Does Thailand Need A Good Piano Player?

I'm still thinking about moving to Thailand. Does anyone have a clue about job prospects for a "farang" piano player, that plays hotel cocktail-bar type piano music? I've worked as a professional, like on cruise ships, so I'm considered pretty good.

Would a first class hotel in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Samui etc. be interested in something like that? Any ideas, even ROUGH ideas, of what that might pay?

Also, would wealthy Thai parents be willing to pay a fair price for a good piano teacher, (that doesn't speak Thai)? Just curious!

I'm still thinking about moving to Thailand. Does anyone have a clue about job prospects for a "farang" piano player, that plays hotel cocktail-bar type piano music? I've worked as a professional, like on cruise ships, so I'm considered pretty good.

Would a first class hotel in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Samui etc. be interested in something like that? Any ideas, even ROUGH ideas, of what that might pay?

Also, would wealthy Thai parents be willing to pay a fair price for a good piano teacher, (that doesn't speak Thai)? Just curious!

There's an awful lot of competent Thai musicians here. Players and teachers.

I'm sure there are competent Thai musicians, but I haven't found any that are really great that are strictly piano players. I've heard some fine Philipino piano players working in Thailand, but I haven't seen a great Thai pianist working in a hotel lobby bar type situation. I don't pretend to have been everywhere. I've heard that in Japan, they like to hire Westerns to do that, presumably at a good salary, but it's also expensive to live there. I'm thinking maybe a fine hotel in Thailand might also like a westerner playing piano in the lobby.

I've seen some good Thai keyboard players in bands, but there isn't the same "feeling" in an electronic keyboard as a good player can get out of a real wooden piano.

I don't mean to belittle Thai musicians, but I have seen some pretty bad piano players in Thai hotels, including first class/deluxe hotels. I wonder if they care, or even know the difference. Admittedly, I've seen some that aren't that great in U.S. hotel lobbys too.

There's an awful lot of competent Thai musicians here. Players and teachers.

And quite a few foreigners coming from "low cost" countries also, especially Philippino. So your chances are pretty slim but no harm trying.

Look on the internet for the particulars of the first class hotels in the tourist destinations and send your resume,...

I don't know about that observation concerning 'good Thai musicians.' Those I've heard do mostly lousy immitations of the most common current pop stuff, and there are a couple of reasonably talented classical piano players around, but forget jazz. Thais haven't a clue.

Rosser was a truly fine jazz musician, whatever his moral failings might have been. He played at the Bamboo Bar in the Oriental where they bring in good, although not particularly famous, western musicians there. It's worth a try at least.

There are also a few other five star hotels that appear to have some interest in featuring western musicians when they can get them. Give it a shot, although you can't expect anything remotely like US style wages here.

I don't know about that observation concerning 'good Thai musicians.' Those I've heard do mostly lousy immitations of the most common current pop stuff, and there are a couple of reasonably talented classical piano players around, but forget jazz. Thais haven't a clue.

I beg to differ. I consider His Majesty the King of Thailand an excellent choice as a Jazz Musician along with many other Thai personalities that are of good quality.

I beg to differ. I consider His Majesty the King of Thailand an excellent choice as a Jazz Musician along with many other Thai personalities that are of good quality.

Well said Mouse. His Majesty is well renowned amongst jazz muso's

Sofitel in Hua Hin has an interesting lineup. There's an excellent female Cuban pianist (with backing band) playing each night. Some sets are electric, in the nightclub, and some are "unplugged" in the upstairs lobby using the house grand. There's an older Thai woman (actually think it might be two different ones) playing the same grand in the early eveing, doing classical and light pop. But not bad at all. Then there's a French fellow who plays original music in a classical style at tea time. He's quite good, though not as dynamic as I like. The Cuban girl is *hot*!

I suspect they book through an agency. But it's been a piano oasis since I found it. (I also play, and have been jonesing for some good stimulus and collaboration)

Overall, I don't think gig prospects are too good here. btw, a good friend of mine was arrested and deported for gigging without a work permit. Do be careful.

There are lots of expats in Bangkok, mostly Korean, Japanese or Taiwanese that are looking for piano teachers. I'm not sure if your expertise is in teaching it though, however there's plenty of money in it. They earn twice what private English teachers make. If you're an English native speaker all the better. Puting flyers up at luxury condos where many of these expats live might be a start.

If you fancy working in Chiang Mai, drop in to Mango Tree and have a chat. We employ a Thai jazz band at present, but would be only too happy to consider anyone who can play good jazz, blues and other interesting music, rather than the normal covers of easy listening pop tunes.