Now need thai mobile number on arrival at BKK

Arrived back into Swampy yesterday as usual I had filled in my landing card on the plane and had the usual people look at it in the line before getting to immigration, a bit different this time as the IO also wanted a Thai phone number to go with my address and the rest of the gumpf, no problem to supply this but I am now wondering if this is a new requirement or if it is the usual making up the requirements as they go along,,,anybody else had this happen?

Yep your right, I wonder whether it is only for regular in and outs? if not it could be a naus if they are targeting tourists as well. I did not notice them asking others as well so might just have been the mega cheerful bloke I had having a bit of a power trip...

Arrived from HK into CNX last Friday. No one including me was asked for a 'phone number. I think like many things immigration related here in Thailand, it's just arbitrary' enforcement'.

When I came through at BKK, everyone had to provide a number. They would not allow you to get in the immigration desk lines until you wrote it on your arrival card. It could be specific to BKK, but if they're still doing it at now (three weeks after I arrived), it might be something at least semi-permanent there.

It was not needed by the girls in the line checking the cards so that is why I was wondering if it is just specifically if you have a Thai address rather than an hotel or something?

Possibly. You can never really be sure of the method to the madness around here. My husband and a friend are arriving for vacation next month. I'm just giving them my number to use in case they're asked.

There was mention of this in the Swampy airport forum yesterday. The original poster said they asked for a contact number in Thailand. They wanted the number written on the arrival card.

Some were asked for a number and others not. One poster mentioned they asked him to provide his overseas home number as he didn't have a Thai number.

There was mention of this in the Swampy airport forum yesterday. The original poster said they asked for a contact number in Thailand. They wanted the number written on the arrival card.

Some were asked for a number and others not. One poster mentioned they asked him to provide his overseas home number as he didn't have a Thai number.

Sounds like maybe it is a new requirement then, maybe a bit more fallout from the present issues with in and out visa's but at least if they are allowing foreign numbers should be fairly painless other than the usual having to wait while people have to fill in extra bits at the counter...

• Like 1

Sounds like maybe it is a new requirement then, maybe a bit more fallout from the present issues with in and out visa's but at least if they are allowing foreign numbers should be fairly painless other than the usual having to wait while people have to fill in extra bits at the counter...

It's a completely pointless exercise, as is the address fiasco. Not just in Thailand but most places where it's required.

It is never checked for either authenticity or accuracy and anyone who is up to no good will provide false data anyway.

• Like 1

I can confirm this is true.

My wife and I flew back to Swampy from UK two weeks ago and I was asked for my mobile number.

Correction: The immigration guy asked my wife if the "farang has a mobile phone number".

He never spoke to me.

Immigration guy then wrote down my mobile number on the white entry slip

It's a completely pointless exercise, as is the address fiasco. Not just in Thailand but most places where it's required.

It is never checked for either authenticity or accuracy and anyone who is up to no good will provide false data anyway.

Asking for a mobile phone number (or just a fixed line phone number) is really no big deal whatsoever. On Australian incoming passenger cards, you are expected to provide a phone number of some sort too.

Nearly everyone has a mobile number these days. If you are a first time tourist, put down your home or mobile number back home. Or you could always make one up. Or that of your friends/contacts/hotel whatever.

Asking for a mobile phone number (or just a fixed line phone number) is really no big deal whatsoever. On Australian incoming passenger cards, you are expected to provide a phone number of some sort too.

Nearly everyone has a mobile number these days. If you are a first time tourist, put down your home or mobile number back home. Or you could always make one up. Or that of your friends/contacts/hotel whatever.

Yep already worked that out and know different countries have different rules and its no big deal but I have been coming in and out of BKK for 15 years and this is new and there is no place on the form for you to fill in the phone number

Apparently, as per usual, different people are doing different things and what does take time is if you have people that don't know a number then while at the counter start looking through phones or papers to find a number, what would make sense is to have information telling passengers about this rather than waiting till they are at the counter then asking for it but I am a realist so wont hold my breath...

I see no issue with providing your own number from home. Immigration know the minute you leave home via manifest lists and immigration in Thailand are obviously aware.

Providing home number is nothing more than would take 5 minutes to acquire anyway

If it is a new requirement or @ trial stage, it is a good idea, however tourists booking into a hotel say Montien BKK, would only need to put the hotel name in, surely Thai immigration could ring that hotel if required , another grand trumped up idea , one thing about Thai immigration they are inconsistent , but even that's consistent

It was not needed by the girls in the line checking the cards so that is why I was wondering if it is just specifically if you have a Thai address rather than an hotel or something?

Possibly. You can never really be sure of the method to the madness around here. My husband and a friend are arriving for vacation next month. I'm just giving them my number to use in case they're asked.

Or they could just write down a random 10 digit number starting with zero.

• Like 1

I arrived at Suvarnabhumi two days ago and had one 30 day exempt plus 30 day extension in my passport. Then out of Thailand 6.5 weeks.

I ticked the option appartment and filled in the appartment name and street address.

Nobody asked for my number. And the immigration officer did not ask me anything at all. Just stamped me in.

To those that supplied a number

Did they call it to test.....?

I'm guessing not, so write down a random number.

Another infallible security check thumbsup.gif

Your right, no checks just more writing......

Thailand phone nrs.= 10 digits.

Mobile nrs.

08xx xxx xxx

Landline Bangkok

02xx xxx xxx

Edited by Khunangkaro