TEN-HUT! No Waiting at Immigration at Promenada, September 26!

SemperFi

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My recent visit to Prom for my re-tire extension required my USA financial affidavit to be less than 6 months old. Has something changed, as suggested in OP's first post?

Now the long Q will be the USA consulate! All air/con.biggrin.png

Good catch -- if using a bank letter (800,000 baht) method for financial justification of a retirement visa extensions, the bank letter has to less than one month old. However, if using a Embassy/Consulate Income letter (65,000 baht/month) method, it can be up to six months old.

My recent visit to Prom for my re-tire extension required my USA financial affidavit to be less than 6 months old. Has something changed, as suggested in OP's first post?

Now the long Q will be the USA consulate! All air/con.biggrin.png

No long queue at the US Consulate. Their appointment system does not overbook.

... for financial justification of a retirement visa extensions, the bank letter has to less than one month old...

Are you sure?

Several times I was told "bank letter not more than 1 week old" by immigration officers at Airport Office...

And thanks for your efforts, Nancy!

wink.png

... for financial justification of a retirement visa extensions, the bank letter has to less than one month old...

Are you sure?

Several times I was told "bank letter not more than 1 week old" by immigration officers at Airport Office...

wink.png

Well, just to be safe, one week would be best. The "visa guru" with CLL will be there on Tuesday afternoon to inspect documents and he is THE source for details of what Immigration accepts. Fortunately, he's very kind to donate his time to help out us CEC members and he speaks very good English. I'm sure after we do this a few months, we'll know what we're doing.

Perhaps some of our members would like to step forward to help with this screening and documentation process. It seems that CLL has several members who do this every month -- to help explain the visa rules to the other members.

Edited by NancyL

Are you sure?

wink.png

I heard one week, also. And they can be real pricks about minute differences in the letter, and the balance....say you got interest, or a FD matured.....knew somebody that had to go back to the bank, and even had an agent with him.

Are you sure?

wink.png

I heard one week, also. And they can be real pricks about minute differences in the letter, and the balance....say you got interest, or a FD matured.....knew somebody that had to go back to the bank, and even had an agent with him.

In my experience, provided bank banks show consecutive dates for end/start of FD's, and with "TFR" instead of withdrawal/deposit, you're ok. But that's my experience with LHBank cash management a/c's which offer good % ...

Thank You Nancy, for being a Positive influence on the board, just waiting for the usual wingers to kick up.

john

It is a positive move in the right direction. Thanks Nancy and CMEC. If this turns out to be a viable solution, ya'll will probably have me as a new member.

200 Baht fee per item, no receipt provided. I love Thailand!!! Let me charge you extra for a job we are meant to be doing in the first place, but we'll keep the money hush hush!

Unless I missed something, I don't think Saturdays are on Immigration's standard work schedule.

Would I pay 200 baht not to have to get up before the crack of dawn? What a silly question. wai.gif

David

So using this process for retirement visa extension, there is no requirement to bring a copy of your lease or other residence document?

Having just re-read the entire thread, I see nothing anywhere which suggests that this new process means you have to submit less documentation than what Immigration typically requires.

So using this process for retirement visa extension, there is no requirement to bring a copy of your lease or other residence document?

Having just re-read the entire thread, I see nothing anywhere which suggests that this new process means you have to submit less documentation than what Immigration typically requires.

I've had to submit a lease agreement.

I've had to submit a lease agreement.

Not me but thanks to you and others who have had to I always come prepared to do so if asked for it. The same as I do with my proof of income. I have the papers from the various sources but they never asked to see them. They just look at the document from the U S conciliate and move on.

Basikly this is a thank you to the posters who have experienced these things and warned us of the possibility. When dealing with immigration I try to be ready for any thing. As what I have here in Thailand is very precious to me.

....When dealing with immigration I try to be ready for any thing. As what I have here in Thailand is very precious to me.

