'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

How did you not know what was going on? That is really hard for me to understand.

At this point, I don’t see any way for you to win in this situation. You make it sound like these guys are well connected and good at what they do so they probably are not worried about you at all but if it ever looked like you were getting the upper hand legally there is no doubt in my mind they would find an alternative lethal solution to the problem.

Maybe but one has to live with oneself and to just give up and run away is not something I would like to wake up with knowing every morning for the rest of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, but accepting that Thailand is not like back home, and stopping throwing good money after bad is not running away, it is being realistic.

While some on here are a bit OTT, not many support you, and most have probably been here a long time.

Not staying to fight is giving up and giving in. As I said before Thailand needs people of his stamina if any changes are ever going to take place, I must be one of the few that support him then.

Do you actually think he can change anything by continuing to throw money away. The Thai authorities make it quite plain that they don't consider us to be important in Thailand by their immigration regulations, and I doubt any of them lose sleep because a farang is getting screwed over by his Thai wife and a bunch of criminals. Just ask any Burmese fishing boat slave if he thinks the authorities cared about his plight for the last how many years. Do you think farangs are more important than him because we have white skin?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From reading all the comments on this topic....no wonder why many of them thrive in this lawless country lacking morals....those ones have already lost to see the difference between right and wrong....good and bad. Some of them are even the regular thaier than thai posters on this forum.

The guy made a mistake...to trust the mother of his children. People question on here her motives of starting all this. Whatever her motives where.....the results are negative.

Then the guy expected reciprocity from the law and its servants. Negative. He is already in it for many years and no doubt that he must have had many many sleepless nights. What to do....let it all go or keep fighting for justice.

His faith, and that of his children are in the hands of people unwilling to correct the wrongs. Some say its the system overhere but its the people setting the rules in this country.

At the end of the day cut him some slack for continuing to fight the wrongs done against him. He knows as well, i must guess, that given another chance he would do it different next time.

A final note....good to see the expat community sticking up for each other ????

From reading all the comments on this topic....no wonder why many of them thrive in this lawless country lacking morals....those ones have already lost to see the difference between right and wrong....good and bad. Some of them are even the regular thaier than thai posters on this forum.

The guy made a mistake...to trust the mother of his children. People question on here her motives of starting all this. Whatever her motives where.....the results are negative.

Then the guy expected reciprocity from the law and its servants. Negative. He is already in it for many years and no doubt that he must have had many many sleepless nights. What to do....let it all go or keep fighting for justice.

His faith, and that of his children are in the hands of people unwilling to correct the wrongs. Some say its the system overhere but its the people setting the rules in this country.

At the end of the day cut him some slack for continuing to fight the wrongs done against him. He knows as well, i must guess, that given another chance he would do it different next time.

There is no right and wrong, there is no good and bad, there is no black and white merely different shades of grey.

And if I was one of their kids, I would be asking,

Dad, why did you put mum in jail?

Did jailing mum get you any money back?

No, it just lost us our mum.

There is no right and wrong, there is no good and bad, there is no black and white merely different shades of grey.

And if I was one of their kids, I would be asking,

Dad, why did you put mum in jail?

Did jailing mum get you any money back?

No, it just lost us our mum.

Yes there is right and wrong...good and bad.....the law and dont do unto others what you dont want others do to you....some can be between the shades of grey.

On your 2nd point....a valid one for later perhaps in his and the kidds life....one can only hope that despite her acts with enormous consequences for all concerned contact on 1 way or another will/can be restored in the future...if thats what all parties desire.

he looks a decent chap , I feel quite sorry for him , it must have been quite a shock for him to discover his wife for nine years had taken him to the cleaners with the aid of other people, nasty unfortunately he is just another statistic .

Yes and quite a shock for some TVF members to find he has a voice on here too. A lot of back peddling suddenly with his appearance by people who love to snigger crass stuff to obtain status by shock appeal. For them just entertainment value at someone else's misfortune other than their own.

No back pedaling from me,

You can see from the wedding photo what was going to happen.

No slim 20 year old marries a fat 42 year old for love ............................

(a slim 20 year old + an attractive and slim 40 year old is stretching the old credibility a bit)

And that's not even considering the cultural differences, the language barrier ........

100% guaranteed to end in death or financial disaster.

Here's where you are dead wrong:

Thai's (and many other other asian cultures) dont marry for love, they marry someone to take care of them and their family....love is second and sometimes it comes, sometimes it doesnt.

This is their culture of which so many people like yourself, dont understand. You people spout off your judgmental remarks about such a complicated subject and you dont even understand the basic premise of the Thai culture in regards to relationships.

I think its about time for you to quit with your uneducated babbling and go back to your barstool. You make no sense whatsoever. But please continue to make yourself seem like an uneducated fool if you so feel the need.

