'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

Just another example of never buying property in Thailand and never Invest any Money in anything here ...

Tell that to Bill Heinecke who made his US$ 1.14 billion fortune in Thailand

Or my good friend Peter who built Cape Yamu in Phuket, or my good friend Alan Zeman and his Paradise Group that built Andara in Phuket....

I know a lot of guys who've done very well in Thailand.

Far more than the ones who've lost money.

I see it the same way,

and would not generalize this like:

- never buy a house,

- never do business or

- never marry a thai woman.

There are those who are lucky and others have bad luck.

I consider myself one of the lucky.

More than 20 years married, healthy children and my Thai wife is diligent.

But who knows in advance how it goes in the future?

Nobody.

This applies to businesses and for women

That's why

My advice is, no matter in which country you are going:

50% of your funds should be in your name and in your home country.

The other 50% of your funds you can then invest with appropriate safeguards in a foreign country.

Never, put your entire fortune on a single horse.

50% of your funds in Thailand? A bit high!

Sounds high, but i live here 9 month every year, so i have good control.

But this 50% are well diversified.

I own condo, cars, motorbikes, bank accounts and an thai equity portfolio in my name.

We have 3 businesses, a resort and valuable land on an island.

Landowners are my wife and children.

I am secure in 30-year lease and loan contracts.

2 Business are in my name.

If my wife kicks me out tomorrow morning, I have access to 50% of our Thai assets.

The other half belongs to her and the children, and it is well deserved.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't answer my question........Whats normal..?

Are folk saying a disfigured guy, perhaps by military stuff, can't or should not wed a lovely lady...?

Not saying that...

But "disfigured guy, perhaps by military stuff" again is NOT normal.

Normal:

conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
Synonyms for normal:

natural

orderly

ordinary

regular

routine

traditional

typical

average

commonplace

general

mean

median

standard

accustomed

acknowledged

conventional

customary

habitual

methodical

popular

prevalent

run-of-the-mill

typic

unexceptional

you forgot:

boring

standard issue know it all farang

Simply pointing out what is considered "normal". I was never maried, no kids, no ambition, no illusions, not interested in socker, cars, ... so pretty abnormal too thumbsup.gif

I've been living here for 6 years and partnered to a stellar girl for the last three.

I just worked out that I have 2.5% of my total wealth invested here.

Income for living is derived from my girls business.

Tight prick I am but street wise, careful and shrewd nonetheless.

I have no illusions that this so called former "paradise" of a country is really a land of deceitful, corrupt, insular and uneducated people.

Of those I know, it's the guys with former bg's and girls significantly younger that go "in" in a big way. I just don't get it. Ian is a prime example.

If the shit goes down, I'll happily walk losing very little.

I feel for the chap but he did not exercise enough due diligence and got royally shafted as a result.

Don't count on powers to be here. They couldn't give a toss.

Anyhow, I could say chin up, live and learn but now you've gone in again a popped out another child...what the ....

Look at him, look at her.

Everyone can see what's gonna happen ........ except him.

Question from interviewer, "What would you say to people that want to come here?"

Answer from me, "Don't marry a woman 1/3 your weight and 1/2 your age and expect her to love you or be trustworthy"

This isn't rocket science.

what does weight and age have to do with being a criminal ? you can see the future ? you and a box of rocks have a lot in common . it is better you do not post it makes normal people's head hurt when they read your dribble .

Question from interviewer, "What would you say to people that want to come here?"

Answer from me, "Don't marry a woman 1/3 your weight and 1/2 your age and expect her to love you or be trustworthy"

He suggest foreigners not to come here but he already got new wifey and new baby.... smart guy....

There's plenty more rules. These are probably the essential ones. Please reply if you can think of more and I'll include them in the book.

Never get into political discussions with Thais, even with your SO. If you are ever asked about your political opinions in re Thailand, simply smile and say you don't know enough about it to have an opinion (even though you probably know more about it than whoever is asking for your views).

Never believe anything anyone tells you, Thai or farang, unless/until you can verify that what you've been told is true.

Don't keep money in Thailand. Pay the exorbitant ATM fees - just think of it as insurance.

Don't get inebriated to the point that you can't fend for yourself.

Internalize the fact that even very wealthy/successful Thais are generally not very well-educated in terms of understanding even the history of their own country, science and mathematics, etc., much less the history of other countries, or even basic logical reasoning. Do not get hung up on illogical behavior you observe; it is what it is, and you aren't going to 'educate' anyone.