Smart move but, like you, I take everything I have including the kitchen sink just in case they ask me for it. As I've noted elsewhere, the Immigration lady who handled my retirement extension 4 months ago required a copy of every used page of my passport (including a Tourist Visa which well pre-dated my first Non-Immigrant O). I'm not sure why she asked me for all of that (it's never happened before) although I was hoping she would at least act surprised when I handed all of that to her from my folder.

These people have not mentioned that, in order to receive this service, they will charge you an additional ฿1,000 service charge to "join" their "club".

Maderaroja, I'm sorry that you came to the CLL office and waited patiently for your documents to be reviewed. I thought it was clear that this is a special private opening of the Immigration office for members of CEC and CLL. Since I doubt you speak Japanese, you'd probably be most interested in joining CEC. I don't know why you put "club" and "join" in quotes, as if CEC isn't a real club and described our membership fee as a service charge. Our membership is 1000 baht and it's a Lifetime membership with many benefits. This is just one of them. I invite you spend some time getting to know more about CEC -- the About Us video on our website is a good place to start and as is our Facebook page. I hope you reconsider.

http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/about-us/

https://www.facebook.com/Chiang-Mai-Expats-Club-286223608211692/timeline/

Three people did join CEC today during the document review at the CLL office. A couple of them have been to CEC meetings in the past and realized it was time to join. CEC does much, much more than offer expedited access at Immigration.

Edited by NancyL

Warning!!! There is a ฿1,000 service charge in addition to the listed fees.

Unbelievable that you'd make this claim let alone repeat it.

If you bothered to read the first post, you might even read that CEC members (that means members of the Expat Club) were invited to join in with the Japanese Long Stay Club for this service.

And if you bothered to read the second post in this thread by Nancy, you might have noticed the first sentence: "Please note that is for members of Chiang Mai Expats Club."

I could point out a few other clues but there's no need for that.

You have no obligation whatsoever to join the Expats Club; on the other hand, unless you join, please don't expect any of the club's member benefits.

These people have not mentioned that, in order to receive this service, they will charge you an additional ฿1,000 service charge to "join" their "club".

Maderaroja, I'm sorry that you came to the CLL office and waited patiently for your documents to be reviewed. I thought it was clear that this is a special private opening of the Immigration office for members of CEC and CLL. Since I doubt you speak Japanese, you'd probably be most interested in joining CEC. I don't know why you put "club" and "join" in quotes, as if CEC isn't a real club and described our membership fee as a service charge. Our membership is 1000 baht and it's a Lifetime membership with many benefits. This is just one of them. I invite you spend some time getting to know more about CEC -- the About Us video on our website is a good place to start and as is our Facebook page. I hope you reconsider.

Three people did join CEC today during the document review at the CLL office. A couple of them have been to CEC meetings in the past and realized it was time to join. CEC does much, much more than offer expedited access at Immigration.

As a long time member I have to say it has supplied me with some very enjoyable meetings and some not so good. The breakfast's are always good. 1,000 baht I do not regret one bit spending. Now you have brought on a week after I renewed my permission to stay a new service that will greatly help many that choose to use it.

Job well done even if it was a week late.

In Japan, people submit their paperwork and passport, including a self-addressed stamped postcard.(for annual renewals) in the morning of one day. Just drop off the paperwork, having it checked for completion. 10 minutes on line at most, 3-4 days later you receive this postcard telling you to pick up your passport and renewal stamp at a certain time and day. Another 20-30 minutes waiting, 5 minutes with the Official, and out the door. No huge crowds of people waiting around all day.

"In Japan"

There is undoubtedly a lot of sheeat in Japan that has nothing to do with Chiang Mai.

Have a cup of coffee.

The requirement to renew one's visa, or extension of stay is the same in both countries.

The methodology of getting it done is different. In one country you are required to sit around in a crowded space for hours, often all day. In the other country, you sit for a few minutes.

Which would you prefer?

Thailand obviously

Pay an agent or get up in the middle of the night. Nothing is compulsory, apart from having to get your permission to stay extended. Actually, that's not compulsory either thumbsup.gif

I feel that I have to make a strong objection to your post, your comments show that you have no understanding of the way clubs work and are disparaging invective.

