Now need thai mobile number on arrival at BKK

To those that supplied a number

Did they call it to test.....?

I'm guessing not, so write down a random number.

Another infallible security check thumbsup.gif

Advocating such behavior is an option with little consequence for the person advising others to do so.

I leave it to others to decide which path to take...Truth or Consequences is not just a town in New Mexico, USA..

• Like 1

Not prudent advice IMO. What if they do check randomly? It may not be a big deal for tourists, but if you're on a "retirement visa" it could be a problem. Why risk it?

• Like 2

Your right, no checks just more writing......

Thailand phone nrs.= 10 digits.

Mobile nrs.

08xx xxx xxx

Landline Bangkok

02xx xxx xxx

LOL> if you're trying to be smart, why not get the number of digits right?

Landlines in Bangkok and elsewhere have 9 digits.

yes I was asked for my thai contact ph no when I arrived here to which I replied I didn't have one. They then said your overseas one, I gave them the dial a prayer pho no for Sydney Aust which seemed to suffice. Stupidity in a Thai context seems positively endless.

Well they'll be getting my English Number like it or not as Thai one has expired/dead/is no more. Deliberately giving a wrong number seems a little stupid. If by some chance in a million someone engages 1st Gear and actually rings you, they might just take the view you have something to hide with a non existant number

On my last arrival (early August), I was asked for my telephone number which the immigration officer wrote on the arrival card.

After searching on his terminal, he also told me that my Thai address (which I had written on the card), didn't exist. I showed him my Thai driving licence, he did some more searching, found whatever it was he was after and finally stamped my entry.

This was at the fast-track/VIP area at Swampy.

yes I was asked for my thai contact ph no when I arrived here to which I replied I didn't have one. They then said your overseas one, I gave them the dial a prayer pho no for Sydney Aust which seemed to suffice. Stupidity in a Thai context seems positively endless.

You carry the >dial a prayer phone number< with you? Just in case or what?

I don't give my number out to anyone apart from friends.

I'd certainly not give it to a Thai Immigration Officer.

Too many idiots calling trying to unlock pensions and all the malarky.

So what do you say to the Thai Immigration Officer who asks for it?

Are you seriously that paranoid? I've given my cell number to Thai Immigration Officers for the last 10 years and no one from that office has ever called.

If it was ever required by Thai Immigration and they discovered you've given them a fake number they would have a reason to arrest you as you sign a document stating that the information given is true. Now that all SIM cards are to be registered by passport number, they can soon find out if you're lying.

• Like 1

Are you seriously that paranoid? I've given my cell number to Thai Immigration Officers for the last 10 years and no one from that office has ever called.

If it was ever required by Thai Immigration and they discovered you've given them a fake number they would have a reason to arrest you as you sign a document stating that the information given is true. Now that all SIM cards are to be registered by passport number, they can soon find out if you're lying.

Being asked for a phone number does not mean one must have a registered phone number and does not mean one is lying if provides any number where you prefers to be reached. And a tourists would have not have one. So, no reason to arrest and no reason to scaremonger.

Being asked for a phone number does not mean one must have a registered phone number and does not mean one is lying if provides any number where you prefers to be reached. And a tourists would have not have one. So, no reason to arrest and no reason to scaremonger.

Are you suggesting that it's OK to give fake phone numbers?

It would be reasonably easy to find out if a fake number or wrong number was intentionally given even if it was not registered to the person... which is what I'm actually talking about. i.e. fake phone numbers, not genuine numbers where the person can be contacted.

A tourist would be expected to give the Thai phone number of the place where they intend to stay - that's pretty standard practice when entering many countries.

Just because no one we've heard from has had any phone calls doesn't mean they may not do random checks.

I wonder what all the fuss is about. Just give them your phone number. If you have nothing to hide, why would it be a concern? I've never been shy about providing my real phone number.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Wasn't there a recent thread about someone getting unsolicited boiler-room type calls, and the author suggested it was related to telephone number registration. Well here is another potential source, perhaps there is money in selling active telephone numbers of foreigners residing in Thailand.

who's going to check? And what if you simply don't answer if they do check (they wont) which I've learned to do over the years for numbers I don't recognise. Will they geolocate you? Will 2 thai cops on a fino sweep in and arrest you? Give me a break. Its useless paperwork.

Wasn't there a recent thread about someone getting unsolicited boiler-room type calls, and the author suggested it was related to telephone number registration. Well here is another potential source, perhaps there is money in selling active telephone numbers of foreigners residing in Thailand.

You are 100% correct. I use a catchall email address to identify the source of potential spam. I get real estate offerings on a unique email I used when registering for a certain govt website. If anything, these phone numbers will be sold.

• Like 1

It was not needed by the girls in the line checking the cards so that is why I was wondering if it is just specifically if you have a Thai address rather than an hotel or something?

Possibly. You can never really be sure of the method to the madness around here. My husband and a friend are arriving for vacation next month. I'm just giving them my number to use in case they're asked.

Or they could just write down a random 10 digit number starting with zero.

So you start your visit to Thailand with a lie.Why lie when you don't have to.You think they wont let you in because you dont have a phone number.Now that would be a real story.

• Like 1

You dont have to give a fake number, just make a few "mistakes" with number, your number has a few numbers switched around.....solly boss make mistake.....silly grin

Easy....happens everyday

Before machine readible PP if you didnt want immigration to have a copy of your pp number on a landing card, not related to Thailand specifically.....switch a few numbers around on your PP number on the form, will pass a cursory inspection

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Strangely enough, I haven't received a single telemarketing call on my cell since the day I registered my sim. I used to get at least 3 or 4 robocalls per week. No clue if if the two are related, but if so, I'm happy to have registered. biggrin.png

• Like 1

who's going to check? And what if you simply don't answer if they do check (they wont) which I've learned to do over the years for numbers I don't recognise. Will they geolocate you? Will 2 thai cops on a fino sweep in and arrest you? Give me a break. Its useless paperwork.

They're probably just as irritated having to ask for it as some of us are to give it out.

But if I were a IO, I'd make it a point to screw with anyone who made a mockery of my job. Like a little note in the computer to tag someone for "special screening" on departure if their phone number was 123456789, or 555-555-555.

Why risk future trouble over something as piddly as a contact number?

Edited by impulse

Yes I'm paranoid and no I still wont give anyone my phone number.

You have to be a special VIP to get my number.

Get arrested for giving a false number??? get a grip cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

My SIM's registered in my wife's name anyway.

• Like 1

Strangely enough, I haven't received a single telemarketing call on my cell since the day I registered my sim. I used to get at least 3 or 4 robocalls per week. No clue if if the two are related, but if so, I'm happy to have registered. biggrin.png

Ive had several people call me asking if I want to unlock a pension. I just tell them to go F themselves.

Perhaps if the Immigration bosses got their collective heads together and actually confirmed what the rules really are instead of making them up as they go and then letting people know what the rules are. There seems to be a new 'rule' presented here each week and it seems painfully obvious that the Immigration department couldn't find its arse with its hands.

If people know what the rules are according to the law then they'll abide by that. Apparently that just doesn't equate with those at the top so to them it seems to be just a game of making it up as you go.

BobA - relaxed in Lampang