Minimize your interaction with officialdom.

Never drive anywhere, never purchase a vehicle. Take public transportation when you can, use taxis or hired cars/drivers when that isn't an option.

If you speak/read Thai, never let on that you understand what Thais are saying/reading/writing. Cultivate a poker-face. This applies both to random Thais with whom you interact, your SO, and (especially) officialdom.

Never tell anyone, including your SO, how much money you have/make, where your money is located, etc. If you have to prove an income for a retirement visa or proof of sufficient funds for visiting, have a throwaway bank account you can use only for those purposes, completely apart from any bank accounts where your main income is stored. Use a completely different bank for this purpose.

If you are in a serious relationship with a Thai, and you're so inclined, do set up a life insurance policy, will, etc. But do not tell the intended beneficiaries that you have done this; arrange it so that if you pass away, they will be contacted and will receive the benefits at that point in time, with no incentive to arrange your premature death.

Have at least one trusted family member, friend, or lawyer outside Thailand who is an emergency contact with power of attorney to make decisions on your behalf in the event you become disabled to the point where you are unable to do so yourself. Do not ever grant this kind of power over your affairs to any Thai (even a Thai attorney) or local farang, under any circumstances.

Make appointments at least an hour in advance of when you actually expect the meeting to take place; be prepared for the odd Thai who will show up on time, but don't ever expect them to show up at the appointed time.

Have both an air and an overland escape plan; ensure you have all the necessary visas to execute this escape plan. Have at least one additional form of official ID from your country of origin in case your passport is lost, damaged, stolen, or confiscated.

Stock up on nonperishable food and drinking water. Have at least one month's supply of each on hand at all times, replenish as needed.

Do not get involved in any sort of business venture with Thais or with local farangs, ever.

Even though you see Thais breaking the law every day, in every way, do your best to adhere to the letter of the law.

Avoid situations in which you might be likely to need law enforcement assistance, because you won't get it (or, alternately, you'll get it good and hard). If you must fill out a police report for something like a lost/stolen passport, never volunteer any information beyond the bare minimum.

Carry at all times a laminated, full-size, high-resolution reproductions of the personal information section of your passport, and your current visa or visa-waiver stamp.

Never gamble, bet, or play games of chance with Thais or local farangs, even if it's stated that no money is changing hands. Avoid any area in which Thais or local farangs are doing so.

. PS Thais are born liars and cheats because in their mind lying and cheating is normal because that is what their elite have done to them all their lives FACT.

Ummmnn, KINMAEW, could you PLS post this 5000 times until it FINALLY sinks into this dumb skull of mine....the longer I hang around this scene the more I am willing to agree "in their mind lying and cheating is normal"....it's completely bizarre but possibly true. I do feel sorry for this guy, Ian Rance, he didn't seem like a b*****rd, similar for the Irish guy...to some of the posters who are a little "sanctimonious"...well, I wonder if you have ever been caught up in the "snare"? Yes, you can laud your superior smarts. I wonder.

nothing new...to me and many too here in this forum......for sure he did not listen to those who told him this and that...be carefull.....bla bla bla....at the end the truth, that he would not listen because this will can not happen to him, he does beleive his wife and all what goes with.

then we can see the fair results!

an old fellow for a young girl....well what do you expect? true love ...come on man, think a bit with the big ball that stick on top of your boddy!

as many here he just lost money at the end..... the exact thing some clever one was looking for...and .....love can not be buy ! ever.........!

a lovely song in spanish for this poor guy.

coffee1.gif

Would you trust Thailand and its people with your retirement savings i sure wouldnt.

He married and trusted ONE lady ...not the whole Thai population. Don't paint all the country's inhabitants with the same brush that applies to one individual and her few croonies.

Pathetic.....seriously out of order.

What a clever bright lad you are. Another brilliant intellectual with the gift of hindsight. Perhaps members here might enlighten you with happy and loving relationships with partners younger and slimmer than they?

Maybe you should consider opening a school to pass on your vast knowledge about relationships to those less fortunate than you.

You haven't a clue about these people so who the bl**dy heck are you to criticise?

Your 40 plus "likes" are equally pathetic.

Having watched the video, I feel sorry for this guy. He says his wife got 4 years yet received little money and 'paid interest' so it's possible that she herself was scammed. I don't know. Something like this happened to an American guy I knew: he bought his Thai wife a home in Surin and, not wanting to bother him, she loaned money to buy a fence. She was illiterate and didn't realized what she was signing away. Bottom line: Thais screw over other Thais too.

