Now need thai mobile number on arrival at BKK

To those that supplied a number

Did they call it to test.....?

I'm guessing not, so write down a random number.

Another infallible security check thumbsup.gif

Your right, no checks just more writing......

Thailand phone nrs.= 10 digits.

Mobile nrs.

08xx xxx xxx

Landline Bangkok

02xx xxx xxx

LOL> if you're trying to be smart, why not get the number of digits right?

Landlines in Bangkok and elsewhere have 9 digits.

Sorry, yes. Thanks for your comment.

I should have read first:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Thailand

Edited by Khunangkaro

I don't give my number out to anyone apart from friends.

I'd certainly not give it to a Thai Immigration Officer.

Too many idiots calling trying to unlock pensions and all the malarky.

So what do you say to the Thai Immigration Officer who asks for it?

Are you seriously that paranoid? I've given my cell number to Thai Immigration Officers for the last 10 years and no one from that office has ever called.

If it was ever required by Thai Immigration and they discovered you've given them a fake number they would have a reason to arrest you as you sign a document stating that the information given is true. Now that all SIM cards are to be registered by passport number, they can soon find out if you're lying.

You dont have to give a fake number, just make a few "mistakes" with number, your number has a few numbers switched around.....solly boss make mistake.....silly grin

Easy....happens everyday

Before machine readible PP if you didnt want immigration to have a copy of your pp number on a landing card, not related to Thailand specifically.....switch a few numbers around on your PP number on the form, will pass a cursory inspection

You missed my point.... Why are people so paranoid about giving the real number? Why do you and many others feel the necessity to give fake numbers?

Legally speaking, if you give the wrong number on a form you signed as being accurate, you've broken the law. Sure you could maybe weasel your way out by saying you made a mistake...

My SIM's registered in my wife's name anyway.

It doesn't matter who the SIM is registered to. If you are giving a number as your contact number, you've given them the correct number as they can reach you on that number. If a tourist gives the number of a guest house or hotel where they stay, it's still a contact number.

I take it you are giving them your wife's real number, so good on you. No need to continue here...

I don't get this thread. I am in and out of thailand every week. Have never been asked or have noticed any counter asking. Must admit .this is Don mueang. Also any number could be provided. I regard this as spurious post.

I don't give my number out to anyone apart from friends.

I'd certainly not give it to a Thai Immigration Officer.

Too many idiots calling trying to unlock pensions and all the malarky.

So what do you say to the Thai Immigration Officer who asks for it?

Are you seriously that paranoid? I've given my cell number to Thai Immigration Officers for the last 10 years and no one from that office has ever called.

If it was ever required by Thai Immigration and they discovered you've given them a fake number they would have a reason to arrest you as you sign a document stating that the information given is true. Now that all SIM cards are to be registered by passport number, they can soon find out if you're lying.

You dont have to give a fake number, just make a few "mistakes" with number, your number has a few numbers switched around.....solly boss make mistake.....silly grin

Easy....happens everyday

Before machine readible PP if you didnt want immigration to have a copy of your pp number on a landing card, not related to Thailand specifically.....switch a few numbers around on your PP number on the form, will pass a cursory inspection

You missed my point.... Why are people so paranoid about giving the real number? Why do you and many others feel the necessity to give fake numbers?

Legally speaking, if you give the wrong number on a form you signed as being accurate, you've broken the law. Sure you could maybe weasel your way out by saying you made a mistake...

No.

My phone is for me to use, not for strangers to contact me. If my phone rings and its an unknown number i.e. not in my contacts then I don't answer it.

Simple as. If you don't know me personally then you don't contact me on my phone.

It doesn't matter who the SIM is registered to. If you are giving a number as your contact number, you've given them the correct number as they can reach you on that number. If a tourist gives the number of a guest house or hotel where they stay, it's still a contact number.

I take it you are giving them your wife's real number, so good on you. No need to continue here...

No. I don't give them my wife's number either.

The only time I give my wife's number out is if a company is going to be doing a delivery such as Homepro or the like.

I don't get this thread. I am in and out of thailand every week. Have never been asked or have noticed any counter asking. Must admit .this is Don mueang. Also any number could be provided. I regard this as spurious post.

It's not as spurious as you may think... Yes, we all know that you could provide them with any number and have been reminded of that in many posts before yours (thanks for reminding us again). One member even gave information about how many digits to use when providing a fake number and even went as far as providing a Wikipedia link, but....

"Also, any number could be provided" ... has become the main focus of this conversation. i.e. To give a fake number or not. It would seem a lot of people are hiding from something if the number of posts suggesting "give them a fake number" are any indication of the attitude of the general public.

It's unlikely you'd do that on any official government form in your own country, but Thai Immigration is fair game as far as many are concerned. For example, lying about something seemingly this minor would be grounds for a visa application to be rejected in Australia.

What this thread really demonstrates is how little respect so many members have for Thai authority, but this is hardly news for anyone who regularly reads this forum.

As a little experiment I had a conversation with my foreign Asian wife regarding this. I usually fill out her forms before we arrive, but I asked her if she was alone and was asked to provide a phone number at the airport entry (she never commits phone numbers to memory) what would she do? Would she jot down a fake number? "No, she wouldn't", she replied adamantly... she said she would make the effort to check her phone for her real number.

Perhaps I'm the odd one out as I've never felt any need to provide a fake number. I've never been asked at the airport (not yet - don't go out much), but I've been providing Immigration with my real number for 10 years down at the Immigration office as they always ask for it on extension application forms.

Edited by tropo

Immigration is under pressure and they are taking measures, small or important ones. I said that before but I was told that I didn't knew what i was saying - next thing boarder to Cambodia was virtually closed. I think that further problems will be coming.

The only time I give my wife's number out is if a company is going to be doing a delivery such as Homepro or the like.

OK, so why did you mention your wife's number? What number do you give them? Do you give them your real address?

Edited by tropo

OK, so why did you mention your wife's number? What number do you give them? Do you give them your real address?

Because you said you take it you are giving them your wife's real number. And I said no I don't. I don't give them any number and never will.

Yes of coarse I give them my real address.

I don't know how to spell any other cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Regard it anyway you like it but you would look a bit more credible if you noticed the OP is about Swampy and there are numerous people confirming what I wrote, maybe you are right and we are all wrong....

• Like 1

I think maybe it is not a matter of who is right and who is wrong about Immigration requesting phone numbers. Seems to be more due to inconstancy. For example, I came in to BKK Friday night and was not asked for a phone number. Had they asked, I would have been happy to give them one.

• Like 1

Swampy tonight were checking for phone numbers before reaching the immigration officer.

fastest i've been through. 15 minutea from leaving the plane to sitting in a taxi.

I wish it was like that on Sunday morning, joined the queue @ 06:30 (when I got to the head of the snake queue to be released to the IO queues I was asked for phone number) 07:45 by the time I walked past reclaim!

Seemed to be loads of apparently first time tourists who don't understand the concept of arrival cards? A few got sent to the back of the line but most had time to fill them in in the last 5 metres of queue.

Andrew.