TEN-HUT! No Waiting at Immigration at Promenada, September 26!

SemperFi

In defense of the gentlemen in question, he is correct that the service should be provided free of charge. By this I think he meant immigration should provide the processing of visa extensions in a timely manner without an extra 200 baht charge and without requiring the efforts of CEC, which has a 1000 baht charge for lifetime membership.

Put another way, it shouldn't have to be done on a Saturday.

Or, put yet another way, they should do it the way they do it in Bangkok and everywhere else in Thailand: Weekdays, normal work hours, 30-60 minute turnaround time, no extra fees.

Up todate report from Bangkok .Former colleague extends his 5th retirement visa yesterday in Bangkok.Arrived at Imm office 10.30 am out by 11.15 am.

No appointment,extra fees,no hassles, all smiles. Isnt that how it should be? He can't believe the circus up here, not dure he even belives me !

We believe you! (-:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is / where are ten-hut?

Didn't notice it being used but it's a military term which essentially is a shortened/lazy way to say "Attention!" (meaning, for soldiers, to stop whatever you're doing, be still, and pay attention to whatever officer yelled it). In lay terms, it's just a way to say "pay attention to this!"

Edit: Duh....now see the term was used by SemperFi in the title to this thread. His board name, by the way, would indicate he proudly served in the US Marines (if you're reading....thanks for your service).

Edited by CMBob

In defense of the gentlemen in question, he is correct that the service should be provided free of charge. By this I think he meant immigration should provide the processing of visa extensions in a timely manner without an extra 200 baht charge and without requiring the efforts of CEC, which has a 1000 baht charge for lifetime membership.

Or, put yet another way, they should do it the way they do it in Bangkok and everywhere else in Thailand: Weekdays, normal work hours, 30-60 minute turnaround time, no extra fees.

Up todate report from Bangkok .Former colleague extends his 5th retirement visa yesterday in Bangkok.Arrived at Imm office 10.30 am out by 11.15 am.

No appointment,extra fees,no hassles, all smiles. Isnt that how it should be? He can't believe the circus up here, not dure he even belives me !

Expats all over the country say the same thing about their immigration offices. There is no getting up at zero dark thirty, long lines, or people flocking to visa agents out of frustration. I'm surprised how many apologists there are on this forum, that think this circus is acceptable on any level.

On a positive note, the leader of the apologists is doing her best to find a solution to this problem. I believe once she gets her proposed program off the ground along with the Japanese expats, it will go a long way to alleviate the pain and suffering of complying with the one year visa extension requirement.

I saw where someone questioned why they would have to join the expat club in order to benefit from being able to conduct immigration services. I think it is a small price to pay to avoid a lot of unnecessary drama. The expat club is a non-profit organization that helps expats quality of life in Chiang Mai, and hosts many interesting presentations. Since Nancy took the helm of this organization, it has become a model for other expat organisations in Thailand.

If Immigration people realize that this method is more effective than the one that they've been using, we can hope that they will decide to make 'hand-in' one day, 'pick-up' the next day the normal way of doing business. When you re-new or extend a Thai visa in KL, that is the way it's handled. When you apply for one at the Thai consulate in Osaka, that is the way it's handled. And now if you are a member of the Japanese Long Stay Club or the CEC that is the way it's handled. How long can it be before Immigration decides it should ALL be handled this way? It's easier on Immigration people and easier on the folks who need their services. They may not give a hoot about the folks needing help, but they certainly must care about their own existence!

Edited by FolkGuitar

Thank you for your attempt to interpret my words. I agree with what you have said.

What I really was trying to say is that, if there is an expidited process for Immigration documents, even with a ฿200 fee, I am interested to participate.

It should be available to everytone without having to pay an additional ฿1,000 to join an organization with whose political philosophy I disagree.

can you explain their "political philosophy"

I am sure many of us are unaware of it.

If Immigration people realize that this method is more effective than the one that they've been using, we can hope that they will decide to make 'hand-in' one day, 'pick-up' the next day the normal way of doing business. When you re-new or extend a Thai visa in KL, that is the way it's handled. When you apply for one at the Thai consulate in Osaka, that is the way it's handled. And now if you are a member of the Japanese Long Stay Club or the CEC that is the way it's handled. How long can it be before Immigration decides it should ALL be handled this way? It's easier on Immigration people and easier on the folks who need their services. They may not give a hoot about the folks needing help, but they certainly must care about their own existence!

so in Osaka, KL and Chiang Mai you have to be a member of a separate club to handle it that way. Can you just drop the application off in a slot in KL and Osaka or do you still have to sit with them while your papers are checked? Does KL and Osaka also have to pay an extra 200 baht for this service. Do the immigration officers come in on a day they would normally have off.

don't get me wrong I think it is a great idea and will certainly use it next time I renew but it seems to me that there is more to it than dropping it off and picking it up.

I had to drop mine off with a lot of other paper work In Vancouver including a police report a medical and a notary saying I was who I said I was then pick it up in three days. Also it cost me $200 Canadian.

