Obama calls trio who thwarted train attack 'best of America'

webfact

Obama calls trio who thwarted train attack 'best of America'
NANCY BENAC, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The three young Americans who thwarted a gunman on a Paris-bound passenger train last month got their moment in the White House on Thursday — and they dressed for it.

President Barack Obama praised Alek Skarlatos, Spencer Stone and Anthony Sadler for teamwork, courage and quick-thinking actions that averted "a real calamity."

He celebrated them as three friends who had been headed for a fun reunion in Paris when they "ended up engaging a potential catastrophic situation and pinning down someone who clearly was intent on doing a lot of harm to a lot of people, inflicting terror on the French people."

The three sat attentively on an Oval Office couch and chair as Obama praised them as "the very best of America."

They previously had been awarded France's highest honor by President Francois Hollande. They showed up for that hastily scheduled ceremony at the ornate Elysee Palace a little underdressed, in polo shirts and khakis.

This time, Oregon National Guardsman Skarlatos and Airman 1st Class Stone were in military uniform, and Sadler, a senior at Sacramento State University, wore a sport coat and open-collared dress shirt.

"It's these kinds of young people who make me extraordinarily optimistic about the future," Obama said.

The three last month subdued a man with ties to radical Islam who boarded the train with a Kalashnikov rifle, a pistol and a box cutter. A British businessman and a French-American also have been praised for their efforts to stop the gunman.

As for what the future holds, Obama said Stone, whose hand was injured in the attack, is "making real progress" and intends to pursue work in medicine, Sadler is studying sports medicine and therapy, and Skarlatos, "as soon as he's finished on 'Dancing with the Stars,' plans to get into law enforcement."

"Whatever they do," the president added, "they're going to do it well."

After visiting the White House, the three were off to the Pentagon to pick up more honors.

Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James presented Stone with the Purple Heart in recognition of the injuries he suffered, and he also received the Airman's Medal. Skarlatos was awarded the Soldier's Medal, and Sadler was given the Secretary of Defense's Medal of Valor.

"When some took cover and ran, when others were unsure what to do, these three friends said, 'Let's go,'" Defense Secretary Ash Carter said.

Carter said their rallying cry recalled the stirring words of those aboard the hijacked airliner on Sept. 11, 2001, who shouted, "Let's roll," before charging the cockpit and forcing the plane to crash in a Pennsylvania field before it could reach its intended target.

It's been a head-snapping month for the three twenty-somethings since their quick actions on the train transformed them into instant celebrities.

In addition to their official honors, the three have appeared in a California parade, Sadler had a turn on "The Tonight Show" with Jimmy Fallon, and Skarlatos is "DWTS" material on ABC.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-18

I think there's no doubt that these three guys and the other two who aren't mentioned in this report prevented a massacre on that train.

The kind of massacre I'm thinking of would be something along the lines of the Tunisian beach massacre which happened earlier this year with one crucial difference, within the confined space of the train there's nowhere for the now disarmed populace to run while being chased by a maniac wielding an assault rifle.

I wonder what would have happened were Mr Obama was on the train witnessing the attack, would he try to appease

the attacker by praising his courage and religion saying I'm your friend, just sit there and do nothing like he did

with ISIS, or, draw a line in the send saying if you kill people I will do something about it and than dose nothing....

Obama's a <deleted> who is just cashing in on the publicity. Personally, if I was invited to the White House to receive "praise" or some award from him, I'd pass.

Well back to normal after only a few posts the negative one, maybe the poster jealous because he is maybe unlikely to ever do a deed of unselfishment and help others

The original poster is very much entitled to his views

Personally it is good to see acts of courage being rewarded, and lets not forget the lives saved

I wonder what would have happened were Mr Obama was on the train witnessing the attack, would he try to appease

the attacker by praising his courage and religion saying I'm your friend, just sit there and do nothing like he did

with ISIS, or, draw a line in the send saying if you kill people I will do something about it and than dose nothing....

Well I think if he found out the attackers all came from country A he wouldn't then attack country B instead.

Let us not forget that :

1. George W Bush did draw a line and attacked Iraq and this way opened the door for a sectarian war

2. the withdrawal of troops from Iraq was a treaty signed by G W Bush between the new Iraqi government and the US

Conclusion : until now doing "something" in the Middle East has been more expensive in lives and money than doing nothing and let them kill each other.

Obama's a <deleted> who is just cashing in on the publicity. Personally, if I was invited to the White House to receive "praise" or some award from him, I'd pass.

While I share your sentiments regarding Mr. Obama, in this case he represents the Office of the President.

To pass on this opportunity would be more along the lines of passing on the American people rather than Mr. Obama.

These gentlemen deserve to be praised as the true heroes that they are, and we deserve to be proud of them, Mr. Obama notwithstanding.

Just as I thought, it didn't take long for the right wingnut Obama bashers to show up. Get an education. Plenty of real reasons to dislike Obama and I don't like him, yours are not among them. Those men deserved the visit with Obama and we all should be proud of them and Obama for having them there.

Well I think if he found out the attackers all came from country A he wouldn't then attack country B instead.

he would bend over..

it looks total staged.....In France, where in Europe no one likes the US soldiers, 3 US soldiers on holidays stop the bad guy.

Not a retired french policemen, not a former Russian soldier, not a German wrestler.....just 3 US soldiers are on the right time at the right place.

Could be possible but looks too perfect for marketing.....

it looks total staged.....In France, where in Europe no one likes the US soldiers, 3 US soldiers on holidays stop the bad guy.

Not a retired french policemen, not a former Russian soldier, not a German wrestler.....just 3 US soldiers are on the right time at the right place.

Could be possible but looks too perfect for marketing.....

It wasn't just 3 US soldiers, there were other foreigners who helped subdue and then beat the guy unconscious. Of course these aren't going to go to The Whitehouse as they aren't Americans and live elsewhere in the world.

It's good to see that the US guys can actually beat the crap out of a terrorist and get commended for it.

From my time in the UK, IMO if three guys did that in the UK they would be the ones in trouble for attacking the poor misunderstood man, who was forced to be a terrorist because he had a bad childhood.

Seems to me that the UK authorities believe that someone in that position should allow the bad man to kill a lot of people and then the police can all come and stand around looking bored, and the politicians can make a lot of speeches about understanding etc. Perhaps Cameron could even send a tank to pretend that they are doing something, like Blair did at Heathrow.