Border Run Alternatives

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Savannakhet and Vientiane Laos will issue a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai without financial proof.

Savannakhet will issue a multiple entry non-o as well.

I got my last non-o multi entry based on retirement in Savan. in early September.
The counter man asked to see my bank book, which I did not have with me.
He asked for a copy of my last year's visa instead.
Copy guy across the street made a copy for us at no charge, and the consulate was satisfied.

On 9/18/2015 at 8:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

Thakhaek Laos. Bus or by Air to Nakon Phanom.and then a taxi or tuk tuk to the bridge.

I use this for in and out's,with several ways to go about it! You could hire a taxi from the NP airport to the Friendship bridge and have the taxi wait on the Thai side,while you hop through border paper work(1+ hour).

You could also do the taxi to the NP bus station. There are buses that run every hour to the Friendship bridge and back!

If you rent a car ,go to the Friendship bridge.Park on the Thai side and do your border hop

On 12/10/2018 at 4:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Savannakhet and Vientiane Laos will issue a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai without financial proof.

Savannakhet will issue a multiple entry non-o as well.

Can I ask a really dumb question - What's the difference between a single entry non-O and a multi - apart from the obvious?

Is the single the one that can be changed into a one year extension at Thai immigration within its last 30 days?

But the multi-entry simply requires the holder to step-out every 90 days, with no other action required?

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, RickBlaine said:

Can I ask a really dumb question - What's the difference between a single entry non-O and a multi - apart from the obvious?

Is the single the one that can be changed into a one year extension at Thai immigration within its last 30 days?

But the multi-entry simply requires the holder to step-out every 90 days, with no other action required?

Thanks.

With either a single entry or multiple entry Non O visa, you can apply for a one-year extension of stay. With a multiple entry visa, you can do this near the end of any of the 90-day entries the visa allows. The reason many choose the multiple entry visa over the single entry visa and extension is the avoidance of financial proof, and/or some hassle at certain immigration offices when applying for the extension.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RickBlaine said:

You can apply for an extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry either visa allows.

You don't have to wait for the multiple entry visa to expire before applying for an extension,

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

With either a single entry or multiple entry Non O visa, you can apply for a one-year extension of stay. With a multiple entry visa, you can do this near the end of any of the 90-day entries the visa allows. The reason many choose the multiple entry visa over the single entry visa and extension is the avoidance of financial proof, and/or some hassle at certain immigration offices when applying for the extension.

Thanks for that. I did wonder if the extension process after a single-entry visa would have the same financial requirements as a normal year-on-year extension.  

On 12/10/2018 at 9:38 PM, riclag said:

I use this for in and out's,with several ways to go about it! You could hire a taxi from the NP airport to the Friendship bridge and have the taxi wait on the Thai side,while you hop through border paper work(1+ hour).

You could also do the taxi to the NP bus station. There are buses that run every hour to the Friendship bridge and back!

If you rent a car ,go to the Friendship bridge.Park on the Thai side and do your border hop

May I also ask a really dumb question. I live about 50 km from Sa Kaeo.

I have never done a border run. The Cambodian option seems problematic with all the hassles I have read about.

My Thai wife wants to go to Laos. We can catch a coach close to the border. We book into a hotel.

Next morning go to to Friendship Bridge early.

Wife has a Thai passport, I have no visa.

I would like to spend a week in Vientienne.

Please advise on what I must do and I will never make a bad reply to one of your posts ever again. lol.

I hope you can advise me. Cheers( PS. All my Thai immigration papers are in order, it is Laos and Cambodia that I have no experience with)

I understand that I must spend at least one day (24 hours) out of Thailand to comply with my Non O multiple entry Thai visa.

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I understand that I must spend at least one day (24 hours) out of Thailand to comply with my Non O multiple entry Thai visa.

There is no such requirement. Officially, if entering Cambodia by land, you must stay one night in Cambodia. This is not a Thai immigration rule. If crossing into Laos, there is no such overnight requirement.

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

My Thai wife wants to go to Laos. We can catch a coach close to the border. We book into a hotel.

Next morning go to to Friendship Bridge early.

Wife has a Thai passport, I have no visa.

I would like to spend a week in Vientienne.

Please advise on what I must do

It is easy. You stamp out of Thailand, and get a bus (dirt cheap) across the Friendship Bridge. On arrival on the Laos side, most nationalities must get a Laos visa on arrival. (Your wife will not need this, but may be asked to pay an insignificant entry fee.) For the visa on arrival, it is best to pay with clean US$ bills. For most nationalities, this costs US$ 30-35. You can pay in baht, but it is then much more expensive.