What happened in these situations was criminal and should be treated as such. Quit with the stereotyping its not true.

So there are some people who feel sorry for the guy because he is an expat and deserves our support regardless of how he got himself in this situation. There are others who are suffering from sympathy fatigue after listening to endless stories of woe over the years. I don’t see anything wrong with either view and think they are both valid.

In my years here I have seen many people navigate Thailand without a glitch and many others who are serial victims and can’t understand why these things always happen to them. It seems it is easier for them to blame someone else for the choices they make.
If the guy didn’t have a clue what was going on with his wife that raises flags for me and suggests various scenarios. I am not going to take his side just because he is a farang.
Edited by villagefarang

Yes and quite a shock for some TVF members to find he has a voice on here too. A lot of back peddling suddenly with his appearance by people who love to snigger crass stuff to obtain status by shock appeal. For them just entertainment value at someone else's misfortune other than their own.

No slim 20 year old marries a fat 42 year old for love ............................

(a slim 20 year old + an attractive and slim 40 year old is stretching the old credibility a bit)

And that's not even considering the cultural differences, the language barrier ........

Thai's (and many other other asian cultures) dont marry for love, they marry someone to take care of them and their family....love is second and sometimes it comes, sometimes it doesnt.

This is their culture of which so many people like yourself, dont understand. You people spout off your judgmental remarks about such a complicated subject and you dont even understand the basic premise of the Thai culture in regards to relationships.

I think its about time for you to quit with your uneducated babbling and go back to your barstool. You make no sense whatsoever. But please continue to make yourself seem like an uneducated fool if you so feel the need.

What happened in these situations was criminal and should be treated as such. Quit with the stereotyping its not true.

Well, methinks you're stereotyping and being judgemental too.

Actually some Thai people marry for love... But i agree that it is a complicated subject.

I think its about time for you to quit with your uneducated babbling and go back to your barstool.

No barstool for me, I spend all my spare time on a bicycle seat,.

One bottle of beer adds 5 minutes to my time cycling up the hill from CM Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep.

Well, methinks you're stereotyping and being judgemental too.

Actually some Thai people marry for love... But i agree that it is a complicated subject.

Actually I can see how you think that but, I'm not. People do a good enough job of making fools out of themselves.

Im just pointing out to people....31 pages of this bickering is ridiculous dont ya think?

Many of the posters dont have a clue about what they speak. Relationships between people are like you said, very complicated. 31 pages of people calling each other derogatory names and belittling people just because they "think" they understand other people's relationships is worthless.

I seriously cant understand why his hasnt been closed down? Well actually I can its all about generating traffic for the site as that's how money is made, sad as hell that its allowed to go on.

the story does not add up

something is missing

the wife did not benefit

why did she do it for no monetary return?

so she went to jail for nothing?

Perhaps she received nothing because it was already "pawned away" for quite some time. Paper was "held" for a debt that was not payed?

or maybe, she has 75% of the stolen money hidden away somewhere ....... ready to finance her future when she gets out.

I seriously doubt she was that shrewd...

In my years here I have seen many people navigate Thailand without a glitch and many others who are serial victims and can’t understand why these things always happen to them.

common sense & low profile saves you a lot of hassle all over the world. these stereotypes (serial victims) can be found everywhere. it's not just thailand. most have 1 or 2 things in common though: plain naivety OR plain hubris, sometimes combined...

A lot of farangs on here bashing Thailand.

If you don't like it here, then go back home.

Oops! That's right. Home is a LOT worse than Thailand isn't it? No farang on here would ever want to live back in England or the US after living here.

Stop complaining!

Sorry! Did I just hit a nerve? Did I make you cry?

Speak for yourself. I choose to be here on an extended vacation. I was born American and I love my country. For without the education and financial opportunities, to amass assets, I couldn't be here nor anywhere I want to go. Thailand is one paradise and when I get tired of here I will find another. I go back home every year to check on family, friends and properties I own. America is a nation of laws but that is better than being a lawless nation. I could never lose money in USA in the manner these gentleman have. But when you try to get around what is law then the freaks come out. Follow the law and rent because no one is going to help you here. Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

Wrong. we know the difference between right and wrong, but we choose to accept Thailand as it is rather than as some would like it to be. If you want a country where you can buy land legally, go elsewhere.

If LOS was like our own countries why would we want to live there? Most of us live there because it ISN'T like our own countries.

Most of us don't trust Thai women with more than we can afford to lose, or give everything to a Thai family then complain when it all goes wrong. However, you aren't going to hear from them because they abided by the golden rule- never "invest" more in Thailand than you can afford to lose.

good to see the expat community sticking up for each other ????

