.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How long do you plan on staying here?

Yr. Each of those 30 day entries can be extended for 30 days at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

As far as I know there is no agent that can arrange a tourist visa form the embassy in Vientiane in Luang Prabang. Vientiane does not accept applications from agents. You could fly to Vientiane from Luang Prabang to apply for a tourist visa.
Edit: You could apply for a single entry tourist visa at the honorary Thai consulate in Utah. It is the last one on this list. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

ou will get a 30 day visa exempt entry every time your enter the country not a 15 day visa on arrival that you do not qualify fo

What I am not clear about is to get the visa exempt entry (I had that mixed up with VOA too) one has to have a ticket out of the country when arriving in Thailand for the first time.

That is the reason that I have booked the round-trip flight to Laos from C.M.

The Thai consulate in Utah has closed down - as of SEptember this year I understand.

So I was mistaken in thinking I could get a Thai visa in LP, but I think you are telling me I can get the

visa exempt entry when I get back to C.M., (that would be February, 2019) at the airport.

So, won't they want to see another ticket in hand for a flight out of Thailand w/in 30 days?

How long? I want to retire in Thailand. I thought the easiest way was to get into the country and start

making extensions to visa (and a new passport) and apply for a long-term visa eventually.

Please help me clarify things.

Edited by MuuKondiao
adding more details

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

30 days visa waiver on arrival at any airport for US citizens.

Don't sweat it.

Another 30 days from immigration for 1,900bht if you need it.

So, are you saying that I don't need the onward ticket (round-trip flight to LP, Laos) in hand when I first arrive in Thailand - Chiang Mai- ? 

so I could get a 30-day exempt status and then apply for an extension in country?

I am 71 y.o. and would prefer to stay there in Thailand until the end of time.

16 minutes ago, MuuKondiao said:
16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

ou will get a

The reason I decided to forego applying for a visa in the U.S. was that I don't want to drive one day to L.A. and pay for one night at a decent motel that costs more than one month at a g.h. in Chiang Mai if it is less trouble to just get a 30-day exempt at the airport there.

The visa application forms have a space for the departure date out of Thailand and my sources say that you must have a "throw-away" ticket out of the country when you land or a ticket for a visa run.

What would you do if you were in my place?

33 minutes ago, MuuKondiao said:

So, are you saying that I don't need the onward ticket (round-trip flight to LP, Laos) in hand when I first arrive in Thailand - Chiang Mai- ? 

Usually, immigration will not ask to see an onward flight ticket. However, when flying without a visa, airline check in will typically want you to have one. Sometimes, you can talk to the airline supervisor and persuade them to waive the requirement (perhaps, after signing an indemnity form to protect them from financial losses they could suffer if immigration deny you entry). Having an onward flight booked is prudent if planning to fly to Thailand without a visa. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

First, understand that a "visa exempt entry" (what you are talking about) is not the same as a "visa on arrival" which your friend might possibly be referring to.

At the current time, there is no problem getting a visa exempt entry (30 days) on returning at the Mae Sai crossing. You are only allowed two visa exempt entries when arriving by land in any calendar year.

My understanding is that there is no desk to apply for a visa on arrival (which does, indeed, allow a 15-day visit to those nationals that qualify, a different group from those who can get visa exempt entries) at the Mae Sai border crossing.

Thank you.  Looking at the Wikipedia page on Thai visas (which I wouldn't trust completely) I see that we've apparently always gotten visa exempt but thought it was called visa on arrival.  So it sounds like my friend heard correctly but that doesn't actually apply to us (a Canadian and an American).  So we should be okay doing what we planned, as we have before.

Well, that bit of confusion over the name of the thing only lasted about ten years. ????  duh.  BTW, do you know if the "visa type" stamped in the passports indicates this?  It says 1430, but I don't see that come up with any explanation in a quick Google search.

Thanks again for the quick reply and info.

48 minutes ago, anthrosciguy said:

BTW, do you know if the "visa type" stamped in the passports indicates this?  It says 1430, but I don't see that come up with any explanation in a quick Google search.

The "30" means you have been admitted 30 days. I think the "14" is a misreading. It is usually a Thai character. Is it hand written? As I recall, a visa exempt entry typically uses the character "ผ", but I could be wrong. If badly written, I guess it could be confused for "14".