After being stamped into Laos, you can get a bus or taxi into Vientiane. There are many decent hotels. As usual,  you can research using sites like Booking.com, Agoda, or Traveloka.

• Like 1

@Prissana Pescud

Provided your multi-entry Non-imm O is still valid (check the date on the sticker), you and your wife can visit Laos easily. You will require photos and $35 USD. If you don't have photos, I believe you can pay extra at the border to obtain them. If you don't have $35 USD (cost dependent on nationality), you can pay in Baht at a bad exchange rate. You will receive permission to stay in Laos for 30 days but you can turn around immediately if you wish (see below).

There is absolutely no need to spend 24 hours out of Thailand. This is an urban myth. Do not believe anybody who tells you. On your return to Thailand you will receive a further 90 days permission to stay.

I am assuming you have informed us correctly and you are not on extensions of permission to stay issued by your local immigration office. If so, ignore the above advice.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

@Prissana Pescud

Provided your multi-entry Non-imm O is still valid (check the date on the sticker), you and your wife can visit Laos easily. You will require photos and $35 USD. If you don't have photos, I believe you can pay extra at the border to obtain them. If you don't have $35 USD (cost dependent on nationality), you can pay in Baht at a bad exchange rate. You will receive permission to stay in Laos for 30 days but you can turn around immediately if you wish (see below).

There is absolutely no need to spend 24 hours out of Thailand. This is an urban myth. Do not believe anybody who tells you. On your return to Thailand you will receive a further 90 days permission to stay.

I am assuming you have informed us correctly and you are not on extensions of permission to stay issued by your local immigration office. If so, ignore the above advice.

Thank you.

This will be my first border run. On a 12 month non O visa issued nearly 2 months ago based on marriage.

AlI my documents are in order including TB405,000 in a fixed bank a/c. (Home book, marriage certificate and a multitude of other documents)

I must leave Thailand on the 22 Jan 19. Should I leave a day earlier in case there is a delay, the penalties for being overstay scares me?

The urban myth of needing to stay out of country was told to me by Prachinburi Immigration not one week ago.

I had mentioned Cambodia to them, maybe there are different rules for Cambodia?

You may understand why I am nervous, many posts conflict.

Thanks in advance, and cheers. (I am an opinionated Aussie if you have not already gathered that)

28 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I had mentioned Cambodia to them, maybe there are different rules for Cambodia?

There is a requirement for Cambodia visa on arrival that you stay in the country 24 hours but people do it all the time and charged 300 baht for not staying overnight.

Thailand has no requirement that must stay out of the country for 24 hours to re-enter the country.

If going to Cambodia do not use the Aran/PoiPet crossing. You can go a little further south and do the crossing at Ban Laem without a problem.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/7XigCExfGT62

37 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I must leave Thailand on the 22 Jan 19. Should I leave a day earlier in case there is a delay, the penalties for being overstay scares me?

Best to plan on doing it the day before incase of a delay. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Briggsy said:

9 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

The urban myth of needing to stay out of country was told to me by Prachinburi Immigration not one week ago.

It depends on where you are crossing. Thailand don't have any set rules, but the country you cross into might.

A ME non 'O' visa is -- under the visa system -- not meant to be used to live in the country, although it is tolerated. The Aranya/Poipet border seem to have a problem with ME non 'O' visa holders doing 'visa runs', but otherwise you shouldn't have a problem leaving and immediately re-entering at most other crossings.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 12:44 AM, Briggsy said:

90 days?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I want back to Thailand at the end of January and apply for SETV. 

My first question - which consulate is the easiest to get it? I prefer try in Malaysia or Myanmar. 

Second - which land boarder is the best? I mean no problem with entry. 

Near my visa story: 

I arrived to Thailand one year ago with SETV (from embassy in my home country) and no back to my home country all this time. My story is: 

- One SETV (2 months + 1 months extension) 

- Three visa exemptions (2 times extension): two times land, one time plane

Generaly in last year I spend around 220 days in Thailand. In October I leave Thailand by land and travelling to Cambodia, Vietnam (two times), Laos and will be travel to Singapore, Malaysia and Myamar.

Thanks for all your tips and advice. 

26 minutes ago, DannyP said:

My first question - which consulate is the easiest to get it? I prefer try in Malaysia or Myanmar. 

Vientiane, Laos.

27 minutes ago, DannyP said:

Second - which land boarder is the best? I mean no problem with entry.

Given your recent long history of tourism you might get questioned about what you are doing in Thailand, but entries are rarely denied anywhere if you have a SETV.

You should be OK getting your visa in Kuala Lumpur, Kota Bharu or Yangon.

If you get the visa in Kuala Lumpur, I suggest taking the train to Padang Besar, and crossing there.

