Is a university degree required to get a work permit?

I am currently in Thailand on a marriage visa, but there is an internet company that wants to hire me. I only have high school education. GED actually, which is the US equivalent of high school and also accepted by Thailand as such. Now, I read this thread from 2011:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/477081-new-work-permit-requirements-from-the-labor-department/

Where Sunbelt said that a university degree is required to get a work permit, but on the next 12 pages there was no clarification. I realize that post was 4 years ago and the rules may have changed since.

What's the current status? Is a university degree required to get a work permit? Or will high school education be enough? The company that wants to hire me says they don't require me to have a university degree and that they are satisfied with my skills.

Just out of interest, what non-skilled (I don't mean manual) work can a foreigner do here without a degree? I'm just curious what routes they could go down.

Depending what you consider non-skilled work.

AFAIK there are no jobs that expats can do here which qualify as non skilled.

One thing to remember is that in other countries it is possible to get a job and then learn the skill on the job, after 5-10 years (or less in reality) the person has far more skill than someone with a degree.

I have no degree yet I worked my way up from entry level jobs to very highly paid executive director level in several companies.

When I was head hunted from HK to Bangkok my lack of a degree mean't nothing to the company who wanted to hire me, what mattered was the experience I had.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, is it safe to say that whether an applicant has a degree or not (non-teaching jobs), the decision is solely based on the discretion from the Ministry of Labour? There is no fixed law stating a mandatory requirement of a degree? or.. what?

Strange... the answers here and the answers I found on other websites seems very vague, this is one of them: (http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/thai-work-permit-requirements.html#respond). As you can see, it says "You need to provide a proof of their Education Certificate (Degree+Transcripts)..

I read on another forum (I will post the link later) , there was a guy tried to apply for a job (non-teaching), but the employer said that the company cannot do so because it is required by the Ministry of Labour to have a university degree + transcript. Either the employer is misinformed or it is the truth?

Therefore, can someone who has a work permit (without a degree) give more assurance on this?

Thank you

Edited by jimborders

I think it also depends on the province. I have heard of some Immigration offices asking for a degree in the paperwork, whilst others don't

Nope

The DOL decides and its on the basis of the job description and qualifications the company gives them

So, is it safe to say that whether an applicant has a degree or not (non-teaching jobs), the decision is solely based on the discretion from the Ministry of Labour? There is no fixed law stating a mandatory requirement of a degree? or.. what?

Strange... the answers here and the answers I found on other websites seems very vague, this is one of them: (http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/thai-work-permit-requirements.html#respond). As you can see, it says "You need to provide a proof of their Education Certificate (Degree+Transcripts)..

I read on another forum (I will post the link later) , there was a guy tried to apply for a job (non-teaching), but the employer said that the company cannot do so because it is required by the Ministry of Labour to have a university degree + transcript. Either the employer is misinformed or it is the truth?

Therefore, can someone who has a work permit (without a degree) give more assurance on this?

Thank you

I have had a work permit with the same company for the past 23 years. I do not have a degree.

• Like 1