Ukrainian arrested in Bangkok with 48 fake ATM cards

webfact

just make sure his bosses puppet masters are also apprehended and after 10 years in a Thai prison have them all deported and his associates back to where they come from and stamp passport non returnable thief will give them time to come up with a full proof plan how to steal money without getting caught again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I am not surprised.

Most of the ATM fraud in Thailand is committed by the Ukrainians and Romanians (Romanian and Moldavian Gypsies).

Also Chinese and Malaysians are very active in this field.

Akkaradej said police made the arrest after the CSD was informed by the SCB that some foreigners have been using fake ATM cards with account data of bank customers in the United States and Europe to withdraw cash from SCB ATM machines.

That's how the Ukrainians are expressing their gratitude towards America and Europe for all their support being provided to the Ukraine! coffee1.gif

yes you are 100% correct. first the Romanians (not just the Roma) and now the Ukrainians.

rubbish on your political rant.

Doesn't one need a pin code to withdraw money?

The first report says there searched his room and found 200,000 baht plus documents that had the pin codes, which I assume to these cards.

Sure makes you wonder how they can get such cards like this. I would think there would have to be some tight security for any bank to issue ATM Cards that can be used Internationally. So how can someone walk away with 48 cards and not be noticed? How can someone make 48 fake cards and yet somehow provide pin codes for them that works? Beets me?

But with Security Cameras at most ATM Machines, I think my first investment would be a good disguise.

If the banks wanted to make it harder for criminals to use skimmer machines they would post a security guard at the Atm. Even if a dollar was added, to pay for the extra security per transaction, would make fraud like this difficult.

I would agree with you accept this wouldn't work. If they knew a crime was being committed at the very moment this card was being used he would not be able to draw funds out right then, which is obviously not the case here. It might take a week or more to determine this card was a fraud.

Each card transaction has a transaction number, time, and date. Once they determine that a certain transaction was a fraud, they just match this transaction number to the time and date and then check the CCTV at the ATM Machine. That is why I wonder why they don't try to wear a disguise. Just match your photo to the Immigration photo, with your address on that, and you are done like Sunday Chicken.

Yes, I am not surprised.

Most of the ATM fraud in Thailand is committed by the Ukrainians and Romanians (Romanian and Moldavian Gypsies).

That's how the Ukrainians are expressing their gratitude towards America and Europe for all their support being provided to the Ukraine! coffee1.gif

Oh well, at least, no one has any doubts about your nationality, Barin ...

Sure, American

Yes, I am not surprised.

Akkaradej said police made the arrest after the CSD was informed by the SCB that some foreigners have been using fake ATM cards with account data of bank customers in the United States and Europe to withdraw cash from SCB ATM machines.

Maybe they come from the other Ukraine.

Yes, I am not surprised.

There are more "Quality" tourists on the way.

45 fake cards would have been fine, but 48 was over-the-top.

Just so long as yours wasn't among the 45 copies eh?

This SCB hacking thing went off around a couple or so months back and is ongoing? Why is it so easy to hack ATMs here? I really don't know how it's easier than the West. And at least in the West, there's recompense, not like here. Thieving bastards.

BTW, love how they always cite 'foreigners' when hacking is endemic within Thai society.

Do I have to draw you a picture? Thai's would never ever do this. Don't you read the other threads on Thai behavior.

45 fake cards would have been fine, but 48 was over-the-top.

Just so long as yours wasn't among the 45 copies eh?

This SCB hacking thing went off around a couple or so months back and is ongoing? Why is it so easy to hack ATMs here? I really don't know how it's easier than the West. And at least in the West, there's recompense, not like here. Thieving bastards.

BTW, love how they always cite 'foreigners' when hacking is endemic within Thai society.

Do I have to draw a picture? Thai's would never ever do this dirty deed. The banks are to blame as well because they have come to a standstill on converting to new technology. Thats why Thailand is a mecca for this kind of theft.

Yes, I am not surprised.

We never know.

However they have the same mentality, believe me...

I see two people in the photo were arrested and the other looks Asian/Thai. Was there any mention of him or did I miss something?

I just asked my wife and she said from reading the card in front of him that he is a high ranking policeman.

Yes, I am not surprised.

Yes I suppose Ukrainian criminals should be very grateful for your support of regime change.. gigglem.gif

my Bangkok Bank card has a chip in it, been refused twice now,only last week i bought some fishing kit in Pattaya, they were baffled why the machine would not recognise my card, good to know, so i paid cash.

Yes its very secure (unless i am proved wrong ) ,but the downside is that you can only get money out from a Bangkok Bank ATM .Not much of a problem in Thailand but if you are travelling abroad it wont work .That is why i also have ATM cards from other Thai banks also .I only use ATM at a Bank and as i press the numbers cover my hand .I also look for anything unusual with the ATM itself .

The article said they had PIN codes on a paper. Maybe they are cloned magnetic cards. So the holders did not know that their cards were stolen. And therefore they had not been closed I believe?

I believe they are cards from abroad that they use to withdraw in Thai ATM's as many still use the magnetic stripe in Thailand.

The sources of these cards is endless. Skimmed at ATMs, acquired from online payments via computer virus botnets, purchased from store employees who handle credit and debit cards, etc. They can be purchased via many channels, and typically come with the pre-cloned card and PIN numbers, or just a data file ready for burning the clones. For ATM cards, the PINs are alway included.

You are well advised, if possible, to check your accounts online every day for suspicious activity. I have had two credit cards stolen (both times by a store employee charging my purchase), being used for online purchases and in dubious establishments all around the world. One charge was at the Mumbai Bar in Beijing, China!

Ukrainians dominate the world in organized cyber crime, the are the cybermafia. They hack banks for card numbers and pin codes and partner with other countries like italy to manufacture actual cards which they usually sell on the black market. Ukrainians should get extra scrutiny at all airports and immigration checkpoints, including fingerprint and facial recognition checks. Meanwhile Thailand could stand to improve the quality of their surveillance cameras.

Yes, I am not surprised.

"That's how the Ukrainians are expressing their gratitude towards America and Europe for all their support being provided to the Ukraine!".

Criminals, from any quarter, do not represent a majority of the good, moral and law-abiding peoples of a country. Statements to the contrary are without merit.

Now if one were to say "That's how Ukrainian criminals are expressing their gratitude....", that, may make more sense.

Yes, I am not surprised.

We never know.

However they have the same mentality, believe me...

Yes sir, OK sir. Whatever you say sir.

I holiday in Pattaya twice a year.If someone cloned my card they'd have about 4 or 5 months to draw the lot out of my Thai account before I knew anything about it......Bugger!!

And here lies the problem.

With no paper or electronic statement sent on to normal accounts, your account could be rinsed without the bank or you ever knowing ... but as long as you have your `book bank` everything is ok to most banks. blink.png

Am I right in thinking that we never hear how long the sentences are that these scum get or is it just me not seeing it anywhere. For all we know they just get deported. A press release saying they get 10 years would at least put off some of the thieving scum.

There was an Aussie bloke featured on the Australian embassy series a week ago who was trying to get a new passport whilst out on bail for a similar offense, claiming the case was closed and that he'd now lost his passport. I believe the police found about 240 cards at his residence, anyway he was sentenced to 50 years.

Bangkok bank ,seem to have secure cards .The card has a chip ,and you have to use one of their ATMs .Not much use abroad though .

My Bangkok Bank has a chip, does,nt work abroad, old one was ok with no chip, I can use my Barclay card which has a chip abroad ok, why,s that?