Why would we stick up for other expats? I don't know any, and if I did, why would I be obliged to support wrong decisions? I wouldn't do so back home- why would I just because it's LOS?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Thank god for my birth defect. I never fall in love and I never get jealous. I'm happy to butterfly the rest of my life. And as a they say variety is the spice of life. Been married have a kid no need to rinse and repeat thank you very much.

There are a lot of nice women here and I plan to keep them that way by not marrying them legally. You'll find you are just as happy. When they decide to move on there is another girl who is ready to move in. You can't own pussy and property in Thailand without putting your money at risk. Your horror stories can be avoided or you can be like the multitudes and marry legally and try to own property illegally.

There are a lot of nice women here and I plan to keep them that way by not marrying them legally. You'll find you are just as happy. When they decide to move on there is another girl who is ready to move in. You can't own pussy and property in Thailand without putting your money at risk. Your horror stories can be avoided or you can be like the multitudes and marry legally and try to own property illegally.

The illusion of "free" sex whenever one wants lures many to the dark side.

"Don't come here," he says, but now he's married a new girl half his age and still living in Thailand.

maybe he meant Phuket since he stays now in Bangkok otherwise that doesn't make sense.

Also in the first sentence in the movie, he says he was looking for beautiful place to retire with strong rule of law. I mean everyone knows that Thailand doesn't have strong rule of law so why settle here?

Also, if he had 1 pounds sterling in assets, why would he choose Thailand and marry a low-class girl? I don't understand these guys with cash marrying uneducated girls from he sticks.

A lot of farangs on here bashing Thailand.

If you don't like it here, then go back home.

Oops! That's right. Home is a LOT worse than Thailand isn't it? No farang on here would ever want to live back in England or the US after living here.

Stop complaining!

Sorry! Did I just hit a nerve? Did I make you cry?

Speak for yourself. I choose to be here on an extended vacation. I was born American and I love my country. For without the education and financial opportunities, to amass assets, I couldn't be here nor anywhere I want to go. Thailand is one paradise and when I get tired of here I will find another. I go back home every year to check on family, friends and properties I own. America is a nation of laws but that is better than being a lawless nation. I could never lose money in USA in the manner these gentleman have. But when you try to get around what is law then the freaks come out. Follow the law and rent because no one is going to help you here.

Agreed. Maybe YOUR life is better here because YOU had no prospects in your home country.

I don't understand these guys with cash marrying uneducated girls from he sticks.

The sex is really good!

That is what it is all about. Did you see the rich Russian guys new sailboat and his wife. It's women and toys, guys. When I was 20 years old I wanted a Mercedes and a dynamite looking Thai chic. I waited patiently till I was 60 and came back to Thailand and bought a 1970 Mercedes and a go go dancer from Pattaya. What's not to like?biggrin.png

Look at him, look at her.

Everyone can see what's gonna happen ........ except him.

Question from interviewer, "What would you say to people that want to come here?"

Answer from me, "Don't marry a woman 1/3 your weight and 1/2 your age and expect her to love you or be trustworthy"

This isn't rocket science.

This is very true, but a less obvious point is don't marry someone who is no where near your level in terms of education & intelligence.

In this case, his wife was defrauded herself.

Seriously why do foreigners do stupid things that they wouldn't dream of doing in their home country?

He seems like a decent person, & every sympathy to him & his kids.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but I can't read 26 pages of posts!

Edited by sunflowerhx

This is very true, but a less obvious point is don't marry someone who is no where near your level in terms of education & intelligence.

Huh? I never got past high school but some of my ex partners have been university educated. How do I get on the winning team? Me no understand.

I cannot understand why a guy that looks savvy..or at least savvy enough to have some money, can believe that girls looking like its daughters may married them for love. With few exceptions, sooner or later, most of those young girls will find a real match....new "ideas"...or an "adventurous" new partner.

At the same time, it is very easy to know what motivations any women may have to date you....younger or not.

During my bachelor years here, I had many dates lasting just few minutes, the time enough to tell them that I was not planning in buy anything, even a brand new car, for my self or anybody else, or planning in travel the world soon. Many times, they even not gave me the time to tell them that my total monthly income was 40.000 THB, and the money in my bank was just enough to keep my visa. Untouchable.

They left before that.

Edited by umbanda

During my bachelor years here, I had many dates lasting just few minutes, the time enough to tell them that I was not planning in buy anything, even a brand new car, for my self or anybody else, or planning in travel the world soon.

off topic,

And I always told them I was gonna buy them a house and car ........ banged every one of them that night.

Who's a silly billy then?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Huh? I never got past high school but some of my ex partners have been university educated. How do I get on the winning team? Me no understand.

Let me rephrase, "don't marry someone who is LOWER than your level in terms of education & intelligence."

In your case you always win!