Thank you for your attempt to interpret my words. I agree with what you have said.

What I really was trying to say is that, if there is an expidited process for Immigration documents, even with a ฿200 fee, I am interested to participate.

It should be available to everytone without having to pay an additional ฿1,000 to join an organization with whose political philosophy I disagree.

I see your point and in a perfect world it would be just as you describe.

Once you realize Thailand is not and will not likely be a perfect world in all of our lifetimes, it becomes easier to recognize the merit in attempts to make a challenging process a little more bearable.

But it's entirely fine to not go that route and just queue up on Monday at Monks-O'clock, or take care of things in any other way that works for you.

I have never heard of the expat club having some sort of "political philosophy." This organization isn't like joining some left-wing wacko group, nudists colony, wife swappers, or God forbid becoming a Scientologists. It's simply a large diversified group of retirees from all walks of life.

Please take a minute to share what you heard about their political philosophy.

can you explain their "political philosophy"

I am sure many of us are unaware of it.

We are all waiting to be enlightened with your wisdom. Information like that should be spread to the public.

Hard to disagree with this, but...! There's just the element of operational funding after a (relatively recent, past two years or so) FLOOD of expats migrating to Chiang Mai. Blame web sites trumpeting cheap and comfortable living abroad. Yes, many here are economic migrants!

But this ain't Europe these days, Dorothy, despite some minor inconveniences. Try barbed wire, water canon and rubber bullets!

We are all waiting to be enlightened with your wisdom. Information like that should be spread to the public.

I sat to one side of this man yesterday and saw exactly what happened when he approached Nancy. She asked him if he was aware that the service was for club members only - was he aware of that? He shrugged his shoulders, went red-as-a-beetroot and mumbled something in reply. When she then went to hand him an application form, he stood up and left in a huff!

Interesting how, for 200 baht, he's willing to try and use our club service for free, but, for 200 baht + 1000 baht membership fee (LIFE membership) he suddenly discovers that the club has a 'political philosophy' ???

For Nancy and Bob - Great work yesterday - Many thanks!

Some thoughts about future meetings:

1. Please give priority to those of us who arrive with ALL our paperwork completed. My expected short visit was extended to about 2 hours because:

a. Some people were arriving without having completed ANY of the forms and, as a result, kept others waiting in the queue - whilst they filled them in.

b. Someone did NOT know what visa they had in their passport and, even worse, did not know what page it was in ? Nancy and Bob must have spent a combined c25-30 minutes in trying to find it for photocopying purposes.

c. The presence of a Cheap Charlie - in trying to piggy-back my club subscriptions...say no more!

Sometimes Folks: our worst enemies can be fellow-Farangs!

2. Assuming it takes-off, you will need a bigger venue with more tables and, possibly, volunteers.

3. Consider doing 90 day reports - for a fee.

4. Consider offering this service to non-members for c300-400 baht (extra monies to club fund).

Once again; Well Done All!

Bucklt

Thanks BuckIt for your observations. Yes, many of the people using the service yesterday didn't know the difference between an extension of stay stamp or a TM6 departure card, much less how to locate them in their passports. I agree we either need to find a bigger venue or, if they'll let us, convince the CLL folks to open up their back room which is over twice the size of the room we used. With a couple more people like Bob and me, we could have another pair of Nancys&Bobs processing those who arrived with everything in order (or nearly so)

Next month, I'm going to come in the morning and see how the Japanese process their people in the morning. Bob stopped by briefly and said their office was a heaving mass at 10 am and the numbers would bear that out. They had twice the customers we did. Their head visa guru said the CLL members aren't as well prepared as the CEC members. Remember some of them can't write English, so not only do they have no idea what's in their passport, they also need someone to write up their Immigration form, too.

First off all sorry for my poor Englisch writing but try to do my best.

It is for a great part the debt of the 'farang' that the corruption continues. If every 'farang' stops to give what you call teamoney, and if the can stop

to create 'constructions' for services that are free than I am confident that we make a big step forward.

I ( maybe others) ask what you win ( is it because they can not wait for a stamp? )

I never give 1 Bath and i think ( but i know it is a utopia because we never pull on the same rope) if everybody do the same we have an othe immi.

don't you think??

Great, I will be joining CEC if this continues.

Me too... it's a no brainer.

These people have not mentioned that, in order to receive this service, they will charge you an additional ฿1,000 service charge to "join" their "club".

Chill out... 5555

And people complained before about others paying a visa agency to do 90 reports for 250. I understand there are other circumstances, but one could also go to the agency on a day of their choosing.

Not a complaint - just an observation.

Hard to disagree with this, but...! There's just the element of operational funding after a (relatively recent, past two years or so) FLOOD of expats migrating to Chiang Mai. Blame web sites trumpeting cheap and comfortable living abroad. Yes, many here are economic migrants!