4 hours ago, MuuKondiao said:

The reason I decided to forego applying for a visa in the U.S. was that I don't want to drive one day to L.A. and pay for one night at a decent motel that costs more than one month at a g.h. in Chiang Mai if it is less trouble to just get a 30-day exempt at the airport there.

The visa application forms have a space for the departure date out of Thailand and my sources say that you must have a "throw-away" ticket out of the country when you land or a ticket for a visa run.

What would you do if you were in my place?

You could apply by mail to the consulate in LA. See: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa.aspx

For a 30 day visa exempt entry it is the airline that normally wants to see a ticket out within 30 days.

To apply for a tourist visa the LA consulate also want to see a ticket out of the country which can be a one way ticket to a nearby country. You could use the ticket to Luang Prabang for that.

On 11/15/2018 at 4:44 AM, MuuKondiao said:

BUT I cannot be certain that I can get visa for Thailand in Luang Prabang ...

Hi! Your info is way out of date! There's been a coup d'état in Thailand, in May, 2014. New regime in place.

There never was a Thai consulate in Luang Prabang, at least not in the 10 years I've been an occasional visitor there.

I got an SETV when in Luang Prabang in January, 2013, thru an agent, which is what I believe you did. That all changed after the 2014 coup.

I got 3 double entry tourist visas in Vientiane directly after that, 2014-15, until the tourist visa crackdown in 2015. The 3rd such DETV was branded with the infamous red writing, which meant that I could never again get a TV in that passport in VTE. Also on that 3rd VTE visa run, local agents were also no longer allowed to appear alone on behalf of applicants. As far as I know, visa agents are banned from the consulates in Laos... at least for tourist visas. I also suffered the miserable bus ride from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai, and all the other trip-related inconvenience you mention.

But there is some good news for you:

1. Since 2012-13, both Thai and regional air travel is SUBSTANTIALLY IMPROVED and MUCH CHEAPER. Specific to your situation, in September, I got a round trip air fare from CNX to Udon Thani for about $20-25 USD each way... similar price as the old beat up bus called "VIP".

The departure time of the flights from Chiang Mai to Udon was too late to get you to Vientiane's consulate on time for same day passport drop off, so you'll have to spend at least 2 nights in the area between your departure and return flights. (I heard talk of an additional flight being added, but I'm not sure if it's in time to get you to the consulate in VTE early enough for same day passport drop-off).

At Udon airport, there's a limo service (minivan) that times its departures to coincide with flights arriving from Chiang Mai. The minivan will take you either to the friendship bridge (250THB), or to Udon bus station, if you prefer. There are also plenty of options to get you back to Udon airport in time for the evening flight back to CNX on your return. The earlier you get to the border after leaving the consulate with your new SETV in hand, the less you are likely to pay to get to the airport in time to catch your flight back.

2. You shouldn't need ANY supporting documents (hotel bookings, plane tickets, bank statements, etc.) at the Thai consulate in Vientiane. At least I did not need them in September... perhaps somebody with more recent info can confirm the present situation.

3. There's also a Thai consulate in Savannaket, Laos, which seems to have a good reputation among visa-seekers. I went there in June, but for a non-immigrant B. Still, the line was very small -- maybe 4-5 people there at morning drop-off, and about 15-20 people waiting when they opened for pick-up the next day. Both drop-off and pick-up took about 10-15 minutes -- almost as quick as the Thai consulate in Hong Kong. I also spent the first of my 2 nights on that trip in Mukdahan, on the Thai side, before getting my visa. I like Mukdahan, mostly because it has a wide riverfront walk, and it's not a tourist destination. So I actually enjoyed my Savanaket visa run. Perhaps not worth the substantial extra travel effort if you're going from Chiang Mai, but if you have any plans to check out Isan, you may want to plan such a trip to coincide with your visa run and go to Savanaket, since you don't like Vientiane.

I hope the trip works out well for you!

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

The "30" means you have been admitted 30 days. I think the "14" is a misreading. It is usually a Thai character. Is it hand written? As I recall, a visa exempt entry typically uses the character "ผ", but I could be wrong. If badly written, I guess it could be confused for "14".

Ah yes, you're right.  One is stamped, the other handwritten, but looking under a better light (boy, my closeup sight isn't what it used to be) it is that character.  Now that I looked more closely, I don't see how I got "14" out of the stamped version.  Thanks again.