Another point: buying property through a shell Thai company isn't exactly above board is it? Maybe the rule that foreigners can't own land is to protect them: maybe the police can't really do much as these two guys have bought houses.
Whatever happened it's a tragic case - young kids with no mother, very sad.

so super over weight Ian could not see this coming?

sorry to say, just look at the body language and expression on this wife's face in all the photos.

in the first 30 seconds you hear him say "... I was looking for a place with rule of law..."

are you completely clueless? everything in this video is what I found on google seven years ago on the first day researching Thailand. He must have never done a moments research.

I am sure Ian has a big heart, loved his wife and is a good and trusting person.

But you must have a healthy dose of paranoia to survive in Thailand.

Don't get married! Don't "buy" land. Assume nothing.

With all due respect, I really don't think his weight had anything to do with him being swindled.

So, you've been around Thailand 7 years and have done your research. I hope you didn't miss anything. Keep living. Time will tell.

with all due respect, his physical appearance has everything to do with it.

it is the COMPLETELY improbable paring of these two humans that got Ian in trouble in the first place.

THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. The rest of the criminal activity is based on Ian's POOR CHOICE OF BELIEVING IN THIS GIRL.

IT IS A INDUSTRY HERE. Every "normal" Thai woman knows it. And Ian is every bar girls dream. But not for boom boom.

and yes I did do my research, and I look all four ways when I cross the street in Thailand. It is not that hard.

1. Don't invest more than you can afford to lose

2. Make sure you are worth more alive than dead.

Rules for living in Thailand (and Vietnam, and the Philippines -- and Laos, Cambodia and China, for all I know..)

I advise people on retiring or living long term in Thailand and these are also top of the list of rules I provide - in fact, it's such vital knowledge for anyone coming to Thailand that I'm preparing a kindle ebook to warn people on how to visit or live in Thailand safely.

Some of the other top rules:

3. Don't get into an argument or heated discussion with a Thai person

3a. Don't have a disagreement in public or make the person feel a fool in any way. Be prepared to swallow your pride, accept that you've been cheated, and move on!

4. Learn to speak and read Thai! It's not foolproof of course, you can still be defrauded. But if you can't communicate in Thai then you are virtually powerless and are forced to deal with the situation like a blind/deaf mute. I noticed that in the video most of the Thai officials were quite bewildered, and even those who could speak English couldn't really grasp the fine details of the various complaints. There's little excuse when you've been living here five or more years and are married to a Thai and have Thai children to boot!

5. A corollary to Nick's rule no. 1 is don't invest in Thailand - i.e. do not expect a return on your investment. Spend just enough money to enjoy a comfortable life, have a nice home, car, motorbike and other possessions, but on the assumption that you won't get your money back. Think of it simply as the "cost of living in Thailand". You can go for leasehold, Usufructus, etc. but don't try to own your property outright.

There's more, but the principle is the same. Whatever you buy, expect to lose it. Be aware that you are liable for your spouse's debts. So watch what money she borrows, particularly from loan sharks (almost impossible to do of course)... so my advice usually is to be cagey about your true wealth. I suggest that you have an income of no more than 50,000 baht per month (60,000 maybe in order to qualify for retirement visa). This is already "affluent" by Thai standards. No matter how much you trust your spouse, keep the money/financial side of your life to yourself! Don't even live a lifestyle of affluence or be a spendthrift because you just become a beacon of wealth that will make you a desirable target (if not by your spouse then by the sister/brother/mother/cousin/neighbor/friend/kik...)

6. Drive (and cycle and walk) ultra-defensively. I can't go into a lot of detail here, it takes up such a large chunk of my book. Every time you get into your car or onto your bike or walk across the road, keep in mind that you might die today. Don't get angry and distracted. You might not get mugged, raped, shot at or murdered in Thailand (compared with some US cities and parts of London, say) but you will probably get seriously injured or die in a road accident!

6a. Make sure you have enough accident insurance and check the clause about motorbikes!

7. Don't do drugs. Don't hang about with people who do drugs. There's plenty of people who take drugs and get away with it, perhaps for years. If you're fairly well-off and live in an expensive moobaan then most of the young adults and teenagers (including your own! don't think they aren't) will be doing drugs and the police will mostly not interfere (so long as the drug selling and using of drugs stays within the confines of the moobaan). There's obviously plenty of drug-taking at outdoor parties, etc. and mostly the police will turn a blind eye. But you might just get unlucky and end up in a crackdown. And then your life is over!