A club isn't a gathering of friends. Think about a tennis club, a swimming club, a photography club, an athletic club - the people going along to clubs have a common interest, not a close friendship with each other. Some may become friends, but that's not the object or mission of a club. It's just those with a strong enough interest in something to make the effort to join a club. There has to be fees - very few offer a life membership and there are dues to be paid every year. The reason for fees is the bureaucracy - statutory fees, audit fees and the like in addition to the rent most of them pay for their meeting place. That money has to come from somewhere, and it comes from the annual fees members pay. The members aren't unhappy about this - they could decline to renew their membership or leave the club at any time they feel outraged at the annual fee or actions of fellow members. But they don't, it is quite normal for clubs to have joining and annual fees. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't join or wouldn't renew.

You say in order to receive a service that should properly be supplied without additional payment but the comment makes no sense. You want to have a service provided but you want it for free. Charities provide services to the needy free of charge. A club isn't a charity, it's a club; a gathering of people with a common interest. Club accounts are available for inspection in western countries, I imagine any club in Thailand organised or founded by Farangs would copy that tried and tested method of managing administration, elections and legal compliance from back home.

On behalf of Nancy and the other board members of CEC you owe an apology for saying It smacks of kickback and corruption. That statement is very, very offensive. I'm not a member of the club but I'm offended by it. Then we have the "benefits" are beneficial only to those to whom they are of service. Of course the benefits are only for club members. I said earlier that they aren't a charity, they are a club. Benefits are for members. That's why they pay to be a part of the club.

Social clubs could be the exception to this, the aim of a social club is to have people meet as friends. And they aren't free, annual fees are charged to those wanting to be a member.

You say you are hesitant to join the organisation; I would suggest that they may not want you as a member. That's one of the things about joining a club - you are actually applying to join and the board or committee can refuse anyone they deem unsuitable.

I really think that you ought to apologise to the board of CEC, and as your disagreeable insinuation was made publicly, your apology should be equally public.

Edit: since the derogatory post was removed, I'll point out that this is directed to maderaroja:

Clearly you thought at least one of the benefits would be of service to you - the expedited Immigration processing this week.

So, if I could recap: You wanted to take advantage of the club's membership benefits.....without having to pay to join the club, like everyone else does. And when you couldn't do that, in the middle of your temper tantrum you fabricate some unfounded allegations and post them on line in a public forum because you have the maturity of a 12 year old. Is that about right?

Edited by TheAppletons

A particularly derogatory remark/post has been removed. Whilst no specific names were mentioned I would remind members of this forum rule:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means.

Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

In defense of the gentlemen in question, he is correct that the service should be provided free of charge. By this I think he meant immigration should provide the processing of visa extensions in a timely manner without an extra 200 baht charge and without requiring the efforts of CEC, which has a 1000 baht charge for lifetime membership.

Put another way, it shouldn't have to be done on a Saturday.

Or, put yet another way, they should do it the way they do it in Bangkok and everywhere else in Thailand: Weekdays, normal work hours, 30-60 minute turnaround time, no extra fees.

Edited by mesquite

In defense of the gentlemen in question, he is correct that the service should be provided free of charge. By this I think he meant immigration should provide the processing of visa extensions in a timely manner without an extra 200 baht charge and without requiring the efforts of CEC, which has a 1000 baht charge for lifetime membership.

Or, put yet another way, they should do it the way they do it in Bangkok and everywhere else in Thailand: Weekdays, normal work hours, 30-60 minute turnaround time, no extra fees.

Thank you for your attempt to interpret my words. I agree with what you have said.

What I really was trying to say is that, if there is an expidited process for Immigration documents, even with a ฿200 fee, I am interested to participate.

It should be available to everytone without having to pay an additional ฿1,000 to join an organization with whose political philosophy I disagree.

Up todate report from Bangkok .Former colleague extends his 5th retirement visa yesterday in Bangkok.Arrived at Imm office 10.30 am out by 11.15 am.

No appointment,extra fees,no hassles, all smiles. Isnt that how it should be? He can't believe the circus up here, not dure he even belives me !