But this ain't Europe these days, Dorothy, despite some minor inconveniences. Try barbed wire, water canon and rubber bullets!

Well, wait a minute. Thailand doesn't offer welfare benefits for illegal immigrants who dump all their documentation prior to crossing the border, and then claim to be war refugees seeking asylum. If there suddenly was an influx of a few hundred thousand undocumented folks crossing the Thai border illegally, you'd probably see something worse then barbed wired, water canons, and rubber bullets. Then suddenly, expats residing here legally would be the least of their problems.

Dunno. Maybe if it did happen here, they'd dump the 90 day reports, because their time would be spend pushing back the invading hoards.

post-87058-0-87867800-1443171612_thumb.j

Edited by connda

Okay, so I went to the CLL office last Sep. 23 to give the paperwork and my passport, and the service fee.
Before I went I had read the threads here on Thaivisa, including there where it says you need to be a CEC member, and following what was written in these threads, I downloaded, filled in and copied the documents needed for a 90-day stamp. Still, Nancy advised me to copy one more page in my passport. No problem, as there was a copy-machine right next to us. And better too many documents then one missing.
I was a bit early, and there were already 3 people before me. This, and that it was the first time for CEC's Nancy and Bob, I was helped and on my way home within the hour. Fast, efficient, very friendly, and helpful.

Yesterday, again I was early. Immigration started on time at 1pm and I was out of there within half an hour with a new 90-day stamp in my passport. Actually I do not know exactly how long it took, maybe 20 minutes maybe 40, because I always bring something to study and my phone with internet. Talk or read about dogs and I forget the time.

I would like to say a BIG Thank You to Nancy, Bob and the CEC team and immigration for setting up this service to the CEC members. Considering that the other options were either paying an agency almost 10 times as much (which I would have done, btw), or waking up at 4am in order to be at immigration at 5am. I for one really appreciate this new service.
Thank you!

As for the Promenada: allowing goats and sheep there the whole day in a tiny space, even with nice straw food and water there, is plain disgusting and says a lot about the no-sense of and/or interest in the welfare of the animals. Why not providing them with a larger space (partly) on one of the grassy area's?

Okay, so I went to the CLL office last Sep. 23 to give the paperwork and my passport, and the service fee.

Before I went I had read the threads here on Thaivisa, including there where it says you need to be a CEC member, and following what was written in these threads, I downloaded, filled in and copied the documents needed for a 90-day stamp. Still, Nancy advised me to copy one more page in my passport. No problem, as there was a copy-machine right next to us. And better too many documents then one missing.

I was a bit early, and there were already 3 people before me. This, and that it was the first time for CEC's Nancy and Bob, I was helped and on my way home within the hour. Fast, efficient, very friendly, and helpful.

Yesterday, again I was early. Immigration started on time at 1pm and I was out of there within half an hour with a new 90-day stamp in my passport. Actually I do not know exactly how long it took, maybe 20 minutes maybe 40, because I always bring something to study and my phone with internet. Talk or read about dogs and I forget the time.

I would like to say a BIG Thank You to Nancy, Bob and the CEC team and immigration for setting up this service to the CEC members. Considering that the other options were either paying an agency almost 10 times as much (which I would have done, btw), or waking up at 4am in order to be at immigration at 5am. I for one really appreciate this new service.

Thank you!

As for the Promenada: allowing goats and sheep there the whole day in a tiny space, even with nice straw food and water there, is plain disgusting and says a lot about the no-sense of and/or interest in the welfare of the animals. Why not providing them with a larger space (partly) on one of the grassy area's?

Please explain an agency costing "10 times" as much... Did you do more than just a 90 day report?

<<<<< Immigration started on time at 1pm and I was out of there within half an hour with a new 90-day stamp in my passport.>>>>>

I also went yesterday and walked out - c5-6 minutes later - with a brand new 12 month Multi-Entry Visa in my passport - still can't believe it !

A totally different 'environment' to ones experienced in last c10 years of going to CM Immigration.

Everyone relaxed, no rushing around - looking lost, and all sitting INSIDE office area with full benefit of air-con...way-to-go!

Immigration Staff dressed in 'civvies' and processing forms in a speedy manner.

Thanks to all who arranged this and long may it continue.

Bucklt

I was told that for their service they ask between 1,500 and 2,000 baht.
CEC asked 200 baht.

If I was told incorrectly, please, accept my apologies and tell me/us what is the correct fee for a 90-day report service.

CEC asked 200 baht.

If I was told incorrectly, please, accept my apologies and tell me/us what is the correct fee for a 90-day report service.

I think the agency fees are for 4 reports.

Thank you for the clarification.

CEC asked 200 baht.

Neinke, more and more people are getting 90 days done by post for around 35-80baht depending on whether you use reg or ems, it would have saved you 2 trips. Unless of course there is no PO near your place?

I can understand the CEC helping those doing visa renewals or possibly even re-entry but seems that 90 days with online and postal options is unnecessary.

But simply my opinion.