I'm not saying this because I'm against (recreational) drugs. I think you should be able to buy or sell whatever drug floats your boat, in a safe, controlled, QC (and taxed) market. But you need to face reality.

The problem is when someone is out to get you. it might be a neighbor, it might be your 'friend' (usually another farang), it might be your wife's jealous lover. If you are in the same room or vehicle as a person who is busted with drugs then you are assumed guilty and - worse - you will get the maximum sentence (10/20 years!), while a Thai person will probably get a year or two, and maybe even be out on probation in a few months.

7a. Do not sell or deliver drugs. It's just not worth it. You'll probably get caught and it'll most likely be because you're being done by the dealer.

Thailand (and most of SE Asia) is not the place if you enjoy taking drugs. Go to Europe for that, it's more or less legal there (in practice, the police don't really want to waste their time on drug enforcement and you'll usually get a warning or a suspended sentence or similar).

There's plenty more rules. These are probably the essential ones. Please reply if you can think of more and I'll include them in the book.

What planet did you say you were from? And how exactly does one walk 'ultra defensively'? It sounds like it would take a long time to get anywhere.

. PS Thais are born liars and cheats because in their mind lying and cheating is normal because that is what their elite have done to them all their lives FACT.

So why are you here.......?

Or are you another one of those who have never lived here but know it all...

Er, I actually agree with him.

My wife often has employees stealing from her and they deny it at all costs even though I have irrefutable proof they lie and steal.

I trust my wife without reservation but I don't trust any other Thai...that's her family included. They don't need my money, they have enough.

Hence, as I posted recently, 2.5% is all I have here and I live off my wife's THB.

I don't trust any Farang here either which is probably why I don't have any friends haha.

So why are you here.......?

Or are you another one of those who have never lived here but know it all...

Er, I actually agree with him.

My wife often has employees stealing from her and they deny it at all costs even though I have irrefutable proof they lie and steal.

I trust my wife without reservation but I don't trust any other Thai...that's her family included. They don't need my money, they have enough.

Hence, as I posted recently, 2.5% is all I have here and I live off my wife's THB.

I don't trust any Farang here either which is probably why I don't have any friends haha.

Hey, I do agree with you only trust yourself and others you can trust but the poor guy who has 3 kids to him is really pset and we should talk to help hom not what it should have been before.

I am somewhat amazed and disgusted with the comments about this man on this board. The man was cheated by his wife and had some really bad experiences. Yet, he is vilified because he is older, overweight and is balding. Some of you people are as narcissistic a group as I have never met nor desire to meet. The majority of you have absolutely no real knowledge of Thai-Foreign relationships and how they develop. In my fifty years here, I know many successful relationships and some not so. It is the same in the West. This man has had his heart broken, his fortune stolen and his children left motherless and you make fun of him or call him ignorant. For those of you who are not in Thailand and feel the need to denigrate this man- don't come and for those who are here, I truly hope you wise up, your bitterness and ignorance is showing to all.

sorry to say, just look at the body language and expression on this wife's face in all the photos.

in the first 30 seconds you hear him say "... I was looking for a place with rule of law..."

are you completely clueless? everything in this video is what I found on google seven years ago on the first day researching Thailand. He must have never done a moments research.

I am sure Ian has a big heart, loved his wife and is a good and trusting person.

With all due respect, I really don't think his weight had anything to do with him being swindled.

So, you've been around Thailand 7 years and have done your research. I hope you didn't miss anything. Keep living. Time will tell.

it is the COMPLETELY improbable paring of these two humans that got Ian in trouble in the first place.

THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. The rest of the criminal activity is based on Ian's POOR CHOICE OF BELIEVING IN THIS GIRL.

IT IS A INDUSTRY HERE. Every "normal" Thai woman knows it. And Ian is every bar girls dream. But not for boom boom.

and yes I did do my research, and I look all four ways when I cross the street in Thailand. It is not that hard.

Oh, for christ's sake the guy was 42 and she was 20 something. We are not talking about Anna-Nicole Smith here...the age difference is not significant.

The guy made a mistake, chose the wrong partner and is now trying to get justice for the sake of his kids. Do all the Monday morning quarterbacks really have to rub it in to this extent?

This case is an exception NOT the rule ..and to generalise on the basis of this case is just plain silly.

