Proximity of International arrivals at BKK airport to domestic flights?

mdlak

Hello,

I will be arriving to Bangkok (BKK) airport from the UK. I then wish to get a domestic flight straight away to the south of the country.

How close is the domestic flights check-in to the International arrivals? i.e. 10 minute walk? 40 minute?

I'd quite like to know how much time to give as it determines what time domestic flight I get.

Thanks a lot!

It's about a 15 minute walk from landing to Passport Control which is where your biggest time constraint is.

You may be lucky and get through in 20 minutes or queue for 50 minutes and then you wait at the carousel for your luggage.

Exiting International you use the escalators to the top floor and Domestic, maybe 10 minutes.

Why not do what I do and book right through to your destination which means only 5 minutes through Passport Control as a Transit passenger

straight into Domestic. Your luggage goes right through to your final destination.

I use Emirates from Newcastle - Dubai - Bangkok - Chiang Mai. The flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is with Bangkok Airlines but booked

through Emirates.

Best of luck.

Be aware that if you book your luggage right through to destination, you still need to allow enough time for it to be offloaded from one flight and loaded onto the next. Flights too close, and you will find that your luggage will follow you on a later flight.

I know because it has happened to me twice LON-BKK-SAMUI.

As the post above indicates, you will not have a useful answer if you do not indicate your final destination.

Some southern destinations are no longer well served from BKK and DMK has to be used. The frequency of service from BKK has been reduced on many routes, although TG has tried to maintain its connector services so that the heavy morning Int'l arrivals are well served.

I always clear immigration in BKK first before I transfer to HKT. I do this because the lineups at HKT immigration are notorious for the time required and for the shakedowns by immigration officials. I either pick up my back in BKK and check in again upstairs at TG or have my bag checked to HKT and pick it up in the Int'l hall.

A lot depends upon the historical arrival history of the flight you are arriving on. There is significant congestion at BKK in the early morning nd it is not unusual for flights from the EU to be delayed by 1 hour+ depending upon weather conditions. If it's monsoon season, the airport can be subject to a traffic halt if there are wind or lightening warnings in effect. It's never fun to be on a B777 that has just arrived after 2 AB 380's and 2 charters from China and Russia filled with PAX who did not fill out their immigration forms. This means that you can be stuck in line for an hour or more. I use a priority pass and there are days when I have waited 30+ minutes to be processed. It all depends when you arrive. I've come in at 2 pm and been through immigration in minutes.

It's never fun to be on a B777 that has just arrived after 2 AB 380's and 2 charters from China and Russia filled with PAX who did not fill out their immigration forms.

​Immigration at BKK has been pretty diligent lately screening incoming pax entering the Immigration queue for completed documents. If the immigration area seems really backed up as you approach it, check the other area on the TV screen at the bottom of the ramp. Other area is about a 4 minute walk.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

As for more concrete plans:

I will be flying from Heathrow, London to Bangkok via British Airways and am due to arrive at 9.30 am.

I then wish to take a domestic flight to Krabi airport.

That's good to know about booking straight through to you destination in advance and your luggage going all the way, so thanks, however I will actually be travelling with carry-on luggage only so that won't be a problem, and I won't have to wait at baggage claim.

I actually went ahead and booked a domestic flight to Krabi before that later replies in this thread came in.

I booked a flight departing at 14.15 via Bangkok Airways.

Do you think the timings will be OK?

Thanks again, I appreciate the responses.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

As for more concrete plans:

I will be flying from Heathrow, London to Bangkok via British Airways and am due to arrive at 9.30 am.

I then wish to take a domestic flight to Krabi airport.

That's good to know about booking straight through to you destination in advance and your luggage going all the way, so thanks, however I will actually be travelling with carry-on luggage only so that won't be a problem, and I won't have to wait at baggage claim.

I actually went ahead and booked a domestic flight to Krabi before that later replies in this thread came in.

I booked a flight departing at 14.15 via Bangkok Airways.

Do you think the timings will be OK?

Thanks again, I appreciate the responses.

4hrs 45 mins between flights? You have left yourself more than enough time. I would have tried for an 11:30 or 12:00 departure myself if they were available, (12:00 probably the best) but that's just me, as I hate wasting time hanging about the airport.

Edited by phetphet

Just to add that, as you're onward domestic-flight is with Bangkok Air, you'll be eligible to use their lounge near the departure-gate, free drinks & simple-snacks & wifi.

I find a couple-of-hours is generally OK for a connection, where I clear Immigration and Customs in Bangkok, then re-check-in upstairs.