Couch surfers in my apartment

Quite often I have couch surfers from all around the world staying for free in my condo for a few days. Of course I do the immigration registration after they arrive to be on the safe side.

Anyway since daily rent out is illegal in houses with more then 4 rooms in it I wonder if having guests staying for free is considered as "renting out property". I would say since no money is involved it should be ok? But as this is Thailand who knows?

Where falang there Thais there ways are there ways

Remember they do not like to deal with us anyway

The only time they do is if there getting cash so I would not be concerned

An entertaining post insulting a whole nation by someone who can't be more than borderline illiterate...

If this is your attitude and approach to Thailand its hardly surprising you have had such negative experiences to develop such a generalised negative opinion.

[There / They're / Their]

On Topic:

If I were the Op, I'd perhaps be concerned about insurance i.e. covering these Guests should they have an accident in your place etc or decide to rob it ! - many household belongings policies become void if the culprit is a 'guest'...

Daily rent out illegal? How about renting out rooms short term via Airbnb? Lots of peeps do it!

I would think that in Thailand you'd need a hotel licence to rent out rooms by the day. If lots of people do it without licence, it doesn't mean that it's legal.

Let me translate this into English:

"We are foreigners here. They are Thais, and their ways are their ways."

I agree. As foreigners, we have to understand and to adapt to the the culture of the host country that we have chosen.

Hm. Who is "they"? If I don't like to deal with you, am I part of "they"? And who is "us"? Those people who don't care to learn the culture?

What exactly do you want from "them" that makes you live here? And why do you need to underline each of your sentences?

Edited by onthemoon

Daily rent out illegal? How about renting out rooms short term via Airbnb? Lots of peeps do it!

I would think that in Thailand you'd need a hotel licence to rent out rooms by the day. If lots of people do it without licence, it doesn't mean that it's legal.

You do need a hotel license to rent by the day, but there is a threshold before a license is required.

The threshold is for a building with a maximum of 4 rooms or for renting to more than 20 people (think dormitory). Any more and you need a license.

If you rent rooms by the month you can exceed these limits. As an example, apartment blocks don't need a hotel license.

Edited by blackcab

You do need a hotel license to rent by the day, but there is a threshold before a license is required.

The threshold is for a building with a maximum of 4 rooms or for renting to more than 20 people (think dormitory). Any more and you need a license.

If you rent rooms by the month you can exceed these limits. As an example, apartment blocks don't need a hotel license.

Blackcab is rapidly becoming the Ubon Joe of property threads.

Quite interesting. My house has more than four rooms: If a friend from Europe comes over and stays for a few days, do I have to register him with somebody? Do I need a licence?

An entertaining post insulting a whole nation by someone who can't be more than borderline illiterate...

If this is your attitude and approach to Thailand its hardly surprising you have had such negative experiences to develop such a generalised negative opinion.

On Topic:

If I were the Op, I'd perhaps be concerned about insurance i.e. covering these Guests should they have an accident in your place etc or decide to rob it ! - many household belongings policies become void if the culprit is a 'guest'...

An entertaining post insulting a whole nation by someone who can't be more than borderline illiterate..

Didn't you mean to say "literate" mate?

^^ this just confuses me blink.png

OP - you have a four room condo?? wink.png

Are you confused because he uses "where" for "we're" and "your" for "you're" or do you think he might be a little drunk?

Quite interesting. My house has more than four rooms: If a friend from Europe comes over and stays for a few days, do I have to register him with somebody? Do I need a licence?

If you are the house master you should complete a TM30. There are lots of posts about this in the visa forum.

You don't need a hotel license. What you are doing is not commercial. You are not charging your friend, so no business transaction has taken place. The key word to consider is "rent".

On Topic:

The guy is probably not a native speaker of English, and gets his English from internet posters.

If you are the house master you should complete a TM30. There are lots of posts about this in the visa forum.

You don't need a hotel license. What you are doing is not commercial. You are not charging your friend, so no business transaction has taken place. The key word to consider is "rent".

Wow, I had never heard of this. Just searched for "TM30". There is a lot if information out there indeed. Thanks for pointing me into the right direction.

Most apartment buildings require a minimum of 3 months rental commitment.

How then does airbnb work in Thailand?

RAZZ

like anywhere else.

you apply on the site, enter your credit card and you can start to rent.

website get their money 10 percent, they take care of booking page , payment with credit card, and advertising.

you arrange the rest with the customer. if he need airport pick up, where to get the key,...

How then does airbnb work in Thailand?

RAZZ

like anywhere else.

you apply on the site, enter your credit card and you can start to rent.

website get their money 10 percent, they take care of booking page , payment with credit card, and advertising.

you arrange the rest with the customer. if he need airport pick up, where to get the key,...

And at the end of the year, you declare the income to the tax office.

Of course , they will ask for your business licence and your work permit, that's quite normal.