If you get the visa as Kota Bharu, there is a crossing at Sungai Kolok about an hour away. It takes a while on the Thai side to get elsewhere in Thailand, but this should otherwise be OK.

From Yangon (which I like for a Thai visa) you can take an overnight bus to the border at Myawaddy/Maesot. If you want to get to Bangkok, Maesot airport is near the border, and flights to Don Muang pretty frequent.

Hi,
I got this stamp on the 4th crossing into Laos, at Vientiane. I want to go to Cambodia and get another tourist visa, to enter Thailand, do you reckon, I'll be denied a tourist visa, with the correct paperwork?
Another though would be to go to Vientiane and fly into Don meung, I'll get a Cambodia visa for next trip.
I know there will be an answer in the 1000 odd pages.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
TIA

image.png.7b256df41e8a5c99f9b871a9cb379974.png

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by ubonjoe
rotated image

8 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

I want to go to Cambodia and get another tourist visa, to enter Thailand, do you reckon, I'll be denied a tourist visa, with the correct paperwork?

With that stamp on your visa you will not be able to get another one in Phnom Penh or some other locations.

It is time to get a new passport. 

Having that stamp from the embassy will not affect entering the country.

• Like 1

With that stamp on your visa you will not be able to get another one in Phnom Penh or some other locations.
It is time to get a new passport. 
Having that stamp from the embassy will not affect entering the country.
Thanks Joe,
So Cambodia won't give one, but flying into Thailand fro Vientiane, will give me a 30day entry?
I got in a few days ago with the stamp on my 4th visa.
Cheers

Thanks Joe,
So Cambodia won't give one, but flying into Thailand fro Vientiane, will give me a 30day entry?
Cheers

P. S.
Sorry passport is Australia, and only half full or there abouts.
C

5 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

You could get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a border crossing (2 per calendar year) or by air.

4 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Sorry passport is Australia, and only half full or there abouts.

You can get a new passport. It does not have to be full or near to being expired.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Thanks Joe,

I believe you received a visa along with that stamp. The stamp does not affect the validity of the visa. If you fly back to Thailand with your freshly issued, unused visa, you will receive a 60-day stay. There is a small chance that you may be interrogated by immigration as to why you spend so much time in Thailand. The safest approach would be to enter Thailand via the Friendship bridge, and fly on to Bangkok from Udon Thani airport.

Applying for further Thai tourist visas is going to be difficult until you get a replacement passport.

• Like 1

I believe you received a visa along with that stamp. The stamp does not affect the validity of the visa. If you fly back to Thailand with your freshly issued, unused visa, you will receive a 60-day stay. There is a small chance that you may be interrogated by immigration as to why you spend so much time in Thailand. The safest approach would be to enter Thailand via the Friendship bridge, and fly on to Bangkok from Udon Thani airport.

Applying for further Thai tourist visas is going to be difficult until you get a replacement passport.

Thanks for reply.
Yes I did enter through Nong Khai with the stamp on the visa, without any problem.
It was for further tourist visas that I was inquiring about.
The stamp says "maybe refused" but that ultimately means No,!
Thanks for clarifying. I'll fly in to Don meung, I months time and see what happens!!
Cheers
Chris

10 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Thanks for reply.
Yes I did enter through Nong Khai with the stamp on the visa, without any problem.
It was for further tourist visas that I was inquiring about.
The stamp says "maybe refused" but that ultimately means No,!
Thanks for clarifying. I'll fly in to Don meung, I months time and see what happens!!
Cheers
Chris

Be aware that, if there is significant time remaining on your existing tourist entry, and you will be away only a few days you have the option of buying a re-entry permit for 1,000 baht to keep your existing permission to stay intact on your return. This avoids the need for a visa exempt entry. If you plan to spend a lot of time in Thailand in the future, you should use visa exempt entries as little as possible. Usually, immigration will not create problems when you use visa exempt entries very rarely (though they can). Immigration has a lot of discretion over whether to grant visa exempt entries and sometimes deny entry when (in the view of the individual official) you have been using visa exempt entries to "spend too much time" in Thailand.

Be aware that, if there is significant time remaining on your existing tourist entry, and you will be away only a few days you have the option of buying a re-entry permit for 1,000 baht to keep your existing permission to stay intact on your return. This avoids the need for a visa exempt entry. If you plan to spend a lot of time in Thailand in the future, you should use visa exempt entries as little as possible. Usually, immigration will not create problems when you use visa exempt entries very rarely (though they can). Immigration has a lot of discretion over whether to grant visa exempt entries and sometimes deny entry when (in the view of the individual official) you have been using visa exempt entries to "spend too much time" in Thailand.
Good to know,
Thanks very much
C.