Of course people should be forewarned about the risks but are posters really saying that the guy deserved what he got, because that's how I'm reading it...and that's just sick

Never get into political discussions with Thais, even with your SO. If you are ever asked about your political opinions in re Thailand, simply smile and say you don't know enough about it to have an opinion (even though you probably know more about it than whoever is asking for your views).

Never believe anything anyone tells you, Thai or farang, unless/until you can verify that what you've been told is true.

Don't keep money in Thailand. Pay the exorbitant ATM fees - just think of it as insurance.

Internalize the fact that even very wealthy/successful Thais are generally not very well-educated in terms of understanding even the history of their own country, science and mathematics, etc., much less the history of other countries, or even basic logical reasoning. Do not get hung up on illogical behavior you observe; it is what it is, and you aren't going to 'educate' anyone.

Never drive anywhere, never purchase a vehicle. Take public transportation when you can, use taxis or hired cars/drivers when that isn't an option.

If you speak/read Thai, never let on that you understand what Thais are saying/reading/writing. Cultivate a poker-face. This applies both to random Thais with whom you interact, your SO, and (especially) officialdom.

Never tell anyone, including your SO, how much money you have/make, where your money is located, etc. If you have to prove an income for a retirement visa or proof of sufficient funds for visiting, have a throwaway bank account you can use only for those purposes, completely apart from any bank accounts where your main income is stored. Use a completely different bank for this purpose.

If you are in a serious relationship with a Thai, and you're so inclined, do set up a life insurance policy, will, etc. But do not tell the intended beneficiaries that you have done this; arrange it so that if you pass away, they will be contacted and will receive the benefits at that point in time, with no incentive to arrange your premature death.

Have at least one trusted family member, friend, or lawyer outside Thailand who is an emergency contact with power of attorney to make decisions on your behalf in the event you become disabled to the point where you are unable to do so yourself. Do not ever grant this kind of power over your affairs to any Thai (even a Thai attorney) or local farang, under any circumstances.

Make appointments at least an hour in advance of when you actually expect the meeting to take place; be prepared for the odd Thai who will show up on time, but don't ever expect them to show up at the appointed time.

Have both an air and an overland escape plan; ensure you have all the necessary visas to execute this escape plan. Have at least one additional form of official ID from your country of origin in case your passport is lost, damaged, stolen, or confiscated.

Stock up on nonperishable food and drinking water. Have at least one month's supply of each on hand at all times, replenish as needed.

Do not get involved in any sort of business venture with Thais or with local farangs, ever.

Even though you see Thais breaking the law every day, in every way, do your best to adhere to the letter of the law.

Avoid situations in which you might be likely to need law enforcement assistance, because you won't get it (or, alternately, you'll get it good and hard). If you must fill out a police report for something like a lost/stolen passport, never volunteer any information beyond the bare minimum.

Carry at all times a laminated, full-size, high-resolution reproductions of the personal information section of your passport, and your current visa or visa-waiver stamp.

Never gamble, bet, or play games of chance with Thais or local farangs, even if it's stated that no money is changing hands. Avoid any area in which Thais or local farangs are doing so.

An interesting and sensible list....but why not just stay at home!!!!??

Oh, for christ's sake the guy was 42 and she was 20 something. We are not talking about Anna-Nicole Smith here...the age difference is not significant.

Yes it is.

Just a similar scenario for the ThaiVisa jury to consider.

Man living in western country marries young woman, fathers three children.
She becomes involved in an establishment which happens to be a licensed premises full of slot machines.
She loses a small fortune, he finds out, she leaves him, takes kids, goes to lawyer.

How much does muggins have left? cool.png

cleardot.gif

an amusing troll, a lot of effort went into this nonsense.

I am somewhat amazed and disgusted with the comments about this man on this board. The man was cheated by his wife and had some really bad experiences. Yet, he is vilified because he is older, overweight and is balding. Some of you people are as narcissistic a group as I have never met nor desire to meet. The majority of you have absolutely no real knowledge of Thai-Foreign relationships and how they develop. In my fifty years here, I know many successful relationships and some not so. It is the same in the West. This man has had his heart broken, his fortune stolen and his children left motherless and you make fun of him or call him ignorant. For those of you who are not in Thailand and feel the need to denigrate this man- don't come and for those who are here, I truly hope you wise up, your bitterness and ignorance is showing to all.

Well I'm amazed that you're amazed - bitterness and ignorance is what Thai Visa is all about. It's always been this way, something tragic is posted and people unload. I've read many worse threads than this I'm sorry to say. That's Thai Visa. I share your sympathy for this guy but this isn't the right forum unfortunately.

Archived